Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

peanut posted:

The USA is a 3rd world country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

peanut posted:

Florida The US is a 3rd world country.

Whoops beaten

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've heard the US described as a small, wealthy nation occupying part of the same space as a large, impoverished, failing state.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. isn’t a developing nation because that would imply progress.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh god this gets better the more I look at it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm the slide next to the stairs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm the inexplicable lack of a way into the bathroom

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

it looks like there's a door behind the curtain

me i'm the inexplicable sink vanity at the bottom of the stairs

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Curtains on the right.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Curtains on the right.

exhibitionist bath party in front

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Curtains on the right.

I'm pretty sure the curtains are for privacy - there seems to be a set for the other window, behind the tub. There is an entry on the right, behind the curtain, but I'd assume it's a door.

The stairs slide is baffling, but the tub setup isn't all that terrible, IF: this is a single occupant or a couple's apartment, and if the whole thing was built correctly.

The chances of the latter are slim, however.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

I imagine we could make a thread dedicated to ADA violations because that is hosed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Holy poo poo the terror and confusion for anyone in that portion that stood up longer.

That’s just straight up terrifying.

peanut posted:

Florida is a 3rd world country.

:hmmyes:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Even if you get up on the step, the door will swing open and block you from getting in.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

That’s just straight up terrifying.

I don't recommend looking at the video again, but you can clearly see flashlights moving around in the section that fell last.

TheDarkOfKnight
May 14, 2003

All the world's a stage. Look at the lighting!

Plastik posted:

I don't recommend looking at the video again, but you can clearly see flashlights moving around in the section that fell last.

I've seen the video several times now and I think what looks like flashlights may be electrical arcing from wiring or something.

Not saying it's not possible but just offering a somewhat less depressing explanation.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Reflections of lights from other buildings as the windows move

Jows
May 8, 2002

Guy Axlerod posted:

Even if you get up on the step, the door will swing open and block you from getting in.

Unless the powered door is the left door. Hopefully the ramp is just out of frame on the left and that is the case.

It's probably not though....

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jows posted:

Unless the powered door is the left door. Hopefully the ramp is just out of frame on the left and that is the case.

It's probably not though....

Even if it was, it's terrible. Look where the big square button to open the door is. He's looking it it, it is on the grey wall.

Assume there is a ramp just out of frame on left of the picture. Now imagine the geometry of the approach to get up onto the ledge, go past the door to press the button, and then try to turn around and get past the door and in through the doorway before the starts to close. There are a lot of those buttons that are set far enough from the opening to be a pain in the rear end. A lot.

And that is why mom's service dog is trained to push those buttons for her. In her previous senior's assisted living facility the place you had to swipe your key fob to unlock the door was on the opposite side of the door from the button you had to push to get the door to open automatically. You had to make it to the button within a few seconds or the door would lock itself again. The folks installing those buttons don't seem to think about the logistics of a person with a mobility impairment using them.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: tl;dr: the US should do more and better for disabled folks.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Even if it was, it's terrible. Look where the big square button to open the door is. He's looking it it, it is on the grey wall.

Assume there is a ramp just out of frame on left of the picture. Now imagine the geometry of the approach to get up onto the ledge, go past the door to press the button, and then try to turn around and get past the door and in through the doorway before the starts to close. There are a lot of those buttons that are set far enough from the opening to be a pain in the rear end. A lot.

And that is why mom's service dog is trained to push those buttons for her. In her previous senior's assisted living facility the place you had to swipe your key fob to unlock the door was on the opposite side of the door from the button you had to push to get the door to open automatically. You had to make it to the button within a few seconds or the door would lock itself again. The folks installing those buttons don't seem to think about the logistics of a person with a mobility impairment using them.

Oh for sure. I was describing what could be the best case scenario which is still clearly awful. The ones that are right next to the door are also stupid. And then I found this one just yesterday: vestibule setup with outer and inner doors, the outdoor button opens the outer door, then a timer opens the inner door. There is no button in the vestibule for the inner door. Thankfully my experience with these things is only limited to pushing a stroller, but I can imagine that folks that NEED them have gotten stuck there.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Crunchy Black posted:

e: tl;dr: the US should do more and better for disabled folks.

The US is generally one of the better countries in the world when it comes to accommodations for physical accessibility. But yes, more needs to be done.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The gas station that I stop stop at for cash on the way to my dealer is brand new in the last year or so. They have handicapable spots available, but they are way far left of the door where the ramp is. The sidewalk to the front door after the ramp? Filled up with the ice cooler, firewood, and propane cage. There is literally no way for anyone in a standard wheelchair to get into that building.

Who the gently caress approved that design? Like I’m not the most sensitive or caring person but even I noticed that right away.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

what an amazing hero dog!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A friend's neighbor tapped into his power for a basement grow room, and he posted some pictures of the uh wiring. It's not construction in any orthodox sense but it's definitely a DIY of sorts.

(Not pictured - a bunch of photos of trash and clutter, too!)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

dwarf74 posted:

A friend's neighbor tapped into his power for a basement grow room, and he posted some pictures of the uh wiring. It's not construction in any orthodox sense but it's definitely a DIY of sorts.

(Not pictured - a bunch of photos of trash and clutter, too!)

I'm not usually in favor of narcs but seems like now might be a great time before his neighbor burns the building down. :psyduck:

Also expecting your neighbor to bankroll your lovely grow is Grade A butthead move.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sloppy posted:

I'm not usually in favor of narcs but seems like now might be a great time before his neighbor burns the building down. :psyduck:

Also expecting your neighbor to bankroll your lovely grow is Grade A butthead move.
The cops had apparently already been there and took all the products but not the lamps and poo poo.

e: It's a partitioned house with a shared basement, in case you're wondering how he's in here.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 28, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Breakers off, disconnect all the cabling and breakers back on.

Also, hide a couple cameras down there plus an obvious decoy. Ideally each one able to see the others, and also the decoy. Bet he removes the decoy and maybe the real one(s), would be good to have that as evidence.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

devmd01 posted:

This gas station that I stop at is brand new in the last year or so. They have handicapable spots available, but they are way far left of the door where the ramp is. The sidewalk to the front door after the ramp? Filled up with the ice cooler, firewood, and propane cage. There is literally no way for anyone in a standard wheelchair to get into that building.

Who the gently caress approved that design? Like I’m not the most sensitive or caring person but even I noticed that right away.

a lot of the time it's just ignorance or an oversight. someone working there was told they need to find a spot to put the propane cage and the ice cooler, and they didn't think far enough ahead to realize that putting it between the ramp and the door would block wheelchair users from getting up there

another thing is that (iirc) the ADA isn't something where you have to get a specific ADA signoff for every piece of construction or renovation. the law is there but enforcement is partially through provisions that allow someone with a disability to sue a place that doesn't have proper compliance for their public accommodations

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

e: It's a partitioned house with a shared basement, in case you're wondering how he's in here.

Kind of important.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lutha Mahtin posted:

another thing is that (iirc) the ADA isn't something where you have to get a specific ADA signoff for every piece of construction or renovation. the law is there but enforcement is partially through provisions that allow someone with a disability to sue a place that doesn't have proper compliance for their public accommodations

The vast majority of ADA litigation is brought by 20ish plaintiffs who are getting illegal kickbacks from the plaintiffs attorneys. The ADA is good for the public but enforcement of it is as capricious as can be.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Carpeted bathroom aside, have you ever had to vacuum the ceiling?

Also, where the door to this room?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

kid sinister posted:

My guess is there isn't one, the bathtub is open to the bedroom or master closet and there's enough space between it and the toilet for someone to enter.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kid sinister posted:

I think you are just stick in that room. Certainly couldn't be behind the photographer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Door? Kid, what would you want with a door :yeshaha:
Hahahahahah :unsmigghh:
HAHAHAHAHAH!
:choco:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I think you are just stick in that room. Certainly couldn't be behind the photographer.

I think you're right. I just assumed that tub hump went all the way to the wall towards the camera. It seems like this bathroom was shoved into a later finished attic.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

kid sinister posted:

I hate the idea of the mold stalactites that would form from the dust and moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib