Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

If you see an auto weapon that has "Create bullet/elemental ball on crit shot" take that poo poo real fast, those guns get kinda nuts.

I've only ever seen one of these but it was great. A Lava Revolver(?) with I think an 80% chance to spawn a lightning ball on crits. I would just hang back and fish for headshots, then watch shields and health melt away while I hid behind a rock :getin:

Minorkos posted:

It's pretty annoying to play this game solo since every random bullshit source of damage can end a run

I just had a sword bird run in Reincarnation 1 where my Fire Tower was hitting for 45k in the desert area, and the run ended because I jumped off a ledge into a fire trap that was hidden below it, which promptly did 160 damage to me in less than a second and I died

Sup firetrap oneshot buddy :hfive: I jumped straight down onto one and didn't even see the flames on my screen, just a few flashes of red and the pain soundclip a few times and I was dead before I even realized what was happening :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Just for curiosity's sake, this is the two new npcs in the Reincarnation difficulty:

This dude at the start of every area (so three times right now)

and rarely you can find this 'elite peddler' in the middle of the levels

Which upgrades weapons and scrolls you have by adding a suffix, increasing some stat

By the way, they said the game sold 1.5 million units already, so they are on their way to do 2M with the eventual 1.0 version, which would place it up there with the most popular roguelites.

edit: unrelated, but Bunny super girly sounds when she jumps and dash makes me roll my eyes.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 20, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Turin Turambar posted:

By the way, they said the game sold 1.5 million units already, so they are on their way to do 2M with the eventual 1.0 version, which would place it up there with the most popular roguelites.
These guys are so dumb, their game keeps getting cheaper as the game gets better instead of more expensive.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For once I actually remembered I can drop the occult scrolls. I had one that would duplicate your shield and put your HP to max 1. So in three, in the red chests, I had the option to pay with health some upgrades, but the game wouldn't let me because I had only 1 hp pool. So I removed the scroll,I would pay with my health, and then I would take the max 1hp scroll again. Result: I had three free upgrades!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Im_Special posted:

These guys are so dumb, their game keeps getting cheaper as the game gets better instead of more expensive.

Well, people buying the game means more people knowing about it, which means more people telling their friends about it, which means more sales and so on. They could probably charge a couple of dollars more but one of the reasons I picked the game up was "hey it's 11 euros how bad can it be" and it turned out to legitimately be better than most full-fledged AAA titles, and the latest update basically addressed all of my personal problems with the game. It really is a fantastic game, especially for its price.

I guess the only thing I'd like to see is something like the downed system from Borderlands so that I wouldn't have to play so gosh darn carefully in Nightmare+ difficulties

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 20, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Im_Special posted:

Alt: their game gets cheaper as they run through the people with higher willingness to pay for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Alt2: Get game as in as many hands as possible, then completely F the game's balance over with the v1.0 release, but fixed by adding loads of Pay2Win DLC that you pretty much now need to just beat normal. Souls can only be acquired with real cash via micro-transactions with terrible conversion rates, ie. buy thing in game for 600, 1200 souls, they can only be bought in 500 increments. Devious, and quite genius actually.

But seriously I keep seeing their game getting cheaper over time with deeper discounts then the last and normally EA games increase in price as scope and quality go up. I just want these guys to make more bank then they currently are because they deserve it. (and secretly so they can hire some random from reddit to fix the bunnies mouth.)

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Just finished an elite run as Tao while never actively summoning swords. It's also my first time winning on elite and my first solo win so all in all I'm pretty happy.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Im_Special posted:

Alt2: Get game as in as many hands as possible, then completely F the game's balance over with the v1.0 release, but fixed by adding loads of Pay2Win DLC that you pretty much now need to just beat normal. Souls can only be acquired with real cash via micro-transactions with terrible conversion rates, ie. buy thing in game for 600, 1200 souls, they can only be bought in 500 increments. Devious, and quite genius actually.

But seriously I keep seeing their game getting cheaper over time with deeper discounts then the last and normally EA games increase in price as scope and quality go up. I just want these guys to make more bank then they currently are because they deserve it. (and secretly so they can hire some random from reddit to fix the bunnies mouth.)

Yeah, it is true that it definitely feels underpriced for how much you get out of it. Very glad they seem to have hit the insane volume of sales which probably means they will be set either way and can keep developing, though I don’t have a great sense of how big they actually are/how high their expenses are.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm really struggling to think of a use for shotguns that aren't Wild Hunt. Argus and Pupil seem especially awful. Other shotguns like Hell, Sunder and Illusion aren't quite so bad, but they also don't poo poo out infinite damage in the correct circumstances like Wild Hunt does

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Minorkos posted:

I'm really struggling to think of a use for shotguns that aren't Wild Hunt. Argus and Pupil seem especially awful. Other shotguns like Hell, Sunder and Illusion aren't quite so bad, but they also don't poo poo out infinite damage in the correct circumstances like Wild Hunt does

Illusion is nice, and great for Tao. Although I consider it more an autocannon than a shotgun lol. I like Hell more than Wild Hunt. Argus I don't like, and Pupil can be fine, on close range can be spammed and it has the option of sniping with it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Sunder has always worked out well for me when I got good rolls on it. It can sweep a big area at head level and clear out a whole group and getting 3 or 4 hits on bosses usually.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I've been playing around with the melee weapons a bit more. They're okay, but I'm kind of disappointed that they're mostly only good as back up weapons. It seems like their best aspect is the 30% movement speed increase they give while equipped, which helps with dodging red circles and so on.

Fire Tower seems like the best sword, Poisonous Ghost is decent and the lightning sword thing seems kind of bad. The first two have good base damage and are thus pretty good at clearing trash, especially Fire Tower, but it doesn't feel like there's a build that makes them go from "it's okay" to "I'm killing everything now" like most other weapons do. Also it's kind of hard to stay alive while using them because you have to stay in melee range, which is tough in a game where the best way to avoid dying is to kill enemies from a mile away before they have a chance to do anything.

It also doesn't seem like any of the swords are outright great on any character, though some of them have some synergies with them.

Dog fella just can't use them at all because of the dual wield limitation, which is a shame, because they would probably be good on him.

Cat prince, lighting cat and bunny girl all have some small synergies, but they usually have vastly better and safer options available to them, so usually you're probably better off using a different weapon for damage and only bringing out the sword for dodging red circles.

Bird seems to have the best toolset for actually staying alive while using swords, and he has some damage synergies with them as well. I think he's probably the best candidate for using them simply because the 30% movement speed helps when you're doing a cleave build. But even on bird, you're likely better off bringing out a shotgun for dealing with bosses and other big enemies.

Maybe the next hero will actually be able to use a sword as a dedicated primary effectively.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 21, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Illusion is far and away my favorite weapon in the game. It hits at a surprisingly long range for a shotgun, and up close the spread is tight enough to multi-crit enemies.

When it rolls with good affixes (elemental damage, extra projectiles, etc.), it just gets ridiculous, to the point where it can delete the act 1 and 2 bosses in seconds.

I don't actually like the way Wild Hunt feels when shooting, and other others feel underpowered.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Aside from Illusion, which is just genuinely good even without inscriptions, Argus, Hell and Wild Hunt all require certain inscriptions to get nuts with Argus and Hell especially needing exclusive/rare ones. If you ever see an Argus with "Chance to make Fireball/Corrosionball/Bullets on crit hit" with any other half decent inscriptions pick it up and laugh as you shoot something in the head and everything around it dies.

As for melee weapons IMO Fire Tower is probably the best of the bunch by far, especially with a particular exclusive inscription that is a 50% chance to deal double damage if only one enemy is in 3m of you. Add in the insane base damage from levelling it up, a decent amount of lucky shot and you can hit for 50k+ damage. It also works well on the new Abyss Serpent boss in Duo Frejlord as they convientantly lay themselves flat with their weakspot in front of you during one of its regular attacks. Lu Wu would also be fine, but generally the others are not so great for it I'd agree.

Bird is def the best beneficiary of melee however, as he wants to be in enemy faces anyway.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wild Hunt is a funny one for me, because picking up any amount of clip-extending inscriptions or scrolls just turns it into a machine gun vaguely shaped like a shotgun. I once had one with a 30+ clip thanks to gemini inscriptions and that was a hell of a time.

If you do go that route you could really use some stability inscriptions though, unless you just wanna stare at the skybox the whole time.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Man the more I'm playing with the melee weapons, the more I'm really liking them. Flowing Light (the electric sword) is pretty much the only dud, both the fire and corrosion swords are nuts. 30% more movespeed, you'll kill any mook in 2ish hits or less. They make great secondary weapons for moving around as well, and with certain inscriptions you can even slap big boys too.

IMO they're best used on Bird and Bunny. Bird gonna be up in faces anyway and has armor regen on demand with Leap (Cleave with ascensions) while Bunny gets up to 50% extra move speed on kills and her final talent forces her shield to recharge on kill and it can't be interrupted, mitigating the risk of being up close. They're seriously fun.

Bunny with Against the Flow Occult Scroll with a huge mag weapon is something everyone needs to try btw. It's big Heavy or Pyro from tf2 vibes except you're fast and I love it. :allears:

While I do a lot of solo if anyone is interested in some co-op play DM me or something, I'd love to play this game with some goons.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What's everybody's win rate on Nightmare+ difficulties? I feel like I'm real bad at this game because I can only consistently get to act 2 with bird and only win when I luck out on a lot of good damage mitigation. The amount of damage enemies pump out just feels unreal.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'd have see if I have a stats page to give an accurate read but generally 50ish%? Probably lower especially when solo, you can die pretty quick even with a busted build if you trap yourself in a corner or get too relaxed around certain enemies.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Update

quote:

Here are details of this update:
Monsters:

Optimized the foreshadowed performance of [Abyssal Serpent]'s bite skill
Reduced the duration of [Abyssal Serpent]'s animation recovery when releasing skills in normal and elite difficulty
Increased the explosion range of [Abyssal Serpent]'s triple spit

Reincarnation Mode:

Optimized the effect of [Field Proficiency], which player would gain buff after assisting in killing elite monsters

Sound Effects:

Optimized trigger frequency of [Tao]'s voices

Special Effects & Models:

Optimized [Tao]'s model
Optimized the special effect of [Abyssal Serpent] in logbook

User Interface:

Shorten the time required to long-press recycle and long-press discard

BUG Fixes:

It seems they changed Tao's model. Also made the Serpent a bit harder and made the recycle option a bit faster. All good stuff.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Good, she looked like poo poo before :v:
Does anybody actually recycle things? I've only used it like once and it was to get the last 10 coins I needed to reroll a gemini mod again.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wow Tao looks way better now, that's way less uncanny valley. Amazing what a couple of lines can do.

I pretty much constantly recycle now, been forcing it as a habit to make. It can pay off quite a bit in the long run.

As an aside, I was co-oping with a friend the other day in Nightmare who was playing the Tiger and via a combination of ascensions, occult scrolls, and weapon inscriptions (including gemini) managed to do 1.2 million damage in one shot. :staredog:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man, it took me a while but I finally finished a Nightmare Run with Tao! I was able to do this pretty easily with Lei Luo and Qing Yan, but Tao I've been trying for a ton of runs. I think it's partially because I don't like Rapid Fire weapons nearly as much as, well, pretty much ever other weapon type. This time I managed it because I got a Rainbow Arch with fire element and 3 lucky shot inscriptions, then got the gemini that let it share elements with another weapon. Love making a gun that can confuse all by itself. :v:

On that note, what are people's favorite rapid-fire guns? I do really like both Rainbow Arch and Dragonchaser for effectively the same reason: they're good mid-range guns, but their alternate fire gives them really, really good options for sniping. Dual Fang also stands out for me because, well, I love that it has two elements. On the other side of the coin, man, Injectors really seem terrible to me. The only time I've ever felt like injectors do good damage is when I get them with the gemini that combines CritX: A Laser Glove with 7x Crit multiplier really does do an absurd amount of damage.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah everybody but the Prince can grind bosses to dust given very specific circumstances. The bunny is probably the most consistent anti-boss character because a Porcupine can activate her Q up to 8.75 times a second with no goblets, scrolls, or weapon mods factored in. Fish Or Bear Paw on its own doubles that.

If you wanna do a Q-focused build on the bunny btw the best weapons for it are:
Porcupine: 8.75 procs a second -- realistically it's more like 5 between some of the primary fire projectiles going the wrong way and having to click for each shot instead of being full-auto.
Illusion: 3.75 procs a second
Thunderclap Glove: 1.33 procs a second, AOE.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've had pretty consistent wins with Tao on Nightmare because the big stumbling block is the fat sacks of HP that you can get from specific modifiers combing, and both her swords and the Mainstay Weapon ascensions are great for massive amounts of sustained damage. Also she has easy access to probably one of the best defensive ascensions in the game imo

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

For the Prince elemental weapons is still pretty much the way to go right?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pretty much yeah, the sheer amount of extra damage he can get for them is real good, and easy access to Corrosion via grenades makes for easy Blight on chunky targets.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

I've had pretty consistent wins with Tao on Nightmare because the big stumbling block is the fat sacks of HP that you can get from specific modifiers combing, and both her swords and the Mainstay Weapon ascensions are great for massive amounts of sustained damage. Also she has easy access to probably one of the best defensive ascensions in the game imo

Are you talking about the shield per sword one?

I think my best run was a Tao run with that, swords per Q and swords randomly. Random swords giving shield and damage were amazing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

WarpedLichen posted:

Are you talking about the shield per sword one?

I think my best run was a Tao run with that, swords per Q and swords randomly. Random swords giving shield and damage were amazing.

Yeah, even level 1 of the shield per sword is nuts.

Tangentially holy poo poo Reincarnation 2. Just did my first run in it with a buddy and got a win but uh. I ended up dealing a total of 30 million damage while my buddy only did a measly 24 million damage. Even basic, no modifiers grunts were feeling chonky and anything with Robust or Defensive had a ludicrous amount of health. The final boss was 100% only killable because I was Tao with a disgusting Hippo and a bunch of Occult Scrolls that helped me never lose ammo. My friend who was playing Lei Luo was pretty much just jumping around back and forth trying not to die to Abyss Serpent while I just kept the damage hose on. Pretty sure I pulled ahead of him in damage from that final boss fight alone.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Who dis? Did I just accept a random non-Goon to the group???

Also regarding the above about melee weapons, I think their hot garbage, I've been really trying to make them work but they do everything worse then a regular weapon can do, at a range and safer, they also have really bad inscriptions, like recover ammo on a miss, stupid. They need to overhaul the melee weapon inscriptions I think to make them good, something to offset the risk of using them. I also hate how they block like 50% of your view when you are swinging, in fact those are my most hated weapons, Tiger Cannon, Talisman, etc. just because they're shoved in your face at all times.

And regarding winrates on Nightmare+, I'd say normally between 60%, but only got up to Reincarnation+3 unlocked so far though, and mostly play Elite (I'm pro, what can I say.). But for the last few dozen games, since Tao dropped have been terrible for me, even on Elite, but only because I'm really trying to give other weapons I don't instantly gravitate to and then have the game on lock afterwards a chance, like melee... If I play the best Hero (Lightning God) I can win very constantly though, pretty much impossible to build him wrong even when the RNG decides to try its hardest.

Tao's mouth is indeed improved, but still looks to human-like in game (not that I look at it or anything, weirdos).

Expectation vs. Reality

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

That's my request.

Tiger seems real bad after they nerfed most of his good ascensions last patch? No idea what you do on him now.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

After some more play and some thinking keeping the question "What makes a good gun?" in mind... I realized the answer is Exclusive Inscriptions, with certain Rare inscriptions also contributing. Every weapon type has at least two Exclusive inscriptions that really turn a weapon from merely good if it has a few +damage/lucky shot green inscriptions to looking at things and they keel over dead before you shoot them. Melee weapons especially need at least one of the good Exclusives to be scale to a damage level that is anywhere near worth the risk.

That said melee weapons always have a use even if their damage is pointless, especially if you already have an amazing weapon to carry you: +30% movement speed. It is seriously nuts how nice it is to just have a melee weapon swap to travel around.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Melee weapon + the scroll that increases a lot your speed in exchange of the dash is my thing. Maybe not efficient, maybe too risky, but always fun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

WarpedLichen posted:

That's my request.

Tiger seems real bad after they nerfed most of his good ascensions last patch? No idea what you do on him now.

Tiger puts out disgusting amounts of damage with a good sniper, like some exclusive inscribed double calibres, along with talent that makes you do extra damage if theres no enemies in 12m, stacking sniper damage on same enemy, trigger lightning on crit, do extra crit damage if >4x, geminis sharing critx, etc. Tiger shines better in co-op with someone else to distract though but he's basically sniper god putting out million damage a shot. Most of the Fatal Current/Chain Lightning stuff is fairly bad though so you are somewhat reliant on getting some of those sniper talents and a good sniper but he's extremely strong, but moreso in co-op especially if you can share off your close-range/useless scrolls and get those longer range scrolls like Long Shot and Hawkeye Sight etc

I don't really like what they did to Golden Bow or Woodpecker though.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 27, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Xaris posted:

I don't really like what they did to Golden Bow or Woodpecker though.
I didn't like the Golden Bow before and don't like it now, but it breaks my heart what the previously-great Woodpecker has become.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The only sniper-type weapon I've ever been good with is that serrated harpoon thing that causes bleeding through shields and armor. Really nerfs a lot of the long range enemies in the desert maps when you can sneak a headshot in and watch them bleed to death from behind a rock.

Are there any game-changing guns or scrolls that have tough unlocks? Most of the ones I have left are just Kill <boss> on Elite or higher, but I don't know if any of them are worth specifically working towards over any of the others. That lobster one sounds like a pain, but I wonder if the killing them with fire requirement is a 'boiling alive' reference...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Turin Turambar posted:

Melee weapon + the scroll that increases a lot your speed in exchange of the dash is my thing. Maybe not efficient, maybe too risky, but always fun.

Good news, Ostrich Rider now only increases your Dash CD by 300% instead of removing it! It's pretty great tearing around with a melee weapon though.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

The only sniper-type weapon I've ever been good with is that serrated harpoon thing that causes bleeding through shields and armor. Really nerfs a lot of the long range enemies in the desert maps when you can sneak a headshot in and watch them bleed to death from behind a rock.

Are there any game-changing guns or scrolls that have tough unlocks? Most of the ones I have left are just Kill <boss> on Elite or higher, but I don't know if any of them are worth specifically working towards over any of the others. That lobster one sounds like a pain, but I wonder if the killing them with fire requirement is a 'boiling alive' reference...

Not really, most of the good unlocks you'll get as you play naturally.

The killing lobsters with fire unlock (demonlore) is by far the slowest one. Demonlore isn't a great weapon due to bad accuracy and low mag size, but if you get something that lets you never reload (arms depot or against the flow + mag capacity), it becomes the best weapon in the game for that run because of an innate stacking damage bonus for hitting crits.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've been doing tiger with bow, but some scrolls are like +50% on last shot. Bow only does one shot per load, so are all shots then +50?

I've been mostly getting sniper upgrade perks, and with the bow splitting into three it seems to do a good amount of damage.

2nd slot is usually shotgun.

I'm terrible at the game though, and after 40 hours just now beat the second world for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Harminoff posted:

I've been doing tiger with bow, but some scrolls are like +50% on last shot. Bow only does one shot per load, so are all shots then +50?

Yes. IIRC bows and kunais always count as full ammo but are unaffected by reload speed bonuses.