Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The first Nier has higher highs and lower lows than Automata, and a better cast. Automata never gets into eye rolling territory like the first one did for me, but it also failed to connect with me in the same way as far as its main cast.

I do think Replicant has the better combat though, because it delivered what it promises. The game never pretends to be anything other than an action rpg, and that's all you ever get. Automata has the phantom pain of being designed as a character action game, but the design surrounding it (level system and enemy design) don't mesh at all with it, so it ended up feeling really unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

I mean you're in the thread for fans of the game, what do you think we're going to tell you?

I'm in a thread for a game, I don't assume everyone in it will have the exact same opinion of that game, see any in thread on a game ever.

beep by grandpa posted:

Omfg you're a grown-up; if you want to play it, play it! What are you asking us for

Omfg, I'm a grown-up, with limited time to play games and am interested in taking into consideration the opinions of others before investing dozens of hours into something! If I was sure I wanted to play it I wouldn't have asked.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

You've read the plot synopsis, that's just like playing the game, right?

If you're interested enough to ask just do it. I read the LP, but it's a very different experience to play the game directly. The remake also has:
-better graphics
-new cutscenes and content not in the original
-you play as brother Nier instead of Dad
-you get to experience boar-drifting first hand!

If you don't get why playing the game yourself is different from reading a screenshot LP please go outside today and try to figure out why that's different from reading about it.

The LP hardly seemed like a synopsis, I thought it was really thorough and well done, I definitely feel like I got a good feel for what playing the original Nier would have been like. I sincerely doubt I would have ever muddled my way through that game and would have lost out on some wonderful storytelling and hilarious bits. It's an RPG, if there was little to no difference in the narrative and the gameplay was as tedious as the original seemed to be then I can think of better ways to spend my time.

Thanks to everyone that a gave a thoughtful response, you've given me a lot to think about and consider, I appreciate hearing your perspectives.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey I’m the only one that is willing to tell him the truth.

I’ve done both and there really isn’t a difference

If people want to get mad at that I’m okay with that

Dude this is such a stupid and lazy copout to just throw out there a silly, clearly antagonist take and add that anyone disagreeing with you is getting mad, chill lol

My experience with Nier is also tied up in LPs - I was interested in playing Nier before Nier Automata came out due to all the hype, didn't know what the big hook was, and fell off I think around the time of the 2nd Aerie visit. Nothing was really hooking me storywise, the gameplay was so slow and cumbersome, and fell off hard.

Ended up binging the entire Super Best Friends LP like the week or two before Automata came out cause my area got hit with a bad snowstorm and I had nothing else to do. Loved the plot twist, loved the characters, but the gameplay just wasn't for me. All these years later and I really wanted to experience it for myself firsthand so I ended up getting Nier Replicant Ver 1.22 on day 1 and enjoyed the poo poo out of it and Platinumed it in about a month :c00l:

I know this isn't everyone's experience but there have been many games that I've bought and played solely through experience an LP first, whether it was watching part of it or the whole thing. For me, if I am really interested in the game then there is absolutely no replacing the feeling of having my own personal engagement with it- without other voices, and completely at my own pace.

Levin posted:

I'm in a thread for a game, I don't assume everyone in it will have the exact same opinion of that game, see any in thread on a game ever.

Omfg, I'm a grown-up, with limited time to play games and am interested in taking into consideration the opinions of others before investing dozens of hours into something! If I was sure I wanted to play it I wouldn't have asked.

The reason some of us are poking fun at you is because you clearly enjoyed the game through the LP, you clearly are interested in it, but us telling you it's a good game that's worth playing still isn't enough for you and it's not clear why you're being so wishywashy about it. IMO if you have a gaming PC just buy it on steam and set a timer for 90 minutes when you launch it, and if you don't like it in that time, refund it (on Steam you can fully refund any game no questions asked as long as it's within 2 weeks of purchase and you haven't gone over 2 hours)

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 27, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Never play anything, just watch twitch streamers having all the fun.

It’s almost exactly like playing games yourself and you can also feel good about the fact you’re helping to line some hooting and hollering turd’s pockets, while building their brand along with an exciting new parasocial relationship.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

Edit: I've tried to get my spoiler tags working for like three edits now and they show up in the edit window but not my post. I have no idea what's going on there.

I fixed it! The problem was the spoiler tag in your first quote wasn't closed and it confused the whole markup system.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think the game’s worth experiencing even if you’ve read the LP; if only for the music, the whole game is a huge mood that doesn’t fully come across in screenshots I don’t think. Also I like dark id, but his voice is very present in his LPs and I think it’s worth just experiencing the game for what it is rather than with a commentary track

Also everybody please be normal and stop raging at the person asking questions about video games

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

No one, including the guy who asked, was raging whatsoever and he handled the teasing with class.

It was the tamest of ball busting and all of us including myself did provide helpful additional insight, suggestions and answers :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Alright enough of that. To be more positive,

If you are a crazy person like me who put 40+ hours into this game and still was starved for Nier content after ending E, I was looking on youtube and was recommended some 2 and a half hour+ podcast on Nier, and I had it sitting in my queue for a bit dreading listening to it cause from its length I expected a couple of stuttering nerds talking in circles into lovely laptop mics with no post-production and that I would just skip through parts to see if anything was worth catching.

However I turned out to be the stuttering fool as this would actually be perhaps the most well-produced podcast I think I ever seen pretty much ever. Very professional and cool looking set, well-structured talking points (at the start of each episode they tell you they've only played up to point x and that they'll only be spoiling up to that point if you're playing along, even tho they've both played the game before), great post-production with relevant video cuts, articulate & pleasant speaking voices and my one dude is a goddamn dreamboat if we're being completely honest here lol. I had a great time going through these while working out and I've been slowly going through their whole channel's retrospectives on Final Fantasy and other JRPGs ever since (I'm roughly halfway through their 10 hour analysis of FFVIII). I really dig how pro these guys are in their production as well as their passion for JRPGs, and it's been a refreshing change of pace compared to other stuff I've listened to lately.

Here are parts 1 and 2, with part 3 forthcoming and should be going up basically any day now according to their twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRpHz-rtpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAWPJzFV6M8

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 27, 2021

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I've finally been able to put in a good amount of time into Replicant and I'm now on the path to Ending E.

I was kind of hesitant at first when I saw that I had to replay a chunk of the first half again, but I actually am fine with it now that I've played through it. I really liked the twist of it all being part of Kainé's dream, and I'm loving her gameplay.

And now Emil is back and called them Team Kamil. :3:

This is such a wonderful game.

EDIT: Ending E finished. Definitely on the list of favorite games of the year.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 28, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Momomo posted:

The first Nier has higher highs and lower lows than Automata, and a better cast. Automata never gets into eye rolling territory like the first one did for me, but it also failed to connect with me in the same way as far as its main cast.

I do think Replicant has the better combat though, because it delivered what it promises. The game never pretends to be anything other than an action rpg, and that's all you ever get. Automata has the phantom pain of being designed as a character action game, but the design surrounding it (level system and enemy design) don't mesh at all with it, so it ended up feeling really unsatisfying.

See, this is the kind of thing that makes it very difficult for me to take preferring the original Nier (and its remake) as anything but nostalgia.

Nier Replicant's combat is the same as Automata's but worse. You still have enemies unable to respond to your toolkit, level based combat, and even more limited variety, but everything else is weaker. Even if Automata didn't spend as much time there as it should have, the sweet spot existed, and it was fun just to move around with your abilities and to see how they played off each other. What's more, the chip system was much better in an action RPG sense, with some real ability to customize your playstyle, while the words in Replicant are barely a side note. I accept that expectations may have been higher for Automata, but that's just grading a better student on a harsher curve, not a change in whose work is more impressive.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think the game’s worth experiencing even if you’ve read the LP; if only for the music, the whole game is a huge mood that doesn’t fully come across in screenshots I don’t think.

I rarely notice specific tracks in games. I remember all the main tunes in Nier, it's extremely good. The lyrics don't make any sense and somehow they seem just right for what the song is trying to convey (? dunno how to explain, someone who knows more about music could explain better) the game is something to be experienced.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Levin posted:

The LP hardly seemed like a synopsis, I thought it was really thorough and well done, I definitely feel like I got a good feel for what playing the original Nier would have been like. I sincerely doubt I would have ever muddled my way through that game and would have lost out on some wonderful storytelling and hilarious bits. It's an RPG, if there was little to no difference in the narrative and the gameplay was as tedious as the original seemed to be then I can think of better ways to spend my time.

Thanks to everyone that a gave a thoughtful response, you've given me a lot to think about and consider, I appreciate hearing your perspectives.

Just play the game

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mobile game comes out end of July. I’m just hoping to see enough of the story with F2P and rely on the whales to fill in the blanks.

https://twitter.com/nierreinen/status/1409708203252744198?s=21

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I finished. Didn't get the plat, don't think I will any time soon, because the material drop rates are horrible, but I at least saw the final ending.

I liked the last act, I think. Lots of call-forwards to Automata, new combat mechanics, integration of story and gameplay with Nier's absence made obvious by the need for his and Weiss's abilities in the final boss fight... good stuff. Maybe the best stuff in the game in some ways. That said, I'm not sure how I like its interaction with the base ending. Undermining it is kind of defying fate, which works okay for the characters, and the original ending felt a bit arbitrary in its mechanics, but at the same time, making a massive sacrifice means less when you know it can get undone.

As for the game overall?

Man.

There is a lot of padding, isn't there?

60 hours to beat the game, and I'd be surprised if 30 hours was made of new content. Even the stuff that isn't full-on replays mostly sticks to the same areas, with a lot of running back and forth that was apparently even worse in the original.

And where I've argued for Automata's repetition serving a purpose, you don't get the same thing for most of the original. Instead of getting areas like Pascal's village built up for later payoff, you get all the tragedy in run one, with only the ending really benefitting from getting more familiar with the cast. (Which also is hurt by the limited new content, because hearing the same things from Emil every boss fight while waiting to be able to actually hurt the thing is less endearing than Emil's default.)

The Mermaid quest was the only part that really stood out as gaining something from three runs rather than two. (Almost like the team had improved in the decade since the original.) Mostly, it was just tedium for no real benefit.

I liked it overall. But Automata kinda kicked the poo poo out of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The ending kinda feels like it exists for everyone who played the old Nier, like I know that’s not quite the case since it and the Shipwreck always were intended parts of the game and have short stories written up for them, but yeah that’s how it feels, which kinda makes it feel less cheap. Plus, its a happy ending for the team but everything’s still hosed no matter what.

but yeah, Nier Replicant really deserved a flat-out remake and not just a high quality remaster cause it has all the bits and pieces of one of the absolute greatest games of all time in it but god, that chaff. i kinda get it on some level cause there IS an achievement to beat the game in six hours that apparently isnt all that hard to earn but the game really reaches the point of self-parody with the C Route, which thankfully has at least a few new things in the 1.3…. version. It’s a shame mowing down Gestalts doesn’t really feel very good at all but you largely become desensitized to it after the third playthrough. I’m glad I played it and don’t regret dropping the money for full price, but idk if I can see myself going back to it to the same extent I can Automata.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lara put out a 2 hour Nier piano collection today. Of all the Nier songs she learned by ear. She listens to the tracks, learns them, and plays them back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9mRgpiobg4

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1414933384334389257

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

quote:

• Global illumination
A new “Global illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels; High, Medium or Low.

Ok so they have actually taken inspiration from FAR, then. That's nice. Hope they get the fullscreen resolution bug, too. It'd be nice if the game actually fully worked without a "fixer"-mod.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Did spears get nerfed in Replicant 1.22? I remember the heavy attack on spears being absurdly good in the original, but it seems hella slow and cumbersome now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Did spears get nerfed in Replicant 1.22? I remember the heavy attack on spears being absurdly good in the original, but it seems hella slow and cumbersome now.

It was nerfed a bit according to every source I've seen, yeah. Probably came about because it was the obvious solution to every problem in the first version.

Also, replayed the opening to Automata to make sure it wasn't just memory being kind, and yeah. That combat feels so much better.

It's not just that, though. Nier has a solid hook with the snow scene and the timeskip that gets the player to wonder what's happening next... before they find out what's happening next is a bunch of fetch quests. Meanwhile, the whole first hour of Automata is a thrill ride, switching formats on the fly, with a lot of really good timing and safety nets you don't see until you need them. (Putting the first level up heal right after the segment where you probably took some damage from crashing is brilliant.) The lack of saving makes it infamous, but it's a drat good opening act, and the stress from the lack of saving makes the more calm meeting with the resistance a relief rather than an irritation.

Basically, Nier is a really interesting prototype and a fascinating work of art, Automata builds on it to make a great game.

Even the save erase is massively improved on in its second iteration!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Shadowlord's castle (memory) by itself on piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ApG6guEBE

It's because of SA that this video and the previous posted 2 hour one exists. Because in 2013 I asked for a game recommendation here that had great music and someone told me Nier. I was linked to Gods Bound by Rules and it was amazing. They became my favorite all time games and I introduced Lara to all of the songs. Gradually asked her to learn the entire OST

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3196783&pagenumber=213&perpage=40#post423495593

I had the nerve here to ask about it's poor reviews

some bust on that guy posted:

That sounds nice but why did Nier get such poor reviews? 67% at metacritic. 69% at gamerankings.

but luckily I always trusted SA opinions over reviews

Yet I still don't know if I have it in me to get Endings C and D on Replicant. I was on B and haven't played it in a few weeks. Just so much repetition

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That sent me into an OST rabbit hole again and man, I forgot how much cooler the original Gods bound by Rules was. The remake version is good too, but the drums on the original were something else

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

That sent me into an OST rabbit hole again and man, I forgot how much cooler the original Gods bound by Rules was. The remake version is good too, but the drums on the original were something else

Yes, that was the most disappointing thing about the remake since it's my favorite Nier song.
I always give Lara the original version to use (Which she plays here at 2:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9mRgpiobg4)

On the other hand, I do like the remake's versions of City of Commerce and Shadowlord's Castle over the original. At least we only hear Gods Bound by Rules once. I leave the game on plenty for City of Commerce.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yet I still don't know if I have it in me to get Endings C and D on Replicant. I was on B and haven't played it in a few weeks. Just so much repetition

Do it

Just do what I did and put on some podcasts or videos while you grind. It's not that bad (unless you're a crazy person who wants to spend 20 hours farming Junk Heap and over over for the optional weapon max upgrade achievement)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was so sure memory alloy was one of the recycled world drops and learning otherwise broke my heart

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yes, that was the most disappointing thing about the remake since it's my favorite Nier song.
I always give Lara the original version to use (Which she plays here at 2:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9mRgpiobg4)

On the other hand, I do like the remake's versions of City of Commerce and Shadowlord's Castle over the original. At least we only hear Gods Bound by Rules once. I leave the game on plenty for City of Commerce.

I also like the remastered Aerie theme over the original, too; giving more emphasis to the male vocals going "bum bum bum" for the percussion was a strong choice that made the whole place more atmospheric.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spicy take - Endings C and D aren't worth the long monotonous playthroughs required to reach them. For 5+ hours of replaying the exact same thing again you get maybe 10 minutes of new stuff, and it's in no way interesting enough to justify it. It's worth doing for Ending E though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I hope you mean “playthrough”, as in you reloaded your endgame C save instead of replaying again, but yeah, not exactly a contentious take even for hardcore fans; Replicant kinda does itself a disservice by not consolidating everything new into the B Route and just kicking you back to the endgame to get all the weapons/new endings cause the whole idea of rampant murder of humans that are largely defending/retaliating against the insane murder boy as he barges into their home with a singleminded obsession of killing every last one of them is pretty harrowing…the first time and a half. The ludonarritive dissonance gets pretty strong halfway through C Route, imho.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ainsley McTree posted:

I also like the remastered Aerie theme over the original, too; giving more emphasis to the male vocals going "bum bum bum" for the percussion was a strong choice that made the whole place more atmospheric.

I dunno, I did like the female vocals a lot for the original version. That and Song of the Ancients - Fate are the only tracks where I can say I vastly prefer the older version. (Though I do like the extensions for the new Aerie track)
With the other tracks they are either improvements to me (Shadowlord), or equals that do enough of their own thing (Dark Colossus for instance)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

stev posted:

Spicy take - Endings C and D aren't worth the long monotonous playthroughs required to reach them. For 5+ hours of replaying the exact same thing again you get maybe 10 minutes of new stuff, and it's in no way interesting enough to justify it. It's worth doing for Ending E though.

I agree, ending B is basically all you really need to get the full experience. I would even add that ending E isn't really worth it either if not for the novelty of playing as Kaine. I can see why that segment was originally punted to Grimoire Nier.

Momomo posted:

Replicant's cast has more personality but I like the story behind Automata's cast better. I feel like they are treated much more like vehicles for the game's themes which makes the story more cohesive overall, but at the expense of being less likeable/relatable as you're playing the game.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 20, 2021

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I have 90% of the weapons about halfway through B. Am I doing this right? When can I get to 100% or when should I?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krime posted:

I have 90% of the weapons about halfway through B. Am I doing this right? When can I get to 100% or when should I?

the only weapons limited to post-route A are the three found in the Recycled Vessel, you should have all the others

iirc the only one you can’t run off and grab right now is the Dragoon Lance, found in a box right before the giant spiral staircase where you’re chased by Goose

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Even if you’ve done every side quest there’s also a non-negligible chance you missed the iron pipe, which, fittingly enough is shoved into a corner of the tutorial flashback.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Even if you’ve done every side quest there’s also a non-negligible chance you missed the iron pipe, which, fittingly enough is shoved into a corner of the tutorial flashback.

Oh that's why it was in Automata. I thought it had to be some kind of reference.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Let's say I don't have this iron pipe...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sidequest towards the end of the game (it’s iirc one of the ones that open until when the village music changes) in the forest dream village. Get a lady a crystal ball through the standard tedious running back and forth, she tells your future or whatever which sends you back to the prologue level. Go back into the busted up building where Yonah was hiding, there it is.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How am I pulling an abstract concept within a dream such as an iron pipe into the real physical world, yoko taro

and furthermore why didn't my guy make this conjured item do 10 billion damage

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

How am I pulling an abstract concept within a dream such as an iron pipe into the real physical world, yoko taro

and furthermore why didn't my guy make this conjured item do 10 billion damage

Magic, and because Nier is kind of a dumbass, respectively.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Krime posted:

Let's say I don't have this iron pipe...

It shows up in your inventory at the start of route C if you missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Got 100%

Thanks dudes