Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabbitWizard posted:

Found a bitcoin folder from 2013 and I think I have 0.0055 Bitcoin and a wallet.dat file maybe? After researching for a whole 5 minutes, do I really have to download the 5 Million Billion Exabyte Blockchain to transfer them to be stolen by an exchange? Or is there a website which will make the process of getting ripped off easier?

Binance is the most reliable one you can find and they have a million guides on how to do this i assume.

Don't sure anything outside of Binance. It's sketchy enough to use an app from a company based in Malta with servers in Xinjiang, the others are even more sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

DB Pooper

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mans posted:

Binance is the most reliable one you can find and they have a million guides on how to do this i assume.

Don't sure anything outside of Binance. It's sketchy enough to use an app from a company based in Malta with servers in Xinjiang, the others are even more sketchy.

Binance isn't available in the US. Clearly you should use local bitcoins dot com, and take whatever the highest offer is. No one has ever gotten ripped off selling bitcoin in person for cash in a dark alley.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Binance.us exists for Americans, binance itself (non-us & pancakeswap) exists for Americans with vpn

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Binance and other exchanges don’t allow you to upload wallet.dat files as far as I know so suggesting those isnt helpful

If you know programming there is a module called pywallet that can extract the private keys which you can then import in a thin wallet like electrum

You can also use the core bitcoin client in prune mode which means it will only use like 8gb of disk space but it will still need to download the full 300gb+ of blockchain data

ymgve fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 26, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's not the real Bitcoin experience if it doesn't involve meeting a guy in a Wal mart parking lot, IMO.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

"The founders of crypto platform africript promised profits of up to ten percent per day. Now the founder brothers have taken off with over 1.8 billion dollars in bitcoins. Could the customers have suspected anything?"

I don't know? could they? Could they?? People are goddam stupid it's just incredible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fame Douglas posted:

It's not the real Bitcoin experience if it doesn't involve meeting a guy in a Wal mart parking lot, IMO.

walmart in the streets

bag of amazon gift cards in the sheets

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Mans posted:

drk posted:

Binance isn't available in the US. Clearly you should use local bitcoins dot com, and take whatever the highest offer is. No one has ever gotten ripped off selling bitcoin in person for cash in a dark alley.
Luckily I'm German so they would allow me to use their service after I gave them enough information to steal my identity.

ymgve posted:

Binance and other exchanges don’t allow you to upload wallet.dat files as far as I know so suggesting those isnt helpful

If you know programming there is a module called pywallet that can extract the private keys which you can then import in a thin wallet like electrum

You can also use the core bitcoin client in prune mode which means it will only use like 8gb of disk space but it will still need to download the full 300gb+ of blockchain data
Yeah I found the way to use my old bitcoin client to dump the private keys and import them into electrum. Luckily I have 2 addresses with a few bucks to test it, my transfer to the new wallet still hasn't gone through after 12 hours and I'm not sure it ever will, I keep getting pushed back in the queue. Can't wait to read about transfer fees to make it useable. Then I will probably convert it to money by buying some poo poo from a retailer taking bitcoin and sell that via classified ad. Totally normal.

Just as terrible as it was 8 years ago. Truly the Star Citizen of online payments.

Son of Rodney posted:

I don't know? could they? Could they?? People are goddam stupid it's just incredible.
Why? If I invest 1 Cent for a year I make 11,666,414,366,485$ Seems reasonable.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 26, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

RabbitWizard posted:

Luckily I'm German so they would allow me to use their service after I gave them enough information to steal my identity.

Yeah I found the way to use my old bitcoin client to dump the private keys and import them into electrum. Luckily I have 2 addresses with a few bucks to test it, my transfer to the new wallet still hasn't gone through after 12 hours and I'm not sure it ever will, I keep getting pushed back in the queue. Can't wait to read about transfer fees to make it useable. Then I will probably convert it to money by buying some poo poo from a retailer taking bitcoin and sell that via classified ad. Totally normal.

Just as terrible as it was 8 years ago. Truly the Star Citizen of online payments.

Why? If I invest 1 Cent for a year I make 11,666,414,366,485$ Seems reasonable.

strange that it havent gone through because the transaction queue is pretty short right now though I guess if you paid the lowest possible amount it might take a while

if you used electrum you could try using RBF (replace by fee) to increase the fee

edit: or CPFP (child pays for parent) if you didn't send all your coins to the exchange at once and some of it went back to you in a change address

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 26, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Just spend the coins on cocaine, step on it and sell it and you'll make considerably more than the btc exchange rate

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
wait so the transactions are process not first come first serve but.. highest fee first or something?? It does sure get stupider the more you look.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Vashro posted:

wait so the transactions are process not first come first serve but.. highest fee first or something?? It does sure get stupider the more you look.

Yep! Fractal stupidity.

Not only that but if you put the fee too low you can't even hope that your transaction gets put into a non-full block because all the miners have agreed to just drop any transactions that have a fee below a certain threshold. This is thanks to someone figuring out an actual use for Bitcoin as a random number generator for a gambling system.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
were it first come first serve the network would have ground to a halt like a literal decade ago lol.

remember "enjoy sochi!" memories :3:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

A fool and his money are soon apartheid

:drat: :lol:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ymgve posted:

if you used electrum you could try using RBF (replace by fee) to increase the fee

edit: or CPFP (child pays for parent) if you didn't send all your coins to the exchange at once and some of it went back to you in a change address
I didn't send any yet to the exchange, but glad those are options.

Vashro posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a time once when you couldn't adjust the transfer fees after you sent your transaction. So you better made sure to pay enough or your bitcoins are basically lost or take days/months/years to transfer.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Personally I would hodl those bitcoins. They can only go up from here.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

RabbitWizard posted:

I didn't send any yet to the exchange, but glad those are options.

I'm pretty sure there was a time once when you couldn't adjust the transfer fees after you sent your transaction. So you better made sure to pay enough or your bitcoins are basically lost or take days/months/years to transfer.

I thought you could always just spend them again with a bigger fee that will be processed sooner.
Or do the miners drop conflicting pending transactions?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

There's a noticeable distance between their current value and their real value that is desperately trying to collapse

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Klyith posted:

the FT knows that people can easily duck the paywall. same as every website where you can read 3 articles in private mode, close the window, then read 3 more. if they can't get you to pay they'll show you ads, and if you have ublock you're at least reading the article on their site and pushing traffic numbers.

the WSJ has an unavoidable paywall, it's not hard to do. they can do it because they're the WSJ and every well-off boomer in the world has a subscription. but eventually the boomers will all be dead.

Probably late to the party on this but it's definitely not unavoidable. Change your user agent so you look like Google's indexer.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Probably late to the party on this but it's definitely not unavoidable. Change your user agent so you look like Google's indexer.

if only there were a way in Firefox to Bypass Paywalls, or even to Bypass Paywalls but Clean

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

You can bypass most paywalls without an extension by putting text.fish/ Infront of the address, eg (random example from NYT today) https://text.fish/https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/style/cryonics-freezing-bodies.html

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

blunt posted:

You can bypass most paywalls without an extension by putting text.fish/ Infront of the address, eg (random example from NYT today) https://text.fish/https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/style/cryonics-freezing-bodies.html

woah nice didn't know about that

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

blunt posted:

How the fu…?

I get that it’s useful and awesome, anybody wanna take a stab (or link) at just how this works? PM is fine if it’s too off-topic for butt discussion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Text.fish is a web site.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

salt shakeup posted:

You joke but to be honest, you might as well hold them for now.

Bitcoin is at 29k euros and it'll probably be 40k until the end of the year.

If keeping them isn't costing you money, just hold it until it eventually goes up again. And it will because these people are mentally sick and will reinflate the bubble.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

DerekSmartymans posted:

How the fu…?

I get that it’s useful and awesome, anybody wanna take a stab (or link) at just how this works? PM is fine if it’s too off-topic for butt discussion.

poster above said it allows access if user-agent is set to the google scraper, one possible way to do is for text.fish to read what site you want to go to and then scrape the pages for you and present the results

to make it coiner related text.fish could also insert spam and ransomware download links into the pages and start a javascript miner

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Text.fish is a web site.

Yeah I wasn’t trying to be lazy just like (and folks are helpful here) getting a start to my own research into the new stuff. I followed a link from FT.com and got too the site, but on reader-mode on phone there was no “how this works” link or anything.

Edit:

Vesi posted:

poster above said it allows access if user-agent is set to the google scraper, one possible way to do is for text.fish to read what site you want to go to and then scrape the pages for you and present the results

to make it coiner related text.fish could also insert spam and ransomware download links into the pages and start a javascript miner

Dammit. I usually don’t click links from butt-related sites, but do feel safer on my iPhone than Win10 machines :agesilaus: .

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 27, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

blunt posted:

"outline.com/" is also useful (but not perfect) for this purpose

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Binance has been banned in the UK:

The Guardian posted:

Britain’s financial regulator has ordered Binance, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, to stop all regulated activity and issued a warning to consumers about the platform which is coming under growing scrutiny globally.

In a notice dated 25 June, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said Binance Markets Ltd, Binance’s UK entity, “must not, without the prior written consent of the FCA, carry out any regulated activities ... with immediate effect”.
Binance did not respond to a request for comment on Sunday.

While trading of cryptocurrencies is not directly regulated in Britain, offering services such as trading in cryptocurrency derivatives does require authorisation.

The regulator did not explain why it had taken the measures against Binance, which has said previously that it takes its legal obligations “very seriously” and engages “with regulators and law enforcement in a collaborative fashion”.

The FCA is stepping up its oversight of cryptocurrency trading, which has soared in popularity in the UK alongside other countries.

Since January, the FCA has required all firms offering cryptocurrency-related services to register and show they comply with anti-money laundering rules. However, earlier this month it said that just five firms had registered, and that the majority were not yet compliant.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jun/27/uk-financial-watchdog-cracks-down-on-cryptocurrency-exchange-binance

This is probably good for Bitcoin.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't think there was any question as to whether this is good for bitcoin. In fact, if more exchanges were to be banned this would be good for bitcoin because

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Funds are safu, mate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Space Fish posted:

"outline.com/" is also useful (but not perfect) for this purpose

archive.is does a decent job as well

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dumb question but this is the best place for it:

I've heard "BTC is falling because China is cracking down on mining." If most of the world's mining supply is going offline, shouldn't the value of BTC be going up due to reduced resources mining the remaining coins?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Craptacular! posted:

I've heard "BTC is falling because China is cracking down on mining." If most of the world's mining supply is going offline, shouldn't the value of BTC be going up due to reduced resources mining the remaining coins?

In a world where cryptocurrencies weren't being propped up by wildcat bank scams such as Tether/Bitfinex (under current investigation), this might be a possibility

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Craptacular! posted:

you're trying to apply any kind of reason or sense to the situation. classic mistake

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Craptacular! posted:

While it doesn't really work this way, butts probably have some 'floor value' as a tool to facilitate buying weasel dust on the dark web, and all - all - of the rest is market sentiment. In a market, mind you, where 85% of the supply is held by religious fanatics.

I have no idea how Elon Musk managed to liquidate that way. Did Tesla/Musk sell all his butts to some credulous other billionaire, or an exchange? Did they actually just move that money into Musk's private wallet at "market" "value"?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
If you accept the principal that people will get bitcoins the cheapest possible way, a bunch of mining disappearing would lower the price because it's now cheaper to mine instead of buy.

So why were so many Chinese people mining if buying was cheaper or equal before?

Because bitcoin mining was a way to avoid China's currency control laws that limit the amount of yuan that can become dollars every year. Miners saw a chance to acquire USD, by way of turning yuan into GPUs first. Bitcoin was a reasonable tax to pay before getting a useful currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Not really. The amount of coins emitted is fixed - you dont get any more minted each day by using a billion miners than you do by using a single dusty PC in a basement. So as miner supply decreases, each remaining miner gets a higher number of coins per day. This means they can afford to sell for lower prices.