Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Where I am it’s at least 90% people aged 65+ on £5k to 10k ebikes with the big fat down tubes stuffed with batteries, and they are magnificent

This area (the point furthest from the sea???) older people do a lot of cruises, few head offices for cruise companies here (???) and because they haven’t been able to travel abroad they spent the cruise money on the best Ebikes they could find, and are finding freedom on all the gravel we have. Still about after lockdown, so this is looking like a long term thing which is great great news for our local cycling campaign groups.

One elderly woman has a e-trike, but not your Chinese kit conversion, this is some £8k beauty set up for hauling a trailer with camping gear in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

gently caress these garbage ebikes not getting the same range as my gas car! What if I need to go uphill both ways in a snow storm? It's a bike dummies you'll get tired before it falls apart.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress these garbage ebikes not getting the same range as my gas car! What if I need to go uphill both ways in a snow storm? It's a bike dummies you'll get tired before it falls apart.

I don’t think that’s what anyone said? Calm down man.

We are all in favor of whatever gets people who wouldn’t otherwise be riding bikes on bikes.

But the range anxiety is real for a lot of low end e-bikes beyond just tooting around town or short casual rides. That’s what most of them are designed for and are great at, and that’s perfectly fine and good.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I assume you’re fueling ok if you’re doing 160km+ before but yeah just keep in front of your hydration and nutrition. Resist the urge to go out too hot.

cheers! yeah, fueling and hydration have been okay in the past. I mostly wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything new that typically comes into play beyond 160 km. I don't know that would be, just checking :) pacing myself early on is definitely going to be the biggest challenge. I've toughed out distances in the ballpark of 30-50 km before when I paced the first, say, 80 km of a ride poorly, but I'll certainly not be able to do the same with another 80, let alone 120. thanks again!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I have a buddy with a Gazelle he takes on long rides with the rest of us non-e-bike peasants, and he just brings along spare battery packs and swaps them out at stops. Seems to work ok.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bought a eMTB for uphill both ways in snowstorms (because my front hub eDutch bike has traction issues) :lol:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Lex Neville posted:

cheers! yeah, fueling and hydration have been okay in the past. I mostly wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything new that typically comes into play beyond 160 km. I don't know that would be, just checking :) pacing myself early on is definitely going to be the biggest challenge. I've toughed out distances in the ballpark of 30-50 km before when I paced the first, say, 80 km of a ride poorly, but I'll certainly not be able to do the same with another 80, let alone 120. thanks again!
There might be a point where you want to give up. Before you call it, eat a meal and rest for 30 minutes. If you still want to bail after that, go for it. But sometimes that's all you need to get a second wind.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't give a crap if the majority of the cycling traffic ends up being ebikes more people on two wheels not burning gas is a good thing.

Ebikes should also be allowed on all trails at worse it's an extra 30lbs or so weight it's not going to wreck anything.

Also the deer flies around here are super huge and if you keep your mouth open you'll occasionally eat one it's like nutrition that carries itself. Just don't drop below 25kmh because that's the speed at which they can start to land on you and strip your flesh from your bones. Everyone was super polite slowed down and gave me tons of room which annoyed me I needed the dust cloud to shake the deer flies.

Saw a baby bear. It was adorable. I did not stop.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Just rode past a moose. Scared the poo poo out of both of us

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Time posted:

Just rode past a moose. Scared the poo poo out of both of us

https://i.imgur.com/XTFzjVq.mp4

Edit: it was pissed it wasn't scared. Moose aren't scared of anything.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 26, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Guinness posted:

I don’t think that’s what anyone said? Calm down man.

We are all in favor of whatever gets people who wouldn’t otherwise be riding bikes on bikes.

But the range anxiety is real for a lot of low end e-bikes beyond just tooting around town or short casual rides. That’s what most of them are designed for and are great at, and that’s perfectly fine and good.

Well maybe people who aren't "just tooting around town or short casual rides" should pony up more money and get a bigger battery (and/or a spare) and/or lighter bicycle and/or ease up on the assist/lose weight? I think people tend to have unrealistic expectations/demands and aren't willing to compromise or accept reality.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think you have unrealistic expectations about money tbh.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Duck and Cover posted:

Well maybe people who aren't "just tooting around town or short casual rides" should pony up more money and get a bigger battery (and/or a spare) and/or lighter bicycle and/or ease up on the assist/lose weight? I think people tend to have unrealistic expectations/demands and aren't willing to compromise or accept reality.

Oh so you've worked at a bike store

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I think you have unrealistic expectations about money tbh.

Wait are you saying not everyone is buying multiple $160 keycap sets? I had to though https://mkultra.click/gb-kat-slurp/. You understand right?

You buy what you can afford (hopefully), but I think "poor range" is kind of an unfair label to apply to all ebikes.

SimonSays posted:

Oh so you've worked at a bike store

No but people not having realistic expectations is kind of a universal. Yeah yeah sure you might need 400 mile range, once a year, in the snow, guess you can't buy an electric car! Yes electric cars can do road trips, but they are limiting gas is more flexible. I think people have a better grasp on their actual needs for ebikes, and the problem lies more in knowing the actual range.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 26, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t think people are saying all ebikes have a poor range? It’s just that in comparison to a lovely carbon road bike which has a infinite range so long as you occasionally feed and rest the meaty component they have a poor range.

New ebike riders should find the limit of the battery you have snd keep it in the 20-80% charge range to extend the life of your battery. If that isn’t enough for what you want to do then get a second battery.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think maybe D&C is referring to the original scenario where someone got an ebike to 'join in on rides' but then didn't buy one that was capable of covering the typical distance/speed, which yeah is fair enough.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It was the friend who bought his wife an ebike so she could ride with him and then for some reason the group went to a borderline range ride instead of 10 miles which isn’t the bike’s fault or the wife’s.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I don’t think people are saying all ebikes have a poor range? It’s just that in comparison to a lovely carbon road bike which has a infinite range so long as you occasionally feed and rest the meaty component they have a poor range.

New ebike riders should find the limit of the battery you have snd keep it in the 20-80% charge range to extend the life of your battery. If that isn’t enough for what you want to do then get a second battery.

nwin posted:

Ah ok.

TIL that ebikes are heavy and have poo poo range.

I think better estimation tools based on your weight/what you ride would help.
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current 30-60.
https://ride1up.com/product/lmtd-2/ 30-50.

You don't know how optimistic those range estimates are. I get that people would have range anxiety especially when the calculation for battery life can dip low as your going up hill, but be plenty as you go back down. It's so variable and the only real way to know is experience.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 26, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

:lol:

I would have poo poo myself if that were me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh wow! If only I’d known it was the water bottle holding me back from that yellow jersey, thanks Halfords!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

:lol:

I would have poo poo myself if that were me.

At least that rider knew to not try to outside the thing. Play dead is the only right move in that situation.

I built my bike a house! It's going to thunderstorm in an hour or so, saw it coming over the horizon when I was swimming (now I just need to run and pee on my bike and it's a triathlon) so I threw this up so my ride wouldn't get soaked Now it gets to stay cozy and dry :3:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

EvilJoven posted:

lol

It was genuinely surprised and reacted like I threw a grenade at it. I also pedaled for my life (before getting a safe distance away and using all of the zoom my camera has to get a pic)

Why tf won’t the awful app attach my moose pic this sucks

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't think attachments have worked for... a while. Upload to imgur or somewhere and link it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

learnincurve posted:

It was the friend who bought his wife an ebike so she could ride with him and then for some reason the group went to a borderline range ride instead of 10 miles which isn’t the bike’s fault or the wife’s.

Well - she was a late addition, did not know she was coming until she showed up at my house with my friend at 7 this morning.

When she did come, it changed the whole nature of the ride I thought we were going on which is why I was annoyed. If I thought we were just going to hang out and get coffee and breakfast, it would have been great, and I probably would have brought a hybrid instead of a road bike, no kit, no clipless - you know - all of the poo poo that you would do if participating in general society during the ride.

We also didn't go borderline range for her at all. She had like 80% of her battery left after our 20 miles. She just didn't want to push it to go any faster on those 20 miles because she thought her battery would crap out.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Sab0921 posted:

Well - she was a late addition, did not know she was coming until she showed up at my house with my friend at 7 this morning.

When she did come, it changed the whole nature of the ride I thought we were going on which is why I was annoyed. If I thought we were just going to hang out and get coffee and breakfast, it would have been great, and I probably would have brought a hybrid instead of a road bike, no kit, no clipless - you know - all of the poo poo that you would do if participating in general society during the ride.

We also didn't go borderline range for her at all. She had like 80% of her battery left after our 20 miles. She just didn't want to push it to go any faster on those 20 miles because she thought her battery would crap out.

I totally get this. Being on a ride where you expected to go one speed, but are now constantly 50m ahead of someone and looking back/waiting for them builds me into a murderous rage. It is one thing is someone hits the wall and just runs out of energy, but quite another if the entire ride starting at mile 0 is like this.

Case in point, we were doing a mixed surface ride on gravel bikes, was not going to be a killer pace, but we were going to be moving at a nice clip on a mix of hardpack dert, DG trails and pavement. And a friend of a friend showed up on an enduro bike with 2.75" deep tread tires. 3.5 hours of expected fun turned into a bit over 4 hours of looking backwards and waiting.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I've got a road bike. It's served me well so far, I pedal it and it makes me go places. But now, I want to ride on gravel. Specifically the Chesapeake & Ohio Towpath if you're familiar with it, here's an obnoxiously large image that'll let people see the quality of the path:

Is there any way I could get a set of tires/wheels that would let me use my existing road bike frame to ride on a path like this, or would I have to invest in a whole second bike? I've got pretty standard 700x25 tires on it now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How much tire clearance does your bike have? If you can fit at least 32s it might not be miserable.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Guinness posted:

How much tire clearance does your bike have? If you can fit at least 32s it might not be miserable.

Looks like 27, maybe 28, so that's a big ol' "nope."

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have not done the C&O but some other posters have. I want to do it and in my research I’ve seen people say it’s possible to do it on road bike tires like 28’s but not recommended. If you’re ok with walking parts that are muddy you might get where you’re going. If you’re only doing parts I say go for it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Saw this last week, the recent talk of building a super light MTB and am now trying to find $250 so I can start collecting parts.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bop/d/portland-new-1990s-xc-mountain-bike/7340964141.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's gonna be the hardest part to find, a decent straight steerer fork?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lex Neville posted:

I'm going for my first 200k tomorrow, solo. I've done several >100km rides, the longest being ~160 - but the longest I've ridden solo is ~100 km (and the 160 km ride was at a snail's pace). Is there anything new I should know, prepare for, etc?

Take a small lock so you feel confident going into a shop to buy food/drink if you have to.

I have a tiny lightweight cable lock for this purpose. Won't stop a thief if they have any form of wire cutters but it stops the opportunistic 'chuck it in the back of a car outside a shop' theft. I always bring this when riding solo for added peace of mind.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Red Crown posted:

I've got a road bike. It's served me well so far, I pedal it and it makes me go places. But now, I want to ride on gravel. Specifically the Chesapeake & Ohio Towpath if you're familiar with it, here's an obnoxiously large image that'll let people see the quality of the path:

Is there any way I could get a set of tires/wheels that would let me use my existing road bike frame to ride on a path like this, or would I have to invest in a whole second bike? I've got pretty standard 700x25 tires on it now.

If the condition is like that all the way you could ride it occasionally for fun in the dry on your current road tyres tbh!

If you wanted to have more than a taster, and go far or often, then 'gravel' isn't really just about the tyres, it's about having a frame with clearance to mount wide tyres that you run at low pressure, to give cushioning to make gravelly roads comfortable to ride.

I've ridden roads worse than that on 700x25, but the mud buildup on the frame and in the rim brake led me to eventually buy a gravel bike with wide clearances.

meltie fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 27, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve ridden roads like that on Marathon Plus 25 in the dry, the trick is to do that thing you did as a small child in the snow where you put your foot in the hole your mum had made.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah I've ridden tracks like that on 23mm tyres in Portugal.

I mean I didn't intend to do it but the road just ended and turned into that and went back to Tarmac 5 miles later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I don't give a crap if the majority of the cycling traffic ends up being ebikes more people on two wheels not burning gas is a good thing.

Ebikes should also be allowed on all trails at worse it's an extra 30lbs or so weight it's not going to wreck anything.
In europe a pedelec is legally and practically a bike, essentially everywhere. The US has a 3 standards, couple states-specific legal frameworks, etc.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

In europe a pedelec is legally and practically a bike, essentially everywhere. The US has a 3 standards, couple states-specific legal frameworks, etc.

Ya its super dumb. We get tons of customers asking why the ebikes we get from major brands don't have throttles go faster etc etc etc. Its all because companies like Giant only want to make one model that complies with ebike regs worldwide and they're all over the place.

I'm really not stoked with the max weight legislation in some places that makes some electric cargo bikes and some trikes illegal or banned from bike path use. I was really hoping we'd see a huge uptake in utility ebikes but this is going to turn off a lot of manufacturers until it's all sorted.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Ya its super dumb. We get tons of customers asking why the ebikes we get from major brands don't have throttles go faster etc etc etc. Its all because companies like Giant only want to make one model that complies with ebike regs worldwide and they're all over the place.

I'm really not stoked with the max weight legislation in some places that makes some electric cargo bikes and some trikes illegal or banned from bike path use. I was really hoping we'd see a huge uptake in utility ebikes but this is going to turn off a lot of manufacturers until it's all sorted.

I’d be royally pissed if the bike path along the river that I use to take my kids to the water, and that goes directly from my house to the grocery and hardware stores in 4.5 miles, disallowed my heavy cargo ebike, forcing me instead to ride 7.5 miles on a major road and highway. What sort of places are putting these restrictions in??

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve French posted:

What sort of places are putting these restrictions in??
local guvt with no idea about what good bike infra looks like. Restrictions aren't budget line items so they can go hogwild in the name of SAFETY SAFETY

Just loving do the pedelec thing with no throttle and 25/32kph max assisted speed and get on with your lives, loving hell. In most EU places even e-scooters (limited to 25kph) are legally bikes and it makes everything so much simpler.

Pedelec also solves the MTB trail e-bike issue. If you ride a pedelec you go anywhere a bike goes. If you have a throttle or more power, congrats, you're riding an uncertified moped and if caught they're going to crush it. Also pedelecs are awesome for hauling trail tools.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

This same bike path connects to the town sports park, and I see tons of kids riding on it on various types of cheap ebikes with throttles to get to soccer practice or whatever, and personally I think that’s great. Maybe I’d feel differently if it were a more crowded space, but it’s a small town and the path basically connects my neighborhood to downtown via more or less open space.