Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Kud really should have leant into it and told the pigs he agrees with "kill the bill"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Don't most people still hate blair?

at the very least most people feel he’s past it and nobody votes for a loser

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

No idea who this Twitter user is but from the image Jay Rayner seems pretty good:

https://twitter.com/marieannuk/status/1409125186289422337

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure 'they' would waive the rule book like they did to get Leadbetter to stand if it came to it.
Rules are for other people, not the Labour far right.

Oh no I'm sure they can find some craven MP to lay down their seat for The Holy One, and probably a craven-enough CLP (or one in special measures and there's plenty of them, suspiciously in safe seats that have already had Blairites parachuted in) but any seat with a wide enough Labour lead for them to even risk going to the public is *not* going to be receptive to a second coming.

Just scrolling through https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/orderedseats.html the first constituency *likely* to not have a massive swing to Not-Blair if he were to stand again is... Holborn and St. Pancras, currently held by one Kier Starmer (hey I wonder if he's any relation to Kieth?), which might be a bit awkward.

I mean it's *possible* he might go for one of the meltier inner London seats that lost a shitload of voters to the LDs over Brexit and likely would jump at the chance to elect him - looking at you Two Cities - but there's literally no way he'd want to take that risk even if he wanted to try and make a comeback, which I'm certain he doesn't because he can make 5 million quid a year as a hypeman for murderous dictators and doesn't have to do any of that troublesome "registering of interests" poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

No idea who this Twitter user is but from the image Jay Rayner seems pretty good:

Jay Rayner can be a joyfully catty little bitch. Him having a go at Giles Coren is also very fun.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is funny but iirc rayner is a classic guardian centrist

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Hey if you still want to do that move to the Highlands and learn to croft thing, this just came up for sale. Free Scottish ghost too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Hey if you still want to do that move to the Highlands and learn to croft thing, this just came up for sale. Free Scottish ghost too.

No pictures of the house. I want to see if it's a 'doer upper'. (Joking)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SMH they burn down the crannoc and are now selling the land rights property developers amiright.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Thats a nice photo.
I would love to just build one of those houses up and live in it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:same:

I don't know what Historic Environment Scotland would have to say about rebuilding using traditional techniques vs. preserving as ruins.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently the "What Three Words" address for the site is: detective.richest.beefed.
Because obviously if you wanted to go there, those are the 3 words you'd immediately think of :puzzled:

Ed: seems I've misunderstood the entire point about the 3 words thing! I gathered from the adverts on tv that it was supposed to be related to the place but apparently it's just 3 random words.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 27, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

A Spriggan is definitely going to spawn there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Like a lot of the wild bits of Scotland, owning the place doesn't really seem to get you much. You probably can't build anything there since it's a heritage site, and while the agent says "The owners can launch a boat on the loch and enjoy fishing, picnicking and camping", so can anyone else who fancies going there thanks to Scotland's right to roam. I guess you get exclusive access to the trout fishing, hunting if there is any, and the joy of driving an ATV over ancient ruins.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

He's ethically Jewish and has bought into the 'Corbyn is Hitler 2.0' thing sadly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

He's ethically Jewish and has bought into the 'Corbyn is Hitler 2.0' thing sadly.

There's an ethical consumption under capitalism joke to be made here but I don't want it being bought up if I ever try to rejoin the Labour Party.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Buy a scythe and you can cut your lawn whenever you want, and you should definitely do it at night, with the scythe, in your dressing gown, and then sit outside and sharpen the scythe while staring at the house of your neighbour.

I am actually doing that, sans dressing gown and staring.

Made a snath from a piece of wood and I've forged a ring which takes a wooden wedge to hold the scythe blade in place. Been forging another ring like thing to hold a single handle (eastern european design) that I can move about the snath as I want it. Using it to mow the ditches and stuff around the yard, loving hate the weed whacker, dressing up in all the protective equipment, the noise and the eternal fight to keep the engine working.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am actually doing that, sans dressing gown and staring.

Made a snath from a piece of wood and I've forged a ring which takes a wooden wedge to hold the scythe blade in place. Been forging another ring like thing to hold a single handle (eastern european design) that I can move about the snath as I want it. Using it to mow the ditches and stuff around the yard, loving hate the weed whacker, dressing up in all the protective equipment, the noise and the eternal fight to keep the engine working.

They can get through some surprising stuff and quickly, if you don't mind the maintenence. Though I guess having to buy/fix mowers all the time is probably quite high maintenence too.

I managed to pick up some antique chisels recently so now I just need some plate glass and some sandpaper to reflatten/smooth them, some weirdo had ground a bevel into both sides of them (no idea why) so it takes a lot of elbow grease to get them back, the one in best order seems decent though from what I managed on an old stone.

Then I just need a saw and a square and some scrap wood and I can see if I take to it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

They can get through some surprising stuff and quickly
Including landlords, bishops, barons...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Third take is that maintenance on 2 stroke engines is easy to learn and a year or three's worth of servicing can be done in five minutes in the middle of a field for less than a fivers worth of bits, and yes indeed they can do the work of a dozen folk with hand tools

The downside is that 2 stroke emissions (lol) are absolutely loving terrible for the environment

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/spinningjoe/status/1409098770034405376

I don't know whether to laugh or cry to be honest. This country is so loving dumb.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've not really found weedwhackers to be that much faster, more setup time too. I can just start using the scythe in sandals and shorts and it took me five minutes to clear one ditch when I first tried without any handles, basically as fast as I would've done it with the weedwhacker. I also detest working on engines so I really value not having to do that. One time I started it up, flies came flying out of it.

Also consider the microplastic pollution.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just reminded me that a Farm near us has a huge collection of 1940s-1960s farm gear that’s been retrofitted so it fits on the chap’s modern tractor, and it’s pretty awesome to watch him use it, he says the only real issue is that you have to manually turn things round where as with the modern stuff it’s automatic.

He’s quite young and it started out with him seeing how much it would cost to modernise his grandad’s equipment and went “nah Ok I’ll take a bit longer and hire an extra few people when needed”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What did you think made the noise? It's concentrated flies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Learned today that my sister's brother-in-law's ex is Gina Coledangelo. :stare: And that she's a bad tile-throwing loser at mahjong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/spinningjoe/status/1409098770034405376

I don't know whether to laugh or cry to be honest. This country is so loving dumb.
I'm not sure that this shows the UK as the most anti-trans country, I bet if you posted a religious or traditionalist transphobic argument you'd get a very different map.

It does however show that the UK is terf island.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect of you separated out the bots from the people then it would be a lot dimmer, and if you then added in where the money for those bots came from then there would be a few big dots in America and then a massive glowing beacon in Edinburgh.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I loving hate the weed whacker, dressing up in all the protective equipment, the noise and the eternal fight to keep the engine working.

I hate dealing with weeds and grass so much I spent the last two weekends de turfing my front patch of grass, planting roses I've been growing over lockdown and a bay tree/bottle brush tree in it and filling the space with wood chips.

I'm pretty pleased with the results!

Now I have to do the side bit which is twice the size and is full of demon nettles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks good! I'm thinking of planting some creeping thyme as ground cover to prevent weeds. It's a lot better than turf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In my experience terfs spend 100% of their lives in creeping time.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife and I have made several jokes about throwing terfs into the skip it's true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thyme lawns do actually look really nice mind, honestly I don't get why people stopped doing that and went to boring rear end grass instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Guavanaut posted:

Looks good! I'm thinking of planting some creeping thyme as ground cover to prevent weeds. It's a lot better than turf.

I have mint and strawberries underneath roses.

When I moved in it was grass and this unkempt yukka thing, put in 10m of natural hedgerow and about 15m of roses and a mini orchard.

Check out my yukka thing now!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The thyme lawns do actually look really nice mind, honestly I don't get why people stopped doing that and went to boring rear end grass instead.

Never even heard of this but this does look like a nicer version of the purple bastard weeds that have come through my garden like the Golden Horde and led me to getting out the blowtorch after manual weeding and carpet-bombing with Roundup failed. I think I might have to try some just because the weeds *were* a very pretty colour (which is part of how they got quite such a foothold - I didn't zap them immediately when they turned up in the wildflower section at the end of the garden because I thought they belonged there).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It seems to have started off as an American thing, it's a lot more drought and climate tolerant than grass lawns and so in places where water usage is becoming an issue it looks like a smart choice, even though it's not native to the Americas.

OwlFancier posted:

That was also an American thing, at least as individual suburban lawns and the postwar 'household aesthetic'. Bad idea imo, and rolling patches of Breckland thyme common to the Midlands are a lot better for butterflies and bees, don't need mowing, and smell nice.

learnincurve posted:

Nice, that's a big yukka.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I have mint and strawberries underneath roses.

When I moved in it was grass and this unkempt yukka thing, put in 10m of natural hedgerow and about 15m of roses and a mini orchard.

That looks ace! Wife and I just spent an hour looking at ridiculous outdoor wall objects from China. Tempted to cover the front of the house with random tat like solar peacocks and neon crabs for giggles.

gently caress it, its our house.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I hear tell that some versions of thyme are fine with being walked on and emit a pleasant scent when it occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it sure is raining