Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Narsham posted:

You drove me to look up an adventure that it turns out I ran in 1991 titled the Bureaucratic Maze. It was a one-shot for high-level PCs, who needed to access and close a gate on the Abyss. But that gate had been captured by devils, who had constructed a massive maze around it and used legal forms and controls to prevent passage through it, as demons simply lacked the patience or mindset to fill out all the right forms, accurately, and if they didn't the maze's defenses would deal with them or trap them forever.

While there were 36 rooms scattered across the maze, each issuing at least one form, only 10 forms were necessary to succeed, most of which were "you have to go to Infernal Affairs room 7 and bring back form X in order to fill out this form." There was actually a map of the maze available, but again, they needed the correct requisition form for it.

I correctly anticipated that they'd be willing to blow a full Wish after a while to help them, and decided that the devils had a Bypass Godsdamned Bureaucracy form along with all the others, although if you didn't know it existed they didn't advertise the fact. The Wish revealed the form's existence, and I was kind and also provided the room number where they could get it, but they still had to travel there and fill the thing out.

My one caution to you based on how that went: there's a point where you can flip from simulating a mind-numbingly boring administrative process to being boring for the players (and you), so watch out for that.

Also, I think you mean "General Statute," unless the laws are being enforced by enchanted statues, which I admit would be pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Ay yall what is the best 5e megadungeon it doesnt need to be official or anything. Preferably something that has physical copies available

Also what is considered the best planescape adventure?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ilikedirt posted:

Ay yall what is the best 5e megadungeon it doesnt need to be official or anything. Preferably something that has physical copies available

I haven't run them myself but I know some of Greg Gillespie's well-respected megadungeons are available for 5e, specifically Barrowmaze, Highfell, and Forbidden Caverns of Archaia, and are available in physical for as POD.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Narsham posted:

You drove me to look up an adventure that it turns out I ran in 1991 titled the Bureaucratic Maze. It was a one-shot for high-level PCs, who needed to access and close a gate on the Abyss. But that gate had been captured by devils, who had constructed a massive maze around it and used legal forms and controls to prevent passage through it, as demons simply lacked the patience or mindset to fill out all the right forms, accurately, and if they didn't the maze's defenses would deal with them or trap them forever.

While there were 36 rooms scattered across the maze, each issuing at least one form, only 10 forms were necessary to succeed, most of which were "you have to go to Infernal Affairs room 7 and bring back form X in order to fill out this form." There was actually a map of the maze available, but again, they needed the correct requisition form for it.

I correctly anticipated that they'd be willing to blow a full Wish after a while to help them, and decided that the devils had a Bypass Godsdamned Bureaucracy form along with all the others, although if you didn't know it existed they didn't advertise the fact. The Wish revealed the form's existence, and I was kind and also provided the room number where they could get it, but they still had to travel there and fill the thing out.

My one caution to you based on how that went: there's a point where you can flip from simulating a mind-numbingly boring administrative process to being boring for the players (and you), so watch out for that.

Also, I think you mean "General Statute," unless the laws are being enforced by enchanted statues, which I admit would be pretty fun.

Haha, I totally meant General Statute.........but now I want to make it so that next time I run this little adventure of mine I make it so that all the laws are carved into statues of famous people from the city.

Also...any idea where I can find that adventure, "the Bureaucratic Maze"? My google is failing me.

:perfect:

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 26, 2021

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Haha, I totally meant General Statute.........but now I want to make it so that next time I run this little adventure of mine I make it so that all the laws are carved into statues of famous people from the city.

Also...any idea where I can find that adventure, "the Bureaucratic Maze"? My google is failing me.

I would also very much like this adventure.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm going to be running Curse of Strahd for 2 friends soon. I know it's a fairly difficult module, so I've been trying to think of ways to make it doable for a party of 2. Neither of them are especially good at D&D and aren't, like, dark souls players who love punishment or anything--we just wanted to try a premade campaign for once and ravenloft sounded like a fun setting.

I know them well enough to know that it would be a nightmare for them to have to juggle playing more than 1 character at a time, so I think the most I would limit it to are free animal companions or giving verbal orders to hirelings.

I'm thinking to begin with, at level 1 they will get a free level's worth of max HP just to make things smoother.

Some of the options I've considered:
1. Give them a free feat at first level
2. Create some custom NPCs with specialized roles (healer, buffer, thief, tank) that were lured into Ravenloft as well, and let them recruit one as a DM-controlled party member. Give them some side quests and stuff that fit into the story.
3. Let them each start with a revised ranger's animal companion
4. Have them come across a plentitude of dark gifts
5. Just let them rough it with hirelings and named NPCs to emphasize the challenge of the setting

Do any of these/any combination of these sound like they'd help balance a two party run of Strahd?

Also does anyone have recommendations for other campaign books? I'm trying to shift away from doing homebrew campaigns because they take too much preparation on my end. The Icewind Dale one sounds neat.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cephas posted:

I'm going to be running Curse of Strahd for 2 friends soon. I know it's a fairly difficult module, so I've been trying to think of ways to make it doable for a party of 2. Neither of them are especially good at D&D and aren't, like, dark souls players who love punishment or anything--we just wanted to try a premade campaign for once and ravenloft sounded like a fun setting.

I know them well enough to know that it would be a nightmare for them to have to juggle playing more than 1 character at a time, so I think the most I would limit it to are free animal companions or giving verbal orders to hirelings.

I'm thinking to begin with, at level 1 they will get a free level's worth of max HP just to make things smoother.

2. Create some custom NPCs with specialized roles (healer, buffer, thief, tank) that were lured into Ravenloft as well, and let them recruit one as a DM-controlled party member. Give them some side quests and stuff that fit into the story.
5. Just let them rough it with hirelings and named NPCs to emphasize the challenge of the setting

Do any of these/any combination of these sound like they'd help balance a two party run of Strahd?

Also does anyone have recommendations for other campaign books? I'm trying to shift away from doing homebrew campaigns because they take too much preparation on my end. The Icewind Dale one sounds neat.

The problem is the action economy. 2 Players, even if buffer than usual, just will not really be able to keep up with some of the fights. The revised Ranger animal companion is nice, but honestly.............you either need to really cut down on the enemies they face OR get them to each run 2 PCs. Don't do the nerfed DMPC thing, DMPCs are fine and sometimes cool as 1 time helpers or assistant's in a particular mission, but they can and 90% of the time do, end up being a huge drag once they wear out their welcome.

Just get each person to run 2 PCs and you should be fine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ilikedirt posted:

Also what is considered the best planescape adventure?

The best mega-dungeon is Undermountain and there is a 5e version. You will want to obtain the 2e content too as it includes levels of the dungeon that are not included in the 5e version. No edition has the whole dungeon, you are supposed to fill in a lot of the blanks yourself:

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/waterdeep-dungeon-mad-mage

As for best planescape module, the obvious answer is The Great Modron March :v:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Cephas posted:

Do any of these/any combination of these sound like they'd help balance a two party run of Strahd.

We had one NPC/DM PC who traveled with the party. I think he was actually one of the named NPCs but I’m not positive. He was a tank who had a lot of hitpoints but didn’t do much damage so he never out shined any of the PCs.

The extra hitpoints and feat at first level I would give them as well.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Silly Newbie posted:

Re: one on one game:
First session, there are some kobolds in a cave doing banditry and harassing villagers. Adventure is to go through the mini dungeon cave and whack the kobold leader.
Afterwards, the remaining kobolds come out and say that they never wanted to be bandits, leader just bullied them into it, and they're faithful retainers of the PC forever after (or until they fall into a bumbling death).
Gives npc party members to interact with who can have their own story hooks but can't steal the show or overbalance power too much.

This is a fun idea, I think she'll really enjoy the cast of ensign redshirts.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Make sure you do a proper session 0 for curse of Strahd. My DM didn't and I ended up hating the damned thing and quitting.

If they don't like grimdark, don't like werewolves or vampires, and don't like a constantly dour and depressing atmosphere, perhaps turn back now.

Magical items in the module are few and far between, and the real treasure the PCs get is their freedom.

Also the module is long as gently caress.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Silly Newbie posted:

Re: one on one game:
First session, there are some kobolds in a cave doing banditry and harassing villagers. Adventure is to go through the mini dungeon cave and whack the kobold leader.
Afterwards, the remaining kobolds come out and say that they never wanted to be bandits, leader just bullied them into it, and they're faithful retainers of the PC forever after (or until they fall into a bumbling death).
Gives npc party members to interact with who can have their own story hooks but can't steal the show or overbalance power too much.

Mercer did a fun little single player session with Stephen Colbert a couple years ago. Might be a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3658C2y4LlA

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Madmarker posted:

It turns out that rather than being aloof and uncaring the "Declaration of War-Mobilization" hadn't been issued by the ruling council because all official declarations have to be first issued on Papyrus paper, and since the weather had been so dry there had been a shortage and the ruling council's supply was....unfortunately....... out. Even worse, according to Modronad General Statute 33-27(A2)(1), all requisition requests for supplies for the ruling council must ALSO be issued on Papyrus......and so the ruling council is currently defunct unless they can find some papyrus. Unfortunately they can't just accept a gift of Papyrus from a citizen...as that would be bribery and they wouldn't want to be corrupt.

What if someone knowledgeable about the system had stolen the entire papyrus supply in order to bring about this situation?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

In the exact same boat, two players want to play Curse of Strahd.

What I’m toying with is having a camp of a variety of monster hunters, since there’s a whole trove of rare monsters up to and including Strahd himself that would attract them. Have them be a mix of races and classes, and (once they’ve met up with them post the introductory area), let them pick two at a time to accompany them. I’ll roleplay them as needed, but the players get full control over them whenever combat kicks off.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Malpais Legate posted:

I would also very much like this adventure.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be confusing: I designed and ran it, it isn’t a published adventure.

While I still have the encounter keys, if I have the map it’s buried in a box of old papers. None of the existing materials are written extensively enough for anyone to run, anyway.

For all the CoS runners, here’s an idea I’ve never implemented, though it absolutely needs the right players and DM to work:
The Zhentarim are trying to ally with a lich, who insists as a final condition that the Zhentarim send a group to Barovia to free Strahd and bring him back. The PCs are the ones being sent. People in Barovia initially treat the PCs like any others, but at some point they’ll need to convince Strahd they can free him and deal with his objections about abandoning his realm. He won’t leave behind the soul of his beloved but might be tricked into believing she’s been freed already. And neither the Dark Powers nor some of their agent in Barovia will want the party to succeed…

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Trivia posted:

Make sure you do a proper session 0 for curse of Strahd. My DM didn't and I ended up hating the damned thing and quitting.

If they don't like grimdark, don't like werewolves or vampires, and don't like a constantly dour and depressing atmosphere, perhaps turn back now.

Magical items in the module are few and far between, and the real treasure the PCs get is their freedom.

Also the module is long as gently caress.

Agreed. It was not my favorite module. I wouldn’t recommend it to people new to D&D unless they’re really into that kind of thing.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah we attempted it right after LMoP as new players and the whiplash was horrible.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

nelson posted:

Agreed. It was not my favorite module. I wouldn’t recommend it to people new to D&D unless they’re really into that kind of thing.

To be honest if they're into that thing and new to D&D, I'd probably recommend they skip straight to Vampire: The Masquerade, before they risk catching "I want to reskin everything to D&D" disease.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Reveilled posted:

To be honest if they're into that thing and new to D&D, I'd probably recommend they skip straight to Vampire: The Masquerade, before they risk catching "I want to reskin everything to D&D" disease.

One of my current games did a little dip into a vampire infestation in an otherwise fairly generic fantasy setting and this is how I feel about them in general after we spent more time as a group debating the exact rules for vampire weaknesses and if they actually needed their coffin and how it could be moved and what about this weird energy source how does that interact and so on and so forth. One of the other players wanted to try to buy the castle they lived in because of their understanding of the threshold rule or start building a bunch of quick homes to get a safe haven from them, which is imo some really good lateral thinking but afaik puts you thoroughly into calvinball territory as far as the 5e interpretation of vampires go. They feel like a square peg in a round hole in D&D. If you don't have their very specific weaknesses you're just hosed unless your DM decides that, no, actually, having basically invincible mist is not really a thing and lets you kill them with potent enough magic or is like "yeah the nearest town has a whole bunch of holy water available, go nuts". Vampires just don't fit into the rest of the game mechanics very well IMO. You either reduce how invincible they are to make them just a specific kind of lich, or you dive into their mechanics and then you should just go play Vampire.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Hot Take: Curse of Strahd is actually a boring adventure and, in fact, sucks.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

It's hard to maintain a horror theme when your wizard can decide it's a good time to turn into a t-rex.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cithen posted:

Hot Take: Curse of Strahd is actually a boring adventure and, in fact, sucks.

My group is close to finished with it, and drat has it been a joyless slog. Even with a group fully prepared to buy in to the premise and the setting, it's so boring and plodding.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
D&D is a game about power fantasy. Its not fun to be jerked around by some vampire rear end in a top hat in his magical land of mists, thats not a power fantasy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

D&D is a game about power fantasy. Its not fun to be jerked around by some vampire rear end in a top hat in his magical land of mists, thats not a power fantasy.

I don't know how well Curse of Strahd communicates it, but previous treatments of Ravenloft (both the module and the setting) have emphasized the powerlessness of the PCs as an essential part of the gothic horror-fantasy the setting is renowned for. Being jerked around by Strahd is inevitable, but it's meant to make beating him all the sweeter.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Curse of Strahd is extremely good and you all are super weird.

Edit: or your GMs suck

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Edit: I don't think any of my players read this thread but uh, don't read this post if I DM for you?

My group seemed to have a lot of fun with Curse of Strahd but I kinda reflavored it a little to have them slowly fighting back the dark with the campaign culminating with them ripping Barovia out of the Mists to a new setting.

My new campaign is set in the Duchy of Barovia about a century after it was saved by the fabled Heroes of Barovia. The darkness might always return but I liked having my party getting to make a concrete, lasting improvement to the world.

My next campaign is going to be about a cult trying to return Strahd to power, run by brides of Strahd that escaped the original party's delve through Ravenloft.

Arivia posted:

I don't know how well Curse of Strahd communicates it, but previous treatments of Ravenloft (both the module and the setting) have emphasized the powerlessness of the PCs as an essential part of the gothic horror-fantasy the setting is renowned for. Being jerked around by Strahd is inevitable, but it's meant to make beating him all the sweeter.

I really really liked DMing and roleplaying Strahd. Just a super powerful dweeb who does stuff like play Midnight Sonata when the party enters his castle for the first time because he is a total drama geek and powerful enough to get away with it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
My players agreed on controlling 2 characters in battle but having their second characters be unique NPCs they can recruit that have their own motivations/backstories. So I think I'll be going with that route as well as buffing their starting HP. Seemed like a good compromise because one player was cool with playing multiple characters but the other thought it would be too complex, so having them be NPCs should make it easier for me to take over as needed. The three of us are wrapping up playing Divinity 2 multiplayer so it seems like it should be a familiar setup.

I bought a copy of Curse of Strahd thinking "oh ravenloft sounds spooky and fun, and this is the most recommended adventure" without necessarily knowing how polarizing it is lol. TBH even if the campaign is super bleak, I feel like in practice it's just going to be as goofy as anything. d&d sessions always seem to end up as a bunch of wizards dunking on each other and then founding a local business startup run on goblin labor

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Curse of Strahd is extremely good and you all are super weird.

Edit: or your GMs suck

My current GM is pretty good and I've thoroughly enjoyed his other games. CoS is just badly written. It desperately wants to be a freeform sandbox and a railroad at the same time, and not nearly enough care went into making those desires mesh.

Rutibex posted:

I loved old Ravenloft, when it was effectively the antithesis of a power fantasy. I think a big difference is the writers weren't afraid to go all-in on the theme instead of the milquetoast module we got for 5E. There's nothing "horror" about CoS because at the end of the day you're still a party of superheroes, just with less money and equipment.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My Curse of Strahd game died 3 sessions in due to scheduling issues, but it seems like an okay sandbox presented terribly.

If you want to see what a well-presented sandbox looks like, check out The Dark of Hot Springs Island.

But yeah, I don't think straight horror is possible to do well in 5e, and trying gives you the weird bullshit /r/curseofstrahd comes up with. But action-horror is possible to do well - think like Evil Dead 2, Aliens, or From Dusk Till Dawn in terms of tone. It kind of hints at that: by the time you find the major thingies in Barovia you should pretty much be able to go and kick Stahd's rear end, with some planning and maybe some help.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Devorum posted:

My current GM is pretty good and I've thoroughly enjoyed his other games. CoS is just badly written. It desperately wants to be a freeform sandbox and a railroad at the same time, and not nearly enough care went into making those desires mesh.

Yeah, this is the real flaw with CoS. It's trying to be both a remake of Castle Ravenloft and a theme park full of references to the broader 2E setting. The group I played it with made it fun by just treating it with the same goofball attitude they take with every adventure. Strahd ended up more like a reoccurring JRPG villain whom we got to talk poo poo to a few times before finally taking him down. It ended with my druid of Malar becoming the new Dark Lord of Barovia.

I had fun, but I did not feel like I was playing a "gothic horror" campaign.

quote:

I loved old Ravenloft, when it was effectively the antithesis of a power fantasy. I think a big difference is the writers weren't afraid to go all-in on the theme instead of the milquetoast module we got for 5E. There's nothing "horror" about CoS because at the end of the day you're still a party of superheroes, just with less money and equipment.

I'll give credit to the new setting book for doing a lot of work to recapture this. There's a lot of, "sure you could easily kill this Dark Lord in combat, but that's not how they're gonna come at you," like in the 2E stuff.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So need a bit of help brainstorming something. For context, I'm running a Candlekeep Mysteries campaign for five players which strings together several of the adventures.

None of the group has played any of the adventures, except for the Lv. 5 adventure "The Price of Beauty". In fact three of them have played the adventure before.

I trust them all not to be meta-gamey and they've said they're happy to replay it again regardless. That being said, I want to introduce something new to the adventure just to freshen it up/throw off the players who've played it already.

I'm struggling to think of what I could add/change that could work, so would appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So need a bit of help brainstorming something. For context, I'm running a Candlekeep Mysteries campaign for five players which strings together several of the adventures.

None of the group has played any of the adventures, except for the Lv. 5 adventure "The Price of Beauty". In fact three of them have played the adventure before.

I trust them all not to be meta-gamey and they've said they're happy to replay it again regardless. That being said, I want to introduce something new to the adventure just to freshen it up/throw off the players who've played it already.

I'm struggling to think of what I could add/change that could work, so would appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

Have the three sisters be on the level and not hags. Maybe the dwarf who went there is actually loving things up by angering the spirit of Sylvarie

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

change my name posted:

Have the three sisters be on the level and not hags. Maybe the dwarf who went there is actually loving things up by angering the spirit of Sylvarie

That's pretty freaking good, would need to rework quite a bit but I dig it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Strahd is written to be scary and to make the players paranoid, but it doesn't work.

I pointed out to my DM that if Strahd can show up anywhere at anytime and do anything he wants, why fear him? At that point he's more an avatar of death, and fearing death is a waste of time because it can arbitrarily strike whenever. It would be stupid, yes, to seek it out, but then again, my character could be struck by an errant horse or fall into an unseen trap and woops RIP.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Don't run Strahd as a horror game, run it as Castlevania! The players are the morning sun, come to vanquish the horrible night!

D&D is definitely the wrong system for horror and helplessness. I like creepy, crawly, dark, and gross (in the fun way) stuff in my D&D game but the players are heroes who are the only people with the strength to rival the villains of the story, and should be treated as such.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well, Frostmaiden's finally getting tough: our ranger was carried off by Auril's roc and died in the process of retrieval when we knocked it prone 700+ feet in the air, then we rolled into the trial themed after the 12 Days of Christmas and are currently burning through our resources kind of fast only 5 rounds in

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Don't run Strahd as a horror game, run it as Castlevania! The players are the morning sun, come to vanquish the horrible night!

D&D is definitely the wrong system for horror and helplessness. I like creepy, crawly, dark, and gross (in the fun way) stuff in my D&D game but the players are heroes who are the only people with the strength to rival the villains of the story, and should be treated as such.

That's kind of the issue with it, though. It's sold as straight gothic horror and you shouldn't have to completely rework the tone to make a module fun. I get frustrated when people defend bad writing with "well, it's good if you rewrite it!".

It *can* work, but played straight it just doesn't. It's like the writers had never actually played 5E.

That said, a 5E Castlevania would be spectacular.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
The irony of CoS is that it's billed as an adventure that pushes your character into dark places, potentially corrupting any good-aligned character. That sounds fun until you realize that the fine line between the character and the player is fickle, and if the character starts to think "this sucks what's the point" then the player probably does too.

Unrelated: Does anyone know of any ancient egyptian-style adventures? This was a request from one of my players.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 28, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trivia posted:

Unrelated: Does anyone know of any ancient egyptian-style adventures? This was a request from one of my players.

Darksun has a bronze-age aesthetic with god-kings and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

horror adjacent kicks rear end in dnd, horror and comedy go perfectly together, curse of strahd is a game where you start off disempowered and get stronger throughout before eventually beating strahd(unless...?) and the module is amazing if you are willing to go off and on the rails as need be and also completely rewrite everything about the vistani(and maybe make ireena less useless)