Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Love to open my door a 8 am and be blasted by a Midsommar level wave of light and heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
That's raw though, there's usually a systematic bias in weather model surface outputs. Latest calibrated data for Monday has a median of 109F with an IQR 104-111, max range is 93 (lol) to 114 (also lol).

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know how to mentally work through this being reality.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

*joker cackling*

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You'll normalize it soon enough and life will go on in a new way. In 6 months people will be asking "what global warming" after it snows.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wondering how many people are going to cram into offices on Monday and give each other delta variant. hahahaha

Everyone in my company is no longer wearing masks and everyone keeps cramming into the space more and more each day.

Definitely not going into the office tomorrow.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

TehSaurus posted:

Maybe I can convince them to start lobbying for aerosol injection?

i would also note that aerosol injection is not a good idea

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Source4Leko posted:

You'll normalize it soon enough and life will go on in a new way. In 6 months people will be asking "what global warming" after it snows.

Me in December: if global warming why tepid Haw Haw

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Source4Leko posted:

once in a hundred-year heatwave? glad we won’t get another one of those for a century el oh el

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Can't wait till we're getting once-per-100000-year heatwaves like we got once-per-100000-year rainfall totals in Harvey. Once it happens it's not allowed to happen again until the next interglacial.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I kinda wonder how long it will be before we all collectively believe that Santa Claus has always lived at the South Pole?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

NeonPunk posted:

I kinda wonder how long it will be before we all collectively believe that Santa Claus has always lived at the South Pole?

With the heathens?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I just took a shower with the tap turned all the way to the cold zone and the water was still hot enough to steam up the bathroom

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TACD posted:

once in a hundred-year heatwave? glad we won’t get another one of those for a century el oh el

Uh oh, time for the stats nerds to swoop in and explain why actually it is totally expected as a function of the naming to get sixteen 500 year floods in 20 years

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

in 2017 we had a "1000 year" rain event and a 100 year event three weeks later and they're still fixing hosed up bridges. ~$100m in damage to an area with a population of ~10,000.

this is in the "most climate resilient" region of north america (upper great lakes)

strap in fuckers

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Source4Leko posted:

True. It Only Takes a Few Years for Perceptions of Extreme Weather to Normalize, Study Suggests

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

splurging on a cheap hotel with ac for two nights for the sake of our poor aged princess pup. poo poo sucks

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I know that I sometimes can't tell if my memory of childhood outdoors stuff is correct or if I just wasn't paying attention back then.

I suppose it doesn't help that I moved when I was 10, so it's hard to know if I showed up when things were "normal" or if the first few years in the new place were sorta "fluke" years.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

The saddest part of The Once and Future World is where he talks about how successive generations see the environment of their youth as the baseline, even though it's degrading significantly every generation. I bet kids born in the last few years will fondly remember the three fireflies they saw one night as indicative of a world of natural riches and wonder

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Fuligin posted:

splurging on a cheap hotel with ac for two nights for the sake of our poor aged princess pup. poo poo sucks

Yeah I did the same thing for my cats because one is older and sicker and one is a long haired black floof. After the first day of this event overperformed I just couldn't imagine them getting through a 110F day very well.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

"what are clouds?"

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

hifi posted:

i was told that seattle was so green and progressive. why are they boiling alive in their own piss

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/my-boyfriend-boils-his-balls-for-me/Content?oid=17443105

seattleites are well known for subjecting themselves to being boiled

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Seattle is running five degrees hotter so far today compared to yesterday, and yesterday's high was 102F.

Get that champagne ready, the all-time high is just a couple hours away.

Edi: haha Portland is running ~8F ahead of yesterday, when they hit 108F. Christ they could conceivably hit 120F tomorrow what a disaster.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SirPablo posted:

Seattle is running five degrees hotter so far today compared to yesterday, and yesterday's high was 102F.

Was the current all-time high set yesterday? :ohdear:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Seattle all-time is still 103F, I guess until maybe 2PM this afternoon.

Portland did a new one yesterday, 108F beating 107F. Today will reset it.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

All of the weather nerds were saying that the forecast model was completely wacked and to just ignore it.

I'll be laughing if the model turns out to be very conservative

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

All of the weather nerds were saying that the forecast model was completely wacked and to just ignore it.

Model temperature output, especially from the GFS, often ends up in fantasy ranges. Very odd to see it validate verbatim honestly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

use a loving condom what the gently caress

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

NeonPunk posted:

My favorite part of this was watching the weather nerds' reactions to the other models pulling into alignment with it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be even funnier when the GFS hypercane projections eventually start verifying

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Edi: haha Portland is running ~8F ahead of yesterday, when they hit 108F. Christ they could conceivably hit 120F tomorrow what a disaster.

oh word?

:suspense:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Radirot posted:

oh word?

:suspense:

Was already 100 by noon

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1409226494694498306

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
one of these is phoenix and the other is near portland

:allears:

the only thing that gives it away is the low

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Homocow posted:

one of these is phoenix and the other is near portland

:allears:

the only thing that gives it away is the low

was gonna say it was the one with the higher feels like index, because this one isn't quite a "dry heat" like they love to talk about in Arizona.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
lol portland becoming the next death valley.

quote:

According to the World Meteorological Organization's Global Weather & Climate Extremes Archive, temperatures in Death Valley reached international extremes when they hit 134 degrees Fahrenheit in 1913 — the hottest temperature recorded anywhere in the world.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mayor Dave posted:

It's so hot
Audience, in unison: "How hot is it?"

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

If you really want to go out in a blaze of glory that might be slightly less meaningless, only approach it from a local immediate resilience perspective (e.g. lobby for them to sponsor cooling centers during heat waves and the like).

That is actually a pretty great idea, thank you!

Luneshot posted:

i would also note that aerosol injection is not a good idea

Yeah it definitely isn't something I would choose, but I think it was mdemone who was talking about it in the other thread as being imminently necessary to prevent the worst feedbacks kicking off more or less immediately. It's just another broke brain flailing around helplessly.

In terms of immediately constructive advice, I spent a few hours listening to lectures on the bible eightfold path and I feel a lot better somehow, so maybe give that a shot if you're thinking of melting down like I was.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So this is going to be a wet bulb event, and even if its not and just close, is going to kill more folks than the condo collapse, won't it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

So this is going to be a wet bulb event, and even if its not and just close, is going to kill more folks than the condo collapse, won't it.

Lmao it’s hot and getting hotter but let’s be real it’s not going to be a wet bulb and while I think sadly there will be some deaths I don’t think it’ll get to triple digits

The most worrying thing to me is if it doesn’t cool off below 80 tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
opened the door to my balcony and immediately regretted it

gently caress me running you'd have to pay me to go outside today