Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I would do a fascism run just so you can say that you did it, but other than the vision quest (I haven't done a fash run in the Final Cut yet so I can't speak to it) you're not really missing out on a lot of content. It's just not an especially rewarding playthrough imo, which I think was very much intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hah, Cuno really is a genius! :D (Not to mention good at hurling high velocity projectiles)

Also, after you all mentioned it earlier, I realised that I completely missed out on Contact Mike on my playthrough - I've really gotta go through the game again, to see stuff like that, which I missed before. (And maybe do a high physical+motorics playthrough, with half-light and reaction speed being top stats!)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Hah, Cuno really is a genius! :D (Not to mention good at hurling high velocity projectiles)

Also, after you all mentioned it earlier, I realised that I completely missed out on Contact Mike on my playthrough - I've really gotta go through the game again, to see stuff like that, which I missed before. (And maybe do a high physical+motorics playthrough, with half-light and reaction speed being top stats!)

I'm pretty sure you'll get Contact Mike stuff on a red/yellow run. I'm several days into the same kind of run and haven't seen it, but even on my blue/purple run I didn't see any mentions of Contact Mike until I reached the church area.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think Contact Mike shows up at all until you talk to Acele and get the thought about him.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
completely missed out on contact mike the first time around and was so happy when i accidentally stumbled on him the second playthrough

assumed it was one off joke at first but he just kept popping up

honestly incredible how much good writing there is in this game

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
It's still healing and a little scabby but... finally got my very first video game tattoo.

(it's hard to take a picture of it "straight on" where it's not bent, but you get it)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Niiice!

Vantardise
Jan 10, 2019

Vantardise fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 18, 2021

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

hi this man made a good disco elysium video and i think you should watch it (spoilers involved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdW7Cp0iV0A

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flayer posted:

Disco Elysium is less of a detective story and more of a paean to the purity of lost revolution (nothing is more beautiful than the idea which existed without the chance to fail of its own accord). Infra-communism is written to be a ridiculous theory but the basic tenet that people fervently believing in communism would make it possible seemed to me to be the real belief of the writers. The ending and the culprit reinforced that idea.
I think there is more nuance and complexity to it than this, and I think the story avoids actually putting a big stamp and saying "this specific course of action is Right, and everything else is just increasingly wrong," the way that I think a lot of people expect it to, hearing about all the options where you can fire up the Big Communism Builder.

That said, you're certainly not going to get communism (or its equivalent/successor/anodic-dance-music-based second version) without people believing in it fervently. The game does seem to encourage you to commit to things, even if you step back later. But that idea isn't new at all.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Indecisive posted:

hi this man made a good disco elysium video and i think you should watch it (spoilers involved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdW7Cp0iV0A

this is good

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way, this morning on the bus I saw THIS guy, who's either a dead ringer, or Harry himself. Couldn't resist taking a photo to show a friend, so I thought I might as well show you guys, since it was super uncanny. :D

He doesn't seem to be drunk and has showered, so he's obviously had a good ending. (Albeit a complete lack of Kim indicating that he wasn't able to recruit him after the island) No horrific necktie or Dick Mullen hat though, sadly. :( At least he had both his shoes and the sense to bring a bag to earn some reál! haha

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 21, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that’s just Ted Cruz

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since we're posting critiques / video essays on Disco, I watched all of these, everyone has their own take on the game really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7ngJDbUQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md5PTWBuGpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9vGYRBtCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo4sHDGiDC0

None of these are about the final cut, so you might be able to hear some OG Cuno in those. Also full spoilers of course.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What's the "superior" way of doing a 1/1/1/1 botchcop run? Trying to get the thoughts that increase learning caps for important stuff? Or the type that does not level up anything whatsoever or try to metagame out of being such a fuckup? I mostly wanna see how much time a failcop gets in a day due to less time getting eaten by succeeding a whole bunch of passive checks, plus how many weird/funny passive check failures there are for stuff.

Like this:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 21, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you don't level stuff up, you are going to have to plan out how to unlock certain required white checks with external help. You can then fail them three times to proceed, but planning might be required not to softlock yourself (within the context of the challenge mode). Also not sure if you'd ever see Evrart or get the body down.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tylana posted:

If you don't level stuff up, you are going to have to plan out how to unlock certain required white checks with external help. You can then fail them three times to proceed, but planning might be required not to softlock yourself (within the context of the challenge mode). Also not sure if you'd ever see Evrart or get the body down.

There's an achievement for never even interacting with the body which would probably synergize pretty well with absolute fuckup cop

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

christmas boots posted:

There's an achievement for never even interacting with the body which would probably synergize pretty well with absolute fuckup cop

That reminded me that last time I looked 0% people got this achievement on steam. But now it's 0,1%! :woop:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Finally finished my run where I neither picked up my badge nor reported it missing: you can either play dumb (“My badge?”) or admit you lost it, at which point Jean yells at you to go look in your car. . Also, if you never speak to the two “mysterious figures” who show up at the Whirling on Day 3, Jean’s dialog looks more-or-less the same but Kim makes a passing comment about noticing them in the crowd. These are minor things, but they’re fun touches.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Came across an uncensored f*****t in Titus' dialogue today. Guess they had the voice actors saying fucktart in the booth, or maybe that's what Cuno was supposed to be saying all along

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Something I'm trying on my current playthrough is finishing the church sidequest and doing the whole dance sequence after the tribunal. Not much changed except a few lines and -1 to the check to start dancing, although I also couldn't dance til I passed out and I'm not sure if the second bit is because of when I did it, or if it's possibly build or thought cabinet related.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Flayer posted:

Encyclopedia is the best. I remember triggering some history quiz and Encyclopedia is like "this is the poo poo I was made for" before proceeding to give completely useless information and failing to help answer any of the questions.

This is the quiz from reading the Greatest Innocence, right? My read on this is that Encyclopedia is deliberately tanking the quiz. Harry associates the Innocence Delores Dei with his ex Dora and his skills frequently try to distract or divert Harry from thinking about Dora or things that remind him of Dora. Particularly on the last question, Encyclopedia is trying to distract Harry by being frustratingly unhelpful so that Harry is arguing with himself instead of thinking about Delores Dei. At least that's my take on it.

Another neat thing with Encyclopedia. When your Volition is high enough to realize Klaasje is playing you, you can get an Encyclopedia prompt through some dialog where Volition will chime in and say you can probably trust Encyclopedia not to be compromised.

It's really hard for me to create a character with low Encyclopedia because it just adds so much, even though I've read it all before.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Hobo Clown posted:

Came across an uncensored f*****t in Titus' dialogue today. Guess they had the voice actors saying fucktart in the booth, or maybe that's what Cuno was supposed to be saying all along

I think all the actors said something different under the censoring, but can't remember where I read it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

neongrey posted:

I think all the actors said something different under the censoring, but can't remember where I read it.

That was me, I caught "f****t" being read as "human being", "fucktard" or "flaubert" by different voice actors

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EorayMel posted:

What's the "superior" way of doing a 1/1/1/1 botchcop run? Trying to get the thoughts that increase learning caps for important stuff? Or the type that does not level up anything whatsoever or try to metagame out of being such a fuckup? I mostly wanna see how much time a failcop gets in a day due to less time getting eaten by succeeding a whole bunch of passive checks, plus how many weird/funny passive check failures there are for stuff.

Like this:

Behold! A man!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I have a lot of thoughts on this game but the first is that I’d just assumed “Dolores Dei” was a pun on “Doris Day” and upon finishing it turns out no one seems to think that except me. She’s known for the song "My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time,” coincidentally or not

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

vegetables posted:

I have a lot of thoughts on this game but the first is that I’d just assumed “Dolores Dei” was a pun on “Doris Day” and upon finishing it turns out no one seems to think that except me. She’s known for the song "My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time,” coincidentally or not

I'm right there with you. That was my initial thought about her.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pinely posted:

This is the quiz from reading the Greatest Innocence, right? My read on this is that Encyclopedia is deliberately tanking the quiz. Harry associates the Innocence Delores Dei with his ex Dora and his skills frequently try to distract or divert Harry from thinking about Dora or things that remind him of Dora. Particularly on the last question, Encyclopedia is trying to distract Harry by being frustratingly unhelpful so that Harry is arguing with himself instead of thinking about Delores Dei. At least that's my take on it.

Another neat thing with Encyclopedia. When your Volition is high enough to realize Klaasje is playing you, you can get an Encyclopedia prompt through some dialog where Volition will chime in and say you can probably trust Encyclopedia not to be compromised.

It's really hard for me to create a character with low Encyclopedia because it just adds so much, even though I've read it all before.

On the note of Dolores Dei, her characterization put me through some low grade terror: here was a divine entity who descended upon civilization, "uplifted" it by maximizing our utility to an optimal amount of wheat and pigs and just enough social welfare, without ever liberating us from our shackles. Stuff we would have come up with ourselves, eventually.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Progressor and progressed, probably. I don't even remeber whether ZAUM listed the Strugatsky brothers as an influence.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Xander77 posted:

Progressor and progressed, probably. I don't even remeber whether ZAUM listed the Strugatsky brothers as an influence.

yep, Strugatsky brothers are explicitly mentioned here as a major influence. though you can kinda parse their influence on DE even without knowing about it if you're familiar with their body of work, i'd say

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Question to people who have finished the game multiple times: are there two different outcomes to meeting the phasmid in the ending and using Inland Empire? My interaction using was beautifully haunting, here I was conversing(?) with a strange alien creature, innocent of all the madness of civilized Innosentric society, interrogating our meanings of our shared evolutions. If its pheromones set the Deserter over the edge, it was an accident of biology. And it is a tragedy that we shall all share the same fate under the weight of the Pale.

But from what I can tell, other people describe a phasmid that is cruel and nihilistic, who deliberately drove the Deserter mad. Is there a trigger for these two outcomes?

In case you asked, I took a double dose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phobophilia posted:

On the note of Dolores Dei, her characterization put me through some low grade terror: here was a divine entity who descended upon civilization, "uplifted" it by maximizing our utility to an optimal amount of wheat and pigs and just enough social welfare, without ever liberating us from our shackles. Stuff we would have come up with ourselves, eventually.

Between that and the Suzerainty game, the implication is she's pretty much a character like a Civilization player, taking control of a society, reshaping it to her likely, and launching wars of expansion and enforced cultural control, with her actions treated as unquestionable and inevitable. And her repeated doomed expeditions into the Pale to find the isola almost seems like meta-knowledge from the perspective of someone from within the game.

There's actually a few bits where the protagonist suspects he might be a character in a game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hence why toy soldiers are a holy icon in Her Worship.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya that was the vibe that I got from the game, the Pale is just all the other junk on my hard drive that isn’t DE, and it is constantly expanding and encroaching and eventually I will run out of space and delete DE to install some inferior game. And the Paledriver is sneaking out and watching movies on my Plex server.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That idea never dawned on me. Pretty cool.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You guys might like Nier Automata!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Phobophilia posted:

Question to people who have finished the game multiple times: are there two different outcomes to meeting the phasmid in the ending and using Inland Empire? My interaction using was beautifully haunting, here I was conversing(?) with a strange alien creature, innocent of all the madness of civilized Innosentric society, interrogating our meanings of our shared evolutions. If its pheromones set the Deserter over the edge, it was an accident of biology. And it is a tragedy that we shall all share the same fate under the weight of the Pale.

But from what I can tell, other people describe a phasmid that is cruel and nihilistic, who deliberately drove the Deserter mad. Is there a trigger for these two outcomes?

In case you asked, I took a double dose.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. That would be a cool thing to happen, but I've only heard people refer to the experience you had.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Reminder Half Light is still The Best Skill™

And Crown Head is still a condom™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's actually a few bits where the protagonist suspects he might be a character in a game.

Joyce says they're realizing the world is disc shaped, like a CD or a hard drive. One line that got me emotionally was when Dora says "My love for him is a copy of my love for you." Because it's true. It's just copied code. :(