Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Radirot posted:

"what are clouds?"
what were the skies like when you were young?

https://youtu.be/2WAb3Ae1Jc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

use a loving condom what the gently caress
More like the dude should just have a drat vasectomy and not bring more kids into climate hellworld.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Crunchy Black posted:

So this is going to be a wet bulb event, and even if its not and just close, is going to kill more folks than the condo collapse, won't it.

only if you bother counting the dead

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

So this is going to be a wet bulb event, and even if its not and just close, is going to kill more folks than the condo collapse, won't it.

Wtf is a wet bulb event

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

Wtf is a wet bulb event

Dont you post in the climate thread?

this talks about it a bit

https://research.noaa.gov/article/ArtMID/587/ArticleID/2621/Dangerous-humid-heat-extremes-occurring-decades-before-expected

quote:

High humid heat defeats the body’s cooling system

The researchers conducted the most rigorous analysis yet using an index called “wet-bulb temperature” based on weather station temperature and humidity data. Wet-bulb temperature, the reading from a thermometer when covered in a wet cloth, is related to how muggy it feels and represents how effectively a person sheds heat by sweating.

Sweating alone does nothing to cool the body unless the water evaporates. Around a wet-bulb temperature of 95°F (35°C), human’s survivability limit, evaporation of sweat is no longer enough for our bodies to regulate their internal temperature. But serious impacts occur at values as low as 79°F (26°C).

“When wet-bulb temperatures are extremely high, there is so much moisture in the air that sweating becomes ineffective at removing the body’s excess heat, like what happens in a steam room,” said Colin Raymond, the study’s lead author who conducted work at Columbia University and is now a postdoctoral scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. “At some point, perhaps after six or more hours, this will lead to organ failure and death in the absence of access to artificial cooling.”

quote:

The authors note, for example, that the 2003 European heat wave caused over 50,000 deaths at wet-bulb temperatures close to 79°F. In the United States where air conditioning is more widespread, the 1995 Chicago heat wave reached wet-bulb temperatures of 85°F and killed over 700 people.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Jun 27, 2021

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

SirPablo posted:

Wtf is a wet bulb event

eventually evaporation (sweating) stops working if the air is already too humid. if the air is saturated and it's above human body temperature, you just start cooking rather than self-cooling

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Wtf is a wet bulb event

Wet bulb event is my meatloaf tribute band’s name

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yes I understand what the wet bulb is, I just haven't heard of a "wet bulb event". There is always a wet bulb temperature.

Portland now running about ten degrees warmer than yesterday and already at 108F today.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

Yes I understand what the wet bulb is, I just haven't heard of a "wet bulb event". There is always a wet bulb temperature.

Portland now running about ten degrees warmer than yesterday and already at 108F today.

Ah. It comes up as a phrase in a couple of recent books like Uninhabitable Earth and I think The End of Ice edit: Definitely remember it coming up in The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SirPablo posted:

basically it is shorthand for a heat wave that isn't survivable without air conditioning. nearly everyone who isn't able to get to climate controlled shelter dies, as does a lot of wildlife.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Ah ok. Dumb name. Needs better branding, like basically every popular weather phenomenon.

Going back and reading forecast discussions from the NWS Portland office is :discourse: they really couldn't convince themselves that the lion was going to eat their face.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

the air in the pnw stays very very dry relative to the midwest and tropics so our wet-bulb temps stay comfortable even when the air gets hot

just regular old heat exhaustion & dehydration you have to worry about, not evaporative cooling thru sweat not working :)

to be super specific, you measure wet bulb by wrapping the thermometer in a damp cloth. if the air isn't humid, this will be cooler than a dry thermometer. if it's not and reads over like 90 :byewhore:

HookedOnChthonics has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Jun 27, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Portland, 2 PM yesterday: 96F
Portland, 2PM today: 109F

They'll probably grab a 115F today. Maybe cool to 83-86F tonight, make a run at 120F tomorrow. This is like a slow motion tornado sitting in a region.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Never heard of wet bulb but it sounds like every day in the summer in Houston. gently caress it’s miserable from July-September

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i was going to lol but then i remembered i live in florida between two bodies of water that moderate the temperature and are a nice cool *checks notes* 84° each

goddamn i was thinking of going to the beach but that's right out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

George H.W. oval office posted:

Never heard of wet bulb but it sounds like every day in the summer in Houston. gently caress it’s miserable from July-September

Yeah but like the NOAA article - its about whether you have somewhere to go to cool off. If you live in an area where AC isn't common, it will gently caress you up good and fast.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think this was the closest a populated place ever got

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-world-record/

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Portland, 2 PM yesterday: 96F
Portland, 2PM today: 109F

They'll probably grab a 115F today. Maybe cool to 83-86F tonight, make a run at 120F tomorrow. This is like a slow motion tornado sitting in a region.

Yes it is very unnerving, also waiting for the wildfires to start popping up.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Wet bulb is just the temperature you need to cool the air for dew (or frost if <32F) to form. It always exists - Houston in the summer or Lake Volstok in the winter.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

Wet bulbs is just the temperature you need to cool the air for dew (or frost if <32F) to form. It always exists - Houston in the summer or Lake Volstok in the winter.

I think that's why people started calling it "wet bulb events" because obviously its always there but saying "its too hot and humid for humans the survive" is a bit long winded.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

covid probably already took care of most of the elderly that a nasty heatwave would usually take

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

probably been posted before, but now applicable to the PNW

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I hate this

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1409256705125281794

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

yes yes but it’s a dry heat :smug:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

105 for me, my bedroom is 94 and the router is too hot for internet, so phone only. This sucks poo poo tbh.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hopefully the grid doesn't go tits up.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Down in the Oregon LAN thread (i think that’s where I saw it) somebody who at least sounded like they knew what they were talking about seemed to think PGE is in pretty good shape to meet the demands

I haven’t experienced any brown outs or dimming or anything so far but I’m right in the middle of Portland so the grids probably super developed and redundant here

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’m watching the usatf Olympic trials and the temp in Eugene is 104F, right now, god only knows what it feels like on the field

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

Hopefully the grid doesn't go tits up.

Good job saying something - a transformer just exploded in one of the suburbs

https://twitter.com/cityofissaquah/status/1409257808218914817?s=20

this is clearly your fault.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Mood rn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7M6cMrgFrI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Canada just set a new national record

https://twitter.com/robsobs/status/1409265686791086083?s=21

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

how accurate were temp recording in the 1930s

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

how accurate were temp recording in the 1930s

Mercury is pretty accurate.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Nooo Canada don't immolate your so full of fresh water aha

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Lytton is a place where forest fires get under control then spontaneously reignite. I am entirely unsurprised that it is now the hottest place in Canada.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Nowhere BC hotter than Phoenix today (high of 112F so far).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the usatf Olympic trials have been suspended because of heat

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
dew points are just a bit too low to be a major contributor to this event. They're sitting in the mid to low 60s in Seattle. If they got up in the 70F range where heat index values start exploding, absolutely we would be in mass casualty event territory, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

dew points are just a bit too low to be a major contributor to this event. They're sitting in the mid to low 60s in Seattle. If they got up in the 70F range where heat index values start exploding, absolutely we would be in mass casualty event territory, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Yeah, dew points are higher where I'm at in Texas (72) despite it being in the 80s right now. At least sweating will cool you off there, just need to stay hydrated and out of the sun. still miserable and dangerous though

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1409279335928766471

Salem was really ahead of the curve on airport building I guess