Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I haven’t seen much out of the NDP to suggest they’d do any different on housing than the libs.

The Fed NDP plan really seems to be a promise of [bigger number than Liberals] housing units, which is a shame since even though, yes more housing units would help very much, politically I really don't think the public really sees a significant differentiation when one party simply promises the same thing as the other but more.

We know though that the Liberals have absolutely no interest in disturbing the status quo, so voting for another government is required for any possibility of change to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

The Fed NDP plan really seems to be a promise of [bigger number than Liberals] housing units, which is a shame since even though, yes more housing units would help very much, politically I really don't think the public really sees a significant differentiation when one party simply promises the same thing as the other but more.

We know though that the Liberals have absolutely no interest in disturbing the status quo, so voting for another government is required for any possibility of change to happen.

I’ll be voting conservative. The NDP are unelectable (so are the Greens) and Trudeau has become everything he said he wasn’t. He probably always was like this but for many of us, Harper had become so beholden to extremists that the Cons weren’t an option. A conservative government still won’t change much of anything, but at least we’d be done with Trudeau for a while.

As for housing, it will take some huge external shock to change things. We know what are so-called leaders will do: nothing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'll grant that encouraging accelerationism could also be a catalyst for change, of sorts.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I’ll be voting conservative. The NDP are unelectable (so are the Greens) and Trudeau has become everything he said he wasn’t. He probably always was like this but for many of us, Harper had become so beholden to extremists that the Cons weren’t an option. A conservative government still won’t change much of anything, but at least we’d be done with Trudeau for a while.

As for housing, it will take some huge external shock to change things. We know what are so-called leaders will do: nothing.

This is idiotic

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I'll be voting conservative. [Unintelligable]

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you look conservative for any reason your reproductive organs should fall out through your rear end in a top hat

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

leftist heap posted:

This is idiotic

That’s helpful.

The first thesis here is that the NDP and Greens can’t be elected in any way that will create change. The NDP in particular have propped up the Liberals and gained what, exactly?

The second is that JT has demonstrated he can’t be trusted.

He says he is a feminist. Yet he has credible accusations against him suggesting he treats women horribly.

He claims to be pro-indigenous, yet when challenged by protesters, he mocks them. And he railroads Jody Wilson-Raybould when she tries to follow the law.

He claims to be against racism, yet he seemed to think it appropriate to dress in blackface on multiple occasions.

He claims to care about ethical behaviour, yet he’s OK taking free trips from the Aga Khan, giving piles to WE Charity while his Mom and relatives were taking money from them, and seems happy to interfere in a federal prosecution.

He claims to care about electoral fairness yet abandons his promise to implement proportional representation no sooner than he gets elected.

So if the evidence shows that a) a minority government has been ineffective in checking the Liberals, b) that JT is untrustworthy and unethical, and c) that minority parties can’t or won’t cause the government to fall, why is voting conservative so awful? How else to hold government accountable?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Tighclops posted:

If you look conservative for any reason your reproductive organs should fall out through your rear end in a top hat

Why bother.

Seriously, I campaigned for Trudeau, knocked doors, donated money, attended rallies. I was so optimistic yet have been colossally disappointed in his absence of anything representing adherence to values.

Effectively , we have a two party system. So who am I supposed to vote for when I have profound disagreement with the current government and change is my primary goal?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Seriously, I campaigned for Trudeau, knocked doors, donated money, attended rallies.
now you're going to credulously support another right wing party while ignoring the warnings about them from the left. tell us more :allears:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

now you're going to credulously support another right wing party while ignoring the warnings about them from the left. tell us more :allears:

Right. So the Liberals are effectively a benign dictatorship unaccountable to anyone. Does that seem like a good idea to you?

Edit: And what other right wing party is there? I’ve voted Liberal or NDP my entire life. When people like me are frustrated with the inability of these parties to change things for everyone, especially those less fortunate, what am I to do? Telling us that the boogeyman will get us all if I vote to hold power to account is not effective.

I’m no huge fan of the Conservatives but they are the only viable option if we are force governments to behave ethically by voting them out to think about what they have done.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 27, 2021

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Take it to canpol. This thread is where we share home ownership tips and talk mortgage rates.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I love how the Conservatives are demonstratably worse regarding everything you claim to hate about Trudeau and your solution is to vote for them.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Effectively , we have a two party system.

That’s a lie told to useful idiots

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

McGavin posted:

I love how the Conservatives are demonstratably worse regarding everything you claim to hate about Trudeau and your solution is to vote for them.

So what’s yours? I’m open to alternatives.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The NDP are in fact useless. That doesn’t mean voting for them won’t scare the liberals into adopting more leftist policies. If you vote conservative you are not only telling the liberals you hate them, but also that you want them to move further to the right, which is really idiotic.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I think you’re on to something, if the liberals can’t make anything better, I guess my only option is to vote for the people that will actively make poo poo worse.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Lmao at someone looking at the landscape we're in and genuinely believing the conservatives will be the ones to "fix" this.

Hah.

Holy poo poo how loving cucked can you be?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

qhat posted:

The NDP are in fact useless. That doesn’t mean voting for them won’t scare the liberals into adopting more leftist policies. If you vote conservative you are not only telling the liberals you hate them, but also that you want them to move further to the right, which is really idiotic.

It's this.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Conservative housing platform is the exact same as the Liberal platform in that both agree that the most important thing is protecting the wealth of the "Middle Class" (read: established homeowner equity) and the status quo of land use dominated by low rise detached housing for said Middle Class.

The only differentiation is that the Conservatives have been talking a lot more about the need for "more supply" but if you think that means a yimby urbanist utopia of more apartment buildings for renters and a compact urban form, you're goddamn out of your mind because it actually means getting rid of environmental protections and paving over farmland to create more detached houses.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Seriously, I campaigned for Trudeau, knocked doors, donated money, attended rallies. I was so optimistic yet have been colossally disappointed in his absence of anything representing adherence to values.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Liberals gonna ....lib?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

That’s helpful.

The first thesis here is that the NDP and Greens can’t be elected in any way that will create change. The NDP in particular have propped up the Liberals and gained what, exactly?

The second is that JT has demonstrated he can’t be trusted.

He says he is a feminist. Yet he has credible accusations against him suggesting he treats women horribly.

He claims to be pro-indigenous, yet when challenged by protesters, he mocks them. And he railroads Jody Wilson-Raybould when she tries to follow the law.

He claims to be against racism, yet he seemed to think it appropriate to dress in blackface on multiple occasions.

He claims to care about ethical behaviour, yet he’s OK taking free trips from the Aga Khan, giving piles to WE Charity while his Mom and relatives were taking money from them, and seems happy to interfere in a federal prosecution.

He claims to care about electoral fairness yet abandons his promise to implement proportional representation no sooner than he gets elected.

So if the evidence shows that a) a minority government has been ineffective in checking the Liberals, b) that JT is untrustworthy and unethical, and c) that minority parties can’t or won’t cause the government to fall, why is voting conservative so awful? How else to hold government accountable?

pee pee doo doo

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

On a riding-by-riding basis, it's demonstrably true about 98% of the time.

Femtosecond posted:

The Conservative housing platform is the exact same as the Liberal platform in that both agree that the most important thing is protecting the wealth of the "Middle Class" (read: established homeowner equity) and the status quo of land use dominated by low rise detached housing for said Middle Class.

The hilarious part is that the NDP platform would be identical if they suddenly found themselves able to form government, because it would be the same established homeowners who put them there.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Any more hot takes mr Peabody?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

tagesschau posted:

On a riding-by-riding basis, it's demonstrably true about 98% of the time.

Because we keep falling for it every time.

Ya granted were not going to have some real left wing party take power next election but even 2 or 3 seats gained each election means something

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Because we keep falling for it every time.

No, that's actually how it works. The third-place finisher in any riding often has a better chance of winning the lottery than winning the seat. Very few ridings are three-way races.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Sorry dude I’m not voting for red poo poo or blue poo poo no matter what the idiot goons say
Had this same argument last election with a bunch of idiots who voted Trudeau because they were scared of the milk sucker on team blue.

Like we’d even notice the difference if he had won

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Sorry dude I’m not voting for red poo poo or blue poo poo no matter what the idiot goons say

There's a chance that, depending on your riding, you're voting for someone who might be able to win. But if your preferred candidate is that distant third or lower, you're lying to yourself if you insist that voting for them is equivalent to anything other than not voting.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Like we’d even notice the difference if he had won

Well, at least you're making it clear that you're just here to shitpost instead of paying attention to reality.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

First past the post is a terrible system, we all get this. If you’re not in a swing riding well you’re hosed, but that is still no excuse to vote for a party that will actually be much worse for you than the current party. Popular vote statistics are published every election which help shine a spotlight on how unbalanced the system is.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like honestly you don’t go around wishing things could be better while actually voting for policies that do the exact opposite. By voting NDP your might end up splitting the vote and putting a conservative in power anyway, but people will notice a swing from libs to NDP and it might, might, precipitate a shift left in policies for the liberals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tagesschau posted:

No, that's actually how it works. The third-place finisher in any riding often has a better chance of winning the lottery than winning the seat. Very few ridings are three-way races.

Someone should have told Annamie Paul about this revelation.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Can someone tell these goons that their stupid little vote is not deciding the goddamn election you loving ego maniacs?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all loving stupid opinions. This is my loving opinion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ok ok I get it. I was up my own arse with the post.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you really want to stick it to Trudeau, you should vote Christian Heritage. Check out their housing policies:

a. Reduce foreign purchases of homes, businesses and farmland
b. Strengthen the family unit, reduce divorce and the necessity of one couple maintaining two homes
c. Make stay-at-home parenting more affordable

Well, there you go! I have no idea what C) meana or how it would address housing affordability, but B) is a winner. How's "Shack up to stop housing prices going up" as a slogan?

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

eXXon posted:

, but B) is a winner. How's "Shack up to stop housing prices going up" as a slogan?

Polygamy would reduce housing costs even further.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

tagesschau posted:

The hilarious part is that the NDP platform would be identical if they suddenly found themselves able to form government, because it would be the same established homeowners who put them there.

YEP.

We've seen this with the BC NDP immediate rejection of the idea from the recent housing affordability report of limiting the homeowner tax credit.

At the end of the day it's still a political party and adding a big ~$600 tax increase to 60%+ of the population is hilariously bad politics.

Similarly other explicit measures against homeowners, 60% of the electorate, are not likely to happen.

What we could expect from the NDP that we probably won't get from the Liberals though is some pro-renter measures that could have second order effects of reducing demand for existing homes. This is an indirect way to put a lid on the insane price appreciation we've been seeing without making it look like the government is explicitly doing this.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Philman posted:

Polygamy would reduce housing costs even further.

Canadian society turning into a bunch of polycules as the only affordable way to raise a family and own property.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Why bother.

Effectively , we have a two party system. So who am I supposed to vote for when I have profound disagreement with the current government and change is my primary goal?

mila kunis posted:

I just assume canadian swing voters are like dogs and sort of do things arbitrarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

"bubu the foreign buyers tax is racist :qq:"

nope

quote:

Foreign buyers’ tax upheld; not discriminatory: B.C. Court of Appeal

The Court of Appeal of British Columbia has upheld a prior ruling that the provincial government’s foreign buyer’s property transfer tax is lawful and not discriminatory.

People’s Republic of China citizen Jing Li had her appeal unanimously dismissed June 29 by Justice Barbara Fisher with Justice Susan Griffin and Justice Peter Voith in support.

Li’s class action petition argued three key grounds: the tax violates the Constitution Act with overreaching provincial power; it also violates the Citizenship Act by not meeting Canada’s free trade obligations; and finally, it is discriminatory under the Charter of Freedoms and Rights (and particularly so against Chinese nationals).

Ultimately, Fisher determined B.C. Supreme Court Justice Gregory Bowden was correct in his key assessments of the facts put before him in 2019.

First, the province has broad and significant powers over land rights. Second, “the use of foreign capital to purchase residential real property within a province does not fit within the normal paradigm of trade and commerce of commodities across borders.” And third, Li “has not established that the tax provisions create a distinction, whether direct or indirect, based on citizenship or national origin.”

Fisher found the prior ruling sound, as it relied on the fact the tax applies to all foreign nationals and its primary goal is to help achieve housing affordability.

“The view that foreign nationals significantly contributed to the escalation of prices of housing in the GVRD is neither a stereotype nor a continuation of racist policies from the past,” ruled Bowden on October 25, 2019. “The experts have agreed that the inflow of foreign capital has significantly contributed to price increases in the GVRD.”

Li argued Asians, and particularly Chinese people, were discriminated against more so than other nationalities.

Part of her initial evidence, which was not considered by Bowden, was a report from Dr. Henry Yu, a University of B.C. professor who contended the now 20% foreign buyer’s tax is akin to past racist government policies against Asians. (Yu, who often consults government on issues of Chinese-Canadian history, also spoke against the recent money laundering inquiry, suggesting it was racially motivated.)

As Fisher noted, Yu argued that “the ‘pervasive public discourse’ that preceded the imposition of the tax conflated ‘Chinese’ with foreign, thereby targeting Chinese foreign buyers.”

But Bowden, noted Fisher, “considered the historical portion of [Yu’s] report to be unnecessary and the remainder to constitute argument rather than proper expert evidence. He expressed concern about the lack of references to source materials and Dr. Yu’s reliance on Google searches, and letters to editors and provincial government ministers to support his conclusions.”

Fisher stated Bowden should have included Yu’s report but doing so wouldn’t have made a difference and it was within his right.

“While he ought not to have excluded the entire report, the historical facts were not in dispute and this error had little effect on the analysis,” stated Fisher, adding that regardless of historical wrongs, Asians in B.C. today are equally affected by the high cost of housing.

“It is unfortunate that some of the public discourse surrounding the tax reflected unacceptable discriminatory attitudes towards Asian and Chinese persons, but there were also many people who simply sought to have a candid discussion about the problem of foreign demand on the local residential housing market,” stated Fisher.

As the facts showed, foreign money was a contributing factor to Vancouver’s unique and steep rise in residential real estate between 2013 and 2017, regardless of the vast majority of it coming from China.

The government started collecting data before the tax was imposed in August 2016 on most urban areas of the province.

“The results of the first full month collection of data showed that 9.7% of residential real estate transactions in the GVRD involved foreign nationals,” Bowden noted.

“This represented a transactional value of $885,393,373. In the City of Vancouver the percentage was 10.9%, 17.7% in the City of Burnaby and 18.2% in the City of Richmond.”

Li moved to Canada in 2013 to complete a master’s degree in public administration at the University of Saskatchewan before later moving to B.C.

On July 13, 2016, Li bought a residential real property in Langley for $559,000 plus $27,995 GST. The tax kicked in that August with Li owing an additional $83,850 as she was neither a permanent resident of Canada nor a citizen.

According to the initial ruling, Bowden noted, “In the 12-month period leading up to July 2016, the price of a single-family home increased by almost 40%. Over the same period the price of condominiums had increased by 30.9%.”