Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StormDrain posted:

Fuuuck that. Attics suck. Idk where you live but the last time I went in mine it was a limit of about 5 minutes because it was 130 degrees in there and I was drenched in sweat. Couple that with the need for gloves and long sleeves and a hat and safety glasses so you don't get itchy.

Also a mask/respirator because gently caress inhaling that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also a mask/respirator because gently caress inhaling that poo poo.

My best decision was buying a set of overalls and a nice mask. I don't go into the attic in the summer though, gently caress that poo poo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guy Axlerod posted:

This seems concerning. Does your alarm have the numbers on it to show the level?

I just tested it and it tells me the highest level it has ever recorded is 0. It's a combo unit and I'm pretty sure the shower humidity set it off.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

devicenull posted:

My best decision was buying a set of overalls and a nice mask. I don't go into the attic in the summer though, gently caress that poo poo.

yooo this sounds like the fuckin JAM. :thanks:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wolfs posted:

my HOA’s management company is trying to charge me monthly assessments when my ALTA settlement statement and signed closing forms say they’re due on a quarterly basis. they’ll start charging me late fees and poo poo July 15th.

is this what title insurance is for? I called my title Insurance’s 800 number and left a voicemail, but I’ll call again tomorrow.

I called my escrow officer and they confirmed that HOA payments are quarterly, and they said they’d talk to the HOA management company, but that was close to end of business here. the management company is seemingly based in California and I’m in Texas, so they’ve been emailing me and sandbagging the pdfs I’ve sent that say “HOA Dues 1st quarter” among all the other line items from closing.

Title insurance: no.

Quarterly vs monthly - pick your battles. Assuming this is just $dues/12 instead of $dues/4.

I would let this go.

If this is ($dues/4)*12 then obviously :killing:

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Well. The inspector showed up today and passed me based on that valve.

So crisis adverted for now. Still want to figure out what the actual gently caress is happening here, but now there’s not more ticking fine bomb.

Can you get a few photos of this valve?
What makes you sure this valve is for the whole neighborhood and not your location?

If you can make a rough map of the other valves in your neighborhood, you can probably get a pretty quick idea for where the main line is and where are the branch lines are.

If there is a round cap that says "GAS" and its in the middle of the street, chances are it is for the neighborhood.
If it is pretty close to your property, it is probably yours.
Side walk? It depends...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm more than happy to pay people to deal with attic insulation. But I've got other problems up there - squirrels have gotten in and died, so there's lots of fun stuff up there. I'm paying someone to clean out all the old insulation, I'm gonna do some electrical while I've got easy access (including some knob & tube that's strangely live!), and then paying people to air seal and re-insulate. And mine's only 500-600 sqft.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Ordered a new retrofit patio door, and oops, measured poorly. Fortunately(?) It's too small, but not sure what my options are. Door installer said they could make it work buy I'm not so sure:

Header/studs are all fine, just wondering if I have any options or can throw plywood shims in the space, fill with expanding foam and resize trim or need to eat the cost of a new door...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PageMaster posted:

Ordered a new retrofit patio door, and oops, measured poorly. Fortunately(?) It's too small, but not sure what my options are. Door installer said they could make it work buy I'm not so sure:

Header/studs are all fine, just wondering if I have any options or can throw plywood shims in the space, fill with expanding foam and resize trim or need to eat the cost of a new door...

isn't shim + foam very common? i dunno much about doors but i thought that's just how it's done.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PageMaster posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about because that fit looks pretty good. Get the door and window specific foam, and trim it out and you're done.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

H110Hawk posted:

Title insurance: no.

Quarterly vs monthly - pick your battles. Assuming this is just $dues/12 instead of $dues/4.

I would let this go.

If this is ($dues/4)*12 then obviously :killing:

It’s $45*4 vs $45*12 and I’m broke as poo poo. I’m trying the title insurance since I read the policy and it mentions incorrect liens from HOAs as covered. That’s what’ll happen if the HOA management company keeps trying to ignore the contracts I signed.

My paperwork that I signed at closing says $45 a quarter.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 25, 2021

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
In today's journey of home ownership, the pressure switch nipple on my main well line coming into the house snapped clean off because it got bumped and started just dumping water all over the basement. Luckily the person who bumped it was a plumber who was here replacing my water treatment setup and they had the parts to fix it, so small miracles?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I doors might be fine then? I always thought of shims for use with maybe 1/8" spacing, 1/2 to 1 inch spacing seems a little too far too far (not sure what is happening in the left):

Thinking more I guess if there's actual wood between the jamb and the studs where the door frame is screwed in and the nails extend far enough into the studs and header it might be ok. I figured ideally I would make the frame smaller to closer for the door, but I have to admit the door is not moving at all.

Edit: I guess we didn't measure, wife finally told me door contractor did, not her, which is probably why they were ready to do me a solid and make it work and makes me relieved and angry.

Now I need to see if the exterior measurements were at least right so it at least overlaps the exterior siding correctly.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 25, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Senor P. posted:

Can you get a few photos of this valve?
What makes you sure this valve is for the whole neighborhood and not your location?

If you can make a rough map of the other valves in your neighborhood, you can probably get a pretty quick idea for where the main line is and where are the branch lines are.

If there is a round cap that says "GAS" and its in the middle of the street, chances are it is for the neighborhood.
If it is pretty close to your property, it is probably yours.
Side walk? It depends...

The valve that passed is the one I posted earlier in the thread, not the street side valve. Street side valve is at the curb, and totally separate.

This is the valve that passed.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

wolfs posted:

It’s $45*4 vs $45*12 and I’m broke as poo poo. I’m trying the title insurance since I read the policy and it mentions incorrect liens from HOAs as covered. That’s what’ll happen if the HOA management company keeps trying to ignore the contracts I signed.

My paperwork that I signed at closing says $45 a quarter.

The paperwork you signed at closing might be wrong.

Review the HOA CC&Rs, bylaws, etc. and find out what those say. Those control, not the closing contracts. To clarify, you didn't sign a contract with the HOA; the HOA gains its authority by having covenants attached to the deed/property. You're bound to them simply by virtue of owning the property, no additional contracts are necessary.

If your closing paperwork was wrong, then someone is going to get their rear end chewed/sued, but at the end of the day you still owe the HOA dues.

If the title company is a dead end, now might be the time to call some real estate attorneys and see what they say. Usually cheap to chat for a bit and figure out if it's worth pursuing, but it'll probably cost a few hundred to review paperwork and figure out what the actual dues are supposed to be. You'd want to provide all your closing paperwork, title insurance policy, and all the HOA documentation you can find. Note: those HOA liens can turn in to foreclosure. Don't let it get that far.

There are a few possibilities. Could be that the paperwork was wrong, could be that the PO lied on disclosures, could be that the HOA is scummy and trying to screw you. Also could be that the management company is loving stupid and screwing up.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 25, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

Your door fits your rough opening better than my new door did. Couple shims and some foam and you'll cover it up with trim and never see it again. Assuming the door opens and closes smoothly, you're fine

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Since I will hopefully soon graduate to here from the House-buying thread: Anyone have any recommendations for borescopes?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Here is a door frame I adjusted last year. You could see daylight through the closed door before, it was so far out. The final gap between framing and frame was 3/8-1/2". It's secured by screws through those shims. I reused the trim that was there before and you can't tell I was even in there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

umbrage posted:

Since I will hopefully soon graduate to here from the House-buying thread: Anyone have any recommendations for borescopes?

I have this one and it worked for my purposes (looking into my floor to see if any (more) floor trusses were installed upside down) but I'm not sure I'd really recommend it, like the picture wasn't particularly good. My guess is they're kind of all pieces of poo poo though unless you spend a bunch of money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

umbrage posted:

How much are you willing to spend, because the actual good ones are 3d printer money territory.

https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Camera-Duct-Waterproof-IP68-Pipeline-Inspection/dp/B07QQX9DR3

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

umbrage posted:

Snag a few with free returns and just expect to have to drop most or all of them off at a ups store or something.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

bird with big dick posted:

I have this one and it worked for my purposes (looking into my floor to see if any (more) floor trusses were installed upside down) but I'm not sure I'd really recommend it, like the picture wasn't particularly good. My guess is they're kind of all pieces of poo poo though unless you spend a bunch of money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this same one (or some variant).

It's kinda cruddy and stupid to use/set up. But it works well enough, and for the price I don't think you're going to do much better.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The valve that passed is the one I posted earlier in the thread, not the street side valve. Street side valve is at the curb, and totally separate.

This is the valve that passed.

There is a 0% chance that valve controls anything but your house. Gas runs to neighborhoods in like 6 inch and up pipes, that tiny 1 inch pipe is all yours. Is there a furnance or stove nearby (possibly above?) it?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Today’s adventures in home ownership:

Landscaping company who did my rear artificial grass but destroyed my real grass in doing so finally get back to me about replacing the real grass with desert scape after 4 weeks and have to go back and forth as the contract contains stuff about the rear grass that is not relevant.

Solar installer only got it half done on Tuesday and are coming back tomorrow to finish it, and relocate all fuse box and switches that they ran a conduit around half the house. It is touted right along the front that looks dumb as gently caress and I had the owner comes around and takes one look and drops an f bomb.

Irrigation system for the back wasn’t working, take a look at the box and the station for it wasn’t screwed in correctly. Now my trees are getting water.

Trying to find an electrician to put a 240v outlet in the garage for my plasma cutter and welder and of course it is not worth their time to do it :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Solar installer only got it half done on Tuesday and are coming back tomorrow to finish it, and relocate all fuse box and switches that they ran a conduit around half the house. It is touted right along the front that looks dumb as gently caress and I had the owner comes around and takes one look and drops an f bomb.

Trying to find an electrician to put a 240v outlet in the garage for my plasma cutter and welder and of course it is not worth their time to do it :v:

See if your solar installer will do it. Call it a car charger outlet, not a plasma cutter outlet. 50a or bust. They are doing far more high tech work and already on site and have a permit open. Call the city to see if you can just add the outlet to the permit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Managed to make it through the last day of the week without anything else in my house breaking. It's also been absolutely pouring all day and I've confirmed that I definitely do not have a roof leak. :toot:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So imma move my bullshit over here since we closed on this two days ago. I'm currently at the house for the weekend with a punchlist from the inspection, and some other basic to-dos, and prepping part of the house for contractors starting on Monday.

First thing I wanted to do was just swap out all the bulbs for LED's, because I noted when we visited the house numerous times during the due diligence period that most of the bulbs were incandescent.

You may note from looking at the listing pictures that the house has a lot of chandeliers, which take e12 bulbs. I grabbed 8 3-packs, thinking surely 24 bulbs would be enough.

There are 54 e12 bulbs in the house.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Congrats! Hope you weren't planning on converting to Hue bulbs in the future..

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

PageMaster posted:

Congrats! Hope you weren't planning on converting to Hue bulbs in the future..

I want exactly zero IOT objects in my home.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GEMorris posted:

So imma move my bullshit over here since we closed on this two days ago. I'm currently at the house for the weekend with a punchlist from the inspection, and some other basic to-dos, and prepping part of the house for contractors starting on Monday.

First thing I wanted to do was just swap out all the bulbs for LED's, because I noted when we visited the house numerous times during the due diligence period that most of the bulbs were incandescent.

You may note from looking at the listing pictures that the house has a lot of chandeliers, which take e12 bulbs. I grabbed 8 3-packs, thinking surely 24 bulbs would be enough.

Well, gently caress. Here I was thinking I found a nice house and here you go posting a small library with a fireplace and all kinds of other nice stuff in a brick house I'd do terrible things for.

Congrats! Homes similar to that where I live are hilariously fuckoff listed at 2 million plus.

Edit: they come with a couple dozen acres, too, tbf.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Well, gently caress. Here I was thinking I found a nice house and here you go posting a small library with a fireplace and all kinds of other nice stuff in a brick house I'd do terrible things for.

Congrats! Homes similar to that where I live are hilariously fuckoff listed at 2 million plus.

Edit: they come with a couple dozen acres, too, tbf.

Well, Greensboro isn't a tech hub, and buying this house pretty certainly locks me into remote work forever (I was remote pre-covid). But yes, even in Raleigh this thing would be 1.2+ million. It needs some care and updates (mostly kitchen, bathroom, and basement.)

With updates I think it would appraise for 750+ here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Which ones did you go with? My inlaws have a probably 20 bulb chandelier above their dining room table that is the primary light source for the room. It's all traditional incandescent because nothing LED ever seemed like it wouldn't be hideously ugly. The entire bulb more or less is exposed so a big ballast at the bottom isn't going to fly with them. Outside of some fans with integrated tiny zillion watt bulbs I think they are the last resistance based lighting in their house. It's got to be several hundred watts at full bore.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

Which ones did you go with? My inlaws have a probably 20 bulb chandelier above their dining room table that is the primary light source for the room. It's all traditional incandescent because nothing LED ever seemed like it wouldn't be hideously ugly. The entire bulb more or less is exposed so a big ballast at the bottom isn't going to fly with them. Outside of some fans with integrated tiny zillion watt bulbs I think they are the last resistance based lighting in their house. It's got to be several hundred watts at full bore.

Costco sells LED chandelier bulbs in like a 6 pack that have no visible ballast. I have 8 of them in service in my dining room chandelier and another 8 in the bedroom chandelier and they're going great 3-5 years in.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Ecosmart brand e12's have no noticable ballast, but the ones I have are all going back (had to uninstall them) because I noticed they are 3000k, not the 2700k i ordered.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Turns out my security system including smoke detectors is still active and testing it called the fire department. Wooo!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GEMorris posted:

Turns out my security system including smoke detectors is still active and testing it called the fire department. Wooo!

Hey! This thread is for complaining about things that DON'T work.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Perhaps this is a good place to ask - is there a thread somewhere about emergency preparedness? I've been looking around where I thought it might be and haven't found it, not sure if incompetent forum browsing on my part or it doesn't exist.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

marchantia posted:

Perhaps this is a good place to ask - is there a thread somewhere about emergency preparedness? I've been looking around where I thought it might be and haven't found it, not sure if incompetent forum browsing on my part or it doesn't exist.

Go ask in TFR's general thread, someone there will point you in the right direction. IIRC there was a thread there that fell into archives, it probably still has a lot of relevant stuff. Even if there isn't, there are a solid handful of TFR goons who are big on disaster prep and remind everyone to buy water at the beginning of hurricane season, not the weekend before a cat 5 monster fucks your coast.

And, despite being in the gun forum, the disaster prep folks over there will be the first to say that a gun isn't necessary or even something you should be thinking about until literally everything else is finished. Can't shoot a hurricane, can't drink bullets, etc. So even if your not the sort to lurk a gun forum a bunch, the people over there are good about accepting "yeah, this person isn't interested in guns, let's tell them what's good for a first aid kit."

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
TGO has a bug out bag thread, which covers a bunch of preparedness stuff too.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, gonna guess local government might be a better resource than prepper goons. For example

https://www.muni.org/Departments/OEM/Prepared/Pages/default.aspx

Its gonna be somewhat local, for example earthquake vs tornado