Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

Diesel's promos were awful and he famously had like 7 moves (Squisher included).

He wasn't a financial success for the company but as a kid I still loved him and imagine others did as well.

Royal Rumble '94 where Diesel comes out and clears the ring was great
Survivor Series '94 where after almost 20 minutes of no eliminations, Diesel tags in for the first time and proceeds to eliminate 4 guys in 3 minutes was incredible.
Then, 2 days later he wins the WWF Title in 8 seconds.

Then Vince books him as a fiery babyface who has to overcome the odds, instead of the wrecking machine he had been booked as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

Survivor Series '94 where after almost 20 minutes of no eliminations, Diesel tags in for the first time and proceeds to eliminate 4 guys in 3 minutes was incredible.

Then Vince books him as a fiery babyface who has to overcome the odds, instead of the wrecking machine he had been booked as.

Yeah, as a heel who people organically started to like he ruled. That forced babyface run was miserable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I also don't think Chyna was THAT terrible in the ring, and seeing as even Jericho basically admits to not giving a poo poo about their matches or putting any effort into them in his book, I'm gonna say at least part of the blame for her matches not being great was most likely poo poo like that from her co workers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ill never really understand why they had a dumb finish to the Good Housekeeping match. jarrett was heading out the door on bad terms with Vince, just have chyna beat his rear end and win

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, as a heel who people organically started to like he ruled. That forced babyface run was miserable.

Even funnier after the forced Diesel face turn failed they end up doing the same with Shawn too!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

ill never really understand why they had a dumb finish to the Good Housekeeping match. jarrett was heading out the door on bad terms with Vince, just have chyna beat his rear end and win

It's as big a headscratcher as "why did they give Chyna an 'emotionally abused by manipulative boyfriend' angle at the exact same time as her Playboy issue launching?"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CVagts posted:

It's as big a headscratcher as "why did they give Chyna an 'emotionally abused by manipulative boyfriend' angle at the exact same time as her Playboy issue launching?"
i think that one’s easier to explain tbh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

jesus WEP posted:

i think that one’s easier to explain tbh

I think the implication is they both have one possible easy answer.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even funnier after the forced Diesel face turn failed they end up doing the same with Shawn too!
It's a classic case of changing who you are when you're going from heel to face. Another good example is The Miz's first face run.

Austin's face-turn was probably the first successful one in that it was 100% organic and he never changed who he was at all.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
https://twitter.com/IandrewDiceClay/status/1408756543827369988?s=20

That popped me, off to listen to the podcast.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Is there a better example of a wrestler getting hugely over despite being horrible in the ring and on the mic? Warrior I guess, depending on how you feel about the insane coked out promos

Sable during the early Attitude era, and as fun as he is, Sid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1408905762613628931?s=19

After seeing this I'm going to become one of those weirdo WWE die hards.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anthony Ogogo thinks you're a pissboy :colbert:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CVagts posted:

Wasn't this also the case with Torrie Wilson? Wasn't the kayfabe that she did Playboy to piss off her emotionally abusive (possibly ex-)boyfriend?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I may be misremembering things but the vast majority of Playboy angles really boiled down to "other women are jealous because they're not in Playboy"

1999 - Sable appears in Playboy, turns heel by "going Hollywood" and bringing in Nicole Bass as her bodyguard.
2000 - Chyna appears in Playboy. There was some skits showing her kayfabe boyfriend Eddie Guerrero upset about it, but they revealed he was sleeping around and she dumped him before the issue actually came out. She mostly feuded with Right to Censor about the magazine.
2003 - Torrie Wilson appears in Playboy, which makes Nidia and Jamie Noble jealous because they think Nidia should have been in Playboy. A returning Sable is also jealous that Wilson appeared in Playboy, which leads to Torrie and Sable making out. Eventually Billy Gunn pairs up with Torrie for mixed tag matches with Nidia/Noble, which ends with them having a foursome in a motel room, turning Nidia/Noble babyface.
2004 - Sable & Torrie Wilson appear together in Playboy. This time they feud with Stacey Kiebler and Jackie Gayda, who are jealous that they didn't get to be in Playboy.
2005 - Christy Hemme appears in Playboy, and in a twist feuds with Trish Stratus because Stratus calls her a slut and a bad person for appearing in Playboy. Victoria later feuds with Christy because she is jealous she didn't get to be in Playboy.
2006 - Candice Michelle appears in Playboy, and fellow Playboy model Torrie Wilson is supportive of Candice's decision. However, Candice (and Victoria) turn heel on Torrie for trying to hog the spotlight and Candice wants to make sure Torrie can't be in Playboy again.
2007 - Ashley Massaro appears in Playboy, has a feud with Jillian Hall who is jealous because she wanted to be in Playboy.
2008 - Maria Kanelis is kayfabe dating Santino as a heel couple, when Ashley returns from injury. Maria wants to be the next Playboy model and Santino is not into that, though he helps her beat Beth Phoenix in a Winner Gets to Be in Playboy match. Eventually Maria turns face by dumping Santino and affirming that she will appear in Playboy, leading to the Santino/Beth Phoenix heel pairing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I may also be misremembering, but hasn't it come out in at least a couple of interviews that some of the women who played the part of "I'm jealous that I didn't get to be in Playboy!" were ones who explicitly turned it down when asked and this was their punishment from WWE? I'm fairly certain at least Stacey Kiebler said there was a lot of pressure on her from higher up to do it?

Because, yeah, gently caress WWE.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

I may also be misremembering, but hasn't it come out in at least a couple of interviews that some of the women who played the part of "I'm jealous that I didn't get to be in Playboy!" were ones who explicitly turned it down when asked and this was their punishment from WWE? I'm fairly certain at least Stacey Kiebler said there was a lot of pressure on her from higher up to do it?

You late posted after E&C's breakdown, a lot of women who turned down Playboy had to job to the women who did it and I'm sure it was punishment for turning it down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My post was in response to that!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain at least Stacey Kiebler said there was a lot of pressure on her from higher up to do it?

They still got her to do Maxim as a compromise, which is pretty gross.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

They still got her to do Maxim as a compromise, which is pretty gross.

WWE put out their own swimsuit and lingerie mags for awhile

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Women should only feud over spilt coffee.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jerusalem posted:

Trish Stratus tells the story of how Playboy would come to her at least once a year, sometimes two or three times during her WWE tenure to offer her a spot in the magazine and she always turned them down.

I don't remember her getting punished for that though. But it would be a very WWE thing to do.

Davros1 posted:

From a while back, but some of Diesel/Kevin Nash's best "clearing house" moments were in WCW's World War 3 where he just yeeted out everyone in his ring and stood there alone, waiting for the other two rings to clear. It was an awesome visual that made him look like such a badarse.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

BrigadierSensible posted:

Trish Stratus tells the story of how Playboy would come to her at least once a year, sometimes two or three times during her WWE tenure to offer her a spot in the magazine and she always turned them down.

I don't remember her getting punished for that though. But it would be a very WWE thing to do.
"BARK LIKE A DOG"

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

"BARK LIKE A DOG"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's kind of incredible anybody comes back to WWE. I guess nobody wants the "Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior " treatment.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Why. Just why?

https://twitter.com/thelogancreed/status/1409047752852525060?s=21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Woo-hoo-hoo poo poo

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jeff Jones, please work to be better

https://twitter.com/aew/status/1409124362217787395?s=21

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ref held that ladder wrong!

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/wrestlingnewsco/status/1409181138187440129?s=21

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
post your smooth vinnies now

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He looks like Elon

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

deleted already - what was it?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Malcolm Excellent posted:

deleted already - what was it?

Promo for next show, but the image was just a the first frame a match graphic video that was just zoomed in on elbows.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AriyaDaivariWWE/status/1409209367392505863

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vince looks so happy getting his picture with Dave Chappelle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I see Steph pumped the gals up to starfucker mode.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

coconono posted:

I see Steph pumped the gals up to starfucker mode.

its hard to tell but on close inspection Im pretty sure that is not her cleavage

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ringo Roadagain posted:

its hard to tell but on close inspection Im pretty sure that is not her cleavage

I don't think that's vince mcmahon either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://twitter.com/EvilUno/status/1409301218283986944?s=19