Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Sydal vs Martin 5 4.55%
Bunny vs Statlander 8 7.27%
Ego vs Bear 2 1.82%
Hangman vs Powerhouse 10 9.09%
Omega vs Boy 85 77.27%
Total: 110 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MassRafTer posted:

I think he's going to challenge Miro instead (and lose.) They keep having him duck questions when asked about Kenny.

And then he gets his life together and challenges Kenny at All Out or in NYC.

Miro is going to challenge him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Miro is going to challenge him.

He should, Hangman is probably a #atheist.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You have Kenny lose to Hangman at All Out and you want a babyface going over at the first PPV with a crowd (outside of Jacksonville) and than you do Bucks/PnP with PnP winning at Queens. Newark is the big question mark for what they could build (Maybe Miro/Silver?)

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 28, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You have Kenny lose to Hangman at All Out ad you want a babyface going over at the first PPV with a crowd (outside of Jacksonville) and than you do Bucks/PnP with PnP winning at Queens. Newark is the b8g question mark for what they could build (Maybe Miro/Silver?)

If you are holding off Miro/Silver until fall you've gotta wait until Rochester.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Miro is so good, like it took time for them to figure out his character but they settled on something utterly brilliant.

I think this was intentional because:
1) Miro's debut was obviously gonna babyface him and even though he was kind of a dorky heel he was a more likeable character when he was new and people wanted to like him
2) This Miro character really only works if he's a dominant heel monster and they weren't ready to slot him into the card in that way when Darby's reign needed to stay strong

In a weird way, I think Miro having this doofy gamer friend character for a while after his debut was smart, both due to contrast and to keep him from coming across as a Lance Archer, someone who's supposed to be a monster in storyline but who's in-ring results wouldn't have matched up at the time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I hope Miro eventually battles some type of Dark Lord or Litch type figure, as he is gods chosen champion or whatever.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

This is the correct assessment of Eddie Kingson’s promo last night:
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1409311573684989952?s=21

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i do very much enjoy the realization that its not that the old wwe discussion threads used to go to poo poo just because it was wwe, the threads used to go to poo poo because it was the popular/only wrestling people watched back then

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hey

dynamite last night was really good

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm hoping they do Christian vs Omega at Fyter Fest Night 2 in Garland. Because it will be a great juxtaposition to Edge vs Reigns a few nights before in the same metro.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like the progression of Miro in AEW. Shows up as this goofy dude and you're hahaha lookit the big funny. Then he straight up stone face hurts a dude. Then he enslaves another dude. Now you're like I don't think this dude is ok. After he fucks up Kip, you're definitely oh no this dude is hosed up. Now he's running around proclaiming himself God's Chosen and its a totally normal thing for him.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Seams posted:

I was worried the AEW thread wouldn’t get to its usual levels of insanity this week because it’s only three days until the next show but you guys pulled through.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I keep typing THATB but nothing is changing.

On a different note

Mr. Squishy posted:

I kinda worry for Kenny, I think he may need some R&R pretty badly to avoid an early retirement. Like there's lots of narratives that would be fun but he seems to be tearing himself apart out there.

Kenny's been busted up like forever, and it's probably not going to change anything. This is the same guy who did a whole G1 with a broken heel. He's in that Tanahashi vein of not wanting to rest until his body completely falls apart, and maybe not even then. He's not like normal people.

Still, he's 37. I bet he'll slow down and get some rest in like, five years or so

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Yeah it was cool to have a guy go from a kind of goofy jerk to an absolute killer. Gives his character a little more bite because we've seen him transform and he's been very entertaining the whole time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

This is the correct assessment of Eddie Kingson’s promo last night:
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1409311573684989952?s=21

I just watched it, man he's so great :unsmith:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

coconono posted:

I like the progression of Miro in AEW. Shows up as this goofy dude and you're hahaha lookit the big funny. Then he straight up stone face hurts a dude. Then he enslaves another dude. Now you're like I don't think this dude is ok. After he fucks up Kip, you're definitely oh no this dude is hosed up. Now he's running around proclaiming himself God's Chosen and its a totally normal thing for him.

The one thing I hope is that he doesn't go too stuck on the religious angle. Not that I personally mind it or have any religious ties, but I liked what he was doing when he was just weirdly broken and maniacal. I feel like going 100% Jesus zealot loses some of the nuance he was doing before. But its a fun thing to let him play around with creatively and he's been killing it with the promos, so I'm happy to see what he does with it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thank you Jesus for making me strong and my hot wife flexible is still more ego maniac than an actual religious thing. It's just so insanely absurd.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Forceholy posted:

One of the Wrestling tropes I will mark for is stable leaders still being able to wrestle and win even without their chickenshit antics.

I'll be pointless nit picking here: only if the heel hasn't already being established as unable to beat that person clean.

Like it made no sense that time when after months of Seth only retaining against Ambrose from interference from J&J security and Kane that the authority told him "go win clean on your own this time"......and he did.

Coaaab posted:

it's very good

Second nitpick, I hope that they push the button on Hangman and Omega soon, namely having JR or similar call him out on avoiding the topic. This is partly because it bugs me that commentary aren't mentioning that he's avoiding the question of Kenny.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Miro: *extremely soft and threatening* mah wiiife

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I'm trying to enter the coupon code for less bad posts but I'm being told it's expired.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
https://twitter.com/MattyIrishEdits/status/1409158101668970496

https://twitter.com/MattyIrishEdits/status/1409284374005178370

Open arenas aren't all bad

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

StarkRavingMad posted:

Kenny's been busted up like forever, and it's probably not going to change anything. This is the same guy who did a whole G1 with a broken heel. He's in that Tanahashi vein of not wanting to rest until his body completely falls apart, and maybe not even then. He's not like normal people.

Still, he's 37. I bet he'll slow down and get some rest in like, five years or so
I kinda wonder if his accumulated injuries would lead him to end his career like an Austin

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I honestly think the best thing to do with Page is build him a bit more, put him on the cusp of challenging for the World title, then have something happen with the Dark Order that forces him to make a decision: Go for the Gold, or stand with and help those who've unwaveringly had his back. When it comes time to decide, have him choose his friends. Then once he's successfully dealt with that, and Kenny's forgotten all about him, then have Page come out and say "It's on."

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Wazzu posted:

Second nitpick, I hope that they push the button on Hangman and Omega soon, namely having JR or similar call him out on avoiding the topic. This is partly because it bugs me that commentary aren't mentioning that he's avoiding the question of Kenny.

I don't remember if commentary has mentioned it, but Marvez definitely called it out in a backstage segment interview with Page, maybe a week or two ago?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Coaaab posted:

I kinda wonder if his accumulated injuries would lead him to end his career like an Austin

Austin was what, 33 when Owen broke his neck? thats what shortened Austin's career, I doubt he would've retired before 40 if he hadn't, for better or for worse wrestlers just like, dont usually retire at that age. im sure kenny is banged up and im sure after the belt collector angle dies down he'll let off the gas a little, but unless Kenny suffers some catastrophic injury in the next year I couldn't imagine him retiring around when Austin did.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mediums for heeling never thought possible

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Thank you Jesus for making me strong and my hot wife flexible is still more ego maniac than an actual religious thing. It's just so insanely absurd.

Yeah the religious part is sort of a shading. It’s part of his being very calm and understanding while he puts you in the hospital.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Shotzi was always good

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I hope Miro eventually battles some type of Dark Lord or Litch type figure, as he is gods chosen champion or whatever.
I don't think they'll book Miro/Abadon.

StarkRavingMad posted:

He already has slowed down. His schedule for the past couple years is WAY lighter than Japan. He works 1-5 matches a month now, he used to do 15+. For contrast, Tanahashi's 44 and still works that many matches.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like Jericho has been exactly this way for forever, so his comment doesn't surprise me. I highly doubt it ever turns into anything.

I was just listening to a podcast where it mentioned Jericho going to his website to complain about fans who disparaged a match that he and RVD had, and then swearing that he was done with the internet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Rarity posted:

Is PB Smooth named after peanut butter?

PB is for Pretty Boy, I think. I cant remember since it's been a while since I've watched AIW.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I was just listening to a podcast where it mentioned Jericho going to his website to complain about fans who disparaged a match that he and RVD had, and then swearing that he was done with the internet.

Hi fellow Solomonster listener! Yeah that was a funny bit. If anyone wants to listen to it, it starts 1 hour 40 mins in and is about six mins long here https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-pnren-1074cc4

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder how long it would take for Kenny to heal up from his various injuries. A lot of babyfaces could possibly take the belt from Omega: Hangman, JB, Kingston, etc that his absence might not be missed. I rather have a 100% healthy Kenny for future matches than an injured Kenny going out there with the potential of aggravating his injuries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xbilkis posted:

He actively avoids challenging Kenny, which is not a good look for your top young babyface.

This is already what's happening though and I don't think they're going to lose the crowd on this because it's not just them refusing to pull the trigger. There are very clear human reasons behind Hangman ducking Kenny which we all understand and empathise with. Hangman's not going to go after Kenny without some big emotional catalyst (probably the Elite destroying Dark Order making him too pissed off to care) cause if he just suddenly decided he was ok to fight Kenny then it wouldn't feel earned. His journey to the top is just as much about beating his own demons as it is beating Kenny.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Stu and Uno could get a title shot before the Bucks drop, and the Elite not only screws them out of the win but completely annihilated them post match. Kenny is hanging out draped in belts and decides he wants someone to kiss the gold, but hey, first thing first, get rid of that hideous mask!

The Bucks yank Uno's mask and Kenny whallops him with all 4 belts. Hangman is unreachable semi passed out in a bar while it goes down

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hangman eats a bunch of Slim Jims and gains all sorts of insane powers. He powerbombs Kenny into a jacuzzi full of carbonated bourbon and wins the belt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PB Smooth has to be a play on JB Smoove right? Or did we already come to that conclusion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that Saturady night ep was great, best one in aaaaages

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Really liked the episode but still big mad at the production for missing that great spinebuster. I also really like where the Pinnacle and Inner Circle are at right now. Individual members/teams within factions having their own feuds and storylines is something I think AEW should do a little more. I'm super excited about FTR vs PnP. PnP need to be the next team to win the titles and I've already decided to be irrationally annoyed if it doesn't happen. I also think they should elevate a young up and coming tag team by having them beat the poo poo out of the Good Brothers in some sort of "loser can't do run-ins anymore" stipulation match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Rarity posted:

This is already what's happening though and I don't think they're going to lose the crowd on this because it's not just them refusing to pull the trigger. There are very clear human reasons behind Hangman ducking Kenny which we all understand and empathise with. Hangman's not going to go after Kenny without some big emotional catalyst (probably the Elite destroying Dark Order making him too pissed off to care) cause if he just suddenly decided he was ok to fight Kenny then it wouldn't feel earned. His journey to the top is just as much about beating his own demons as it is beating Kenny.

I meant “avoids challenging Kenny” in the sense of actively passing on a match when he’s in line for a title shot, which would be required if he rises to No. 1 and doesn’t lose before the PPV.

Obviously there’s a solid amount of track left to lay before you get to “Hangman confidently steps into the ring against Kenny,” but there’s plenty of room to do the anxious self-doubt stuff without rising to the level of opting out of an opportunity at the top belt in the company