Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Luckily about 40 of those were about horse loving though.

Not something I'd ever write, let alone be happy about.

Mike Pence account spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Drop the “your kid was wrong on the internet” slapfight. There’s nothing worse than seeing 70+ new posts in this thread because it almost always means people starting swinging at each other.
I hope this isn't seen as revisiting an argument, because I really think it's a seperate point: does there being LGBT people on the writing team of Q-Force make that any better? The trailer still portrays gay men as not being interested in anything that isn't another man's butt. If you showed me a minute of a show about black spies that was entirely them talking about how they love fried chicken, I wouldn't say that was ok because Christ Tucker was one of the writers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sunswipe posted:

I hope this isn't seen as revisiting an argument, because I really think it's a seperate point: does there being LGBT people on the writing team of Q-Force make that any better? The trailer still portrays gay men as not being interested in anything that isn't another man's butt. If you showed me a minute of a show about black spies that was entirely them talking about how they love fried chicken, I wouldn't say that was ok because Christ Tucker was one of the writers.

Someone who worked on the show said it was a terrible trailer that misrepresented the show, they may or may not be telling the truth. Even if the show was really good, it'd be kinda hosed up to make a show like that in 2021 without hiring any LGBTQ+ people though, so it does matter in that sense. And even if it is terrible, I think it's good to know minorities are equally capable of making bad television.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Not necessarily better, but the issue is of a different nature.
It’s straight people stereotyping lgbt people for entertainment vs lgbt people presenting themselves in a stereotypical manner for entertainment.

It’s been said in this thread that the trailer is actually not at all representative of the series - which seems to be in fact made by lgbt folks. So I think we’re gonna have to see the show for ourselves to make any kind of judgement

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

canyoneer posted:

Explains why per-capita alcohol consumption was much higher then

That one is on me actually. I've stopped drinking which is skewing the averages back the other way now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

As long as you’re not continuing the slapfight you can still talk about the show, or better yet, find funny bad takes about the show on social media.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1408879318621515776

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1408175245496815620

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Such Fun posted:

Some people have war in their country

We're not stopping for war, we have war at home

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I think a lot of ancient paganism was revering gods not because they were worthy of it, but because if you didn't you got hosed with.
I know this is a pretty "high school atheist" type thing to say, but honestly religion would make a lot more sense to me if gods were fallible, not omniscient, etc.
Like Christianity and Judaism have struggled since their inception with questions like "whence cometh evil" and "why worship such a being" but with flawed deities it's way simpler. Evil comes from the fact that they kinda suck at this, and you worship them because if you don't they'll turn you inside out. You definitely feel less reverence but a whole lot of existential questions would get answered right quick.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

flavor.flv posted:

We do have a single, unified source for all our modern understanding of Norse mythology in the form of the Eddas, unfortunately they are a thousand miles and several centuries removed from their origins

It's also something like a Christian handbook for Norse mythology, with some aspects of "silly heathens, they weren't gods, they were just Greek warriors with cool spears or whatever" and also no real attempts to separate "story you tell kids to scare them silent" from "a thing people actually believed".

Greek mythology has similar issues.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

That’s all real loving stupid poo poo,but you have to be in excellent shape to do that real loving stupid poo poo.
Incidentally, the last bit where he gallops on all fours, I dream of running like that at least once a week. I didn’t think it was possible, but I guess I have a real loving stupid dream to follow

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vib Rib posted:

I know this is a pretty "high school atheist" type thing to say, but honestly religion would make a lot more sense to me if gods were fallible, not omniscient, etc.
Like Christianity and Judaism have struggled since their inception with questions like "whence cometh evil" and "why worship such a being" but with flawed deities it's way simpler. Evil comes from the fact that they kinda suck at this, and you worship them because if you don't they'll turn you inside out. You definitely feel less reverence but a whole lot of existential questions would get answered right quick.

I mean historically the more monotheistic infallible gods has been what even pagan religions were pushing towards as well.

I think people use the results to judge what happen but Christianity wasn’t the only of these types of religions to gain traction. It won in the end but it wasn’t alone

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Such Fun posted:

That’s all real loving stupid poo poo,but you have to be in excellent shape to do that real loving stupid poo poo.
Incidentally, the last bit where he gallops on all fours, I dream of running like that at least once a week. I didn’t think it was possible, but I guess I have a real loving stupid dream to follow

galloping on all fours is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. well, uh, the "technique" is easy - the process itself is physically-demanding and kinda hard to do for any extent of time if you're not in good shape. it's pretty good exercise, actually

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Religion, divinity, godhood, it is in principle all supernatural. It is beyond explaining, understanding, or knowing. Trying to do so anyway is missing the point. Because it’s all made up, but serves an actual function.

From what you describe, you look for an explanation from the divine. The divine is a certain way, and therefore reality is the same way. This generally falls in line with ancient paganism.

In Abrahamic religions the function of god is purpose in life.

I don’t actually know enough about the Vedic religions to describe their function

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Such Fun posted:

I did that up the stairs between ages 8 and 14.

Then Wolverine stole it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Before you get tall enough for stairs to fit you properly it’s 100% the best stair climbing method.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Talking about unified mythologies is kinda useless anyway. We kludge them into a single pop culture narrative called "greek mythology" or "norse mythology" or whatever but these are beliefs that span a vast gulf of space and time and were never unified. Athens and Sparta in the classical period had different beliefs, forget comparing the gods of Homer to the gods of the Seleukid Empire. And like, for example, not only is Jupiter not just "the roman name for Zeus", he's not even one single god.

The worst offender is "egyptian mythology" though. You're talking about a worldview spanning from like 3000+ BCE to the rise of Islam. The first egyptologists were Middle Kingdom egyptians investigating Old Kingdom sites. There is not even close to such a thing as a concise egyptian mythology where you have DnD style god of this and god of that and this god is the main god and so on.
A modern equivalent would probably be Hinduism. Even the etymology of the name is someone throwing up their hands and going "uh, everything past the Indus River." Thousands of years of different beliefs and competing texts, all further influenced by whoever decided to sweep down through the Himalayas and add their beliefs to the pot.

Hindu myths are super cool, but it's hard to find a primer because there's really no official version. Even something like the Ramayana has different versions with different endings.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

I did that up the stairs between ages 8 and 14.

Then Wolverine stole it.

The bizarre thing is that I now know that this is actually possible, and I kinda have to try learn to learn it.
No. No, the bizarre thing is that there is apparently a whole bunch of people who have been doing this on the down low

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://youtu.be/pvhlWbnl_qM

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't understand the point of the dumbell lifts while dunking yourself in a pool

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe water resistance..? Idk but it looks refreshing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's hardcore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't understand the point of the dumbell lifts while dunking yourself in a pool

Having been outside today I think that’s the only way I could do them in this weather.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Having been outside today I think that’s the only way I could do them in this weather.

It's been so gross today

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/1408534838509027332

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1408535795246538752

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Even at the time, people complained that the common stories of the Olympians were bawdy and disrespectful to the gods. Imagine if the only record we had of Christianity was Family Guy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That’s the good stuff right there, thanks!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1409335503632187392?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'd say that on purpose just to annoy them lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ah, like looking over the shoulder of anybody drawing in public and saying "is that anime"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hahaha

https://twitter.com/Logylia/status/1408567433695313928

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Picnic Princess posted:

I'd say that on purpose just to annoy them lol

So would I.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And so we see the dark side of the goon

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Talking about unified mythologies is kinda useless anyway. We kludge them into a single pop culture narrative called "greek mythology" or "norse mythology" or whatever but these are beliefs that span a vast gulf of space and time and were never unified. Athens and Sparta in the classical period had different beliefs, forget comparing the gods of Homer to the gods of the Seleukid Empire. And like, for example, not only is Jupiter not just "the roman name for Zeus", he's not even one single god.

The worst offender is "egyptian mythology" though. You're talking about a worldview spanning from like 3000+ BCE to the rise of Islam. The first egyptologists were Middle Kingdom egyptians investigating Old Kingdom sites. There is not even close to such a thing as a concise egyptian mythology where you have DnD style god of this and god of that and this god is the main god and so on.

this video explains how nuts trying to jam all the lore from these places into one time line is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUq0pfAskU

Kind of interesting to see how the lore changes based on how the region changes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Let's just agree right now to solidify all this stuff going forward. Avengers will now be the canon source for Norse mythology, Stargate for Egyptian, and Greek mythology can use that roguelike game where they're all sexy as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Angband?