Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

dew points are just a bit too low to be a major contributor to this event. They're sitting in the mid to low 60s in Seattle. If they got up in the 70F range where heat index values start exploding, absolutely we would be in mass casualty event territory, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

People give dew point too much credit in situations like this. The best predictor of heat-related deaths is the high temperature. These areas are well outside their known climate extremes, there is going to be little relieve overnight, and it is going to be going for many days. There will be many injuries and many deaths. Someone earlier (or a different thread) mentioned that COVID may have already gotten some of these people, and I could see that being a factor, if we would ever actually know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Down in the Oregon LAN thread (i think that’s where I saw it) somebody who at least sounded like they knew what they were talking about seemed to think PGE is in pretty good shape to meet the demands

I haven’t experienced any brown outs or dimming or anything so far but I’m right in the middle of Portland so the grids probably super developed and redundant here

Oregon shouldn't have any issues with supplying demand but equipment distributing that power may have problems with the heat.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SirPablo posted:

People give dew point too much credit in situations like this. The best predictor of heat-related deaths is the high temperature. These areas are well outside their known climate extremes, there is going to be little relieve overnight, and it is going to be going for many days. There will be many injuries and many deaths. Someone earlier (or a different thread) mentioned that COVID may have already gotten some of these people, and I could see that being a factor, if we would ever actually know.

The low temperature going into tonight is the biggest concern that I have for the danger tomorrow. It should only briefly be under 75F tonight in Seattle given current forecasts. There's going to be very little overnight cooling going into tomorrow. That being said, I give dew point credit because very fine values start causing gigantic shifts in heat exposure risk once you get to around 70F, and it's also another huge factor in preventing things from cooling down overnight.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I got a quart and a half of frozen dairy-class dessert and my intention was to only eat what had melted in the journey and put the rest in the freezer

More than half the container has been consumed and there's still lots more melted portion and I'm starting to see a problem with trying this in a 93 degree room

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I would have put whipped topping on it but I ate the entire can of Reddi Wip for breakfast

They shouldn't let us get this stoned in this kind of heat, Seattle is not prepared for this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

if you live in GA/SC you will be having a rainy Mon/Tues from this

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1409284445807419396?s=21

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DoombatINC posted:

I got a quart and a half of frozen dairy-class dessert and my intention was to only eat what had melted in the journey and put the rest in the freezer

More than half the container has been consumed and there's still lots more melted portion and I'm starting to see a problem with trying this in a 93 degree room

This makes me wonder . . . how effective is eating/drinking cold items in cooling us down? I know typically we do most of it via sweating, but I'd think drinking a liter of cold water should sorta help too, right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I've definitely bought an angel food cake and a tub of cool whip before and promptly committed atrocities to my waistline while baked

Zarin posted:

This makes me wonder . . . how effective is eating/drinking cold items in cooling us down? I know typically we do most of it via sweating, but I'd think drinking a liter of cold water should sorta help too, right?

additional water intake helps you sweat more, which cools you down

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Zarin posted:

the arizona line of thinking is that it makes you feel worse. you drink a big gulp of icy water and your body suddenly wants to go thru all sorts of biological/mental processes to warm you up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hifi posted:

the arizona line of thinking is that it makes you feel worse. you drink a big gulp of icy water and your body suddenly wants to go thru all sorts of biological/mental processes to warm you up.

oh yeah don't drink cold water quickly on a hot day, your body will NOT be happy with you

small sips over time is much better. spread that heat transfer out.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Hot drinks and spicy foods are good when it's hot, as long as it's not too humid

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

hahahaha you're loving kidding, go gently caress yourself with this

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the weather system that kicked off this heat dome is still lurking out of view in the middle of the pacific instead of dissipating which means it's probably going to kick up another one next month. considering the usual warmest time of year in the PNW is late july/early august, hooo boy get ready for 120 F

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A good way to cool down is to run your wrists under cool water (as long as your taps are still providing cool water) and/or put a cool damp towel on your neck.
Alternatively have a cool shower or bath.
If it's really unbearable get to a building like a mall or cinema with aircon (I know covid complicates this unfortunately. A drive in an airconditioned car would work too.)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We might see tropical storms forming in the atlantic next week, I got a feeling we might get hurricanes not long after that but who knows.

Last week we had a morning here that was 40 degrees and now we are getting 90s that feel like 102

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Helith posted:

A good way to cool down is to run your wrists under cool water (as long as your taps are still providing cool water) and/or put a cool damp towel on your neck.
Alternatively have a cool shower or bath.
If it's really unbearable get to a building like a mall or cinema with aircon (I know covid complicates this unfortunately. A drive in an airconditioned car would work too.)

Yeah use the cold water on your cooling points rather than drinking it imho as long as you're otherwise hydrated

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Record. broken.

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1409320197584945161?s=20

only to be broken again tomorrow.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I feel for you guys in the pnw. We had one of these heat domes park itself over texas in either 2010 or 2011 and it was terrible. Austin was 110-115 for about 10 days straight and it was over 108 for a solid month. Plus we didn't see a drop of rain for 3 months.

I hope it pushes out but god don't send it here

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im still loling that a week ago all the weather people were looking at the models going "oh no this can't be right, the models must be malfunctioning"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thanking gently caress i have AC and my building has properly sealed windows

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

Im still loling that a week ago all the weather people were looking at the models going "oh no this can't be right, the models must be malfunctioning"

and then turns out the weather models actually undershot the real temperatures by a couple degrees in some areas

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I posted those maps any my friends went 'that won't happen, that model is an outlier. Just like we were supposed to get 18" of snow' but I actually got 18" of snow in February :newlol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

they did over estimate though, the models were predicting the 120 instead of 110.

that probably isn’t what residents of the PNW want to hear but that’s what weather people meant

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hobbesmaster posted:

they did over estimate though, the models were predicting the 120 instead of 110.

that probably isn’t what residents of the PNW want to hear but that’s what weather people meant

lol no. the tweet thread was literally like "I think this is reflecting off the water incorrectly or something because this is so off base it seems impossible, the highest temp ever recorded in that region was 103 and it says 110, that can't be right"

edit: sorry if that came off a little agro. I regretfully just had to go walk down the street to do a thing and my brain feels like it is melting

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Jun 28, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

it was predicting 130F in california's central valley

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1406022884976328713

might hit 107 this week there, now

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Today's wrap-up

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

doesn’t look that bad

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

doesn’t look that bad

, yet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Here was a good one from just 4 days ago. 116 tomorrow seems maybe unlikely but who knows. There's been some extremely localized hotspots (just like this winter when some neighborhoods got 18 inches of snow and some got 4 inches)

https://twitter.com/ScottSeattleWx/status/1407916680584470528?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Today's wrap-up

I’m the record low

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I hate this. The birds are panting. I lived through the heat bubble in Texas in 2011 and one of my reasons for moving up to the Seattle area was to avoid that kind of thing. gently caress me. :smith:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Strep Vote posted:

I hate this. The birds are panting. I lived through the heat bubble in Texas in 2011 and one of my reasons for moving up to the Seattle area was to avoid that kind of thing. gently caress me. :smith:

Lol

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i'll stay camped out by my inland freshwater seas, thankyouverymuch. i'm likely to be dead before the inevitable wars over their contents.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Koirhor posted:

I’m the record low

they sure could use some of that global warming right now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Where my cold domes at

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a.lo posted:

they sure could use some of that global warming right now

they can have ours, thanks

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Where my cold domes at

Sorry we're all out, we can give you a rain dome instead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Presto posted:

Audience, in unison: "How hot is it?"

We should probably call sears.

...oh wait

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I mean, those models did show like 128 in the north central CA valley which is not happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Presto posted:

Audience, in unison: "How hot is it?"

https://twitter.com/KSeattleWeather/status/1409318900852944896?s=20