Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mookie really needs to buy one of those wooden artist mannequins, or even one of the 18" Spiderman figures that a lot of comic artists use for anatomy reference. And then he needs to practice drawing it and other life drawings. And then practice that again. And again. And again. And again.

Instead, we're either seeing his direct traces, or freehand first attempts.

You'll know when he buys one of the wooden ones because Snout's head will suddenly erupt into a colossal chrome dome and all of his clothes will look like he's wearing a miniskirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

amigolupus posted:

It's similar to how Bee manhandled Snout to stop him from running toward the breakfast spread, or Daxethar flicking Snout's ears to get his attention. There are better ways to get a deaf person's attention, but Mookie chooses the ones that treat Snout in an ableist manner instead.

It was supposed to be Daxethar (weird-facial hair jerk orc)'s orcling assistant. What's confusing is that this supposedly unrelated orcling looks a lot like Veth, so it only highlights how much of this is a time-waster from Snout getting whatever info from Veth.

Wait, if this orkling isn't Veth or Bee, who is it? Some third guy who lives in the town where the library is? Is Daxethar sending word through him? How'd he know where Snout would be?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean that's pretty much it. It's a very posable spiderman figurine that got really popular a few years ago with comic artists and animators because it works better than the wooden mannequins for their purposes. I don't know if that exact model is still made, but you can find them on eBay and such.

I think it's this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SpiderMan-...4.m46890.l49286
Neat!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

Wait, if this orkling isn't Veth or Bee, who is it? Some third guy who lives in the town where the library is? Is Daxethar sending word through him? How'd he know where Snout would be?

"Hey, there's this weird guy, he'll probably be in the library, with a giant "DEAF" sign stitched to his overalls and he keeps wagging his tail, can you give him that note?"
is probably what should have happened, but in reality the guy knows who Snout is because the reader knows who Snout is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Fister Roboto posted:

why does his torso look so long

Although Terracciano isn't very consistent, he tends to draw Snout with no hips or rear end. The legs are usually too short, and Snout often looks like he's been compressed horizontally: extremely thin, rod-like limbs, small shoulders, etc. (He tends to have childlike proportions (e.g. a big head).)

The fashion design, such as it is, is also quite 'vertical' and emphasizes the torso - especially the baggy, Xtra-Large jockstrap that droops down way lower than his junk should be.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
yeah but he draws literally everybody and everything like that, including cats and elephants.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Although Terracciano isn't very consistent, he tends to draw Snout with no hips or rear end. The legs are usually too short, and Snout often looks like he's been compressed horizontally: extremely thin, rod-like limbs, small shoulders, etc. (He tends to have childlike proportions (e.g. a big head).)

The fashion design, such as it is, is also quite 'vertical' and emphasizes the torso - especially the baggy, Xtra-Large jockstrap that droops down way lower than his junk should be.

You censored his vagina bones and bell bottoms :mad:

But also drat, he looks miles better with just slight proportional adjustments

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I noticed at some point that Snout tapers inwards from the waist down. He has no hips or butt.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
His tail would probably look less like a tumor on his back if he had hips/rear end.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Nah it'd still look like a tumor on his back because instead of being an extension of his spine like a regular tail it sticks out at a 90% angle from his lower back.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah it'd still look like a tumor on his back because instead of being an extension of his spine like a regular tail it sticks out at a 90% angle from his lower back Mookie fundamentally does not understand how anatomy works

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jar Jar!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bismuth posted:

But also drat, he looks miles better with just slight proportional adjustments

The trouble is the 'slightness'. Everything is only off by about 1-3 inches, at most - which, I guess, is what people mean by 'competence'. The arms are about the right length in some images, the knees are about where they should be, etc.

Of course, though, what this actually means is that everything is off by 1-3 inches. That's enough that Snout's hand will lose its fingers, his penis is in the wrong place, and his feet are missing.... This adds up.

Isolating the proportional issues from the style can help highlight the limitations in the style. Snout's got the cartoon googley eyes, and that's ok. I don't like it, but it's a style thing. The matte-black hair looks aight. But what's going on with the quasi-random shading? Why do the clothes often look thick and... meaty? Why's the artist consistently going in to render individual arm hairs and pubes, but not fingers?

People can attribute it to laziness, but it doesn't take effort to to make sure a character's head stays roughly the same size from panel to panel. There are actually a lot of unnecessary lines, which shows misplaced effort.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dominic Deegan: his penis is in the wrong place

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hell, same

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I just really, really hate the prominent crotch

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Happy Landfill posted:

A lot of good thread titles this page

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Literally in the library and he's still not looking up the info on the stupid dream scape.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

wow so glad we solved the mystery of why there are plants in the library, everyone was wondering about that

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Literally "See guys I wasn't being lazy in my tracing by drawing vines on the ceiling. I was world building*

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
A random thought just occured to me- mookie wants to make a video game, or a tabletop setting, and is just doing it in a completely different medium. Strips like this are the stray lore book you find in someones house in the second town.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Watch out, Snout, that bookshelf behind you is about to fall on top of you!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, you know, I think I could forgive a lot of his artistic sins if he just didnt draw crotches like that

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's all going accord to kesma*.

*Kesma means city!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hold on, is she called Luna Watercaller because she becomes a waterbender down the line? Or is it Watercaller because she gave up her ability to get pregnant to make the orc lands and orcs themselves fertile again? I recall one of you mentioned something about Dominic and Luna claiming all future orcs are their kids and Mookie had to edit that one out.

Also, I love Mookie saying the radical orcs shook the city to its core and everyone's still recovering from its horrors, while classic DD just sweeps under the rug all the poo poo Callan did against the orcs.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Watch out, Snout, that bookshelf behind you is about to fall on top of you!

Whoa whoa that’s too much excitement for this comic, friend

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Wait a minute, I don't remember a lot about Dominic Deegan but I do remember the most prominent part of the rebirth of Maltak being that it took place under their sacred mountain. Did they build a suburb right on top of the sacred mountain?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Given they also gave up literally their entire historic tradition to settle down and become an urban people because that's easier for Mookie to imagine than nomads who have chosen to remain nomads while still advancing technologically...yes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Given they also gave up literally their entire historic tradition to settle down and become an urban people because that's easier for Mookie to imagine than nomads who have chosen to remain nomads while still advancing technologically...yes.

Makes me think of the recent discussion in the cspam pop culture thread about how Legend of Korra's setting has a lot more Western aethestic, because people see US/UK style architecture and clothing as a natural product of industrialization and advancing technology rather than a forced cultural export of Western colonialism/imperialism.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Luna is called the "Watercaller" because I believe at the climax of the Maltak arc whatever magic poo poo she did caused some kind of cleansing rain to happen to washed away the contamination and also reset all of the orc magic to ground zero. Also, it washed off everyone's tattoos.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, it did what?

For any like, actual society he was drawing visual inspiration from, washing off the tats would be horrific.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Tattoos are primitive things for barbarians and our white savior uplifted them. You fool.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Riot Bus posted:

Luna is called the "Watercaller" because I believe at the climax of the Maltak arc whatever magic poo poo she did caused some kind of cleansing rain to happen to washed away the contamination and also reset all of the orc magic to ground zero. Also, it washed off everyone's tattoos.

loving hell, he put absolutely zero thought into the implications of that.:cripes:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

That was the way all the tribes were dissovled, since division = bad.

Again, this is a white person's understanding of indigeneity. For Mookie, the orcs are not seperate peoples grouped together by common heritage or common oppresion, they are one people irrationally splitting themselves up withint their country.

Why the border between Semashiland and Callan is any less irrational, well, Mookie didn't think about that.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I know we are picking apart much more embarrassing things, but that posture is uncomfortable as hell if you are peering over a book on a table that high while sitting. Your arms get in the way of leaning forward.

The book, table, and Snout size are all off weirdly

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Billy Gnosis posted:

I know we are picking apart much more embarrassing things, but that posture is uncomfortable as hell if you are peering over a book on a table that high while sitting. Your arms get in the way of leaning forward.

The book, table, and Snout size are all off weirdly

It should go without saying, at this point, that the pose is 100% traced. Things that were clearly not in whatever photo Terracciano used are askew: the edges of the table, Snout's pig nose, the bookshelf, the curiously floppy elbow spikes, etc.

The books themselves are actually drawn very precisely, so I presume they were also traced - but I suspect that they are from an entirely different photograph. You're right that the pose looks extremely awkward, but it's largely because Snout's eyes aren't aligned with how the books are arranged.

That brings us to the issue that, though it might seem "realer", a photo doesn't necessarily have good composition. Terracciano's panel is a jumble of shapes with no clear focal point.

I didn't do any sort of precise measurement redrawing the books, but I think the right-hand version is an improvement despite the fact that - or because - it has significantly less detail.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Bismuth posted:

Yeah, you know, I think I could forgive a lot of his artistic sins if he just didnt draw crotches like that

Honestly, it would bother me less if the pants weren't also clearly very baggy. That's the problem with Ink Witch's dress, too--it looks loose and baggy and then seems to vacuum form around her crotch and boobs.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chapter 19: Snowsong

The archive doesn't split Snowsong up, so I will be breaking it up into little 12 strip chunks for ease of reading. As a warning, I have a lot to say about these strips.

We finally get a sense of time passing, something it is sorely needed. A reminder that most of the events all the way up to the war in hell all seem to happen within the same few weeks, then an unspecified amount of time passes before all the nonsense with stunt and bumper and the students/Nielen.

Yes, Snowsong was apparently foreshadowed way back in the Storm of Souls, the lady with the boob window there being blasted away was apparently a supervillain all along. My conspiracy theory is that Mookie actually decided to write the story based on that panel, because she was dressed so peculiarly.

But yes, this chaos cultist of the chosen is coming back to Barthis for revenge

Here’s where things start to get off the rails in a really stupid way. Snowsong’s beliefs manifest as this bizarre ideological fixation with conformity in most minute and petty ways. Already this makes her a ridiculous caricature of a villain. Having a usual at a restaurant makes you a mindless sheep is among the dumbest reasons for extremism ever.

Also, while the chosen were supposed to be chaos positive, this is implying that the reason why they thought they were destroying Barthis was because that random town that they had previously tried to do a sacrifice in was inexplicably a hive of conformity and a symbol of order? It’s retroactively trying to give this character a motivation for participating in mass destruction that can be excused. See, it wasn’t really her fault she was misled into believing that Barthis was full of squares and dorks who follow all the rules.

Take note of that chocolate cake, it’s actually a plot point later on.

Nothing much happened the strip, so I’ll just say that Dominic’s giggly face is awful and looks like he’s swallowing his lower jaw. He suddenly has a turtle beak for a mouth

Here Mookie gets lazier than even his awful puns were and just has Dominic directly reference an out of universe meme/idea that would make no sense within the context of the fantasy world he set up. Mookie will not justify this in any way. Dominic just referenced the Hulk and we all have to live with it. And I think this is a good point to talk about how the total whiplash in DD does a disservice to the story. If the comic had remain lighthearted and comedic, and not too plotcentric, I don’t think I would mind this reference. But in the context of what’s going to follow in this arc, including stuff like this makes it hard to take what follows seriously and makes the twist at the end of the arc even worse.

Here’s some more magibabble to justify what we’re seeing, even though none of this has been established previously and we been given no chance to learn it organically. I hate this sort of magic, that follows arbitrary rules made up on the spot to justify the plot. Just because it’s magic doesn’t mean things should happen without setup or explanation. Obviously with serialized fiction it’s not always possible to set things up as easily as in more edited works, but there should have been some indications in some way that Greg was “abusing” his white fire in a way that was not totally offscreen and unknown to the readers.

Here again we see Dominic having gone from “smarty pants who gets visions” into “psychic mind magus”. Dominic can now psychonauts/inception his way into the subconcious of others to implant suggesting and memories.

Now, to be fair to Mookie, this is something we have seen him do previously, but I really dislike the ease with which Dominic can just enter Greg’s mindscape here. Just instantaneously via touch. Won’t come up again, but incredibly powerful and dangerous when you think about it.

As an aside, I hate that Dominic gets to make a comment about how hard his offscreen effort was.

I’m going to spoil something here. Dominic is lying. Later in the arc it will be revealed that Dominic got Greg’s subconscious to deliberately magically alter his appearance. But, I don’t know if Mookie had decided that Dominic was lying at this point. In fact I think at this point, Mookie thought that Dominic was telling the truth. Because I remember that fans of the comic were really pissed off about the whole “things to get dark when you turn out the lights” thing. Not only is it stupid on the face of it, but it forgot that Greg’s hair is not white or even blond, but a deep red that was in no way related to the colour of his white fire. The course, in black and white it’s really hard to tell that that’s what their colour is, I’m betting that Mookie but would being clever and forgot what Greg actually looked like based on colour strips

Going back into the lore, I’m just going to point out that Greg is supposed to have studied white magic as a response to being infected by the blight of the undead by his brother. At some point though this morphed into the blight of the undead suppressing some sort of innate magical gift that Greg possessed. That is logic that you’re seeing here again, even if it’s not really set up why that should be the case, since magic is never implied to be hereditary. But Greg’s body is innately dependent upon his white fire to function correctly, even his muscle mass decreasing without it.

Again, technically all this is revealed to be a lie later, but I do not at all believe that Mookie was thinking about that at this point.

Greg of course instantly recognizes his nemesis and picks out exactly why they are here, because Mookie was too lazy to spend more than a few panels setting up his dumb superhero arc.

Art Filler, just so we can appreciate the wide variety of people with the same anime face that exist in this world

Tara did a lot of fanart for DD, and the lips always looked super weird.

So yes, Greg's big idea is to set himself up as a Clark Kent/Peter Parker altar ego to his magic self. I mean this right down to being a reporter. To anyone who hasn't experienced all of this arc yet, you can see why people started to get annoyed. The degree to which Mookie was telegraphing his intentions, and the stupid contrivances he was introducing to get the plot to twist in that direction, were really out of place in the setting.

Here Mookie can't even keep his definitions of chaos and order consistent. Suddenly, chaos worshipers are actually about high culture and literacy and refinement. Snowsong's motivations make absolutely no sense at all now. It seems that she was literally coming to the town expecting to find a bunch of drones working in a factory? Soldiers in a regiment? No, what she was expecting to find was the dumb illiterate mob from lynn's brook, who have somehow come to represent order in her mind despite that not making sense at all. I'm struggling to find the words to articulate why this is so stupid to me, because it is so stupid a twist for Snowsong's character to take.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 29, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

Here Mookie can't even keep his definitions of chaos and order consistent. Suddenly, chaos worshipers are actually about high culture and literacy and refinement. Snowsong's motivations make absolutely no sense at all now. It seems that she was literally coming to the town expecting to find a bunch of drones working in a factory? Soldiers in a regiment? No, what she was expecting to find was the dumb illiterate mob from lynn's brook, who have somehow come to represent order in her mind despite that not making sense at all. I'm struggling to find the words to articulate why this is so stupid to me, because it is so stupid a twist for Snowsong's character to take.

It's stupid because all this time Mookie thinks those provincial, book-hating rednecks in his old town are awful people who don't deserve his help (despite basically being the equivalent of a customer service guy who keeps scoffing and rolling their eyes at you). But it's fine if Dominic does that because he's Mookie's self-insert, but Snowsong hating old Barthis because it wasn't cultured enough is bad because...???

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
You’d think negative order-related aspects of society would be like an unwillingness to reform, or adhering to outdated customs or a dozen other things that could never work in Dominic Deegan. All we know about Barthis can fit on a post-it (cop, mayor, library) so there’s nothing for Snowsong to base her opinions off. I guess the idea is that chaos = change = progress and Barthis making new buildings means it’s progressing, but it’s very silly to think a society is accepting of change just cause they’re building poo poo. Does she not know Barthis was recently exploded? They could just be re-building exact replicas of the buildings they lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Beelzebufo posted:

Tara did a lot of fanart for DD, and the lips always looked super weird.

Just a heads up you seem to have posted the 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons race lineup twice by accident instea do f the fan art.