Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

You'd think by 359 pages youse blokes would have learned to eat properly hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Blokes? ANGLO SUPREMECIST ALERT!!!

The bones/chopsticks thing made sense once I learned you dont usually use a knife at the table.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 27, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stink Billyums posted:

Do you have Xi Jinping Thoughts in your house?

I am protected.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Waiting for someone to tell me that bone shards in soup is perfectly acceptable and civilized next.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i use bone-in chicken for my chicken soup recipe because i like flavor and sometimes some bones end up floating around in the broth after i try to clean them out. same thing with my gumbo recipe.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i use bone-in chicken for my chicken soup recipe because i like flavor and sometimes some bones end up floating around in the broth after i try to clean them out. same thing with my gumbo recipe.

You should chop those bones up into little shards and sprinkle them in the soup.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Who doesn't have bone shards in their soup? Might as well eat a bowl of lukewarm water, you loving plebe

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Because the thread has gone all "genocide denier-y" again, it's as good a time to bore everyone with a story from my time living in China.

It was in the last few weeks I was living in Fuzhou, so June 2018. I was on a bus, minding my own business. The bus was not crowded, which was slightly unusual for most of the buses that I rode on in China. Anyways, an old woman gets on the bus and sits in the seat opposite me. She proceeds, as is her want, to take out an apple and eat it. But she decides to eat it in a way that I have never seen anyone eat an apple before or since. She brought out the apple, and a clear plastic bag. She would take a bite of the apple, chew it, and then spit out the skin into the plastic bag. All out in the open on a public bus. As she continues to do this, at a later stop a mother and a young girl of about 10 get on the bus and sit next to the old eating/chewing/spitting out woman. The little girl sees me and her eyes get wide in shock as she notices I am a foreigner. Because I am not a bastard, I smile and give a polite nod, to which her mum smiles and nods back. The girl however is still scandalized that there is a foreigner on her bus, and proceeds to stare at me for the rest of the trip. All while the old lady sitting next to her continues her 3 part apple eating routine.

An old lady spitting apple peel into a plastic bag? That's of no concern. But an Australian riding the bus?!?! Now there's your headline.

Thank you for indulging me by reading this boring story from my life. I hope it, and the CIA overlords that paid for it have convinced you that the CCP is indeed involved in genocide in Xinjiang.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can strain your stock after you make it.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Thread lurker that went to Beijing once for a short visit a decade ago, but I really appreciate this thread for capturing what it felt like to be an expat. I lived in Turkey for a few years. Loved the country. Met lots of cool people. Felt like a complete alien. And got to question and appreciate my own government by living under another one.

Thanks China thread.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stink Billyums posted:

Do you have Xi Jinping Thoughts in your house?

no this is a non disney household

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I’ll go ahead and state that I reject normalativism?? Whatever that fancy philosophical word is that says everything is relative mannn. I, outside of Chinese (or any other culture that deliberately puts bone shards in their food), am fine declaring that this is an inferior practice. The same way I come from a culture that thinks female genital circumcision is a dumb and barbaric practice, even though I am outside of that culture.

My culture is not perfect, and has lots of aspects that are bad. But that doesn’t change the fact that shards (not pieces, huge distinction) of bone in food is awful and dare I say uncivilized.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just learned that the French for chopsticks is baguettes chinoises

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Baguette just means stick in french. A lot of their genres of bread are just named after objects. Like Boule just means Bowl

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The Bone shard complainers remind me of Karl from this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2t-FxG47yE

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I am protected.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gaius Marius posted:

Baguette just means stick in french. A lot of their genres of bread are just named after objects. Like Boule just means Bowl

oh, I know. I just hadn't heard the term before. batard is a fun one in the bread category

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just learned that the French for chopsticks is baguettes chinoises

and the word for baguette in Chinese is 法棒 or "french stick“。 Everything comes full circle.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

You can strain your stock after you make it.

Make me, westerner. I will die before I take out the bone shards.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Beard Dandruff posted:

So which poster in this thread got banned for being a pedo?

has anyone here ever been to south east asia?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beard Dandruff posted:

So which poster in this thread got banned for being a pedo?

a person who posted in this thread once in 18 months

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ailumao posted:

and the word for baguette in Chinese is 法棒 or "french stick“。 Everything comes full circle.

holy fuuuuuck

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the OSHA thread:

Looking at the ribbon on the side mirror and lack of plates, I'm pretty sure this is someone's birthday present.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
its interesting that cspams arguments against this thread are as solid as their arguments about everything else

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But surely this slam dunk will make those Anglo supremacist in GBS realise genocide is cool and good as long as you do it to barbaric ethnics!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The CSPAM genocide-denial derail is boring, I still want to understand what's the go with moaning about bones in your meat. Do you just absolutely hork your food down, double-fisting it like a seppo going to town on a big plate of nuggies? It's not hard to eat around the bones or to spit out the little bits.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
your friendly reminder that the uyghur girl I dated from xinjiang in 2012 simply vanished off all internet in 2018 and her friends don’t even know where she is

there may be a solid reason for it, however, given the nature of the situation in xinjiang, I am personally a bit trigger happy to tell people to loving eat poo poo when they come in with their absurd “well wait is this being funding by the CIA and it’s what they want u to think” absolute loving nonsense

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the uigyur dude i know successfully made it out to australia w his family :unsmith:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpbz7kghLqk

How China does healthcare comes up in the thread a lot

I don't know the average income in every part of China, but in Zhengzhou I don't know too many (Chinese) people making over 5000 a month, 3000 is probably more common. In the rural parts of Henan a ton of people make 1 or 2 thousand a month.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ili posted:

The CSPAM genocide-denial derail is boring, I still want to understand what's the go with moaning about bones in your meat. Do you just absolutely hork your food down, double-fisting it like a seppo going to town on a big plate of nuggies? It's not hard to eat around the bones or to spit out the little bits.

We should all eat food with broken glass in it then.

Same difference.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I eat fish steaks with bones left in occasionally, but the flavour comes from those being a cross-section and the bones are just an annoyance. A shard of animal bone is extremely unpleasant if you miss even one and I didn't notice any flavour improvements. It's not like I only tried once, either.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Eating a whole fish or a t-bone or quarter chicken is no problem. You know where the bones are.

Eating meat which has been divided by wild swings of a clever leaving needle-sharp shrapnel everwhere? Not so much.

Choking to death or stabbing a piece of bone into the roof of my mouth is not the kind of adventurous eating experience I'm looking for.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Some arguments make zero sense anyway: the Uighur testimony site got banned from youtube due to CCP pressure, but also somehow it was a psyops CIA operation and not just some guy posting video and text accounts from refugees. Sure.

The Great Autismo! posted:

your friendly reminder that the uyghur girl I dated from xinjiang in 2012 simply vanished off all internet in 2018 and her friends don’t even know where she is

there may be a solid reason for it, however, given the nature of the situation in xinjiang, I am personally a bit trigger happy to tell people to loving eat poo poo when they come in with their absurd “well wait is this being funding by the CIA and it’s what they want u to think” absolute loving nonsense

There's tons of people with Uighur family connections and also Uighur refugees in Turkey. As a European, you can literally go and talk to them yourself.
Ask them how much money they get from the CIA lmao

There is also another point: Xinjiang is not the only place where Muslims are treated like poo poo. From India, to Rohingya in Myanmar, to Africa and also Europe. As a Muslim, literally no one gives a poo poo about whether you live or die. LEAST of all the CIA.
If there'd be one group to easily genoide, it would be some Muslim ethnicity.

This is what I find most infuriating: Posters from whatever subforum suggesting that anyone who cares about the Uighur genocide being somehow pro CIA, pro America and even "racist towards Chinese people". It is infuriating, because it is the exact opposite for anyone who really gives a drat about the topic.

You can cut it any way you like. At this point, there's more than enough evidence from individual accounts - which is what should count most. In additon to aforementioned videos, there's things like this https://www.shahit.biz/eng/#home
And, as I said, there are literally refugees willing to give testimony and many have done. It is just ignored.

As a consequence, the only moral thing for any mod or admin to do is to ban genocide deniers, in particular racists who are happy to describe Uighurs and other non-Han ethnicities as "barbaric" or inferior - which happens consistently. It's textbook imperialistic racism. If it were ANY other ethnicity than a Muslim one, bans would be flying left and right, instead of some probes (if that).

It's loving enough now okay?

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 28, 2021

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Nice!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yes but did you consider the racist imperialism has a red flag n star?

We must civilise the capitalist primitives! *catches party limo back to the Burj Khalifa presidential suite*

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Because the thread has gone all "genocide denier-y" again, it's as good a time to bore everyone with a story from my time living in China.

It was in the last few weeks I was living in Fuzhou, so June 2018. I was on a bus, minding my own business. The bus was not crowded, which was slightly unusual for most of the buses that I rode on in China. Anyways, an old woman gets on the bus and sits in the seat opposite me. She proceeds, as is her want, to take out an apple and eat it. But she decides to eat it in a way that I have never seen anyone eat an apple before or since. She brought out the apple, and a clear plastic bag. She would take a bite of the apple, chew it, and then spit out the skin into the plastic bag. All out in the open on a public bus. As she continues to do this, at a later stop a mother and a young girl of about 10 get on the bus and sit next to the old eating/chewing/spitting out woman. The little girl sees me and her eyes get wide in shock as she notices I am a foreigner. Because I am not a bastard, I smile and give a polite nod, to which her mum smiles and nods back. The girl however is still scandalized that there is a foreigner on her bus, and proceeds to stare at me for the rest of the trip. All while the old lady sitting next to her continues her 3 part apple eating routine.

An old lady spitting apple peel into a plastic bag? That's of no concern. But an Australian riding the bus?!?! Now there's your headline.

Thank you for indulging me by reading this boring story from my life. I hope it, and the CIA overlords that paid for it have convinced you that the CCP is indeed involved in genocide in Xinjiang.

you're white skin would probably outrank someone taking a poo poo in the open on a bus seat

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

As a consequence, the only moral thing for any mod or admin to do is to ban genocide deniers, in particular racists who are happy to describe Uighurs and other non-Han ethnicities as "barbaric" or inferior - which happens consistently. It's textbook imperialistic racism. If it were ANY other ethnicity than a Muslim one, bans would be flying left and right, instead of some probes (if that).

It's loving enough now okay?

:emptyquote:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
is american prison level of treatment genocide?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

lollontee posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

lollontee posted:

You're doing it wrong.

"What about American prisons, does their treatment of prisoners count as genocide?"