Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

What if they hooked the magnets up with nos?
Instead of a “Danger to Manifold!!!” warning we see a “Danger to Magnets!!!” warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What on earth was the scene where they talk about Ares being the god of war when the superweapon was called Aries

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
There was a lot of silly poo poo in that movie such as when Queenie claimed that Vin Diesel and John Cena have „similar features” or when John Cena made three ziplines across Edinburgh

e: or the samson moment

goblin week fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 26, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

goblin week posted:

There was a lot of silly poo poo in that movie such as when Queenie claimed that Vin Diesel and John Cena have „similar features” or when John Cena made three ziplines across Edinburgh

e: or the samson moment

Speaking of features, apparently once their younger selves grew up and got some money, they both got rear end-loads of plastic surgery to be able to look like Vin Diesel and John Cena.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

John Cena looks like Michael Rooker's son in the movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerkface posted:

John Cena looks like Michael Rooker's son in the movie

Cena looks like someone took a normal person and scaled them up like .5.

Any scene where he physically interacts with another person just looks goofy.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well there a limit to how much you can blame Cena for that he's a professional wrestler after all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Apparently in the videogame they race a giant rocket flying sideways, which is something I now want to see in the movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoknjg5XsrM

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Everyone posted:

Speaking of features, apparently once their younger selves grew up and got some money, they both got rear end-loads of plastic surgery to be able to look like Vin Diesel and John Cena.

My beef was more with the idea that Vin Diesel and John Cena are bouba and kiki respectively but that's also true!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh yeah the Japanese title is indeed WILD SPEED JET BREAK but unfortunately the poster just doesn't measure up to the previous Japanese posters

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Everyone posted:

Yeah, but if I have a really powerful flashlight that emits super-bright light and I turn it off, it doesn't somehow suck in light from the rest of the room. The "magnets" here could suck metals to them and then shoot those metals away. Now matter how powerful a magnet is, if you turn it off the metal stuff to it just falls away, it's not propelled.
What if they were magnets with NOS hooked up to them?

Efb

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Everyone posted:

Yeah, but if I have a really powerful flashlight that emits super-bright light and I turn it off, it doesn't somehow suck in light from the rest of the room. The "magnets" here could suck metals to them and then shoot those metals away. Now matter how powerful a magnet is, if you turn it off the metal stuff to it just falls away, it's not propelled.

well obviously the electromagnet imparted a charge into the metal and then the switch reversed the polarity. It's just science.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

well obviously the electromagnet imparted a charge into the metal and then the switch reversed the polarity. It's just science.

Cool. Well, when FF10 brings in reversible flashlights that can emit darkness I don't want to hear anyone whining about science.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just drift backwards to make the magnets do different stuff. Cmon guys :science:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah Mr Nobody seems like a real fuckin jerk

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Dissapointed that Cena didn’t get to hit an AA on that massive MMA guy when they we’re scrapping on top of that armoured vehicle, c’mon if ya let The Rock do a Rock Bottom on Statham then you have to let Cena bust out a signature move.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shoehead posted:

Woah Mr Nobody seems like a real fuckin jerk

No, he really doesn't - which is kind of hilarious to me. I mean, let's look at what he's done over the past three movies (including this one).

Saved Dom's life in Dom's initial confrontation with Deckard Shaw.
Provided massive resources and backing to the team in their quest to rescue Ramsey.
(Presumably) Smoothed things over when the team broke part of Dubai.
(Presumably )Smoothed things over when the team fought a war in Los Angeles.

Got Deckard Shaw and Luke Hobbs freed from prison and somehow not wanted by the police after they basically caused a riot during their escape.
Again provided massive resources and backing to the team.
Got Hobbs and Deckard Shaw pardoned.
Kept Dom from going to prison for the stuff he did for Cipher.
(Presumably) got Owen Shaw pardoned as well.

And in F9 we learn that in addition to the above

He saved Han's life and helped him fake his death.

Mr. Nobody is basically Spy Santa Claus.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope they do a Transformers crossover and Tyrese meets himself

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1409261281928962076

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Actually I was thinking, you know how Roman joked about running into the Ninja Turtles?

Why not? I mean both properties are about Family and ridiculous spectacle. It be perfect. And plus with Roman's increasing idiot badass credit, he needs to get some ninja kills down stat.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
So last year was really hard and honestly my mental health took a toll. Really been working on it and since I have seen every Fast and Furious movie on opening night since the first one of course I saw this one. And it ruled. Really felt like a nice return to the movies and definitely going to see it again. Justin Lin is a fantastic director (everyone should watch Warrior) and it was just a ton of fun. Highly recommend.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Dissapointed that Cena didn’t get to hit an AA on that massive MMA guy when they we’re scrapping on top of that armoured vehicle, c’mon if ya let The Rock do a Rock Bottom on Statham then you have to let Cena bust out a signature move.

to be a fly on the wall when someone had to explain to Statham what a "rock bottom" is before shooting

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Apollo posted:

Instead of a “Danger to Manifold!!!” warning we see a “Danger to Magnets!!!” warning.

This reminds me, just rewatched the first one, still a classic. I find it funny how "The Trucker with a shotgun" who they face in the climax is by far the most formidable foe they've ever faced. And he got away too.

When they were foreshadowing a bit with "these truckers are gonna take matters into their own hands!", I didn't take it seriously. Turns out a trucker with a shotgun is not something they were ready for that day. Maybe an homage to Easy Rider in a roundabout way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Everyone posted:

Mr. Nobody is basically Spy Santa Claus.

Maybe, it seems like him helping out leads to further problems down the road. Plus before him it was all drug tunnels and dvd players and... a bank vault and now its double secret murders and mother base from MGSV

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

This reminds me, just rewatched the first one, still a classic. I find it funny how "The Trucker with a shotgun" who they face in the climax is by far the most formidable foe they've ever faced. And he got away too.

When they were foreshadowing a bit with "these truckers are gonna take matters into their own hands!", I didn't take it seriously. Turns out a trucker with a shotgun is not something they were ready for that day. Maybe an homage to Easy Rider in a roundabout way.

It'll turn out that the super-duper-secret-mastermind was actually "Trucker with a shotgun" all along.

Shoehead posted:

Maybe, it seems like him helping out leads to further problems down the road. Plus before him it was all drug tunnels and dvd players and... a bank vault and now its double secret murders and mother base from MGSV

Well, the only people that don't have some version of "further problems down the road" are the ones that are already dead. Mr. Nobody helping out kept them from being already dead. Further problems down the road isn't a bad price to pay when you consider the alternative.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Heavy Metal posted:

I love that and how crazy the antics are now vs. it all starting with some guys stealing combo DVD/VHS players.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

And that truck driver with a shotgun…Jack Burton

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel like all of the plot beats involving (very mild spoiler) Michael Rooker and Helen Mirren and Cardi B and really anything involving London really didn't need to be in the movie. Like I don't think there was anything lost just going straight to Edinburgh aside from the opportunity for a couple of cameos? That entire part also seemed kinda half-baked, since there could have been something more done with the bad guys outsmarting/out-performing the Family instead of just Jakob gets smuggled in, magnets get turned on, zip lines. The resulting chase was good, though.

I also feel like Han and even Cena really felt wasted. All of the emotional heavy lifting for Jakob was done via flashback with another actor and like, one scene with Dom, and despite saying that the spy world was his world, he didn't really do much of anything, compared with the constant threat that was Deckard Shaw in Furious 7.

Still had fun with the set pieces, but it dragged a lot in the middle. Was a great reminder of why theaters own though since that movie was LOUD. Vroom vroom.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Still holding our hope for Roger Corman to show up in 10 or 11 as Grandpa Turretto and smack Dom around a little.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Dom superman punches forty swat dudes and tears an entire building down around himself by pulling on chains JUST because he needs to reflect on his childhood and would prefer to do that somewhere cool, like in some watery abyss filled with debris and bodies.

Not the best entry in the series. But worth seeing for this moment.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I hope they further retcon Han's death scene in every movie going forward

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Turns out Han wasn’t even in Japan that night

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Dom superman punches forty swat dudes and tears an entire building down around himself by pulling on chains JUST because he needs to reflect on his childhood and would prefer to do that somewhere cool, like in some watery abyss filled with debris and bodies.

Not the best entry in the series. But worth seeing for this moment.

I appreciated that it looked like he was flexing when he first jumped down

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The "as long as we obey the laws of physics" line was amazing.

5 still the series highpoint.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 28, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Everyone posted:

Exposing ferromagnetic metal to an intense magnetic field aligns the domains and makes it into a magnet itself. That, in fact, is how permanent magnets are manufactured.

Therefore, the metal objects picked up became strongly magnetized with a polarity aligned with the existing field (which is the lowest energy state). If you then reverse the electomagnet's polarity, these newly-created magnets would be violently repelled from the car.

As long as we obey the laws of physics, the scene makes perfect sense.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Name one time when this series has obeyed the laws of physics

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I feel like the series didn't get really ridiculous with respect to the laws of physics until the opening scene of 4

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The United States posted:

I feel like the series didn't get really ridiculous with respect to the laws of physics until the opening scene of 4

i've completely forgotten that movie and thought all that stuff started with 5 but, holy moly 4's opening is insane

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://twitter.com/acccent/status/1409369245058842627

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mastershakeman posted:

i've completely forgotten that movie and thought all that stuff started with 5 but, holy moly 4's opening is insane
It really was the birth of the modern Fast Franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fexia8eYF-0

It also served effectively as a reboot (hence the title) for everyone who hadn't seen the first 3

And just like the first movie, "Truck Driver with Gun" is their greatest nemesis

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

At this point in the series, Lucas Black should be in his early 20s right? Lmao