Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Looking for apartments is super annoying and tedious.
But it's especially annoying when you've found one you really really like and want, and have a viewing set up, but it's a while until then, and in the meanwhile everything else just feels like a waste of time.
So everything you look at until then is like 'ugh fine, but I'd rather have the one I really want.' Hopefully I'm one of the first people on a viewing for it, so I'm hoping I can just hammer out an agreement immediately.

(Also decent-y looking apartments that pull utter bullshit like:
'Oh yeah it's just a floor in our house, with a normal stair connecting 'your apartment' with our living space, instead of separate apartments/entrances.'
'Oh.. you pay me for power every month, you don't have your own power meter, just ssshhh trust me. I'm not overcharging you and pocketing the profit.'
There are a ton of annoying flags that when noticed, immediately take apartments from 'interesting' to 'gently caress offffff'.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
the town i live in has long been a vacation spot for rich nyc people and at the start of covid it got actual press coverage in city lifestyle publications as a great place to live if you telecommute so despite being a 3 hour train ride from the city we are now getting gentrified and rent is getting out of hand

but worse it is now tourist season and tourism is legal again and a group of people just got snotty with me when i made them get in line at the checkout when they tried to push past an elderly regular of mine who speaks little English: "we are from long island and we're only here to go boating" as if i give as
poo poo. go home and use yr boat on yr fuckin island, lady, i didn't invite you here

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Either my oven is busted or hello fresh really needs to give better timings for baking stuff. Following their instructions for stuff like potato wedges/zucchini always results in them being mostly raw.

I think they do it just to make the recipes seem more easy because I'd bet most people pick the recipes with lower prep/cook time, but all it does it make the main part done like 15-20 minutes before the sides.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I was watching Troy: Fall of a City on Netflix, and within the first 10 minutes we see Paris as a shepherd riding a horse to corral cattle. Not only that, but he’s riding the horse using stirrups.
Stirrups! In that 12th century BCE! Oh I think not!

I haven’t watched any further yet, but I’m sure this must have been the worst

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Either my oven is busted or hello fresh really needs to give better timings for baking stuff. Following their instructions for stuff like potato wedges/zucchini always results in them being mostly raw.

I think they do it just to make the recipes seem more easy because I'd bet most people pick the recipes with lower prep/cook time, but all it does it make the main part done like 15-20 minutes before the sides.

I've never made decent oven baked potatoes in less than 50 minutes at 450, so you're probably on to something, there.

Kinda like how all microwave meals tell you to go at full blast for x minutes even though nuking it at 50% for 2x minutes makes a significantly better meal. No one wants to wait 7 minutes for a hot pocket.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I've never made decent oven baked potatoes in less than 50 minutes at 450, so you're probably on to something, there.

Kinda like how all microwave meals tell you to go at full blast for x minutes even though nuking it at 50% for 2x minutes makes a significantly better meal. No one wants to wait 7 minutes for a hot pocket.

Yeah they recommend like 25 minutes for potatoes usually at either 425 or 450 depending on the recipe. That doesn't even brown them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Hello Fresh sounds worse and worse the more I hear about it. Do they just toss stuff in boxes and hope for the best? Cause goddamn.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fizzymercury posted:

Hello Fresh sounds worse and worse the more I hear about it. Do they just toss stuff in boxes and hope for the best? Cause goddamn.

When I can actually get the stuff to turn out as intended the food is pretty good, but it's extremely overpriced if it's not discounted (and even then it kind of is). It's extremely wasteful too even aside from the fact that everything's individually packaged in plastic - if you don't have the four person meal plan you'll only use like half of the sauces/spices. You could say you can save them for later, but how am I going to store half a little plastic tube of mustard?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

I once got a box with a prepackaged LBT sandwich, a shredded up hi-vis vest, a stock cube, and a panically written recipe card to add water and simmer till done.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How was it?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Tasted like 400ml of horse cum

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Complaining about YouTube is kind of redundant, but dear god I will never want 'Chat Replay' open.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Cute animal videos always have the worst music :mad:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HOLY gently caress posted:

I always watch them with the sound off, unless the description says to turn it on (because that pretty much always means that there's no music).

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Speaking of cute animal videos:

There’s a category of cute animal videos where pets have an array of buzzers available, with each buzzer labeled with a certain word. The video then shows the pet pressing some of those buzzers, and the pet owners interpreting what was supposedly communicated. Some of these videos go ridiculously far, with a cat using syntax (for instance something like: WANT - NOT - BATH). These videos get millions of views, with comments like “this cat is smarter than most people I know” (the irony of which I can enjoy).

What peeves me off is that there is nothing I could do to convince these people watching and commenting that it’s all make believe. They’re the flat-earthers of ethology.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Such Fun posted:

There’s a category of cute animal videos where pets have an array of buzzers available, with each buzzer labeled with a certain word. The video then shows the pet pressing some of those buzzers, and the pet owners interpreting what was supposedly communicated. Some of these videos go ridiculously far, with a cat using syntax (for instance something like: WANT - NOT - BATH). These videos get millions of views, with comments like “this cat is smarter than most people I know” (the irony of which I can enjoy).

What peeves me off is that there is nothing I could do to convince these people watching and commenting that it’s all make believe. They’re the flat-earthers of ethology.

I feel like these are the same kind of people who go to big cities and excitedly throw money at guys doing a shell game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like these are the same kind of people who go to big cities and excitedly throw money at guys doing a shell game.

Well that would explain why I owe my cat $15,000 now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It peeves me when people treat animals like they have people cognition. They have richer internal lives than they've historically been given credit for but part of being a good pet owner is recognizing that they are not tiny furry people. You need to know how cats behave and communicate, not project your human brain into them.

"My cat is drooling isn't that funny??"

No actually, that means she's probably in pain.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It peeves me when people treat animals like they have people cognition. They have richer internal lives than they've historically been given credit for but part of being a good pet owner is recognizing that they are not tiny furry people. You need to know how cats behave and communicate, not project your human brain into them.

"My cat is drooling isn't that funny??"

No actually, that means she's probably in pain.

Projecting human experiences onto non-human entities is called anthropomorphism.
It’s usually quite harmless, and it is often the way we intuitively extend compassion to things we can’t explicitly communicate with.
But you have to remain mindful that it’s you making poo poo up.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Such Fun posted:

Projecting human experiences onto non-human entities is called anthropomorphism.
It can also be called "pathetic" lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Pathetic Phallusy" is my shame stripper name

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Such Fun posted:

What the gently caress :pwn: I have never seen these before, they sound absolutely godawful. I’m more of a fan of the 10 second videos where a kitten yawns so hard it falls over or a someone gently pets a sleepy hedgehog. :3:

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

What the gently caress :pwn: I have never seen these before, they sound absolutely godawful. I’m more of a fan of the 10 second videos where a kitten yawns so hard it falls over or a someone gently pets a sleepy hedgehog. :3:

I think this channel is probably among the most egregious:

https://youtu.be/zrDiEHYB-o4

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Clever Hans for the TikTok Crew

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Semi-related peeve: When you share an obviously staged tiktok or funny tweet or something and someone immediately goes 'fake' when I'm like...no poo poo? I know it's probably fake, I still think it's funny. Next you'll be telling me cumshitter doesn't actually run a chain of financial offices out of men's restrooms.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Wait what?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I just assume every video I see is a well filmed masterpiece that everyone knowingly participated in and enjoyed filming. Makes the schadenfreud thread way easier to read.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When a Great General dies in battle on a >95% victory chance. I know it was a tiny risk! I know! But fuuuuuuuuuuu

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Landlording company where I'm moving out: (Yeah yeah, I know. I had you at 'landlord'.)
A: Has a 3 month cancellation period, meaning that me cancelling in June has me paying rent on it out September.
B: Since I'll likely move out in July, it'll probably be empty in August+September. I ask if someone else moves in due to me moving out quickly would mean I could stop paying rent early. " hahahaha no. "
C: "Oh by the way the old apartment complex has rats and a moth infestation in the cellar! Have a nice day! :D" (thankfully in a different area than when my storage unit is.)

(I got a sudden job offer this June in a different city, so it's not like I could have cancelled the contract earlier either.)
Anyhow, looks like I'll be moving out, cleaning up and everything, and then handing the keys over to a friend or relative that can hand the key over in the end of September.
I sure as hell ain't handing my apartment over early if I get 0 benefit out of it, while they have the option to start renting the apartment out, or doing renovations etc etc early at my expense.

They are of course within their rights per the contract, but it's incredibly lovely that they just take a 'lol no, you're paying out your contract period (even if we get new tenants in the meanwhile.)' stance.
God forbid you give me an inch of leeway after I've rented from you for like 4-5 years straight, especially since you'd be making more money on new tenants using it in the meanwhile.
(Looks like some new tenants popping into my apartment would likely be paying a solid 20-30% more than me in rental fees, judging by the current listings. )

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
"We're leaving an apartment off the market to gently caress over everyone including ourselves and we're right and justified for doing it because of reasons that don't make sense to anyone."

-Every apartment leasing company. It's so hosed up and odd.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yup.
Especially since apartment listings here in downtown Oslo regularly get grabbed within days of them going live, and they're going to have to go through the hassle of arranging viewings + all the other stuff regardless.
I would not even be slightly surprised if someone else took over the contract within a week of me moving out, provided the company actually put the listing up immediately.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pictured: Trash my roommate left on the kitchen counter. The kitchen trash can is literally 7 feet from this spot. I have found piles 3 feet away before.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Pictured: Trash my roommate left on the kitchen counter. The kitchen trash can is literally 7 feet from this spot. I have found piles 3 feet away before.
Every time my roommate does this I bag it up in a grocery sack and put it on his bed. It hasn't stopped him but I feel better about myself.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Are all four of those bottles from the same day?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

Are all four of those bottles from the same day?

They weren't there when I left this morning

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
A bunch of my neighbours have Ring door bells now, so whenever someone goes to their houses I'm effectively forced to listen to a little corporate jingle because they're really loud.

This is the future we asked for.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dip Viscous posted:

LOL at not having a FedEx driver that just hides poo poo in bushes for you to find literal weeks after ordering a replacement.

Edit: the morning guy hides my poo poo, the evening guy tosses my poo poo onto the lawn even if it's something that super needs to be signed for like a box that is covered on all sides with labels that say EXPLOSIVE.

my delivery guy hid a package in a large flowerpot, like took the lid off and put it in there with the bugs, i found it weeks later

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sometimes it annoys me when you get bad advice online because of learning hack videos, like when people say that there is no point trying to learn a language via memorisation when immersion is better - certainly the latter helps, but you still need to build a basic vocabulary and knowledge of sentence structure so that you can begin to dissect what people are saying, which requires the memorisation part. Certainly, reading comics or watching TV in the target language is helpful, but diving straight into it isn't going to get you anywhere because you won't be able to pick out ANY phrases or common words if you don't already know them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

my delivery guy hid a package in a large flowerpot, like took the lid off and put it in there with the bugs, i found it weeks later

Most recently I actually had a delivery driver actually bring my package to my floor and drop it off outside the apartment door.

...it wasn't my apartment door but A for effort nonetheless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

This is the kind of absolutely stupid poo poo I sometimes(regularly) do - and I live on my own, so I’m doing it to myself. This kind of behaviour falls in line with my ADD diagnosis. It’s perfectly explainable, but not excusable. It drives me up the wall, it must be so much worse if it’s somebody else loving up your living space.

If you talk to your roommate about this, my advice is to go in hard with boundaries that are non-negotiable. Do not agree to a compromise where you’re supporting their shortcomings; do not make it your responsibility for them to be responsible.

(That might seem really specific, but the kind of person that creates a garbage pile 7 feet from the bin is not going to take responsibility if they can get out of it)