Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hmm, there seems to be some emotional contradictions in dis here thread, somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, the "what about" is the key part of whataboutism.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
well, relative proportionality in emotional response is a subject of interest

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are plenty of other threads to talk about lovely things America does. This is the thread to talk about lovely things China does.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

There are plenty of other threads to talk about lovely things America does. This is the thread to talk about lovely things China does.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
like, im sure china is doing its best to either reindoctrinate everyone in the populace predisposed toward wahhabist islamism, or alternatively expel those who refuse. considering this a completely accepted and routine part of western counter-terrorism doctrine and practice for decades on now, it's a bit hard for me to see what the fuss is about

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so, if its just the same as what we do here in the west with jihadists...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Some arguments make zero sense anyway: the Uighur testimony site got banned from youtube due to CCP pressure, but also somehow it was a psyops CIA operation and not just some guy posting video and text accounts from refugees. Sure.

There's tons of people with Uighur family connections and also Uighur refugees in Turkey. As a European, you can literally go and talk to them yourself.
Ask them how much money they get from the CIA lmao

There is also another point: Xinjiang is not the only place where Muslims are treated like poo poo. From India, to Rohingya in Myanmar, to Africa and also Europe. As a Muslim, literally no one gives a poo poo about whether you live or die. LEAST of all the CIA.
If there'd be one group to easily genoide, it would be some Muslim ethnicity.

This is what I find most infuriating: Posters from whatever subforum suggesting that anyone who cares about the Uighur genocide being somehow pro CIA, pro America and even "racist towards Chinese people". It is infuriating, because it is the exact opposite for anyone who really gives a drat about the topic.

You can cut it any way you like. At this point, there's more than enough evidence from individual accounts - which is what should count most. In additon to aforementioned videos, there's things like this https://www.shahit.biz/eng/#home
And, as I said, there are literally refugees willing to give testimony and many have done. It is just ignored.

As a consequence, the only moral thing for any mod or admin to do is to ban genocide deniers, in particular racists who are happy to describe Uighurs and other non-Han ethnicities as "barbaric" or inferior - which happens consistently. It's textbook imperialistic racism. If it were ANY other ethnicity than a Muslim one, bans would be flying left and right, instead of some probes (if that).

It's loving enough now okay?

THIS IS NOT SARCASTIC POSTING:

If you feel there are problems with the moderation of this thread that need to be resolved I implore you to actually talk to someone about it instead of posting about it in an insular thread that like 10 people read. I happily accept PMs from users and it even helps me to understand what the hell is happening in certain threads. I will be 100% frank with you, I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about china, it's culture, or it's people so when I see a claim made in this thread I have no measuring stick by which to judge it. I don't even know what the predominant feeling of people in the US is about this stuff.

If you have any concerns vis-a-vis the moderation of this thread I would actually say something to someone who can do something. If it's something that can just be dealt with real quick I hope you'll reach out to Shumagorath your thread IK. If it's something bigger or more global DO NOT hesitate to PM me directly. I don't promise to understand this stuff but I will listen to what you have to say. I want this thread to be able to be enjoyable for people. If it's not then please reach out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

lollontee posted:

so, if its just the same as what we do here in the west with jihadists...
Do not make me fire up the mobile site on my lunch break to make you stop this poo poo, please.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally A Person posted:

THIS IS NOT SARCASTIC POSTING:

If you feel there are problems with the moderation of this thread that need to be resolved I implore you to actually talk to someone about it instead of posting about it in an insular thread that like 10 people read. I happily accept PMs from users and it even helps me to understand what the hell is happening in certain threads. I will be 100% frank with you, I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about china, it's culture, or it's people so when I see a claim made in this thread I have no measuring stick by which to judge it. I don't even know what the predominant feeling of people in the US is about this stuff.

If you have any concerns vis-a-vis the moderation of this thread I would actually say something to someone who can do something. If it's something that can just be dealt with real quick I hope you'll reach out to Shumagorath your thread IK. If it's something bigger or more global DO NOT hesitate to PM me directly. I don't promise to understand this stuff but I will listen to what you have to say. I want this thread to be able to be enjoyable for people. If it's not then please reach out.

hello,

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shumagorath posted:

Do not make me fire up the mobile site on my lunch break to make you stop this poo poo, please.

im making pancakes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
So what radicalized everyone here? I know a lot of people personally became aware of how hosed things where when winne the pooh forced Blizzard to censor Heartstone. Me personally, it was when all the Chinese antis attacked the V-tuber Kiryu Coco.

I can't imagine how hosed the future is when all media has to kowtow to Beijing, I'll never be able to enjoy my Marvel movies again!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The early 2000s RTS title Command & Conquer: Generals

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

When John Cena stopped supporting our troops and starting learning another language. I knew the communist influence had gone too far. It was then I decided to dedicate myself to calling out all oppression of muslims world wide.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actually meeting like a dozen fuerdai

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That pig's sack was just too big, and that forced me to recognize the independence of Taiwan.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Terminal autist posted:

So what radicalized everyone here? I know a lot of people personally became aware of how hosed things where when winne the pooh forced Blizzard to censor Heartstone. Me personally, it was when all the Chinese antis attacked the V-tuber Kiryu Coco.

I can't imagine how hosed the future is when all media has to kowtow to Beijing, I'll never be able to enjoy my Marvel movies again!

It was the mid to late 2000's and there was this video of a bus that had been converted to mass euthanise and organ harvest prisoners, with very little oversite and often without the family's knowing that their loved ones had even had a trial.

It was ever that or the dog market skinning video.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

tomo news CG segments that depict china as a big angry panda, can't argue with that

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

When Xi decided he was going to be Dictator For Life and started removing any references to how Dictators For Life might be bad. Up until that point I was somewhat optimistic.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Terminal autist posted:

winne the pooh forced Blizzard to censor Heartstone.

it was this OP

zhar
May 3, 2019

Terminal autist posted:

A youtube video made confront the political realities of what's really going on there, in fact it caused me to reassess everything I thought I knew in a very real way. I actually found it again just the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

When a Chinese MiG pilot was shot down by a GLA Stinger site and screamed "China will not forget meeeee!" I openly wept

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i saw the news about china grabbing territory in the south china sea and i remember this was foretold by "china will grow larger"

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Terminal autist posted:

So what radicalized everyone here?

The poo poo in HK did it for me.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nice Van My Man posted:

When Xi decided he was going to be Dictator For Life and started removing any references to how Dictators For Life might be bad. Up until that point I was somewhat optimistic.

It's this and the completely ridiculous and transparent landsea grab by force

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Darkest Auer posted:

It's this and the completely ridiculous and transparent landsea grab by force

just remembered this lol

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Daddy Xi coming out and saying "I'm gonna gently caress poo poo up" and beginning the next cold war was the thing for me, before that I thought things might turn around with time and just enjoyed the local goons posting in this thread about the weird/funny differences in workplace culture and Haier posting about his weird life

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I was radicalized by china's invention of gunpowder, which doomed the noble samurai as depicted in the documentary The Last Samurai With Tom Cruise

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

for me, it was the day the snow turned to rain, when Lan Di murdered my father.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nice Van My Man posted:

For me it was his 'anti corruption' campaign. But yeah, similar time frame.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Stink Billyums posted:

just remembered this lol

Wow, 10 dashes.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm kinda sad that I thought China was rough, but getting better, but then quadrupled down on everything that was bad and then added a grab-people-out-on-the-street genocide on top of that.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I had a 14 or so hour layover in Shanghai on the way to Sri Lanka once. I have had 14 hour lay overs in much worse airports.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I was on the fence for a bit, but when Poohbear went straight to Dictator for life it was pretty obvious what was going to happen next.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
For me it was when we rolled out the literal red carpet (alternating Canadian and Chinese flags down Sussex Dr.) courting a free trade deal at the beginning of the Trudeau government, and it all fell apart because China wanted an extradition treaty too.

I'd wanted to go to Hong Kong for a long time but was too busy with school and competition when I had the chance. Now that basically can't happen.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 28, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was ignorant, i figured dictator? whatever he'll have a heart attack in a few years and kept laughing at the 農民 and the cha bu duo. hong kong was my wakeup call, that was the beginning of china being way too hosed up in the kind of way you can't laugh at

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I was born in Hong Kong and wanted to revisit it for the longest time. Now it has been subsumed into a fascist totalitarian regime, I don’t really want to risk it anymore.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I saw two Chinese bulldozers fighting in the street and one yelled out, We build for China!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nuke General was way better than Tank General or Infantry General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Nuke General was way better than Tank General or Infantry General.

He was. Tho all are alot of fun in Contra mod.