Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
And note the placement rules are different on sheds/buildings than they are on the main board and islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
(talking about A Feast for Odin)
Hunting: low numbers are good
Raiding: high numbers are good

Point out to your players how they start with about negative 80 points, and a good final score is about 100 points. (If you like, you can mention that they get about 60 vikings-worth of actions across the whole game, so they should aim for about 3 points per worker). Stress the main ways of getting positive points: islands, expeditions, and buildings. Oh and silver I guess.

Make sure they remember they can buy boats, as well as construct them.

Make it clear that the only difference between blue and green goods is that the former have easier placement rules.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Games went well and I really enjoyed both games I played today.

I don't think we messed up any rules in FFO. I eeked out a single point victory with a score of 128 focusing on income early (grabbed Iceland) early on and transitioning to filling in all possible spaces on my main board & Iceland with some supplemental emigration. The second place player got 127 points going all in on emigration. Even though this is my first time playing the game, I've read this thread to remember there's been talk of emigration seeming incredibly powerful to newer players. I imagine as groups get more experienced everyone wants to do a little emigrating so it becomes harder for any one person to monopolize the space?

Second game we played was barrage. Very very cool design, but also very difficult to gronk until the 2nd-3rd turn. The central mechanism regarding water flow is the first board game mechanic that actually feels genuinely novel to me in years. There are a lot of aspects in the supporting design that feel borrowed from Gaia Project, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you are going to steal, you may as well steal from the best.

Playd both games with only 3 people, and I definitely both games would benefit from 4.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got a TI game in. Won due to early timeout as the Barony. Had the Vote-Control Birds, Ship-Hostage Dinos, and Super-Diplomat-Space-Wanderers as enemies.

We wrapped up in turn 7 with either myself or the Vote-Control Birds probably going to hit ten points next turn.

Last time I played was probably... seven years ago? when I was just getting into board games. It is really crazy how much of a difference good game sense and practice with basic averages can make in a complicated game like that. I went from my first experience as a hopeless-dead last to a solid shot at first (and sure I could probably repeat with some success) without even playing the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Games went well and I really enjoyed both games I played today.

I don't think we messed up any rules in FFO. I eeked out a single point victory with a score of 128 focusing on income early (grabbed Iceland) early on and transitioning to filling in all possible spaces on my main board & Iceland with some supplemental emigration. The second place player got 127 points going all in on emigration. Even though this is my first time playing the game, I've read this thread to remember there's been talk of emigration seeming incredibly powerful to newer players. I imagine as groups get more experienced everyone wants to do a little emigrating so it becomes harder for any one person to monopolize the space?

Emigrating can be a good late games point engine if no one contests it and you already have boats, but it's pretty expensive strategy to plan for over all because of the meeple investment and resource/opportunity cost of getting boats, giving up boats, and other actions you could be getting. Good job on grabbing an island first game, a lot of people get paralyzed by the negative spaces on the home board and feeling like they'll never be able to fill it, but the game really ramps up in stuff it throws at you in rounds 6 and 7 so you can do a lot more than you realize.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Emigration also got a lot less important with Norwegians as all the extra islands means there’s a lot more to do with your stuff late game. Once you figured out the basics of the base game it wasn’t too hard to end up in a situation where you had a bunch of actions left and no boards to fill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Emigrating can be a good late games point engine if no one contests it and you already have boats, but it's pretty expensive strategy to plan for over all because of the meeple investment and resource/opportunity cost of getting boats, giving up boats, and other actions you could be getting. Good job on grabbing an island first game, a lot of people get paralyzed by the negative spaces on the home board and feeling like they'll never be able to fill it, but the game really ramps up in stuff it throws at you in rounds 6 and 7 so you can do a lot more than you realize.

To illustrate this point: in one game I bought Newfoundland in round 6 and filled it without losing points on my home board.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's actually hilarious how even a half baked engine can fill up the home board relatively easily in the last few round.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

It feels like filling the home board completely isn't very efficient. You're better off getting islands and extra buildings, and just trying to fill the negatives on the home board.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

While we're deep in Odin-Chat

Megasabin - You can fit all of Odin + Norwegians + Expansions into the one box.

Here's how I arranged my containers:

I can post a breakdown of how my box is setup if you want.

Just keep all the original Odin tiles in the Norwegians box.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

medchem posted:

It feels like filling the home board completely isn't very efficient. You're better off getting islands and extra buildings, and just trying to fill the negatives on the home board.

Yes and no; being able to use big chonky pieces like upgraded cows and the like is a severe benefit, along with giant pillaged tiles that often are very hard to fit on islands. And the income, of course.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

medchem posted:

As an inexperienced FFO player can you break this statement down for me. At face value I'm having a hard time telling what you mean because when I look at the home board, it's about 55-60% negatives. So when you say it's only worth filling in the negatives, do you mean basically ignoring the lower left of the board (Income level 1-5 & all 5 bonuses) and just grabbing Islands early on instead?

If this is what you mean, how early are you grabbing a new island? Are you at least covering up enough to secure 2 income or not even bothering with that? Do you feel any bonuses on the home board are worth it?

Infinitum posted:

Thanks! I actually have an organizer that fits everything into a pretty compact set of trays. It probably halves the table space and allf its in the base game box. I do appreciate you being helpful with that info though!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Megasabin posted:

As an inexperienced FFO player can you break this statement down for me. At face value I'm having a hard time telling what you mean because when I look at the home board, it's about 55-60% negatives. So when you say it's only worth filling in the negatives, do you mean basically ignoring the lower left of the board (Income level 1-5 & all 5 bonuses) and just grabbing Islands early on instead?

If this is what you mean, how early are you grabbing a new island? Are you at least covering up enough to secure 2 income or not even bothering with that? Do you feel any bonuses on the home board are worth it?

Thanks! I actually have an organizer that fits everything into a pretty compact set of trays. It probably halves the table space and allf its in the base game box. I do appreciate you being helpful with that info though!

(not my statement but I often feel that way, though I actually filled in my homeboard in my most recent play)

The idea is you completely ignore the lower left except usually putting a 2x2 (upgrade your beans a couple times, get a milk and upgrade it, hunt for a 2x3 and use that a little inefficiently). Get islands/houses, fill those, get bonus tiles, use them to fill in more islands/houses, repeat, pillage or whale or animal husband some big pieces and slap them on your negatives at the end to cover most of them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anyone got recommendation for some two player board games my fiance and I can play?

Also accepting any tips on how to find Quacks of Quedlinberg that isn't hella overpriced because that game rules.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Patchwork, or just both learn Go and never play another game.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Anyone got recommendation for some two player board games my fiance and I can play?

Also accepting any tips on how to find Quacks of Quedlinberg that isn't hella overpriced because that game rules.

https://www.cmyk.games/products/the-quacks-of-quedlinburg

Pre-order it from CMYK Games. Also they have The Alchemists expansion on pre-order.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Since it just got brought up a few pages ago, Fugitive.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like what skill level are you aiming for?

The Mind
Calico
Codenames Duet
Hanabi

Deathlove posted:

Since it just got brought up a few pages ago, Fugitive.

:hfive:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I second Calico, I play it with my wife and its a great little game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Codenames Duet is excellent, if you are up for a cooperative word game. It's a variation on a popular game called Codenames. If you're not familiar with the original, I talked about the base game at length in this post. A video on how to play Codenames Duet is here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I second Calico, I play it with my wife and its a great little game.

I gotta remember to grab the Promo Cards at some point, so I can get the dumbass that is Shop Cat

hello dumbass, please do okay

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think it's Bottom Liner who has a solid list of 2p, but the favorites in our house in no particular order are:

Battle Line
Jaipur
Patchwork
Codenames: Duet
Dominion (not just 2p)
Targi
Res Arcana (with the expansion) (not just 2p)
Lost Cities (any of them, but Rivals and the board game are "better" than the original)
Fox in the Forest (and Fox in the Forest Duet)
Imhotep (not just 2p) (and Imhotep Duel, which IS just 2p)
Any of the "Clever" roll-and-write games (Ganz schön clever/That's Pretty Clever, Doppelt So Clever/Twice as Clever, Clever Hoch Drei/Clever Cubed) (not just 2p)

homullus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 28, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ticket to Ride
Race for the Galaxy <- personal recommendation
Terraforming Mars
Jaipur
7 Wonders: Duel
Roll for the Galaxy
Sushi Go
Lost Cities

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh rad, patchwork was one I was looking at so Ill grab that at some point! These are all excellent recommendations that Im gonna look into! Calico and Fugitive are now high on my "payday impulse purchase" list now as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Oh rad, patchwork was one I was looking at so Ill grab that at some point! These are all excellent recommendations that Im gonna look into! Calico and Fugitive are now high on my "payday impulse purchase" list now as well.

Patchwork Express is also good and miiight be better than Patchwork. It definitely offers a more focused, essential "Patchwork" experience.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I find that the home board is very expensive early on, but really pays off in mid/late game.

I usually secure 2 income as you said, then it's up to whatever occupation I drew, which islands are available and what kind of engine I can build without being too contested. Unlocking the beer tile doesn't cost much if you already have 2 income and I think a lot of players underestimate bonus red tiles, as they help a lot with feasting and can save you several vikings over the course of the game. While the homeboard's income/tiles ratio is way worse than most of the islands until 7 income or so, a strategy focusing on the homeboard can still get a strong income by turn 5. The homeboard also gives you wood, stone and ore, which helps a lot with a longhouse strategy since you usually want to hit that juicy 4V longhouse+knarr action. And of course, you don't have to explore as often as other players, which means you can secure other important actions.

One of my best games was an animal intensive engine with a "filled" isle of man at the end of turn 2, buying sheep turn 3 then just filling up the homeboard with big tiles. With 2 stones and 1 wood as a bonus, I was able to grab several longhouses and an emigration while other players were still scrambling to explore/fill their second island.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you want an alternative to Patchwork, in a similar vein, add New York Zoo to your research list. I own it and I love popping it out as a quick 30min filler game.

Animal meeples! :swoon:

My single complaint is that the player boards are wafer thin, other than that it's rocks.
It's also by Feast of Odin designer, Uwe Rosenburg, and that dude knows his tetrominoes :v:

As an alternative alternative, check out Barenpark

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Best 2p games

Small box/fast/simple:

BattleCon
Battle Line
Patchwork
Tak
Santorini
Jaipur
Fox in the Forest
Air Land & Sea
Watergate
7 Wonders Duel
Targi
Onitama

Big/longer 2p games
Tash Kalar
Star Wars Rebellion
Twilight Struggle
Antike Duellum
Blue Moon
Battlelore

Uwe did patchwork too, and it’s still the best Tetris game by a mile. None of the others can compete with the time and button economy balance that makes the game so good.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 28, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Very surprised you lot haven't busted out Spirit Island as a recommendation yet :v:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

silvergoose posted:

What did you predict?

Artreides turn 4. I noticed I always predicted too late, so went quite early, and then formed an alliance with the guild that would let me make a show of spending all my money to try and take 3 strongholds at once on turn 3. One of them I made a mutual destruction, and the other, the emperor tried to use artillery and his sardaukar, but I played to them from the holy Balliset of somebullshit as was prophesied! (Used a worthless card as karama) to cancel the double strength, which meant it was also a mutual loss. Her Fremen ally could just walk on in to both the empty strongholds, and then arrakeen the harkonen defended well, but I made them pay severely, leaving it super weak to Atreides invasion next turn.

Because I had clearly used all our alliances resources, it didn't seem shifty that I couldn't stop them next turn, and the Harkonen / Emperor alliance had just used everything to clear me off. Lovely.

Played Cthulu: Death May Die yesterday, and had a right blast! In our first game, we IMMEDIATELY caught on fire and got lept on by a whole host of horrible terrible things and died really before we'd even started. We set up again though, and our second game was amazing.

Taking out a few cultists, we started investigating the burning university. I came across a caged monkey, which I freed, and took as a pet. My wife started wrecking the labs, but once again garnered the attention of some fire vampires. Luckily on destroying the lab it exploded and took out all the aggressors. I found some bleach and she some ammonia, which we could combine to form a powerful bomb!

I starting going quite mad, but my wife was kept from going insane by her dog companion. I begun shooting my way to the stairs, whereupon my character decided to rip the hand off my monkey to enchant my shotgun, although it was quite the fight getting it off the poor bugger.

I started firing wildly down the staircase with my magic shotgun and cleared the basement of a star spawn and a bunch more cultists, giving my wife the clearance to head down and smash up the last of the labs, and break the summoning ritual. Cthulu duly appeared and started to beat the tar out of her.

Retreating to a safe distance, we tossed the bleach bomb at it, firing wildly the whole time. In a last ditch attempt, my wife ran headlong into Cthulu's final form, taking him down to one life, but losing hers in the process.

With my monkey blood anointed shotgun it was an but impossible for me to miss, and I landed the killing blow with a hail of bullets down a burning corridor. It drove me quite insane, and I'm sure I burnt up with the rest of the labs, but our work was done.

What's so great is, like Arkham horror you get mythos cards and investigation cards. They're really thematic and cool, but because they're different decks per adventure, it's really likely you get ones that reference others. hence us finding both components of the bomb, and me freeing a monkey then tearing its hand off as two separate event cards drawn.

The fact that we died exactly the turn we killed Cthulu felt really awesome, and the whole thing only took about an hour.

Oh poo poo that's such a long post, sorry

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Infinitum posted:

If you want an alternative to Patchwork, in a similar vein, add New York Zoo to your research list. I own it and I love popping it out as a quick 30min filler game.

As an alternative alternative, check out Barenpark

New York Zoo is AWESOME and I love the penguin meeples.

I didn't like Barenpark until I added the expansion to it. Those monorails really make the game shine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

!Klams posted:

Artreides turn 4. I noticed I always predicted too late, so went quite early, and then formed an alliance with the guild that would let me make a show of spending all my money to try and take 3 strongholds at once on turn 3. One of them I made a mutual destruction, and the other, the emperor tried to use artillery and his sardaukar, but I played to them from the holy Balliset of somebullshit as was prophesied! (Used a worthless card as karama) to cancel the double strength, which meant it was also a mutual loss. Her Fremen ally could just walk on in to both the empty strongholds, and then arrakeen the harkonen defended well, but I made them pay severely, leaving it super weak to Atreides invasion next turn.

Because I had clearly used all our alliances resources, it didn't seem shifty that I couldn't stop them next turn, and the Harkonen / Emperor alliance had just used everything to clear me off. Lovely.

I've never played Dune but stories like this are fascinating to me, thanks for writing it out!

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Food chain magnate

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

1) read the latest posts
2) meerkat meeples
3) instantly order New York Zoo

I hate this thread.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eraflure posted:

1) read the latest posts
2) meerkat meeples
3) instantly order New York Zoo

I hate this thread.

The best thing about New York Zoo is that it unintentionally has a bit of black comedy going on.

Every time you fill am enclosure you get to add an attraction to your zoo, and clear off the animals.
So you end up turning animals into hot dog stands :v:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Played Nemesis over the weekend because my friend finally got his carnomorph and medic expansions in from the Lockdown kickstarter. He then pulled the medic in the character draft and near the end as we were all prepping to escape, he not only refused to heal me but stopped me from healing myself with an interrupt. That made it clear his objective was for me to die, and I had drawn too many corruption cards to escape myself before the ship self-destructed. So I followed him into a room with an alien that had spawned on him, and used my mutation a fourth time, killing myself and turning my corpse into a second alien to try to kill him when he fled. He still managed to survive and make it to an escape pod.

Now we're doing the Nemesis Untold Stories comic book coop campaign and his scientist is the only one to survive both missions so far. He's lucky I don't hold a grudge as I could have left him to die in the second one. Now we're at the start of the third mission, his scientist near death at two serious wounds. He wants to try to make it through the whole campaign. If I roll the medic as my replacement character I don't think I'll be able to resist getting payback.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

The best thing about New York Zoo is that it unintentionally has a bit of black comedy going on.

Every time you fill am enclosure you get to add an attraction to your zoo, and clear off the animals.
So you end up turning animals into hot dog stands :v:

:airquote:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

I wouldn't say no to an Odin box setup post if it's on offer. I'm still waiting for the base game to arrive (hurry up with this reprint already!) but it's good to be prepared and know what I'm working with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Redundant posted:

I wouldn't say no to an Odin box setup post if it's on offer. I'm still waiting for the base game to arrive (hurry up with this reprint already!) but it's good to be prepared and know what I'm working with.

I made one earlier in the thread, with photos.

E: it's on page 74 if you filter for my posts only.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Mind you, I think I'm just ok at the game, but I've played it probably 15-20 times.

As others days, only fill in part of the bottom part for some quick income early. Then, it's more efficient to grab an island or building if you want to increase income rather than trying to get income from the home board.

Islands also have better bonuses usually than the home board. I haven't really broken down what's the best bonus for the buck, but I'm pretty sure it's on the Islands or probably a custom building if you have the expansion.

As far as when to grab islands, I think it depends on the island. Some islands are made to be taken early and used for a quick income and bonus engine. Other islands are just point bonanzas that are probably cheaper later when you have more workers and when those islands maybe have some extra money on them to grab.

Another thing about islands and buildings is that most of them are net positive points unlike your home board. I usually don't have enough tiles to fill everything, so I just end up filling as many negative spots as possible. Also, filling buildings is easier because you can dump your red and orange tiles in there. It's more efficient to do that than to upgrade those red and orange tiles to green or blue to try and get them on your home board.

Basically, I just notice that people who put a lot of effort upgrading stuff to fill out the home board could have either filled out more lucrative islands or just not upgrade as much as fill buildings. I think it's the theme of the Viking culture that shines through. It's better to go to other lands or to build buildings than to just dump your crap in a big field :)