Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have a question about how getting your floor replaced actually.. works. Do the people you hire to do the with rejoice the old floor, then replace it with the new, one room at a time? Or is it more like remove all the old flooring and then install from there? My partner and I are contemplating having our first floor flooring replaced, and I'm just wondering about the logistics.

This might be a "it just depends on who does it" question, but ah well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Most flooring installation companies won't touch anything below the sub-floor.

If you need structural stuff done you'll need to find a company that does that.

If its just the cosmetic flooring, the companies will do the removal, they'll just charge extra.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They will also happily charge you for furniture moving, etc as well so save yourself some money and do it yourself if able.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

devmd01 posted:

They will also happily charge you for furniture moving, etc as well so save yourself some money and do it yourself if able.

Yeah that's why I'm contemplating it now, while my house is basically devoid of any furniture.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Most flooring installation companies won't touch anything below the sub-floor.

If you need structural stuff done you'll need to find a company that does that.

If its just the cosmetic flooring, the companies will do the removal, they'll just charge extra.

Definitely just cosmetic, as far as I'm aware. I'm asking like, how is it done procedurally, if that makes sense. One room at a time, or just tear up the entire thing then go from there, or some chaos third option that I don't even know about.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah that's why I'm contemplating it now, while my house is basically devoid of any furniture.

Definitely just cosmetic, as far as I'm aware. I'm asking like, how is it done procedurally, if that makes sense. One room at a time, or just tear up the entire thing then go from there, or some chaos third option that I don't even know about.

Start from both ends of the house and meet in the middle :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Start from both ends of the house and meet in the middle :getin:

Start one side in metric, and one side in imperial too right? :doit:

I guess my question isn't really that important now that I think about it- I'm mostly wondering like, how long would I have a floor-less kitchen, or how long would my dumb little cattes have to deal with construction. I'm sure they'd want to help :cabot:

Catte tax:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Put your pets in a kennel if you're getting an entire home done because it won't be done in a single day, I don't care what the company claims.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My one day solar install ended up being two twelve hour days for the team of three who should have been four. At least they rerouted the conduit for for the utility access panels to not be all the way around the outside of the house. My experience of these thing has been that the salesman/project manager will promise one day but are no longer involved by the time the guys are on site doing the work.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

My one day solar install ended up being two twelve hour days for the team of three who should have been four. At least they rerouted the conduit for for the utility access panels to not be all the way around the outside of the house. My experience of these thing has been that the salesman/project manager will promise one day but are no longer involved by the time the guys are on site doing the work.

I recently had my windows done and a 3 day job quickly became an 11 day one. Good thing I was at home anyway due to the pandemic and didn't have to blow all my vacation time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jimong5 posted:

I recently had my windows done and a 3 day job quickly became an 11 day one. Good thing I was at home anyway due to the pandemic and didn't have to blow all my vacation time.

My parents made the mistake of hiring Window World to replace their windows back in 2017 and those fuckers never finished the job. Just left on day 14 of a job that sales said would only take 3 and never came back, and the person answering the local office number gave my mom endless runarounds about why they weren't there finishing the job.

I had to help my dad finish it (at least the materials were still in the yard, but we still had to clean that poo poo up, plus all of our personal time and effort doing the job they were being paid to do, etc.).

They had the loving nerve to send a collection letter for the second half of the job's cost to my mom during the pandemic and she sent a bunch of pictures back that she took of us having to do the work. Then she got a letter stating that they were "forgiving" the cost of the job (which was another "gently caress you" because of how that affects taxes).

Never loving ever hire a company that runs ads on old people TV channels.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone else have like 4"x5" gutter downspouts? I can't seem to find any extensions that fit this size to divert the water and prevent it from creating big divots near the house

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Omne posted:

Anyone else have like 4"x5" gutter downspouts? I can't seem to find any extensions that fit this size to divert the water and prevent it from creating big divots near the house

Something like this wouldn't work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-Low-Profile-Catch-Basin-Downspout-Extension-4700/303522225

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Jimong5 posted:

My parents made the mistake of hiring Window World to replace their windows back in 2017 and those fuckers never finished the job. Just left on day 14 of a job that sales said would only take 3 and never came back, and the person answering the local office number gave my mom endless runarounds about why they weren't there finishing the job.

As someone who just signed a contract last week for re-windowing my entire house at ~40k and got told it would take 2-4 days, this is making me very nervous!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Best get your screen name on standby to supervise.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

That's likely what I'll end up with, at least in a few places, but won't quite work for a few areas

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Comrade Gritty posted:

As someone who just signed a contract last week for re-windowing my entire house at ~40k and got told it would take 2-4 days, this is making me very nervous!

If it's just a retrofit/replacement of current window encasements, 2-4 days is about right. A good 2 man crew takes 30min-hour per window. (Also, $40k is a lot of windows - Mine was like 8 retrofit windows for $5k done in 1 day)

If you're going down to the studs/brick, then it'll take a lot longer than 30-1h as the windows are one part, then rebuilding the interior walls around the windows takes more fun times (and a different crew usually).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i said i'd never buy a house with a pool.
i SAID i'd never buy a house with a pool.

and yet here we are.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A pool in summer-ready condition too I see!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

they say this won't take long to fix.

and i have politely explained to the man that this is the last money he's getting out of me, so if the pool continues to lose water after having the drain and beam redone either he will be fixing it gratis or i will be finding someone else.

stupid pool has cost me $11,000 since i moved in. though a good chunk of that was i chose to redo all the filter equipment with cutting edge stuff and a salt cell.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is owning an in-ground pool basically like owning a boat (except without the handy "Break Out Another Thousand" acronym for the joke)?

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

unknown posted:

If it's just a retrofit/replacement of current window encasements, 2-4 days is about right. A good 2 man crew takes 30min-hour per window. (Also, $40k is a lot of windows - Mine was like 8 retrofit windows for $5k done in 1 day)

If you're going down to the studs/brick, then it'll take a lot longer than 30-1h as the windows are one part, then rebuilding the interior walls around the windows takes more fun times (and a different crew usually).

Yea, they're not going down to the studs, we're replacing 40 windows, including 2 large half round window (which are apparently ~2k/ea because, according to the salesman, "the factory can charge that much, so they do"), and about 20 or so of those windows are "oversized", which I guess makes them cost more. Also included is replacing two sliding glass doors.

We bought this house about 6.5 years ago, and the windows that were installed by the builders are part of some class action law suit for failing early, but the settlement for that law suit is basically they would come and reseal the windows (without replacing the argon or anything) at a cost of $450 per window. The PO already did that for two windows, both of which are failing again, and about 60-70% of the windows in the house are currently failing with condensation and rust between the panes of glass. We weren't very keen on paying 12-15k to have these windows resealed, particularly when two of them already were and are failing again, and we figured by the time we're at 60+% of the windows needing to be replaced, we might as well just replace them all at that point to avoid having random windows look/act/be different.

The company was very highly rated, and had good references, so hopefully it all goes well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is owning an in-ground pool basically like owning a boat (except without the handy "Break Out Another Thousand" acronym for the joke)?

the house is a metaphorical hole in the ground i throw money into

the pool is far more literal.

but it should be fine after this. should be.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Real question, no snark: given how much you've spent and how you didn't want one in the first place, did you consider just filling it in?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I looked at places with pools but the cost vs use I would get from it didn’t add up. So I got a hot tub and just turn the heat down and use gallon jugs full of ice to keep it cool in the summer. Then when it starts getting cooler in the fall out it back up to 104.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Omne posted:

Real question, no snark: given how much you've spent and how you didn't want one in the first place, did you consider just filling it in?

nah, i liked it once i had it. it's good to hang around in and drink with friends on the weekends.

hence my choice to significantly upgrade the filter and chlorine system.

i'm coming around to it, but this leak repair has been a pain in the rear end. much like a boat, the best pool is someone else's.

edit:
but it wasn't until i was floating around on an inner tube with a whiskey sour in my hand that i looked at the house and finally felt like it was all mine.

"it's technically the bank's!" "shut up, brain."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Was the filter and chlorine upgrade the cause of the current problem?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Previous Owner's Openly Laughing

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Comrade Gritty posted:

Yea, they're not going down to the studs, we're replacing 40 windows, including 2 large half round window (which are apparently ~2k/ea because, according to the salesman, "the factory can charge that much, so they do"), and about 20 or so of those windows are "oversized", which I guess makes them cost more. Also included is replacing two sliding glass doors.

We bought this house about 6.5 years ago, and the windows that were installed by the builders are part of some class action law suit for failing early, but the settlement for that law suit is basically they would come and reseal the windows (without replacing the argon or anything) at a cost of $450 per window. The PO already did that for two windows, both of which are failing again, and about 60-70% of the windows in the house are currently failing with condensation and rust between the panes of glass. We weren't very keen on paying 12-15k to have these windows resealed, particularly when two of them already were and are failing again, and we figured by the time we're at 60+% of the windows needing to be replaced, we might as well just replace them all at that point to avoid having random windows look/act/be different.

The company was very highly rated, and had good references, so hopefully it all goes well.

Window chat! I just bought a condo. At least 2 of the panes have bad condensation and fog between the panes. Of course it wasn't that bad when my inspector was here and I didn't notice til after closing.

That's just counting bottom panes, most of the upper ones are looking pretty crusty.

I'm considering just living with windows that aren't perfectly clear instead of paying for replacement :-/

The windows/building are ~15 years old.

Crap photo of windows in question, the broken seal one is on the right:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
New windows are amazing. I got Milgard vinyl windows installed, nothing fancy, and despite

melting the city into goo, I got this from the electric company

For using less electricity than I usually do!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
:hellyeah:

Work finally started on the porch/deck today. Framing is moving along nicely.

The main guy at the contractor is kind of a dumbass... who'd a thunk, him being the guy who doesn't know how to figure out which way north is on a map, which caused a 4 week delay because the city had to approve swapping dimensions. Just this morning, "Oh, looks like you don't have an outlet on your existing deck, code says we'll have to add one." Sure, you mean like the several I asked you to quote me? So unless his foremen actually read the estimate then I'm going to have to manage these guys a lot.

also lmao the guys doing the framing brought a microwave. Like, full on counter-top microwave. Gotta have a hot lunch, I guess!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

but it should be fine after this. should be.

You are aware you have to re-plaster gunnite pools every 7-10 year, right? This wasn't done, which is why it looks the way it looks and leaks. It's an ongoing expense, just like the chemicals and upkeep of the mechanicals.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

:hellyeah:

Work finally started on the porch/deck today. Framing is moving along nicely.

The main guy at the contractor is kind of a dumbass... who'd a thunk, him being the guy who doesn't know how to figure out which way north is on a map, which caused a 4 week delay because the city had to approve swapping dimensions. Just this morning, "Oh, looks like you don't have an outlet on your existing deck, code says we'll have to add one." Sure, you mean like the several I asked you to quote me? So unless his foremen actually read the estimate then I'm going to have to manage these guys a lot.

also lmao the guys doing the framing brought a microwave. Like, full on counter-top microwave. Gotta have a hot lunch, I guess!

10 weeks in still haven't heard form my patio guy who has been here 4 times already(if he was to be believed when he tells me when he'll be here). I'm 4 days away from telling him to send back my deposit and I'll call someoen else to get on their list for next year.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Inner Light posted:

Window chat! I just bought a condo. At least 2 of the panes have bad condensation and fog between the panes. Of course it wasn't that bad when my inspector was here and I didn't notice til after closing.

I'm considering just living with windows that aren't perfectly clear instead of paying for replacement :-/

Depending on your condo association, you might not have the option! Be sure to talk with them first.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Was the filter and chlorine upgrade the cause of the current problem?

No, it was just getting old, the pump started to screech a bit.

This was a leak in the tile line.

Which it turns out the previous owner had put over another tile line as a patch.

So now I'm resurfacing my pool.

gently caress.

Motronic posted:

You are aware you have to re-plaster gunnite pools every 7-10 year, right? This wasn't done, which is why it looks the way it looks and leaks. It's an ongoing expense, just like the chemicals and upkeep of the mechanicals.

hey, guess what I agreed to do today!

also i've lived here 6 months get off my back :(

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That Tom Hanks classic "The Money Pit" wasn't a comedy, it was a documentary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

hey, guess what I agreed to do today!

also i've lived here 6 months get off my back :(

My point is, and why I responded to your post, that is will not be "fine after this", it's an ongoing maintenance pit and it wasn't clear if you were aware of this particular part of it. It's a very significant expense and if you don't do it before it needs doing you risk damaging things and increasing the bill.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

My point is, and why I responded to your post, that is will not be "fine after this", it's an ongoing maintenance pit and it wasn't clear if you were aware of this particular part of it. It's a very significant expense and if you don't do it before it needs doing you risk damaging things and increasing the bill.

then i will set a time for 7-10 years to do this again.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tricky Ed posted:

Depending on your condo association, you might not have the option! Be sure to talk with them first.

They don't seem to give a crap, the residents talk about it on our forum, all units have some issues with the original windows fogging. It's not so dramatic that it's visible from outside the building, it's just annoying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

in 7-10 years we'll all be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of