Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1408571336063164418

im really starting to get worried about tim shorrock first he uncritically joins in on calling american media racist for not circulating a completely made up quote from the daily chosun about the atlanta shooting and now hes cackling about literally nonexistent tankies

Shorrock has always had some bad takes. I like him, but I've got disagreements. I don't think he's going in any weird direction recently though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao a GBS china thread poster got banned for being a pedo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is your child safe? Learn the warning signs of a predator:

- Predilection for posting Winnie the Pooh memes, a cartoon figure that children like.

- Claims they have "no problem" with a people, but dislikes their chosen government. (The government is responsible for age of consent laws)

- Use of the term 'tankie', a slur on non pedo adults.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

rest in power

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

are all of my posting enemies pedophiles? of course not. is it reasonable to assume that all of my posting enemies are pedophiles, due to forums evidence? yes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.newsweek.com/china-slams-slow-miami-condo-collapse-response-lack-accountability-1604527

when you are right you are right. china would have digged all the bodies out already and made a new building by now

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't blame them. They still have a whole block of building that can collapse any time. But China would have mobilized 20 diggers and take down the remaining building block in 24 hours, and you get a drone montage video.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol i went in there to check and it's still full of absolutely wretched beings. just sad stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Philippines mourns 'Noynoy' Aquino, a man who actually beat China

quote:

But posterity will remember Aquino as the strong one. How else is one to describe a president whose anti-graft reforms won Manila its first-ever investment-grade ratings and produced the fastest growth since the 1970s? Aquino took China to an international court for its territorial land grabs in the South China Sea -- and won -- only to see Duterte cozy up to Beijing.

I do not mean to sanctify Aquino. He should have done more to create tens of millions of good-paying jobs. His legacy is marred, too, by a botched 2015 domestic terrorism raid that killed 44 commandos and some civilians.

Yet the about-face in global perceptions on Aquino's watch was sharp. As Floyd Whaley, a longtime Manila-based journalist and New York Times alum, put it: "Before Aquino, the Philippines was a narrow story -- political unrest and corruption. During his time, foreign reporters covered culture, the economy, tourism, etc. After he left, it became a one-story country again."

Aquino's wins now face the truly frightening specter of the Marcos family returning to the presidential palace. Duterte has favored replacing the vice president with Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. Until 2019, his mom, Imelda, was a House lawmaker. Bongbong's sister Imee is a senator.

Generally, Duterte is thought to favor his daughter Sara to replace him next year, creating his own family dynasty -- and perhaps shield him from the consequences of his ultrabloody war on drugs. Or Marcos Jr.

Neither outcome seems optimal for an economy that was on such an incredible roll from 2010 to 2016. Add in boxing icon Manny Pacquiao and suffice it to say that Manila's political establishment will be ready to rumble in a big way in 2022. The real blows, though, may be to the nation's standing as an investment destination.

We journalists often pretzel ourselves in the struggle to maintain objectivity over those we cover. For me, that was always difficult where Benigno Aquino was concerned. I was an unabashed fan. It was not the politician I cheered, though, but the 108 million people on whose behalf Aquino was working to exorcize one live ghost at a time.

William Pesek is an award-winning Tokyo-based journalist and author of "Japanization: What the World Can Learn from Japan's Lost Decades."

Aquino dying at this exact moment that he did basically means he gets a fawning historiography forever and ever because all of it is going to be written under the spectre of "BUT DUTERTE WAS WORSE"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

crepeface posted:

lol i went in there to check and it's still full of absolutely wretched beings. just sad stuff.

they got incredibly defensive when somebody asked about it lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stole this from the covid thread, insanely racist subtext/subtitle to this article lol

exactly what I was talking about, Chinese is now coded as pathological liar - even some nerdy scientist in Wuhan is going to be assumed to lie and toe the party line I guess?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ronpaulitshappening.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAC2umTU-9c

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Aquino dying at this exact moment that he did basically means he gets a fawning historiography forever and ever because all of it is going to be written under the spectre of "BUT DUTERTE WAS WORSE"

I have never heard of the Mamasapano clash, I read the whole wiki article and could not figure out how did 44 elite police force got killed by some rebel groups which only lost 18 on their side? I look at the location picture and it's just a flat farm field. Did the Philippines government not have any air coverage or just some big offroad vehicles cover them?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have never heard of the Mamasapano clash, I read the whole wiki article and could not figure out how did 44 elite police force got killed by some rebel groups which only lost 18 on their side? I look at the location picture and it's just a flat farm field. Did the Philippines government not have any air coverage or just some big offroad vehicles cover them?

Alan Purisima, the director of the Philippine National Police at the time, was suspended from duty in December of 2014 over a graft investigation, so he wasn't supposed to be serving in any capacity at the time

regardless, he was still nominally in charge of the Mamasapano operation when it was executed on January 2015, but in order to cover their tracks, neither the PNP Deputy Director nor Mar Roxas* were informed that the operation was about to go off/was in progress

they actually did pull off the operation as far as getting to Zulkifli bin Hir, alias Marwan, and shoot and kill him in an encounter as he tries to escape - the operation turned into a fiasco when Moro separatists engaged a force that was supposed to cover the egress of the troopers from the region

because they were conducting this operation in secret from much of the rest of the military and the Executive (the PNP's SAF is a police force, even, not a military outfit), there both wasn't a plan in place to provide support from the Philippine military, nor was there sufficient coordination with leadership within the Moro separatists that could have gotten them to work out a cease-fire that much sooner

so yeah, there was no air support, they couldn't get armored units to the area due to the terrain, and there was no nearby reserve. It's like if Obama tried to pull off the bin Laden operation when only he and McChrystal knew about it, and AFTER McChrystal was technically no longer a commander of US forces in Afghanistan, which meant that the only troops they could commit and fight with were the ones they sent in, because asking for more mid-mission would have meant everyone else knowing about a conspiracy within the government

https://www.rappler.com/nation/timeline-mamasapano-clash

___

* Roxas was Aquino's running mate in 2010 and ran as his Vice President, but he lost (the Philippines elects the President and Vice President separately). Roxas was later appointed to serve on Aquino's cabinet as the Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government, which gives him executive oversight on the police.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thank you. Sound like a cluster gently caress. I have more to say about the SCS court ruling. But I think I said this before in this thread.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Thank you. Sound like a cluster gently caress. I have more to say about the SCS court ruling. But I think I said this before in this thread.

speaking of the SCS court ruling!

Hontiveros pushes for ‘National West Philippine Sea Victory Day’ on July 12

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Risa Hontiveros has filed a resolution declaring July 12 of every year as the “National West Philippine Sea Victory Day”.

Under the Senate Resolution No. 762, Hontiveros said the declaration is in commemoration of the Philippines’ triumph before the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) and to honor the efforts of late President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III in “securing a landmark legal victory upholding the country’s sovereign rights over the West Philippine Sea.”

“Considering the unresolved territorial dispute between the Philippines and China, and the presence of Chinese vessels in Panatag Shoal and other parts of the West Philippine Sea, which continue to threaten and harass Filipino fisherfolk and prevent them from exercising their traditional fishing rights in the area, it is essential that the spirit of the country’s landmark victory in The Hague be kept alive in the hearts of our people through a special day of remembrance and other related activities,” Hontiveros said in the resolution.

In a separate statement, Hontiveros called Aquino, who recently passed away and laid to rest on Saturday, as the “Father of our 2016 victory at the Hague.”

“If not for his unwavering commitment to put the Philippines first, we would not have been awarded a landmark legal decision in international law, which established our credibility in the global arena,” Hontiveros said.

“PNoy (President Noynoy) was a true patriot. Even when the Philippines was going against the Goliath that is China, he pursued the case merely on the principle that it was the right thing to do. He would often say ‘the Filipino is worth fighting for,’ and this particular fight is undisputed proof that he kept his word,” she added.

Hontiveros added that having a day to remember and celebrate this win is also a way to counter mis- and disinformation that deliberately diminishes the 2016 victory.

In 2013, the Philippines under the Aquino administration challenged in the Hague court China’s claim that it owned more than 80 percent of the South China Sea, which includes waters in the exclusive economic zones of Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Vietnam.

In 2016, two weeks after President Rodrigo Duterte assumed office, the tribunal ruled that China’s claim had no basis in international law and that it had violated the Philippines’ sovereign right to fish and explore resources in the West Philippine Sea, the waters within the country’s 370-km exclusive economic zone in the South China Sea.

China has consistently refused to acknowledge the 2016 ruling.

of loving course it's the SocDem senator that goes hard on woke nationalism

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gradenko_2000 posted:

im kinda confused cause as i understood it dont a lot of filipinos like duterte?

i mean my filipino coworkers aren't representative of everyone but all of them say they like duterte whenever i brought him up and that gang/drug related violence was really bad and duterte was needed. i didnt dig past that since yknow work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

im kinda confused cause as i understood it dont a lot of filipinos like duterte?

i mean my filipino coworkers aren't representative of everyone but all of them say they like duterte whenever i brought him up and that gang/drug related violence was really bad and duterte was needed. i didnt dig past that since yknow work.

you're technically correct in that Duterte has never polled lower than something like 75% in approval/trust rating surveys - I think he was in the low 90s in the last one before the pandemic, and he still get a good result in Sept 2020 because he actually got a little stimmy money out to folks

I guess what I mean is that the social media circles I inhabit are generally infested with liberals, so the last four days or so have been insufferably saccharine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/AskAKorean/status/1409512707179560968

this guys not tim shorrock obviously but still important enough that his going completely off the deep end is kind of disconcerting

the half dozen influential liberals on korea issues in the english language just going full on trump derangement syndrome in regards to south korean conservatives in a rapidly degenerating political situation you hate to see it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1409496213905420288

quote:

On Thursday, Ukraine pulled its name off the list of supporting states after Chinese authorities warned Kyiv that they would block a planned shipment of at least 500,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Ukraine unless it did so, said diplomats from two Western countries. The diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

how would they even know that this happened if they werent either ukrainian or chinese diplomats

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
More like President Comedic Actor (not trump) played nice with china because they got stabbed in the back by Biden's Nordsteam decision.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of the SCS court ruling!

Hontiveros pushes for ‘National West Philippine Sea Victory Day’ on July 12

of loving course it's the SocDem senator that goes hard on woke nationalism

I hate “mis- and disinformation”

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ukraine relying on China for vaccines seems like a major misstep by NATO countries in the first place. Isn't this a country they are supposed to be wooing?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

Ukraine relying on China for vaccines seems like a major misstep by NATO countries in the first place. Isn't this a country they are supposed to be wooing?

They have been attempting to woo it by sponsoring the nazi faction in a proxy war against Russia so it's not surprising the Ukrainians would seek a third option

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

the US is being really dumb. They really don't like "Chinese vaccine diplomacy" but they're also not willing to give up the goods

like, at best, they're willing to release some AstraZeneca and pay some money to COVAX, but they're not willing to directly send Pfizer to anyone (except maybe that one suitcase of doses to Trinidad and Tobago)

it's real fuckin' simple, folks: if you don't like Beijing getting to build goodwill and/or extract concessions from dumping planeloads of Sinovac and Sinopharm, then pony up the mRNA

you don't even have to lift IP restrictions! just drown a country in doses!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

the US is being really dumb. They really don't like "Chinese vaccine diplomacy" but they're also not willing to give up the goods

like, at best, they're willing to release some AstraZeneca and pay some money to COVAX, but they're not willing to directly send Pfizer to anyone (except maybe that one suitcase of doses to Trinidad and Tobago)

it's real fuckin' simple, folks: if you don't like Beijing getting to build goodwill and/or extract concessions from dumping planeloads of Sinovac and Sinopharm, then pony up the mRNA

you don't even have to lift IP restrictions! just drown a country in doses!

American politics is lobotomized by the idea that giving anything to the people is a political bribe, so you have to figure this mindset kicks up to the level of the state department.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Quad(tm) member Australia has a vaccine shortage as well. Don't even mention India

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
you don't need to give your allies things when you can be certain that the reactionary factions in said countries will sell their own people out for you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i mentioned to some chinese coworkers the other day that i read america is wasting vaccine doses, letting them expire and throwing them away, and a few of them looked at me with genuine shock and disgust lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

The Quad(tm) member Australia has a vaccine shortage as well. Don't even mention India

it's fine, almost 5% of us are vaccinated now

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

crepeface posted:

it's fine, almost 5% of us are vaccinated now

5%? drat australia wtf happened

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Western vaccine policy happened

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

fart simpson posted:

i mentioned to some chinese coworkers the other day that i read america is wasting vaccine doses, letting them expire and throwing them away, and a few of them looked at me with genuine shock and disgust lol

I can't believe people can still be shocked by this demon cracker nation.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Agrajag posted:

5%? drat australia wtf happened

Scott "the laziest cuntiest pm we've ever had" Morrison happened.

He was too busy bashing labor state govts that were managing the pandemic competently and using the intentionally slow as gently caress vaccination programme as a cudgel to attack anyone critical of his govt.

And now thanks to that oval office Sydney is under lockdown again and the delta covid strain has spread all over the nation.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

thatfatkid posted:

Scott "the laziest cuntiest pm we've ever had" Morrison happened.

He was too busy bashing labor state govts that were managing the pandemic competently and using the intentionally slow as gently caress vaccination programme as a cudgel to attack anyone critical of his govt.

And now thanks to that oval office Sydney is under lockdown again and the delta covid strain has spread all over the nation.

morrison didnt buy any vaccine or what?

i mean canada managed to do it without having any domestic manufacturing capacity

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
There's vaccines but the vaccination programme is arbitrarily slow and tiered to vaccinate only certain parts of the population at the time. Also its the individual persons responsibility to find out if they're eligible and then try and hunt down one of the intentionally hard to find vaccination location.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Nato is fundamentally anti russian thing although its trying to expand into anti-china too. Well trying being the key word here because almost everyone in the region gave that idea the cold shoulder.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Japan has deposited the instrument of acceptance of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (RCEP) to the Secretary-General of ASEAN.

President Xi and President Putin have met via video link for the second time this month. They agreed to extend the 20-year friendship treaty signed in 2001. A lot of strategic cooperation mechanisms and projects have been established under it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nato is fundamentally anti russian thing although its trying to expand into anti-china too. Well trying being the key word here because almost everyone in the region gave that idea the cold shoulder.

It's not like they don't want an anti-Chinese alliance either, they just don't want something like NATO where the United States gets to station their troops in-country and control their foreign policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

fart simpson posted:

from casual googling, we've easily tossed over 200k and we're on track of letting millions expire over the summer lol