Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I find swapping multi tools to be the bigger pain in the arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I've only been using my 3 S-Class tools for a day and I'm getting used to switching already. Tool 1 is my Experimental for scanning flora/fauna so I only use it when I land and scan everything in sight for cash. Then switch to the Pistol for mining and scanning for the rest of my visit, and the Alien for Scatter Blasting Sentinels and doors. So other than the first five minutes on a planet I'm back to only switching between two tools.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The_Doctor posted:

I find swapping multi tools to be the bigger pain in the arse.

Can't you hotkey different multi-tools now?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I only just thought about it but I'm going to see if the new DLSS .DLL that was found with Rainbow 6 works with NMS, I have to say I was kind of underwhelmed by the initial DLSS offering in VR/flatscreen.

Anyone else using DLSS, and what are your experiences? I'm usually playing @ 1440p, or VR, and the results aren't as great as other games in my experience

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

AirRaid posted:

Can't you hotkey different multi-tools now?

Not on the PlayStation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I was going to ask if there was a little hub where goons tried to build near or anything like that. I've seen planets and animals discovered by other players, but never naturally stumbled on any installations, but geez, even if I landed on a inhabited place, planets are so big how would I ever randomly bump into it. I read an article there was a group that established a sector of space they built, then a patch messed it up and they relocated.

Honestly kind of wish that was the post-game quest: Just build up civs, encourage players to congregate on worlds and try to build up separate towns and villages on the same surface. Build communal highways and structures Death Stranding style.

There are a few hubs and "civilizations" out there. They are mostly organized on reddit, I don't know of any goon specific ones. I have a base in creative mode on the capital system of the Galactic Hub Project, one of the largest civilizations, and my base is right next to a portal, so it's a fairly high trafficked area of the planet.

Unfortunately, the game does not handle several bases in close proximity to each other very well, especially large and elaborate ones. What happens is in a given session some bases will load and some won't, so it never really looks like a "city" even when a planet gets crowded. I did in fact built a road that went to my nearest neighbor's place, in that Death Stranding spirit, but that neighbor's base hasn't spawned for me since the last update. Usually there are about 5-20 visible player bases scattered around that capital planet, and it's the most crowded planet I saw until the expeditions.

edit: i just double checked some wikis and turns out the planet I was talking about is now the former capital. i have not yet visited the new one.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 28, 2021

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

forest spirit posted:

I only just thought about it but I'm going to see if the new DLSS .DLL that was found with Rainbow 6 works with NMS, I have to say I was kind of underwhelmed by the initial DLSS offering in VR/flatscreen.

Anyone else using DLSS, and what are your experiences? I'm usually playing @ 1440p, or VR, and the results aren't as great as other games in my experience

I'm not playing in VR, but using a 1440p monitor and RTX 3080. With DLSS on I'm getting 120-130FPS in Balanced, and about 100-110FPS in Quality mode. Noticeable dips down to 80 in Quality mode. With DLSS off it's anywhere from 80-100FPS.

PeePot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 28, 2021

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

The last expedition introduced me to just how loving wonky multiplayer is, especially on consoles. I don’t think I broke 20fps near any of the rendezvous points and bases took forever to fully load. Then again, that many players in one place is well outside the standard gameplay.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The thing about DLSS in this game is that quite a lot of the performance is reliant on the CPU keeping up, it’s not really that taxing to render for the GPU. So DLSS isn’t going to give you huge FPS boosts like you’d see in some other games, so long as you have a reasonably recent GPU. Which includes everything capable of utilising DLSS, really.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I love a lot of this game, but i just did my first derelict freighter and that was way more fun than i expected. Just set up my active indium farm so im not even worried about the 35mil for 3 frieghters.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Does the bug where you activate the beacon, then stick it in a portable refinery in your backpack while you land (and do the derelict) still work and let you keep the beacon?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DelphiAegis posted:

Does the bug where you activate the beacon, then stick it in a portable refinery in your backpack while you land (and do the derelict) still work and let you keep the beacon?

I haven't tried it since the Prisms update, but I know it was still working before that.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It worked the last time I tried it which I think was after the prisms update.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

ZombieCrew posted:

I love a lot of this game, but i just did my first derelict freighter and that was way more fun than i expected. Just set up my active indium farm so im not even worried about the 35mil for 3 frieghters.

What type of enemies did you face? They added some new types which i've found to be far more enjoyable than the normal ones haha.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Arghy posted:

What type of enemies did you face? They added some new types which i've found to be far more enjoyable than the normal ones haha.

The last one i did had horrific nests that spawned a bunch of small bugs all over when you shot them. There were also other bio things you could shoot for a bunch of living slime. The other two i did just had security robots and turrets. All were relatively easy with a scatter gun with no upgrades.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah the horrors one is hands down the best because living slime is literally nanites waiting to be refined and it's fun to shoot them all. The robots and turrets are boring as poo poo and don't really bring the horror aspect to exploring freighters.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Why does this game hate base building so much? Tried to make a big underwater farm on one of those cthulu planets and holy gently caress. Despite it being literally the same loving model you can't click normal base parts to aquatic base parts and the water will cut through your model making it look fugly unless you exactly line it up above the water. I just settled for having an underwater pad for my ship which apparently works. I just wanted to have a loving above water base seamlessly connect to an underwater base but no.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do I have to keep restoring the land I mine in order not to hit the terrain complexity limit? And if the land reconstructs itself, does that mean that terraforming land on my base is pointless?

Also I saved a freighter but it bugged out and I didn't get any offer or any kind of reward, or even any acknowledgement after they told me to come on board.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Argue posted:

Also I saved a freighter but it bugged out and I didn't get any offer or any kind of reward, or even any acknowledgement after they told me to come on board.
You can return to it later, systems always spawn same freighter once that battle mission happens (after some number of jumps, I think? or is it after few hours of playing?), but class might differ. (but you can just reload save and warp in again to get better class).

Arghy posted:

Why does this game hate base building so much? Tried to make a big underwater farm on one of those cthulu planets and holy gently caress. Despite it being literally the same loving model you can't click normal base parts to aquatic base parts and the water will cut through your model making it look fugly unless you exactly line it up above the water. I just settled for having an underwater pad for my ship which apparently works. I just wanted to have a loving above water base seamlessly connect to an underwater base but no.
Yeah, it's like there are 3 or 4 separate base building systems that are barely usable together.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I found using the small cuboid rooms to be effective for making a surface<->underwater passage. What sucks is the underwater structures refusing to be set down if so much as 1mm of the building would be above water.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Argue posted:

Do I have to keep restoring the land I mine in order not to hit the terrain complexity limit? And if the land reconstructs itself, does that mean that terraforming land on my base is pointless?

No to the former but effectively yes to the latter. There's multiple layers of save file size/complexity limits at play here, probably largely because of the start point of "Playstation Exclusive Sony Studio" maximum allowed save game size that doesn't apply on PC but is still there anyways:

- The upload limits, where a base can be more complex/larger but you can't upload it after that point
- Your personal save file terrain modification cap, which applies to every hole you dig and mound you make, which will silently cull old entries once it hits the cap and new ones are added
- Your personal save file maximum item placement, which applies to every base item and portable save point you place anywhere, on a base or not. Once you hit this cap (20,000 iirc) you can't place anything else period without deleting something somewhere else

Uploading a base seems to bundle some terrain modifications with it, sort of, so terrain mods stick around a bit longer if you upload your bases, but ultimately your best bet is to work with the terrain you have and, if you really want to, put portions of bases below the terrain line connected by short range teleporters to "above the surface" to defeat the issue of terrain reversions burying things. Minecraft, this isn't.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Expedition when

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Been a few months shy of two years since I last played. Should I start a new save?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Black Griffon posted:

Been a few months shy of two years since I last played. Should I start a new save?

I'd hold out for the next expedition, though we don't know when that is.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oh, that's new, huh. Will I be overly confused hopping back into my two year old save then?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

But regardless of whether you wait for the next expedition or not... yeah probably.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So are we talking Diablo seasons where we can still have a rough idea like "during the fall" or is it completely in the air?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No one knows.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Right oh, no reason to wait to start a new game then!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Black Griffon posted:

So are we talking Diablo seasons where we can still have a rough idea like "during the fall" or is it completely in the air?

The original pitch and based on the two they ran so far was variable lengths, and not thebtypical 'every 3 months is a new season' but I'm guessing something may have fallen through, since the 2nd season had a tie in to another game. Or on the other hand they realized their game's framework just doesn't support having thousands of players building stuff in the same systems, so they're retooling what seasons are.
It's weird we've gotten no news, and that they added the season thing to the main menu when making a save.
Heck they might even be updating how many saves you can have, since on ps4 at least 4-5 seasons would start eating up every save slot.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, I get the impetus for trying to to get in on that games-as-a-service aspect, and I even appreciate if it's an effort to foster community, but it seems hard to pull off.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

Yeah the horrors one is hands down the best because living slime is literally nanites waiting to be refined and it's fun to shoot them all. The robots and turrets are boring as poo poo and don't really bring the horror aspect to exploring freighters.

There are also space jellyfish ghosts. Those fuckers got me once or twice, as they're so faint and move so slowly they look like some kind of background decoration, until they suddenly touch you and your health starts to go down. They're even more space horror than the horrors

Angry_Ed posted:

I found using the small cuboid rooms to be effective for making a surface<->underwater passage. What sucks is the underwater structures refusing to be set down if so much as 1mm of the building would be above water.

poo poo, I have to remember this. Until now I've just sucked it up and waded through a mid-section filled with water to move between surface and underwater parts of my bases.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Libluini posted:

There are also space jellyfish ghosts. Those fuckers got me once or twice, as they're so faint and move so slowly they look like some kind of background decoration, until they suddenly touch you and your health starts to go down. They're even more space horror than the horrors

poo poo, I have to remember this. Until now I've just sucked it up and waded through a mid-section filled with water to move between surface and underwater parts of my bases.

In general the prefab rooms are just better to use. I gave up on basebuilding when I realized their building power system doesn't actually work with anything but prefabbed rooms for example.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Is there anything else to do with tainted metal after you buy everything? I know it refinea into nanites 2 to 1, but anything else?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Right oh, no reason to wait to start a new game then!
I'm getting the itch to play again, but I'm hoping in a month or two there'll be another big summer NMS 4.0 patch, so gonna wait for that rather than risk burning out again just before an update drops

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006