Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
I've seriously slipped in the reading/painting/everything departments, but I bought a copy of Imbibe! and it's a fun read so far. It's about old cocktails, so I'm sure not most people's cup of tea, but I like it and hey, it's reading something that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

okiedoke posted:

I've seriously slipped in the reading/painting/everything departments, but I bought a copy of Imbibe! and it's a fun read so far. It's about old cocktails, so I'm sure not most people's cup of tea, but I like it and hey, it's reading something that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.

we have 2 tell Evil Bob about this book

xcheopis

okiedoke posted:

I was once wandering through a used book store for something different to read and ended up with Amy Stewart's The Earth Moved, which turned out to be a great choice. For example, I learned that the well-known critters we call earthworms are an invasive species to North America and are responsible for the decline and destruction of some types of forests on the continent.

https://www.amystewart.com/books/the-earth-moved/

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

okiedoke

Hell, I'll read about some worms!

xcheopis

It's a good, fun read and she also writes books about poisonous plants.

okiedoke

Right on, thanks! I added them to my goodreads so I won't forget

Prof. Crocodile

How Wonderful! posted:

like if Edward Gorey had to direct a giallo movie about E/N.

sold!

Vei
I read Thrawn (Star Wars) by Timothy Zahn. It was like a freaking (well done) fanfic lol I feel so blue balled for some proper Star Wars villain story >; (

3D Megadoodoo

okiedoke posted:

Like cocktail history or just recipes?

okiedoke

Both, actually. It's based on a book written by Jerry Thomas in 1862 with history about the man himself and old bartending practices in general. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbibe!

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just picked up Ender's Game and I am getting to the parts that start outlining the propaganda of the glorious patriarchal fascisistic government. Before I get any further, can someone tell me if this is actually satire or was it just mistaken for that at the time?

take the moon

by sebmojo

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just picked up Ender's Game and I am getting to the parts that start outlining the propaganda of the glorious patriarchal fascisistic government. Before I get any further, can someone tell me if this is actually satire or was it just mistaken for that at the time?

its just a really good book imo but in no way should u mistake the authoritory gov for something ideal. characters in the EU literally post hot takes on it onscreen (sometimes for their own ends). its just a really lovely sitch when endless waves of insects from outer space seemingly want to :rip: you

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo
i think osc was cancelled but ill die on the hill that his books are like the most pacifist-hearted u can get when ur still obsessed with space mil and space missile battles

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I'm finally finishing Darryl and it's such a weird bummer. I think if it wasn't the novel everybody was talking about right now I would just say ah well not for me but I have a pathological need to be able to follow The Conversation.

It's about this guy with a cuckolding fetish whose wife gets involved with this alt-right weirdo and the main guy becomes friends online with a trans woman and ruminates on this and that. It's pretty funny and the narrator has a likeable little inner monologue but I am not having fun reading about an alt-right guy cumming and running wild. It just feels a little too mean to me which maybe means that the mindset of a cuckolding fetishist is just completely alien to me? So I also feel like mm, am I kinkshaming this novel?

I will say one thing I admire about it a lot: most of the big discoursy novels by trans authors so far have been About Being Trans so I like that this one is about some guy with his own problems. I like that Jackie Ess, the author, could be like, yeah of course the novel is going to be about gender and how we all reckon with this huge strange construct, but nobody is putting a gun to my head and making me write a roman a clef. So I appreciate that and I hope people pick that up and run with it but otherwise I dunno, I feel square saying this but it's just not really my cup of tea this book.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2021

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

xcheopis

take the moon posted:

i think osc was cancelled but ill die on the hill that his books are like the most pacifist-hearted u can get when ur still obsessed with space mil and space missile battles

Trigger warning: OSC is a gross bigot
https://gizmodo.com/orson-scott-cards-hamlet-not-as-good-as-shakespeares-v-5838157

3D Megadoodoo

okiedoke posted:

Both, actually. It's based on a book written by Jerry Thomas in 1862 with history about the man himself and old bartending practices in general. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbibe!

Does the author have Strong Opinions?

How Wonderful!

When I was a teenager I went to a lecture he gave at the Philly Library. I was really excited, and I don't remember much of what he said, but I remember it was very very weird. I was just a little baby idiot at the time, I wasn't aware of his blogs or his politics outside of what you could get from his novels and a very strange essay he wrote about colonialism that I read somewhere, but I did know a little bit about political philosophy and I knew he was saying stuff that just did not fit into any of the ideological clusters I had grown used to thinking about. When I left I felt like I didn't really like him very much anymore but that I felt like I understood something vague, vaguely better than I had previously.

I wonder how much of this is that so much of what he believes stems out of an extraordinarily idiosyncratic practice of Mormonism, a system I'm honestly relatively ignorant about in terms of what it meant to live and believe in a Mormon universe in the 20th and 21st centuries (and the impression I get is that he practices it and parses it in a very personal and unusual way). Because there's that awful ugly strain of homophobia, that fear of change that I think is endemic to certain kinds of fundamentalism, but also an awful lot of stuff about peace and embracing the terror and vulnerability of empathy that I still kind of think back fondly on. It's just such a weird mish-mash and so internally jumbled up and wayward that I wish I could just take a pair of tweezers and extricate the good and compelling and beautiful parts and let the hate and ugliness fall back into the quagmire but I guess that's... impossible!

take the moon

by sebmojo

"in which we discover — spoiler alert — that Hamlet's father was gay, and that this made him a terrible king."

the article doesnt quote textually to support this really but hosed up if true

according to wiki: "At the end of the story, it is revealed that King Hamlet was not killed by Claudius, as the king had led Hamlet to believe, but by Horatio in retaliation for the king having molested him as a young boy. It is also revealed that the King had molested Laertes, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Hamlet is sent to Hell for the harm he's caused and will be with his father for eternity."

this makes it sound like a case of le edge, its true that laertes, rosencrantz and guildenstern are male but who else is rapist maniac king hamlet gonna have raped? would it be comfier if he raped ophelia instead? i truly have no idea. regardless i would argue from this basis that hes a terrible king cuz he molested people, not cuz he was gay

osc generally comes across to me as a somewhat fog-brained oldster. going thru the wiki, it seems the theory that "they were raped into being gay" comes from some comment osc made in some random context wholly unrelated to this text. its prolly true that osc wuz like "theres a link between sex abuse and gayness" at some point in his life. he prolly said a lot of random poo poo. i dont think its fair to inject that so thoroughly into the text tho. card was cited himself as saying, "this dude isnt gay, hes a rapist" essentially but i guess in some schools its fair to disregard stuff like that when analyzing a text.

anyway i think i would need to read this actually to come up with a good handle on it /derail

----------------

take the moon

by sebmojo
prolly last time i ever effort post bout anything lol

How Wonderful!

I feel like I gotta read something that will help me learn something brand new, I had all these history and theory books started and like 25% finished because the dissertation chomped up all my time, but I also want to just rush out and buy new stuff or bring home a huge pile from the library. I also kept telling myself this would be the summer I'd really finish In Search of Lost Time but honestly that ain't looking likely.

take the moon

by sebmojo
mostly reading zines & comix rn on my rig, but making time for random asides w/ the cypunk/theory poo poo i have lying around thats always pleasant to read outside or whatever

----------------

okiedoke

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Does the author have Strong Opinions?

I didn't get that impression. He gives some background on himself as starting a career in academia and kind of fell into the subject due to its historical relevance in regards to early American life and being around the scene when classic cocktails were going through a revival. He did a ton of work with people in that particular field and even helped develop recipes for not only the drinks, but the spirits used for them since they were all massively different to what's available today.

3D Megadoodoo

okiedoke posted:

I didn't get that impression. He gives some background on himself as starting a career in academia and kind of fell into the subject due to its historical relevance in regards to early American life and being around the scene when classic cocktails were going through a revival. He did a ton of work with people in that particular field and even helped develop recipes for not only the drinks, but the spirits used for them since they were all massively different to what's available today.

I guess what I meant was is he a descriptivist alcoholic or a prescriptivist alcoholic. Seems like the former, which is the one that makes for interesting reading, usually.

xcheopis

How Wonderful! posted:

I feel like I gotta read something that will help me learn something brand new, I had all these history and theory books started and like 25% finished because the dissertation chomped up all my time, but I also want to just rush out and buy new stuff or bring home a huge pile from the library. I also kept telling myself this would be the summer I'd really finish In Search of Lost Time but honestly that ain't looking likely.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520085800/inscribed-landscapes
I was getting more into Chinese history when I came across this at my library and then saved up money to buy it. It's part of the collection I have of "books that are mostly short essays", which includes non-fiction anthologies (such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_American_Science_Writing), to be read when I'm having trouble concentrating on longer books (or just not up to getting involved in a long read or just want to read a bit before falling asleep).
Longer essays (such as https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691155876/mountain-of-fame) are good for lazy days of relaxing or having to do a lot of waiting about for medical stuff. I also have some books of, and about, Heian era literature.

Short books for lay people are also fun! Most of mine are related to infections disease but there are the likes of the Amy Stewart books and Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation (https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/olivia-judson/dr-tatianas-sex-advice-to-all-creation/).

How Wonderful!

xcheopis posted:

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520085800/inscribed-landscapes
I was getting more into Chinese history when I came across this at my library and then saved up money to buy it. It's part of the collection I have of "books that are mostly short essays", which includes non-fiction anthologies (such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_American_Science_Writing), to be read when I'm having trouble concentrating on longer books (or just not up to getting involved in a long read or just want to read a bit before falling asleep).
Longer essays (such as https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691155876/mountain-of-fame) are good for lazy days of relaxing or having to do a lot of waiting about for medical stuff. I also have some books of, and about, Heian era literature.

Short books for lay people are also fun! Most of mine are related to infections disease but there are the likes of the Amy Stewart books and Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation (https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/olivia-judson/dr-tatianas-sex-advice-to-all-creation/).

I'm reorganizing and cataloguing all the pdfs I've grabbed "for later" over the course of the past bunch of years. I remember in the little twilight era between undergrad and grad school I remember having so much fun just getting a curiosity about something and being able to casually read one or two books about it and then move on. I loved getting pop science books for laypeople and not having to feel like an expert on every little thing beneath the sun.

xcheopis

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm reorganizing and cataloguing all the pdfs I've grabbed "for later" over the course of the past bunch of years. I remember in the little twilight era between undergrad and grad school I remember having so much fun just getting a curiosity about something and being able to casually read one or two books about it and then move on. I loved getting pop science books for laypeople and not having to feel like an expert on every little thing beneath the sun.
Yes, I really enjoy learning lots of little things I didn't know before and not worrying about being tested on it! Mind you, having read an awful lot of books about evolution and hominids turned out to be very, very useful when I took Physical Anthropology! :yayclod:

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm currently reading the factory service manual for a 28-year-old pickup truck in order to find this ONE STUPID WIRE THAT ISNT WORKING

nut

Its tiny but I finished Biology as Ideology by Richard Lewontin and was really impressed. I always kinda found that sociobiological arguments or dorkins gene theory are wildly incomplete, but I didn't have sound reasoning beyond both of those approaches seeming to ignore the very real and immediate things we experience in life. Turns out, that is a great reasoning to challenge both! Ordered a bunch more Lewontin and if anyone wanted to read him I'd rec Biology as Ideology for a really smart and scientific challenge to science that claims to explain human behaviour or is used to legitimate current societal institutions as inevitable or even evolutionarily fit.

How Wonderful!

That sounds really cool. I read Lorraine Daston's little monograph Against Nature a few years back which it sounds like was covering similar arguments although from more of an early modern/history of science vantage.

How Wonderful!

Today I'm reading Jan Morris' 1974 Conundrum which so far is the most delicately and ornately written trans memoir of the bajillion often not that good trans memoirs I've read. It's really beautifully language. I have never read any other books by her but I guess I should?

At the same time-- she's sooooo British I'm losing my mind. You know the tone I mean. Here's this part about her having sex as a high-schooler with some dummy.

I also found a very old cache of John Keel PDFs and kicked off the day by drinking my little coffee and reading about bigfoots and so on.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 29, 2021

nut

How Wonderful! posted:

That sounds really cool. I read Lorraine Daston's little monograph Against Nature a few years back which it sounds like was covering similar arguments although from more of an early modern/history of science vantage.

read it read it! then let me know what you think :twisted:

How Wonderful!

nut posted:

read it read it! then let me know what you think :twisted:

added it to my list!

How Wonderful!

fart_man_69
I'm re-reading Blood Meridian, what an amazing book

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

fart_man_69 posted:

I'm re-reading Blood Meridian, what an amazing book

I think that's my favorite book.

fart_man_69

Achtane posted:

I think that's my favorite book.

It's so good. Mcdonalnds

3D Megadoodoo

I thought it was a Legacy of Kain computer game.

bad guy

How Wonderful! posted:

I also kept telling myself this would be the summer I'd really finish In Search of Lost Time

lol

bad guy

I'm reading translations of haiku/senryu, a lot of them are bawdy which is a nice enrichment of the typically orientalist philosophical-seasonal framework they're placed in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

I just started reading a selection of letters from a dead president (pictured below) selected by him when he wasn't dead yet, and it's interesting to read now when one knows he was full of poo poo vis-à-vis anything related to foreign relations (i.e. the Soviet Union).

But the letters he wrote to just regular people (not politicians, businessmen, academics, diplomats, writers, or publishers) are more interesting IMHO.