Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks for doing this thread, I think it's been very useful, and despite my misgivings about how the staff have handled CSPAM issues in the past I think this thread is a great show of good faith and a necessary step in the right direction.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I like shitposting with leftist characteristics. CSPAM is one of the few places where you can do that in peace. This is why I come back to CSPAM.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Joementum posted:

I don't think there should be a thread detailing drama involving modding/demodding, but there definitely should be a rules thread (with a single post in it, not dozens) that outline the forum rules, including any thread titles we're not allowed to use. There shouldn't be unwritten rules.

ya good point. i didnt think of it as like a drama dump. just a way to know about the general on-goings of cspam. but yeah i see what u mean.

anyway thanks to the mods for this thread and cspam.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Maybe not a drama thread, but we could use a sticky for announcements for whenever cspam gains/loses a mod, as well as a list of the IKs and which threads they are in charge of.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

DemoneeHo posted:

Maybe not a drama thread, but we could use a sticky for announcements for whenever cspam gains/loses a mod, as well as a list of the IKs and which threads they are in charge of.

Anytime a mod is added to a place, they are suppose to make a thread and say as such.

I think IKs in CSPAM are told to post in the rules thread? Mods are pretty much in charge of their IKs, so I'm less sure on that one.

I do agree there should be a list of IKs and what they are in charge of. (This is coming on the Tech side at some point. You'll be able to hover a star and see what they are a mod of.)

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
the trump thread is highly white noise as Trump himself was, and thus chat tends to happen there. its very FYAD but who cares it's a FYAD-lite. just like....dont read it

Anyone nominated as a mod should take as few actions as possible. CSPAM has a strong anti-authoritarian streak and whoever gets suckered into taking the job of mod is going to be hated eventually

Make D&D a sub forum of CSPAM. free Benghazi, lastgirl and all political prisoners. justice in our time, thank you and good day

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Unoriginal Name posted:

the trump thread is highly white noise as Trump himself was, and thus chat tends to happen there. its very FYAD but who cares it's a FYAD-lite. just like....dont read it

As I understand it failed CSPAM mod Flavius Aetass crawled from out of that morass than shat everything up in other threads when vested with authority

That is the beginning and end of how much i care about the chat threads, which I generally prefer to ignore, as you recommend

Just don't let another weirdo like that happen

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Forgive me if this has already been a topic of discussion, as I will not be reading the full thread before posting.

My suggestion for CSPAM is to have many fewer moderators, to remove all existing moderators, and to select maybe 1 or 2 new mods with close feedback from the actual posters in the forum. Then, discourage and even punish frivolous reporting and mod action for things like "off topic posting", "trolling", "flaming", and leave enforcement in the hands of the posters themselves.

If some name misspeller from a chatting thread posts stupid stuff in a regular thread, then the thread's posters can simply inform him in an impolite way that his contributions are not wanted. And if someone wants to go correctly spell a politician's name in the chatting thread, then those posters can do the same. And nobody is given a probie from somebody yet to be outed as a sex pest. As an example, I submit the Glenn Greenwald thread which does not appear to have its own little mini-mod and yet is successfully able to run out the losers.

Then, the 1-2 remaining mods can focus their attention about calls to violence, racists, liberals, etc. and use their buttons, with the approval of the whole forum, to keep such posts and posters away from CSPAM.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

there are a few things I don't like about cspam

1. whatever the gently caress the trump thread became. it's been unreadable for years. your catchphrases suck hell. shut the gently caress up already
2. idiotic "mods are kkkops!" roleplaying and crying. it's an internet forum. shut the gently caress up already
3. terminally scowl-faced nerds desperately trying to force cspam into being lf 2.0 and getting really really angry about it. shut the gently caress up already

I like everything else about cspam, don't change it too much, thanks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Flavius was not a good mod but moderation standards around death threats and slurs are going to have to be addressed at some point

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I enjoy CSPAM. A thing I think is bad is implying people need (mental) help or asking someone if they're okay. Just call someone an rear end in a top hat imo we're all adults here. Faux concern just makes you a lovely poster and not in a humorous way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not one of the people who just instantly despises anybody with any amount of authority but I'd just like it said that I support us still having a full cohort of mods even if most actual day to day stuff is to be thread IKs if for no other reason than CSPAM's viewpoint is not excluded from any discussions that happen in mod spaces

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

CSPAM is generally fine, and I'm appreciative that some of the shittiest posters have just run themselves off by virtue of being lovely, but

some plague rats posted:

The wretched poofing beefs thing is the same as misspelling trump, or getting your taint ran, or whatever other dumbassed thing is the flavour of the month- it might have been funny once, but losers glom onto it and start posting it all over the place because they don't have any actual ideas, and as soon as you say this poo poo sucks a different bunch of creeps arrive to start posting about lol it's funny you're so mad at this, he's a prophet from dune, you should poof some beefs and other immensely gay poo poo like that and suddenly a good thread has turned into a referendum on the correct amount to revere a guy who lives in a damp garage. Get rid of it, make catchphrases probatable or something, the forum would be a million times better to read and the only people who will get him by this rule should post better or less anyway. that's my feedback

I wouldn't call it wretched - it's just the simple idea that forced memes and catchphrases are brutally unfunny, and it's loving bizarre to see some posters circling the wagons around posts that are just absolutely tiresome to read

there dont need to be epic clapback posts against those posts or anything, it's just not funny and forcing it in such a lame way should as verboten here as it is in other corners of SA, IMO

that being said:

quote:

- There's a line between "shitposting" and "posting casually, but still being interesting." Personally, I much prefer the latter; spamming catchphrases and played-out jokes (drnald thrunjp lol) isn't very interesting to me. I sympathize with the folks who prefer that even casual posting still go by the ancient SA standard of being "funny, informative, or interesting on any level," but I also think it's tricky for mods to enforce that in a relaxed rules forum, at least in a way that the community at large will agree is fair and consistent. So that strikes me as more a standard that a community needs to coalesce around or agree to disagree on, and some threads will lean more toward more serious tones, and others toward silly poo poo, and the thread IKs can deal with that as they see appropriate. But again, I'm not laying down the law on this, and it may be worth a mod posting a thread to discuss this specifically with the community and go from there.

this is the issue I've spent (admittedly not a whole lot, so i might come back later) time mulling about in my head. a chat thread here will, by virtue, be just shitposting and stream of consciousness and pointing/laughing at the GOP and all that poo poo, so I don't think there needs to be heavy modding - quite the opposite as other people have said in this thread. if people want to at least want to try to be funny and fail, should they necessarily be punished? (Guess that depends on how funny the punishment is though, lol)

however, I dont think having just a tiny, super small minimum standard of "don't be That Guy trying to force a thing to become A Thing" is a bad thing. gnashing your teeth over it is dumb, yeah, but the absolutely bizarre overreaction to being told that poo poo just isnt funny is incredibly dumb and weird in an off-putting way.

I think the other thing that gets old is the loving forum nemesis poo poo and the need some posters have here to go poo poo themselves in another sub, get rightfully chased out, and then show up here to talk about how they in fact brutally OWNED the other posters, but I've seen that happen in other subs so :shrug: no idea what you do other than mock the gently caress out of them

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

1. whatever the gently caress the trump thread became. it's been unreadable for years. your catchphrases suck hell. shut the gently caress up already
2. idiotic "mods are kkkops!" roleplaying and crying. it's an internet forum. shut the gently caress up already
3. terminally scowl-faced nerds desperately trying to force cspam into being lf 2.0 and getting really really angry about it. shut the gently caress up already

The mods are cops thing is strange. I hated flaveus and am glad he's gone but I always thought that was a strange line. I even saw someone refer to one of his dumb bans as "a bad shoot" which was weird too. I think some folks take this too seriously and maybe are addicted to outrage and this shows up in their posts. The world is a nightmare for a lot of folks so I get it. Everyone needs to vent. Other than that I like cspam and I've learned a lot from these threads.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Athanatos posted:

While a lot of Politics Forums reports are Misc (no action), we have had issues in the past where people refuse to report anything for whatever reason. It lead to things horrible things just sitting in threads for weeks and people going "Why wasn't anything done about this?"

I don't want to discourage people from reporting things and get into that situation again.
If people refuse to report things on a website it's because they don't trust the people responsible for handling the reports. Like I lurk all the time and would never report anything for any reason because mods shoving their dickbeaters into the soup and making everything worse seems to be a monthly occurance. Whereas y'all have this fantastic "ignore" button that ends all bad posting forever and doesn't potentially light QCS on fire or risk getting the posters I like probed because a bored Best Buy floor manager doesn't like their tone.

Shine posted:

I think it would benefit us to do a more crowdsourced approach to picking mods and IKs here, having mods nominated and hased out who overlap several major threads. Thoughts?
That's a great idea for a sitewide change, provided you also formalize some way of letting the community give them the boot and start over. Alternatively just write something that randomly bestows buttons on any two given active users for a week. Getting rid of bad mods is way more significant to readers than recruiting new ones, because mods aren't good posters and can only ever impede them to varying degrees.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Death Panel Czar posted:

If people refuse to report things on a website it's because they don't trust the people responsible for handling the reports. Like I lurk all the time and would never report anything for any reason because mods shoving their dickbeaters into the soup and making everything worse seems to be a monthly occurance. Whereas y'all have this fantastic "ignore" button that ends all bad posting forever and doesn't potentially light QCS on fire or risk getting the posters I like probed because a bored Best Buy floor manager doesn't like their tone.

That's a great idea for a sitewide change, provided you also formalize some way of letting the community give them the boot and start over. Alternatively just write something that randomly bestows buttons on any two given active users for a week. Getting rid of bad mods is way more significant to readers than recruiting new ones, because mods aren't good posters and can only ever impede them to varying degrees.

this post is invaluable and incredibly correct

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
c-spam is, at best, completely unrecognizable from what it used to be.

part of this is because the world is obviously changing and such but huge groups of posters have left or been banned at several different points. the trump thread has mostly become unrecognizable from what it used to be, idk if its for the better or not.

honestly my energy levels for posting have gone way, way down (maybe that's for the best) and i mostly can lay it at the feet at how poorly this group has been stewarded and the complete mismanagement from lowtax and the administration.

e: this came off a bit more "get off my lawn" and whiny-as-hell than i meant it to be. i guess mostly what i'm saying is that I don't even know what the point of the forum is anymore. there were several different times I thought I "got it" and then a whole bunch of the people got banned or left for good.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tiler Kiwi posted:

do want to clarify i genuinely don't want to see the chat thread hosed with by mods/admins without the people in it being on board with whatever happens, because its not that big of a deal for me to just not click it, and a bigger deal to the people who post in it, a lot. even if i say mean things about it.

i should probably have emphasised that more since i have a star next to my name but for real, if you think anything i say gets genuinely listened to as sage advice by some cabal you are way more doomer then i could ever be
As someone who has also said mean things about chat threads, this is the correct opinion about them. Whatever distaste I may have for them, as long as they're having fun and not messing with anyone else's good time, they deserve to stay where they are.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
the beefers thing is really really dumb but for some reason it makes the most pedantic ‘i wanna talk to the forums managers’ poster extra hella mad so it just about evens out

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I like cspam. It's a nice place to post in. 😊

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

part of this is because the world is obviously changing and such but huge groups of posters have left or been banned at several different points. the trump thread has mostly become unrecognizable from what it used to be, idk if its for the better or not.

honestly my energy levels for posting have gone way, way down (maybe that's for the best) and i mostly can lay it at the feet at how poorly this group has been stewarded and the complete mismanagement from lowtax and the administration.

e: this came off a bit more "get off my lawn" and whiny-as-hell than i meant it to be. i guess mostly what i'm saying is that I don't even know what the point of the forum is anymore. there were several different times I thought I "got it" and then a whole bunch of the people got banned or left for good.

The Lowtax bans should be reversed and ameliorated to the extent they can be.

euphronius has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Jun 28, 2021

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if you want more reports u should make it so reporting isn't gated behind platinum or what ever, never had the ability so by this point instead of thinking "I should report this dude for ruining the thread" I just ignore the thread for a bit, neat way to disincentivise people from reporting unless they have plat from the start

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

Whatever comes I think preventing that poo poo from happening again and again would be a good goal to set and the start would be figuring out among the administration how to make sure it doesn't happen again. Everytime something seems to stabilize someone seems to feel the need to put their special sauce into the mixture and fucks it all up again

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ex post facho posted:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
c-spam at one point was incredibly politically welcoming as long as you were funny or at least a good source of amusement for the group.

ffs we nearly made boosted a mod

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

euphronius posted:

The Lowtax bans should be reversed and ameliorated to the extent they cant be.

btw this is legal advice and must be done, cowards

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ex post facho posted:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

agreed.

but it's been years now and even if bans are undone, trust has been destroyed. many will not come back because they've been treated poorly or their friends were treated poorly. undoing a ban is the least you can do, but it's unlikely to bring anyone back.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

you sound angry. maybe take a break from reading cspam for a while.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

the beefers thing is really really dumb but for some reason it makes the most pedantic ‘i wanna talk to the forums managers’ poster extra hella mad so it just about evens out

yea it’s really funny watching people get mad about something so stupid.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Agean90 posted:

if you want more reports u should make it so reporting isn't gated behind platinum or what ever, never had the ability so by this point instead of thinking "I should report this dude for ruining the thread" I just ignore the thread for a bit, neat way to disincentivise people from reporting unless they have plat from the start

Is it still gated behind plat? I lost my pms when I got myself banned during the Lowtax thing, but I can still click the report button.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BgRdMchne posted:

Is it still gated behind plat? I lost my pms when I got myself banned during the Lowtax thing, but I can still click the report button.

I think they unlinked reports from plat some time ago, yeah. (Plat people might have a higher reports/day limit.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

euphronius posted:

If there are more of these outstanding, I'm listening. "People unfairly banned by lowtax" is a group of people spanning twenty years and I certainly have not reviewed all of them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

Might be an issue with the mobile app then, I dont see any report buttons on it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

docbeard posted:

I think they unlinked reports from plat some time ago, yeah. (Plat people might have a higher reports/day limit.)
Correct - people with plat get more, but everyone can send reports now.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

it's unironically amazing, that 20+ years after the first post was ever posted on these forums, people still don't understand that the meltdowns over "THAT THING ISN'T FUNNY, STOP KRAMERING INTO EVERY THREAD AND SAYING THAT THING A BLOO BLOO" is 100% the reason that [unfunny thing] is propagating. It's functionally the same as posting 'the democrat party' in d&d

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If there are more of these outstanding, I'm listening. "People unfairly banned by lowtax" is a group of people spanning twenty years and I certainly have not reviewed all of them.

I was referring to a specific incident during the twilight of lowtax. I am sorry I was not more specific. (honestly, I was thinking when I hit post I should have been more specific).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Schnorkles posted:

c-spam at one point was incredibly politically welcoming as long as you were funny or at least a good source of amusement for the group.

ffs we nearly made boosted a mod

A considerable amount of the bans were self immolations. Maybe decrease the appeal of melodrama.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

To be fair, this is because your usual haunts are limited. Trump & Bernie being blown away are ofc gonna change the crews. Podcast thread, for example, same as its ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Homeless Friend posted:

To be fair, this is because your usual haunts are limited. Trump & Bernie being blown away are ofc gonna change the crews. Podcast thread, for example, same as its ever been.

Yeah, the Climate Change thread is about the same as it was 6 years ago, too. I can understand why most people don't want to hang out in that thread, though.