Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Wasn’t the original PC port back in 2007/8 legendarily trash?

No? But it had notorious piracy protection in the form of making an early enemy absolutely invincible and therefore impossible to progress past that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McSpanky posted:

It's like Peter Gabriel and Gary Numan were merged into one unholy being fueled by cocaine.

So, more the merged part than anything?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not familiar with the controversy, but played through the original Steam release a few times without issue.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The_Doctor posted:

I have distinct memories of not even being able to run it at first simply because I changed the default installation path

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gnome de plume posted:

I have distinct memories of not even being able to run it at first simply because I changed the default installation path

There is no data path, only Zuul.

Edit: I think the only person who could fix something like this would be a registry key master.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
You'd also need the Bill Gateskeeper

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Armacham posted:

You'd also need the Bill Gateskeeper

:golfclap:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Intrusive DRM. Just like the Sony BMG rootkit scandal of 2005!

You’re right. No human being would enact DRM like this.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Listen! Smell something?

*game crashes*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/johnyurcaba4/status/1409851379833655300

I adore that original RGB promo art so much, it’s been a favourite since I was a kid. It’s so goddamn evocative.
:allears:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah that's the good stuff! Right in the nostalgia

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Did the new one come out?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Oh man, the memories. That was the box art for the Real Ghostbusters board game I had :cool:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think it might've made it to a lunchbox, too.

I had the one where the RGB are walking down the street, sort of like from the end sequence from the cartoon.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

FunkyAl posted:

Did the new one come out?

Yes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Movie looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wvfO5NrcI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shout out to mixing in the theme from Extreme Ghostbusters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I absolutely loved this.

Edit: right up there with this classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4wagcmxh4o

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 7, 2021

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Shout out to mixing in the theme from Extreme Ghostbusters.
My thoughts exactly!

That show was super underrated.

People still bring up the fact that there was a wheelchair Ghostbuster as some gotchya' about "forced diversity" and it's like, yeah, pal. Kids in wheelchairs getting one non-canon cartoon Ghostbuster and one member of the Burger King Kid's Club 25 years ago to see themselves in their media sure is a good reason to be violently angry.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

My thoughts exactly!

That show was super underrated.

People still bring up the fact that there was a wheelchair Ghostbuster as some gotchya' about "forced diversity" and it's like, yeah, pal. Kids in wheelchairs getting one non-canon cartoon Ghostbuster and one member of the Burger King Kid's Club 25 years ago to see themselves in their media sure is a good reason to be violently angry.

The only reason I didn't like the inclusion of Garret is that it implies that anything the Ghostbusters do is up to code. And I just can't believe that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Were the Extreme Ghostbusters considered a part of Real Ghostbusters canon or Movie Ghostbusters canon? Important question.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

Were the Extreme Ghostbusters considered a part of Real Ghostbusters canon or Movie Ghostbusters canon? Important question.

The former. Like, explicitly, the Real Ghostbusters versions of Egon and Slimer are regulars and there's an episode with the rest of them showing up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The former. Like, explicitly, the Real Ghostbusters versions of Egon and Slimer are regulars and there's an episode with the rest of them showing up.

I've never watched EGB, what's the reasoning for the rest of them kind of just loving off and not staying GBs?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never watched EGB, what's the reasoning for the rest of them kind of just loving off and not staying GBs?

THEY OLD.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think it was also implied that there just weren't many ghosts around for a while. Until some jerk opened a big spooky underground door or whatever happens in EGB.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Egon stayed because someone had to keep an eye on the massive ghost bomb in the basement containment unit.

I'm sure having a place to live rent free in the heart of New York didn't hurt either.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 15, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched most of Extreme Ghostbusters last year, it's on Hulu. It takes place in the then contemporary 90s. The Ghostbusters had basically got most of the ghosts and put themselves out of a job. Egon became a college professor and then hired his students when new ghosts showed up. It was done by that studio that did the MIB and Godzilla cartoon, so it was pretty high quality. I wonder what ever happened to that studio. I think Dwayne McDuffie was also involved.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That's another tie in with MiB. I saw the first movie and it was... fine? but since then, everyone says that that was basically what GB3 could've/would've been, and if so, I'm glad GB3 didn't happen back then.

And no, I'm not getting that confused with the real spiritual (heh) sequel, Evolution. MiB was talked about similarly. To me, the MiB movies are entirely forgettable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Just imagine. A cast of a Black guy, a Latino guy, a guy in a wheelchair and a GIRL with only one original cast member who doesn't even come out to hunt ghosts much. A certain type of people would come unglued today.

That said I thought EGB was pretty good overall. It's got an episode where an R.L. Stine-alike writes the Cenobites into existence for heaven's sake. My only two issues with the show were the animation quality wasn't great and they never seemed scared of the ghosts very much which kind of took the wind out of the episodes' plots sometimes. Still worth checking out.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dawgstar posted:

Just imagine. A cast of a Black guy, a Latino guy, a guy in a wheelchair and a GIRL with only one original cast member who doesn't even come out to hunt ghosts much. A certain type of people would come unglued today.

That said I thought EGB was pretty good overall. It's got an episode where an R.L. Stine-alike writes the Cenobites into existence for heaven's sake. My only two issues with the show were the animation quality wasn't great and they never seemed scared of the ghosts very much which kind of took the wind out of the episodes' plots sometimes. Still worth checking out.

I enjoyed how round they made Ray when they did the episode with the original ghostbusters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I hated that episode because the originals all came across as dicks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

I think it was also implied that there just weren't many ghosts around for a while. Until some jerk opened a big spooky underground door or whatever happens in EGB.

It says right on the door, Do Not Open Until Doomsday, they couldn't be more clear.

quote:

And no, I'm not getting that confused with the real spiritual (heh) sequel, Evolution. MiB was talked about similarly. To me, the MiB movies are entirely forgettable.
The original MiB is pretty good and I think still holds up.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

EGB did have a return of a creepy-rear end RGB ghost. The Grundel.

He shows up in an original RGB episode back in '87, then is reintroduced in EGB. The Grundel's schtick is that he encourages kids to be naughty, turning them into Grundels. The EGB story was unsettling, as it was about one of Kylie's childhood friends going missing - after being turned into a Grundel. Now it's like 10 years later and there's two Grundels running around. Or something.

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 16, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Real Ghostbusters has the same monster designer as the Jumanji cartoon, iirc. (the Jumanji cartoon is another one worth a watch iirc, and Welcome to the Jungle actually takes probably more inspiration from it than the original movie in some ways)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I hated that episode because the originals all came across as dicks.

Also they didn't spring for Lorenzo Music back as Peter and went with Coulier.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They made an Extreme Ghostbusters video game for GBA years after the show was cancelled. I wonder what was up with that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Extreme Ghostbusters sucked

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

They made an Extreme Ghostbusters video game for GBA years after the show was cancelled. I wonder what was up with that.

Development probably started when the show was at its peak.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Must have been one hell of a development cycle - the GBA wasn't even released until four years after the show ended. A Game Boy Color game based on the show didn't come out until 2001 either.

Maybe the weird timing of the games was prompted by Aykroyd's Ghostbusters 3 script, which was written around then and allegedly featured a similar passing of the torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Are the IDW comics any good?