Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel like the pics thread is about the same as it's ever been, and thats probably my favorite individual thread to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah, the Climate Change thread is about the same as it was 6 years ago, too. I can understand why most people don't want to hang out in that thread, though.

climate thread occupying a ravenholm'esqe status in cspam never fails to make me lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

euphronius posted:

I was referring to a specific incident during the twilight of lowtax. I am sorry I was not more specific. (honestly, I was thinking when I hit post I should have been more specific).
Most of these were undone. I just looked through them again and found "unwantedplatypus" and "Juttuma" and unbanned them. The only remaining one I saw that hadn't unbanned since then was Lastgirl, who I simultaneously think has no interest in coming back, and was banned for encouraging people to hoard thermite from university labs, which is......well a $10 offense at the very least.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah, the Climate Change thread is about the same as it was 6 years ago, too. I can understand why most people don't want to hang out in that thread, though.

the climate change thread is simultaneously right and also a terrible place to be for more than a few minutes

much like portland right now ha ha just a bit of apocalypse humor for you

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

that may have been the given reason lastgirl was banned but that is based on a misreading of the posts and the context

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Most of these were undone. I just looked through them again and found "unwantedplatypus" and "Juttuma" and unbanned them. The only remaining one I saw that hadn't unbanned since then was Lastgirl, who I simultaneously think has no interest in coming back, and was banned for encouraging people to hoard thermite from university labs, which is......well a $10 offense at the very least.

Yea I've asked lastgirl more than once and it's pretty clear they're not coming back

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I am familiar with hundreds of users who post in the major themed CSPAM threads (Epstein/COVID/Climate/Doomsday). I barely recognize two people in here who populate those. That goes for the last two pages, the first two pages, and many in between.

Just acknowledging that an influx of randos who are absolutely unrecognizable in CSPAM themed threads are largely the self-appointed decisionmakers about CSPAM here.

When a feedback thread is made that is specific to one subcommunity, recognize that there is nothing that can be done to prevent this monopoly of influence coming in from the other competing subcommunities, mainly those who tend to gravitate towards feedback threads instead of the high-content themed threads in question.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
jeffrey unban eox plox

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Happy Thread posted:

I am familiar with hundreds of users who post in the major themed CSPAM threads (Epstein/COVID/Climate/Doomsday). I barely recognize two people in here who populate those. That goes for the last two pages, the first two pages, and many in between.

I found this because someone posted a link to it in the "democrats suck" thread, so you should post a link to it in those threads so those posters come here and give feedback.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

Just acknowledging that an influx of randos who are absolutely unrecognizable in CSPAM themed threads are largely the self-appointed decisionmakers about CSPAM here.

When a feedback thread is made that is specific to one subcommunity, recognize that there is nothing that can be done to prevent this monopoly of influence coming in from the other competing subcommunities, mainly those who tend to gravitate towards feedback threads instead of the high-content themed threads in question.

i wish i was familiar with u shutting the gently caress up bro

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Happy Thread posted:

My guy, I don't need you to be the loving czar of telling me who posts where and how and what opinions I should listen to.

gently caress off with this.

Edit: And to put it a little more diplomatically: You have no idea who reads what. Lurkers have opinions too. Just because someone doesn't pass your "hundreds of users" test, doesn't mean I dont want them to post in this thread.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Homeless Friend posted:

i wish i was familiar with u shutting the gently caress up bro

Don't do this, I got it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Paolomania posted:

I have been a sporadic poster on the SA alternative serious posting forums since LF. To me the value of C-SPAM is that it is more of a melee than D&D and this results in different (and IMO more enlightening) discourse. People may call it "leftist" but that is more of a result of the discourse than the raison d'etre. It is what happens when you allow people to smash the civil-yet-garbage argumentation that goes on in D&D - the legalistic derails over minutiae, the goal post runarounds, the appeals to authority (in terms of media and public officials), and all the other intentional and unintentional fallacies that can masquerade as rational interrogation in a reasonable tone. Not that people don't refute that stuff in D&D, but with no control on the civil garbage-posting it just goes around and around ... and around. When you are allowed to say "gently caress that and gently caress you" along with your refutation, and enough people agree, you can run off the worst posters (or at least get them to stop it with specific lovely arguments). And lo and behold reality does not have a liberal bias, but somehow a bias towards analysis based on the material world.
This encapsulates the appeal of C-SPAM to me as well. You don't need to write a loving dissertation to express a simple opinion. You don't need to do a point-by-point rebuttal to call out bullshit. Surprisingly, that can lead to actually lively debate that delivers insights at a pace that tedious D&D-style discussion can only dream of. And yes, it allows you to call bullshit for what it is and is efficient in culling bad posters.

Chat thread is its own beast though where bad posters just can float in the sea of posts. That's never been a problem for me. Scrolling past unfunny posts is a matter of less than a second. The last couple of times I poked my head in there, I found it too thin on actual news to make fun of and fairly navel-gazing, but that might just be a coincidence of timing. And even if it's not for me in its current form, I say let them post their Tmurps and Poofers.

Schnorkles posted:

c-spam at one point was incredibly politically welcoming as long as you were funny or at least a good source of amusement for the group.

ffs we nearly made boosted a mod
This is another post that stuck out to me. It's true that there was a far wider range of political beliefs represented. But it's been over four years since C-SPAM's inception as an open rules-lite election subforum and the heady days of the dual fishmech/Boosted IKship. The culling of bad posters and bad opinions talked above simply has taken place over the years. That's just a function of time.

I think C-SPAM still can be/is welcoming "as long as you are funny or at least a good source of amusement for the group" (within certain bounds). The issue is more that you have to have the guts to stomach the inital "gently caress that and gently caress you"s and few people have the same willingness to stick around as drunk Canadian survivalist-cosplaying ex-sewer inspectors.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

it's unironically amazing, that 20+ years after the first post was ever posted on these forums, people still don't understand that the meltdowns over "THAT THING ISN'T FUNNY, STOP KRAMERING INTO EVERY THREAD AND SAYING THAT THING A BLOO BLOO" is 100% the reason that [unfunny thing] is propagating. It's functionally the same as posting 'the democrat party' in d&d

Woah, people are complaining about stupid poo poo they don't like? What do they think this is, some kind of feedback thread???

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Happy Thread posted:

the major themed CSPAM threads (Epstein/COVID/Climate/Doomsday)
:raise:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel like the pics thread is about the same as it's ever been, and thats probably my favorite individual thread to follow
It's a good thread that almost never causes trouble.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

ok thank you.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Admiral Ray posted:

I hang out in the actual changing climate, that's distressing enough for me

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I agree, that wasn't very diplomatic. Listen, it's a legitimate concern. People who are culturally poor fits with CSPAM (which definitely has a culture) and who more importantly do not contribute into its content-heavy threads are absolutely not on the same level as contributors who make CSPAM what it is.

Also, it was an observation. You're unfairly categorizing it as something else. I did not tell you what to do. At all. In fact I literally said that there's nothing that can be done about it but recognize when it happens.

Calling everyone lurkers is vacuous and unprovable. Others within the last several pages have also voiced the concern of an influx of feedback-thread regulars.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Jun 28, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's really weird and foolish to try and either navigate towards, or pine for, the energy that existed here under completely different circumstances/material conditions, 4 years or even 2 years ago. Posters are always going to cycle through and move on to other poo poo, some come back, some don't, new people take their place (generally in a diminishing returns way)

The focus should be on making what and who is still here as good as it can be, ameliorating tensions between disparate groups and what they consider to be "good posting" (just stay the gently caress away from each other tbqh), because it's wholly subjective and stupid as gently caress to argue the medium instead of just having a conversation about a current event, political news, social phenomenon, a hobby or whatever else we catch in the nets here.

CSPAM is still pretty great despite a lot of the strife and it's more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" type of thing than it is a laser focused, orderly experience with predictable content and quantifiable rulesets rigorously enforced. I post in a lot of different threads, and read a lot more even if I don't feel the need to participate, and I still pick up a lot of interesting knowledge from people sharing their experiences in ways that aren't possible in more rigidly structured posting environments centered on one topic.

So tl;dr just get some reliable, neutral queue janitors to hand time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people, and let the board continue doing what it does.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

smarxist posted:

I think it's really weird and foolish to try and either navigate towards, or pine for, the energy that existed here under completely different circumstances/material conditions, 4 years or even 2 years ago. Posters are always going to cycle through and move on to other poo poo, some come back, some don't, new people take their place (generally in a diminishing returns way)

The focus should be on making what and who is still here as good as it can be, ameliorating tensions between disparate groups and what they consider to be "good posting" (just stay the gently caress away from each other tbqh), because it's wholly subjective and stupid as gently caress to argue the medium instead of just having a conversation about a current event, political news, social phenomenon, a hobby or whatever else we catch in the nets here.

CSPAM is still pretty great despite a lot of the strife and it's more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" type of thing than it is a laser focused, orderly experience with predictable content and quantifiable rulesets rigorously enforced. I post in a lot of different threads, and read a lot more even if I don't feel the need to participate, and I still pick up a lot of interesting knowledge from people sharing their experiences in ways that aren't possible in more rigidly structured posting environments centered on one topic.

So tl;dr just get some reliable, neutral queue janitors to hand time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people, and let the board continue doing what it does.
Another post I will co-sign.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Woah, people are complaining about stupid poo poo they don't like? What do they think this is, some kind of feedback thread???

I dunno, call me weird but I just don't think we need to call for MTF Nine-Tailed-Fox to be deployed every time some thread's culture starts to leak into another's. The IK for whatever thread is getting poop beefed or whatever can just hand out some time off sixers and let it die out. I don't think there's a need for quarantining those threads away or anything though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dont think a right winger would be like, instant banned or anything, but there is a reason why every one that was around ended up self-banning with a racist screed or similar and it wasnt targeted harassment campaigns, it was because they dont actually want to debate or argue about anywhere where there is no manager to cry to and there are shitloads of places on the internet that cater to that they so all left (or declared themselves the god of communism after a cough syrup binge)

Hell we made boosted an IK and he STILL wouldnt wear the hat

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

I agree, that wasn't very diplomatic. Listen, it's a legitimate concern. People who are culturally poor fits with CSPAM (which definitely has a culture) and who more importantly do not contribute into its content-heavy threads are absolutely not on the same level as contributors who make CSPAM what it is.

It's you! You're the bad culture fit who's trying to impose some kind of weird tier system where there are people who get to have opinions and people who don't and adding a clause to make sure you're on the right side of that divide!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

some plague rats posted:

It's you! You're the bad culture fit who's trying to impose some kind of weird tier system where there are people who get to have opinions and people who don't and adding a clause to make sure you're on the right side of that divide!

You are a feedback thread regular

I am here because someone invited us from the Epstein thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Someone who doesn't have the Democrats and the Eurasia threads (just the first two that came to my mind) on the radar when talking about "main themed thread" has no leg to stand on talking authoritatively about "forums culture".

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Democrats is an extremely fast moving chat thread, nowhere near as content/effort heavy as Epstein for example. But yes there are more.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

why are you like this happy thread

why is your name happy thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Epic High Five posted:

it was because they dont actually want to debate or argue about anywhere where there is no manager to cry to and there are shitloads of places on the internet that cater to that they so all left
Oh, that's definitely a big part of it and sort of subsumed under "have the guts to stomach the inital "gently caress that and gently caress you"s".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i also think chat threads are more vulnerable to that kind of shift in character. not even making GBS threads on them this time, it's just what happens with an online group you roll with. discord, steam friends, old tf2 servers. they're parasocial memories now.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Office Pig posted:

Because I created half the posts in the CSPAM Happy Thread, another major themed thread. And also made it.

e: I didn't include the Happy Thread as an example because even I acknowledge that it has become a poor cultural fit for CSPAM as things have shifted. That one's still running on momentum.

frankenfreak posted:

Now wait until hear what their previous username was! :v:

A Nathan for You joke? Thanks for the CSPAM feedback

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Jun 28, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

I dunno, call me weird but I just don't think we need to call for MTF Nine-Tailed-Fox to be deployed every time some thread's culture starts to leak into another's. The IK for whatever thread is getting poop beefed or whatever can just hand out some time off sixers and let it die out. I don't think there's a need for quarantining those threads away or anything though

Okay: you're weird. But seriously the problem is that this isn't happening, it's not getting squashed at all and the chat thread dumb fucks are never going to read the room and take the hint. Left alone they'll just do it more, as you pointed out yelling at them also makes them do it more, all that's left is mod action which hasn't been happening, hence the feedback I'm currently giving. I would like this stupid bullshit that's super annoying to anyone who doesn't have chat thread brain damage to be kept in it's own thread so I can not read it. Doesn't seem like a big ask. Before anyone tries to be like lol you're so mad or whatever: I'm at work, sitting on the toilet, my time has literally no value right now

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Office Pig posted:

Now wait until hear what their previous username was! :v:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Happy Thread posted:

Because I created half the posts in the CSPAM Happy Thread, another major themed thread. And also made it.

why would you name yourself after a thread you made

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

You are a feedback thread regular

I am here because someone invited us from the Epstein thread

So loving what. Why do you think this is an important distinction

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Office Pig posted:

why would you name yourself after a thread you made
Would you want to continue running around as Dumb Lowtax?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
You CHAT THREAD people and your crazy POSTING HEAD CANONS :argh:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

some plague rats posted:

I would like this stupid bullshit that's super annoying to anyone who doesn't have chat thread brain damage to be kept in it's own thread so I can not read it.

Once again, I'm going to ask: Is this a thing that actually happens with some frequency?

If so, followup, have you tried telling them to gently caress off or something?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Would you want to continue running around as Dumb Lowtax?

if lowtax were smart he'd still be running this joint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i also think chat threads are more vulnerable to that kind of shift in character. not even making GBS threads on them this time, it's just what happens with an online group you roll with. discord, steam friends, old tf2 servers. they're parasocial memories now.

People come and people go over years, and as such essential character will change. It's a thread that was on topic like a laser when something was going on, it just didn't slow down much when there wasn't. Very much a laboratory of postocracy where good ideas are forged in the fires of mass critique and bud off into their own threads sometimes when people get tired of talking about it

What I didn't like most of all about the moving it idea was the pitch that it would both not change anything for those who post there and they'd be welcome in other CSPAM threads, but also it would keep bad chat thread posters from polluting other threads or whatever. Both can't be true and it's a wholly unnecessary thing to do in the first place. Just let threads who feel especially aggrieved by Harton get their own Forums Resource Officer IK they can speed dial to make him stop or something