Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Catandaguin/status/1408203286214184961

So insane to just do this during the day lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:yeshaha:

that's some roger rabbit poo poo

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Loving the new Incredibles themed rooms at Contemporary. I think the theme fits in really well with the whole MCM vibe of Contemporary.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait so is all of Toon Town going away or just part of it?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tim Whatley posted:

I see the courthouse facade on the left, so it seems like they're tearing down the school and Five and Dime but keeping the City Hall? That's kind of wild to me, since City Hall seems like the most obvious place to put the queue entrance to that ride, as the steps are not ADA compliant and the immediate space around it needs rethinking anyway. It was intended to be a spot for character photo ops and had a little Small World style show that quickly stopped being used.

Everything in that area is from that weird 1990-ish period when Disney seriously thought that Roger Rabbit was going to be The New Mickey Mouse and needed to be integrated into everything.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Braksgirl posted:

Loving the new Incredibles themed rooms at Contemporary. I think the theme fits in really well with the whole MCM vibe of Contemporary.

Yeah I think if anything kind of encapsulates a vibe that would fit the Contemporary well, it’s the Incredibles. I like how kind of understated it is.

Rip to the Wave, but if the rumors of Steakhouse ‘71 are true then maybe they can Artist Point the hell out of The Wave instead of it being “that reservation that is available 100% of the time” a la Ale and Compass.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cais posted:

Yeah I think if anything kind of encapsulates a vibe that would fit the Contemporary well, it’s the Incredibles. I like how kind of understated it is.

Rip to the Wave, but if the rumors of Steakhouse ‘71 are true then maybe they can Artist Point the hell out of The Wave instead of it being “that reservation that is available 100% of the time” a la Ale and Compass.

As long as they keep the wave's grits I don't really give a poo poo what they do to the contemporary.

Incredibles is one of my favorite IPs but I'm pretty meh about the rooms. Then again, I like my Disney touches in my rooms to be like, CSR light.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

IDK if anybody's into Sea of Thieves or not and maybe you've heard about the free Pirates of the Caribbean campaign that launched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8KVJGJQBPU

Anyways it's insanely good and (parks stuff) the entire first part is a love letter to the ride featuring all the dialogue, music (even the queue music) and even pirates on a row boat going through a river while the dialogue tells them to keep their arms and legs inside the boat

I freaked out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

WDWNT got suspended off twitter

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

alg posted:

why

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably for being insufferable at times

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They spread false information and harass theme park employees. I hope they get banned from all social media.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Probably for being insufferable at times

It takes so much more than that to be banned on twitter. Like, specific, targeted threats or something equally malicious. Which is entirely predictable for that rear end in a top hat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

alg posted:

Between this and No FastPass what a great year for the parks.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Tim Whatley posted:

it has always confused me that the most common way to take down a building is to scrape at it with a big metal fork until it falls over and becomes a big pile of tetanus dust

like, you couldn't find some eccentric millionaire to pay to lift that iconic building off your lot, D'Amaro?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disneyland needs to stop focusing on carving out huge amounts of the facilities behind the place and focus more on better using the square footage in the original park. Tomorrowland especially just has so much poorly used property.

And the facilities that once occupied the land ToonTown sits on had once burned down from errant fireworks, so developing further and further back is folly (though Galaxy's Edge made it work by taking a chunk of Fantasyland and Frontierland.)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Craptacular! posted:

Tomorrowland especially just has so much poorly used property.
are you suggesting there may be some better use of land than Autopia

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Disneyland needs to focus more on better using the square footage in the original park. Tomorrowland especially just has so much poorly used property.

Aren't they doing just that by tearing down existing stuff? I'm not familiar with DLR though so I don't quite follow.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Knew it was too good to be true.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wonder why Twitter would think that

edit: looks like they raised boo bash capacity =/

alg fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 25, 2021

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lxetEGhEPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=speWMnG-M7w

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 26, 2021

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
What are the parks in the Washington DC area? I know there’s Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Six Flags America. Anything else? Oh I guess Hershey Park though that’s like a 2.5 hour drive..... but so is Busch so I guess I’ll count it.

Kings Dominion!

Did I miss any major ones? Omg I’m going to have to buy a car fast.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BlueBayou posted:

What are the parks in the Washington DC area? I know there’s Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Six Flags America. Anything else? Oh I guess Hershey Park though that’s like a 2.5 hour drive..... but so is Busch so I guess I’ll count it.

Kings Dominion!

How far are you willing to drive? Dorney Park (a Cedar Fair owned joint) in Allentown, PA is 3-3.5 hours. Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ is about the same. Kennywood in Pittsburgh is about 4. That one is my local park. I'd recommend checking it out at least once. It's small but it has several good coasters, some of them the only remaining type (or one of a handful) in the world.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

Kings Dominion!

Don't waste one second of your life at Six Flags America.

Busch Gardens is nice plus you can go to Williamsburg. King's Dominion is pretty good. Hershey Park is good and their best ride is free (Chocolate Factory Tour). If you go into PA you can go to Knoebels, which is charming and different or Dutch Wonderland (same ownership as Hershey Park, more kid-focused). Up in Philly they have Sesame Place which is fine if you like Sesame Street. None of these places do Disney or even Universal quality immersion, the best you really get is "nice amusement park." Hershey Park might be at the top of the list because of the Chocolate Factory tour dark ride (omnimover that is of disney level quality) and the museums and stuff in the surrounding town, which is quite nice and even has a legit resort.

Jose Oquendo posted:

How far are you willing to drive? Dorney Park (a Cedar Fair owned joint) in Allentown, PA is 3-3.5 hours. Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ is about the same. Kennywood in Pittsburgh is about 4. That one is my local park. I'd recommend checking it out at least once. It's small but it has several good coasters, some of them the only remaining type (or one of a handful) in the world.

yeah great adventure is pretty good

Anyway if you live in the DC area flights to Orlando out of BWI are pretty cheap.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Having always wanted to go, what’s wrong with six flags America?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TV Zombie posted:

Having always wanted to go, what’s wrong with six flags America?

It sucks. The rollercoasters break down all the time, it's dirty, there's a ton of teenagers there just hanging out because the annual passes are like 2x admission and it's in a well-populated area, the landscaping is very functional (the park isn't very pretty). The superman coaster is good if it's working. I haven't been in a long time because every time I go I'm reminded I don't like it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The fact that the other copy of Roar got the RMC makeover is such a kick in the chest to SF America. Our local Six Flags also gets passed over for anything worth a drat during the annual new attraction announcements (our last "new" coaster was 2013 and its a transplanted Boomerang), and I sympathize.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Anything past 2 hours and Im probably doing an overnight anyway, so 3+ hours is fine. I just moved to DC and am champing at the bit to hit parks.

I previously lived in Toronto for 2 years and Canada's Wonderland was closed THE ENTIRE TIME.

Salivating at how cheap tickets are to MCO from here. Im going to get annual passes for the Florida parks once I figure out how much I can travel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gonna strongly recommend against that Dr. Strange show, unless you want to sit on a concrete floor that's been baking in the sun all day

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Why were you sitting?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fartington Butts posted:

Why were you sitting?

The cast members told us too

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BlueBayou posted:

Anything past 2 hours and Im probably doing an overnight anyway, so 3+ hours is fine. I just moved to DC and am champing at the bit to hit parks.

I previously lived in Toronto for 2 years and Canada's Wonderland was closed THE ENTIRE TIME.

Salivating at how cheap tickets are to MCO from here. Im going to get annual passes for the Florida parks once I figure out how much I can travel.

One of the great things about the eastern seaboard is that a round trip ticket to anything more than four hours away is almost always less than the cost of gas to drive.

e: also, I-95 sucks, don't do it. Just trust me.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 29, 2021

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Boxman posted:

The fact that the other copy of Roar got the RMC makeover is such a kick in the chest to SF America. Our local Six Flags also gets passed over for anything worth a drat during the annual new attraction announcements (our last "new" coaster was 2013 and its a transplanted Boomerang), and I sympathize.
RMC is doing clones now with the Raptors, so there's still hope!

Speaking of RMC, I might get to ride Zadra this summer if all my park buddies can get a vax appointment in time(and Hyperion, Formula and Abyssus).

Dren posted:

None of these places do Disney or even Universal quality immersion, the best you really get is "nice amusement park."
I always find this to be a bit of a weird complaint because Disney and Universal are a tiny minority of parks with a $Disney Corp or $Comcast budget and a ride selection that is almost entirely indoor and/or low to the ground to make theming things relatively easy.

Theming is extremely expensive compared to rides themselves. How would you expect smaller chains or individual parks not attached to a media conglomerate megacorp to blow 8-9 digits on theming to promote an IP of some kind? Efteling, the largest park in the Benelux area(including the German ones close to the border) made €19m/y before covid. That's enough to build one Ratatouille every 11 years, and nothing else in the meantime. For comparison, they could rebuild both halves of Joris en de Draak into a RMC, separately, and still have enough money left over for a Raptor on a single year's budget if they decided to go on a coaster build spree.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I didn’t phrase it as a complaint, I phrased it as a statement to set expectations for someone who may not have been to any of those parks.

I looked up ownership of Hershey Park and Busch Gardens to see how huge the companies they are attached to are. Hershey Park I can’t tell how separate they are from the chocolate business but they seem still related. Hershey company revenue was $8 billion in 2019, Comcast was $103.56 billion so yeah, totally different ballgames. AB InBev ($52.33 billion) sold Busch Gardens to the Blackstone Group ($6.1 billion) in 2009. Obviously all these companies should be pouring money into their theme parks instead of their core businesses to make them Disney level and anthropomorphizing their products to create loveable IP. (Hershey made characters out of all their candy already and they are so close but they don’t stick the landing.)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Some people (like me) go to theme parks for theming. I don't need to ride rides that go 300mph and 500ft up in the air, and I don't need to eat lunch at McDonalds At Cedar Point

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

I don't need to ride rides that go 300mph and 500ft up in the air

Sometimes I fall off the carousel ponies so I need the child straps, so yes, gently caress those rides.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

alg posted:

Some people (like me) go to theme parks for theming. I don't need to ride rides that go 300mph and 500ft up in the air, and I don't need to eat lunch at McDonalds At Cedar Point

This is as big a part of it as anything. People have different expectations for their regional chains than they do from the national parks.

I'd actually be curious why this is the case; its obviously responding to consumer demand, but it's hard to argue that the parks themselves didn't set up that expectation. Cedar Fair has a reasonable excuse. I think their only independent IP are the Peanuts characters, which aren't super flexible for a themed environment. Six Flags, though, has had the rights to the Warners Bros catalog - so, Looney Tunes and DC Comics - since the 80s (I think). The company has existed with them for longer than its existed without them, but there's clearly very little appetite for all but the most basic theming at the parks, and I feel like it's gone down over time.

Of course, its worth noting that none of these things are necessarily exclusive - Herschend Family Entertainment manages to do wonderful (non-external IP!) theming at Dollywood and Silver Dollar City while maintaining a great collection of thrill rides.

EDIT:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sometimes I fall off the carousel ponies so I need the child straps, so yes, gently caress those rides.

Cedar Point has a thing that looks like a carousel but is so much more serious than that, haha.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 29, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

Cedar Point has a thing that looks like a carousel but is so much more serious than that, haha.

what a glorious way to die

if we're talking about kennywood I guess I gotta bring up Idlewild since my mom worked there and met my dad there and it was absolutely on most of my childhood PA trips.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Cedar Downs owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Omg I need to go to Cedar Point