Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SkunkDuster posted:

Aside from preventing you from removing trees that are preventing a landslide or are homes to endangered species, what other reasons might the city/state/county have for preventing you from cutting down your own trees on your own property?

Many jurisdictions have laws regulating tree removal because of environmental concerns, or just "we want to be a tree-y place" concerns. They will often require you to re-plant, or pay into a fund so that the locality replants on your behalf. More likely if you're in a blue suburb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SkunkDuster posted:

Aside from preventing you from removing trees that are preventing a landslide or are homes to endangered species, what other reasons might the city/state/county have for preventing you from cutting down your own trees on your own property?

Generally there is a desire to keep older trees, native trees, prevent runoff problems and a whole host of environmental issues, and to make sure Georgia Pacific doesn't just buy a plot of land and clear cut it without controls.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

One town I lived in was basically "don't touch anything that isn't a southern pine."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of TREE LAW, are there general rules for trees butted against a fence whose branches are hanging over your yard? Normally I'd just prune them but my neighbor are particularly chuddy assholes and I don't want to get in a fight with them. At the same time, the trees hanging over my fence are blocking sun for my garden. I will not pay a retainer and refuse to google the answer, thank you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Devor posted:

Many jurisdictions have laws regulating tree removal because of environmental concerns, or just "we want to be a tree-y place" concerns. They will often require you to re-plant, or pay into a fund so that the locality replants on your behalf. More likely if you're in a blue suburb.

Generally you want to look up your local watershed laws to find out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of TREE LAW, are there general rules for trees butted against a fence whose branches are hanging over your yard? Normally I'd just prune them but my neighbor are particularly chuddy assholes and I don't want to get in a fight with them. At the same time, the trees hanging over my fence are blocking sun for my garden. I will not pay a retainer and refuse to google the answer, thank you.

You are legally required to fist fight your neighbors.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

nm posted:

You are legally required to fist fight your neighbors.

mid-summer last year my kids were playing with one of those cheap remote control drones with no cameras or anything fancy and they flew it into their yard on accident. My kids asked the woman over the fence if they would give it back and she SCREAMED at them it's "hers now" and they're never getting it back. I asked through the fence why she can't just give it back and she told me to go to the front door and "talk to my husband about it". Dude that's clearly a huge doormat answered, I told him about the drone, he went to summon his wife, and she came to the door and proceeded to go OFF on how some the teenagers a couple houses down flew a drone over her backyard while she was sunbathing and how they tried to get pics of her nude, oh and also they've lived in THIS HOUSE for over 20 years and how they just want to LIVE IN PEACE and that there's a posted city ordinance about how it's illegal to fly drones over people's houses and that she'll call the cops.

Anyway, told her to show me the ordinance, pulled my phone out and told her sure, I'll call the cops for her, and like all chuds she immediately backed down and eventually gave back the stupid drone. Anyway that's my story and why I expect them to freak out over branches due to Don't Tread On Me or something.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Clearly you should cut them down, and then scream about how they went over the fence so they’re yours now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trees can be and are parts of storm water plans and also state and federal clean water plans so you'd be surprised what kind of jurisdiction the government has on your "fee simple" land.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

Trees can be and are parts of storm water plans and also state and federal clean water plans so you'd be surprised what kind of jurisdiction the government has on your "fee simple" land.

Has there been a ruling yet about why that isn't a regulatory taking of your god-given right to clear-cut your property

Because it seems like we're due

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Devor posted:

Has there been a ruling yet about why that isn't a regulatory taking of your god-given right to clear-cut your property

Because it seems like we're due

I guess I could look it up on Westlaw.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah, it's definitely this guy's fault for logging an acre, and totally not the fault of companies like British Petroleum, dumping millions of gallons of oil into the gulf because they are lazy.

10 companies are responsible for 70% of global emissions, but you want to blame some poster who wants to see a mountain.

You heat that a lot, but those statistics border on deliberately misleading depending on who's using them. It's not like ExxonMobil is setting all their oil on fire like a Captain Planet villain. They're selling oil to you and me, and we're setting it on fire. So these stats are not a reason not to be judicious in your impact as an individual.

Anyway OP, maybe plant some nice short trees of whatever variety the local wildlife likes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Yeah there's a lot of misguided hate about that. As an actual trained restoration biologist I'm going to say that maybe it's a good thing to clear it out and allow some understory and midstory to develop or maybe it's a terrible idea because it's virgin old growth forest. There's a lot of things he can do to thin the forest and create better wildlife habitat and improve the area. They probably can't help with the legal aspect but a local native plant society or master naturalist group would be a good free resource to help you if those are things you care about.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah there's a lot of misguided hate about that. As an actual trained restoration biologist I'm going to say that maybe it's a good thing to clear it out and allow some understory and midstory to develop or maybe it's a terrible idea because it's virgin old growth forest. There's a lot of things he can do to thin the forest and create better wildlife habitat and improve the area. They probably can't help with the legal aspect but a local native plant society or master naturalist group would be a good free resource to help you if those are things you care about.

My mom worked on a (fairly lefty) community forest task force, and holy loving poo poo, getting them to agree to any sort of forest clearing was a loving nightmare, with certain people comparing it to actual clear cutting. Eventually, it didn't happen. Whole place is gonna burn down someday and people will act like it was unpreventable. My mom was probably the only science person on the thing and eventually had to quit over a bunch of humanities people talking about what the science is.
I don't want to get into Trump's insane "raking the forest" poo poo but JFC, unless you're going to let the area burn occasionally, you need to do some thinning.

All that said, it sure should like OP wants to cut down everything, not thin, though I would suggest thinning would likely be better for everyone.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain von Trapp posted:

You heat that a lot, but those statistics border on deliberately misleading depending on who's using them. It's not like ExxonMobil is setting all their oil on fire like a Captain Planet villain. They're selling oil to you and me, and we're setting it on fire. So these stats are not a reason not to be judicious in your impact as an individual.

Anyway OP, maybe plant some nice short trees of whatever variety the local wildlife likes.

You're missing the point entirely, as long as the systemic change doesn't occur it really doesn't matter what you do as an individual, and the whole idea of carbon footprints and judicious use is just a way of drawing attention away from the fact that the economic structure of the world basically guarantees an environmental apocalypse, and as a way of accusing anyone who tries to do anything about it of hypocrisy.

And Exxon has known about climate change for about 40 years, and actively engaged in a disinformation campaign and intense lobbying efforts to avoid any ones ability to stop them from essentially lighting their oil on fire (what do you think internal combustion) means exactly? You light the oil on fire.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

pseudanonymous posted:

And Exxon has known about climate change for about 40 years, and actively engaged in a disinformation campaign and intense lobbying efforts to avoid any ones ability to stop them from essentially lighting their oil on fire (what do you think internal combustion) means exactly? You light the oil on fire.

Are you sure you read the post I wrote? :confused:

Anyway, don't worry about it, it's like we're going to solve the world economy in the legal thread.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

nm posted:

My mom worked on a (fairly lefty) community forest task force, and holy loving poo poo, getting them to agree to any sort of forest clearing was a loving nightmare, with certain people comparing it to actual clear cutting. Eventually, it didn't happen. Whole place is gonna burn down someday and people will act like it was unpreventable. My mom was probably the only science person on the thing and eventually had to quit over a bunch of humanities people talking about what the science is.
I don't want to get into Trump's insane "raking the forest" poo poo but JFC, unless you're going to let the area burn occasionally, you need to do some thinning.

All that said, it sure should like OP wants to cut down everything, not thin, though I would suggest thinning would likely be better for everyone.

A while back, I read on cracked.com (so not sure how valid this is) that the Smokey the Bear "Only you can prevent forest fires" campaign actually backfired because, without the smaller burns, there ended up being so much dead stuff and underbrush that when fires did eventually break out, they were bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

A while back, I read on cracked.com (so not sure how valid this is) that the Smokey the Bear "Only you can prevent forest fires" campaign actually backfired because, without the smaller burns, there ended up being so much dead stuff and underbrush that when fires did eventually break out, they were bad.

I don't think accidental campfire-origin unperscribed burns is the best way to accomplish the forestry management we're clearly not doing sufficiently (or at all in some areas).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

It's a combination of that and the belief that unburned forests are "natural." There's nothing natural about an overgrown forest full of dead stuff and easy to burn stuff that got that way because we both prevent it from burning and we prevent humans from clearing it.
Its that combination that got us fires so hot that Sequoia and Kings Canyon lost 1/3 of their sequoias, trees that literally depend on fire to reproduce and are able to survive almost any fire.

Motronic posted:

I don't think accidental campfire-origin unperscribed burns is the best way to accomplish the forestry management we're clearly not doing sufficiently (or at all in some areas).
No, but it led to a few generation also putting out any lightning fire as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

No, but it led to a few generation also putting out any lightning fire as well.

Now that's a completely different thing, and is part of the lack of forestry management I'm talking about.

I'm a structural firefighter, but I've worked with enough wildland firefighters, including with them on forestry scenes, to have heard a whole lot of opinions most of which averaged together is what I'm saying here. And when you're someone who "frequents" places that are on fire you start to see the same poo poo over and over and hear the same poo poo over and over (i.e. localities having groups that block management practices or simply not having the money to do them)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
God drat people the dude just wanted to cut some trees

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

God drat people the dude just wanted to cut some trees

Looks like someone here likes to loot and plunder. I'm a planeteer, though, cause saving our planet is the thing to do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

blarzgh posted:

Legal Questions: God drat the dude. Wanted to cut some trees!

On one example of the "why" beyond others provided, in hurricane areas, clearing the trees for your view of the marsh is sometimes the difference between minor roof damage and total destruction or death.

Also these are, well, laws; they have aggregate effects in their area. Everyone thinking they get to be an exception is...a problem.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Well, that blew up pretty quickly.

1) The plan is not to replant the trees because we like our view of the mountains.
2) This is in New Hampshire (live free or die!) so regulations are minimal
3) All of the area in question was all clearcut historically for firewood so none of the trees are older than 40 years old.
4) LOL at the whole idea of carbon offsets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

New Hampshire does have laws on how much timber you can cut down, and there's a tax per tree apparently from my quick searching. You should contact someone local who can answer your questions.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

daslog posted:

Well, that blew up pretty quickly.

1) The plan is not to replant the trees because we like our view of the mountains.
2) This is in New Hampshire (live free or die!) so regulations are minimal
3) All of the area in question was all clearcut historically for firewood so none of the trees are older than 40 years old.
4) LOL at the whole idea of carbon offsets.

literally googled "new hampshire logging laws"

https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000253_Rep274.pdf

Not a lawyer, and I didn't read much, but it's painfully obvious that laws exist and need to be followed. If you read the posts, I think the point of that entire conversation is that "regulations are minimal" is NOT the same as "regulations are non-existent." Many, MANY areas regulate this sort of activity for a plethora of reasons, ranging from aesthetic to environmental to taxation. poo poo, where I live I can't cut down anything more than 2" in diameter without approval from the city, and on certain parts of my property I'm prohibited from removing any vegetation due to a nearby protected stream.

You also gave zero context... is what a "bad idea?" Clearing the trees? Going in on a contractor with your neighbors? What aspect specifically do you think might be a bad idea?

For just tree removal in general, you would need to talk to a local attorney who knows that area of law to know for sure. States, counties, and cities each could have laws that tell you what you can/cannot do with trees. Nobody in this thread is going to be able to tell you that, and I wouldn't rely on a logger to be honest with you.

Generally speaking, flat out clear cutting several acres is probably not allowed without a permit or a specific process to follow.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 29, 2021

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm primary concerned with going in with the neighbors. We will probably make a few thousand dollars in profit from the loggers (who would take care of the permitting) and while I don't care if I make a dime in profit I can see where that might get ugly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

A couple of my neighbors and I have been informally discussing having a kicker come in and drop-kick some kittens off our land so we can get our non-kitten views back. I have about 4 acres of kittens to have punted, while other 2 have about 10 acres of kittens to kick each. Is this a bad idea?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

You gotta be kitten me with this stuff.

It's trees. They literally grow on trees!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
gently caress trees am I right? Don’t do anything except block my views and turn into furniture.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

You gotta be kitten me with this stuff.

It's trees. They literally grow on trees!

Don't listen to this idiot, OP murdered the entwives!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress trees am I right? Don’t do anything except block my views and turn into furniture.

And firewood. I have been slowly cutting down the trees on my own and using them to heat my house. Once I get through the five acres that I own, I'm hoping to buy a hundred acres in the Amazon rain-forest and do the same.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Idéfix! lover of trees…

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
God I love it when people don't ask 'what sort of lawyer do I need for x' questions. Its always gold

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Idéfix! lover of trees…

Dogmatix, en anglais.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Dogmatix, en anglais.

English only, phil doesn't grok any of that frog language.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What do people want a view of

A good view is pretty much definitionally a view of pretty trees

Cutting down the trees is counterproductive to that end

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What do people want a view of

A good view is pretty much definitionally a view of pretty trees

Cutting down the trees is counterproductive to that end

a view of many trees, in the distance, is preferable to a view of the one tree ten feet from the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I can imagine trees blocking a view of mountains in the distance but I would still want the trees. To pee on.

joat mon posted:

Dogmatix, en anglais.

It’s one of the better English names. Similar word play/joke—“idée fixe” (fixed idea) vs. dogmatic—but with a double entendre on the “dog” part.

Unlike, say, Chief Vitalstatistix (wtf) as opposed to Abraracourcix (à bras raccourcis, i.e. sleeves rolled, dukes up and ready to kick someone’s rear end)