Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Booky posted:

i really like a lot of ellis' work and stuff, so this isn't something coming from a Hashtag Hater, but :lol: at going on a bbc podcast to talk about twitter

:hmmyes:

e. sorry for the poo poo snipe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Oh god, this is funny.

Like...internet celebs do know that saying nothing is a valid response, right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Saying nothing doesn't get you clicks.

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

I'm gonna level with you Kunster, I'm not going to watch a two hour video to decide if I can think it's insufferable to hear someone use literally international news to complain about being 'the villain' months ago with some people saying she sucked and nothing else happening to her.

Oh yeah i definitely get that. I ain't saying that people should do that before judging her, was just pointing out that she did address that on her previous work.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Kunster posted:

Oh yeah i definitely get that. I ain't saying that people should do that before judging her, was just pointing out that she did address that on her previous work.

Which...you made a 2 hour long video on how cancle culture is bad. How did you think you were gonna look?

This is the quality content I come to this thread for.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 28, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pachylad posted:

This is extremely awkward to have to dip my toes into, given that a huge chunk of my distaste with Lindsay the last time was because of Jourdain's concurrent tweet thread about how she and Kyle were mistreated by Lindsay/Todd/Lina and co. ... and it turned out Jourdain at the very lest embellished a LOT of the narrative surrounding it.

I still think the best course of action for Lindsay was to just stop at the Patreon statement. Her die hard fans and haters have not been swayed by the video, and she heavily overestimated the number of fence sitters to the situation, least of all how online the whole drama was.

EDIT: one of my friends' response to that video, pretty much mirrors most of my thoughts on the situation (Feel free to disregard all this and think if the whole video was a waste of time if you want to, though?):

thats kinda my issue. i think lindsy does stupid poo poo and if you gently caress up online, just appologize and keep your head down for a while. but reading that various twitter threads about her. it was weird randos who basicaly dug through every video and tweet no matter how old to find evidence that they are an evil super reactionary. then this lady basicaly lies about everything because issues and is fine tossing her ex friend to the wolves because of weird spite poo poo that She herself created. like hot take, i think lindsay is probably tough to be around because of personality quirks and being too online, i think going on podcast about it is dumb, but i assume she was invited, so whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N5rqF25y9I

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh god, this is funny.

Like unironically no. If someone says nothing they either don't care about what's being said about them or are actively guilty of a crime. Like say Virgil Texas turning out to be a groomer then ghosting all his professional associates.

BigRed0427 posted:

Which...you made a 2 hour long video on how cancle culture is bad. How did you think you were gonna look?
Less cancel culture is bad and more compiling stalker lists like a SA mock thread in it's 80 trimester is bad.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
One detail in the Ellis is Cancelled, Long Live Ellis saga is that she clearly thinks the outrage is in bad faith, in her video she correctly identifies that if you just blow off the haters their power is completely gone and then just... doesn't do that.

Some people just wake up and choose violence podcasts.

If I ever become internet famous I'm going to built a giant trebuchet and throw myself into the sun.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 28, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

This is the kind of brain poisoning that keeps me coming back to these dead gay comedy forums.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The people who used the whole situation to dig up their ancient beef with Lindsay are idiots and that whole aspect to the debacle was not great. I don't think there's anybody really denying that. However... all of this started because Lindsay just could not take the L when one of her takes was called out as ignorant. She just had to respond with a smarmy clapback in a situation where all she had to do was say "yeah you're right, sorry" or even better: say nothing and just let the person vent. And then even after the whole thing blew up... it was all over in like a week. Lindsay "quit" Twitter for a bit and by the time she was back the entire thing had subsided because it was the lowest level internet outrage that's not able to sustain itself for very long.

Which sorry, kinda makes the whole two hour video + a podcast about my horrible online ordeal ring hollow.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

And someone else already mentioned it but I wanna try and go further in.

BBC, hell the British Media in general, has been doing the whole "Cancle Culture is bad" song and dance for years now. And a lot of it is cover for British celebrities who have been liberal or left leaning for decades now comming out swinging against trans people.

And you, a internet celebrity who has a decent following and consideres themselves a leftist, decided that feeding into that is a GOOD idea?

:psyduck:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Okay, okay, I'll add those to my cosplay list. Just for you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

BBC, hell the British Media in general, has been doing the whole "Cancle Culture is bad" song and dance for years now. And a lot of it is cover for British celebrities who have been liberal or left leaning for decades now comming out swinging against trans people.

And you, a internet celebrity who has a decent following and consideres themselves a leftist, decided that feeding into that is a GOOD idea?

this is v. unfair

they also do it for pedos

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

this is v. unfair

they also do it for pedos

Isn't that what all media around the world do?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There is no part the planet not aping the cancel culture discussions as the culture war is global. If something manifests in the US, it will inevitably manifest as a copy-paste on the other side of the Atlantic 1-5 years later. Keep up Americans.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pachylad posted:

This is extremely awkward to have to dip my toes into, given that a huge chunk of my distaste with Lindsay the last time was because of Jourdain's concurrent tweet thread about how she and Kyle were mistreated by Lindsay/Todd/Lina and co. ... and it turned out Jourdain at the very lest embellished a LOT of the narrative surrounding it.

I still think the best course of action for Lindsay was to just stop at the Patreon statement. Her die hard fans and haters have not been swayed by the video, and she heavily overestimated the number of fence sitters to the situation, least of all how online the whole drama was.

EDIT: one of my friends' response to that video, pretty much mirrors most of my thoughts on the situation (Feel free to disregard all this and think if the whole video was a waste of time if you want to, though?):

I agree with most of the points in your post and quote, but I think at least some of the video was "necessary". The initial junk about "Woaah was it bad how that woman who made a racist joke was fired while she was on an airplane?" played a bit to close to "bloo bloo cancel culture" crap to me. And I think it's dumb to put random tweets on blast, even if you censor out the names and avatars. But addressing all those tweets compiling every miscommunication, stupid life choice, raw personal drama, and years-old stalker hate kind of needed "answering", I guess? Anyone who wants to hear her side will watch it, and anyone who isn't interested will just post their assumptions based on third-hand information anyway. But also lol at how melodramatic the language on that podcast description is.

In short

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So ya'll suddenly cool with the r-word orrrr?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

John Murdoch posted:

I don't like or endorse the r-word

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Murdoch posted:

I beg your pardon?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

cum posted:

I beg your pardon?

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

John Murdoch posted:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sydin posted:

The people who used the whole situation to dig up their ancient beef with Lindsay are idiots and that whole aspect to the debacle was not great. I don't think there's anybody really denying that. However... all of this started because Lindsay just could not take the L when one of her takes was called out as ignorant. She just had to respond with a smarmy clapback in a situation where all she had to do was say "yeah you're right, sorry" or even better: say nothing and just let the person vent. And then even after the whole thing blew up... it was all over in like a week. Lindsay "quit" Twitter for a bit and by the time she was back the entire thing had subsided because it was the lowest level internet outrage that's not able to sustain itself for very long.

Which sorry, kinda makes the whole two hour video + a podcast about my horrible online ordeal ring hollow.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah these 2 posts sum up my thoughts on the situation. Also worth mentioning, Contra points is also still doing her "bloo bloo cancel culture" bit and doubleing down on defending Buck Angel while Angel is going full terf on twitter :ohno:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I figured I had to watch it in case people wanted feedback and since I've watched nearly everything she did, I might as well check it out so I could have a decent view of it. Specially since most of my surrounding group was hooting and hollering on how close it was to their experiences on art circles!

And while I regret watching it, I now can at least go "well here's what she did and didn't do" with a few white hairs from doing so. At least I was replaying a Tony Hawk title during it, which was a plus.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its very easy to not center yourself as a victim of an endless and bitter culture war by repeatedly reminding everyone you were actually

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

If Lindsay simply hadn't decided to criticize MY disney cinema, then she wouldn't have had to get cancelled.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

i believe cum is French, and so clearly is confused about the connotations of the word in English; thus "un mod retard--" a [habitually] late mod who sleeps past noon. an innocent mistake

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
this bit loving stinks.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

There is no need to get mad at each other in this thread over slurs, please don't make this an argument.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ButterSkeleton posted:

Talking about cancel culture is interesting stuff though! And i think Lindsay tends to be very through and fair in her assessments about these things.
It's interesting stuff in the same way as talking about Game of Thrones.

It was fun three years ago but now I'm bored of this fantasy world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh god, this is funny.

Not really when you'd have the same people complaining now saying "OOooh she won't even apologize or acknowledge it!" there is no real winning move with a subset of the extremely online people that make it their bag to stalk someone as long as people have her.

YOu say nothing you're labelled uncaring and clearly not learning from your mistakes.
You make a short simple acknowledgement or apology and clearly you're not doing enough to really learn from it or mean it.
You make a long video baring your soul about the years of harassment that people then use to prove you were always actually bad and this wasn't just a single mistake? "Hmmm I don't think this was the right move. It just gives those people even more ammo. You should have just nodded and accepted all it and move on."

Don't be online kids, it's really bad for you.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 28, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its not possible to make everyone love you so maybe the solution is to choose an appropriate response based on the faux pas and ignore people whose posts at you you dont want to see.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Junpei Hyde posted:

There is no need to get mad at each other in this thread over slurs, please don't make this an argument.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand what this post means. Is this language punishable or not in the current (sub)forum culture? If it is at moderator discretion I understand - there's a long history of not punishing sufficiently clever or nuanced employment of slurs.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

fun hater posted:

its not possible to make everyone love you so maybe the solution is to choose an appropriate response based on the faux pas and ignore people whose posts at you you dont want to see.

listen she said the words "cancel culture" so clearly she has already been absolved of any responsibility

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand what this post means. Is this language punishable or not in the current (sub)forum culture? If it is at moderator discretion I understand - there's a long history of not punishing sufficiently clever or nuanced employment of slurs.

I think it is somewhat hyperbolic to get mad at people for laughing at a high effort post because of a word it contains, and that this thread is not the place to litigate what kind of posting is acceptable.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
I don't think the "she should've just said nothing" is entirely valid because she probably didn't expect it to cascade as far as it did. She probably thought that replying to her critique will be just another humdrum.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

You two look very cute together. Hope you have a long and happy relationship.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think it is somewhat hyperbolic to get mad at people for laughing at a high effort post because of a word it contains, and that this thread is not the place to litigate what kind of posting is acceptable.

That's certainly one interpretation of my post.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Acute Grill posted:

One detail in the Ellis is Cancelled, Long Live Ellis saga is that she clearly thinks the outrage is in bad faith, in her video she correctly identifies that if you just blow off the haters their power is completely gone and then just... doesn't do that.

Some people just wake up and choose violence podcasts.

If I ever become internet famous I'm going to built a giant trebuchet and throw myself into the sun.

She didnt say that she thought it was ALL in bad faith. Her video was more for people like me I guess, who couldnt help but see all the stuff dug up and wonder about it. (Like the Mara Wilson story)
Even though I know it feels wrong to be interested in that
The new negative outcomes of the video probably mostly came from throwing a lot of tweets on screen (even if some were covered up with fake names or came from already banned users).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twitter just hits all kinds of weird dopamine and bad-emotion angles our primate brains have no idea how to process.

If my economic future depended on internet engagement, I bet my brain would get super hosed-up if thousands of strangers stared posting that I was wrong or bad or disgusting or subhuman filth that should die, or if they started naming my every posting sin in a loop, for eternity.

Shame and guilt are usually stabilized by being embedded in a community that serves people and that we serve, but being atomized on internet machinery designed to make money doesn’t do us any favors.