Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Derpies posted:

I had a 14 or so hour layover in Shanghai on the way to Sri Lanka once. I have had 14 hour lay overs in much worse airports.

I've been hungover at that Burger King on the second floor international departures more times than I can count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

So what radicalized everyone here?

When I found out the devious mainlanders stooped to cutting up drumsticks with cleavers. Nobody who does that could be even remotely trustworthy. Real countries do everything boneless so you can just inhale your food.

Either that or growing up with mostly taiwanese and honkie friends, with the Taiwanese living under threat of invasion while Hong Kong just slowly got worse and worse until we came to the situation now. While a few mainlanders I know couldn't even understand Taiwan is a different country.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ili posted:

When I found out the devious mainlanders stooped to cutting up drumsticks with cleavers. Nobody who does that could be even remotely trustworthy. Real countries do everything boneless so you can just inhale your food.

Either that or growing up with mostly taiwanese and honkie friends, with the Taiwanese living under threat of invasion while Hong Kong just slowly got worse and worse until we came to the situation now. While a few mainlanders I know couldn't even understand Taiwan is a different country.
My ex's parents fled the mainland not long after Mao died and bitterly recounted having to fake-cry at his funeral procession, yet her brother would inexplicably say stuff about Taiwan like "they just don't want to admit they're Chinese" :confused:

We're as far away from state programming as you can get and I'll never understand where that came from.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SerCypher posted:

For me it was his 'anti corruption' campaign. But yeah, similar time frame.

This exact thing. How suddenly everyone of importance was either sidelined or got taken down hard for corruption, with one absurdly glaring ommission.

President for life made me go "ofc, gently caress". Then Pooh made me go "ofc, lol"

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

TheBuilder posted:

I've been hungover at that Burger King on the second floor international departures more times than I can count.

It was a really nice airport and I want to know 0 of the massive human suffering and slave labor that probably went into building it. They sold me and my friend booze at 17 though because he was really tall and I don't want to forget that memory.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

ili posted:

All of my bones-in-food anecdotes actually come from Taiwan. A Taiwanese friend even told me that a western restaurant chain (Pizza Hut maybe?) had to create reconstituted bones to insert into their boneless ribs there because the Taiwanese demanded them.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Shanghai is cool as all heck.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Ok I love GBS but never read this thread. Since I'm defending it I will now.
(I'll read not post, I don't know jack poo poo about Asia.)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

On a macro level Hong Kong, the continuing history of Tibet, 9 dash line, etc., is hosed up but that one guy at my company who worked there for 20+ years and then got outed as a PRC agent was really a dick move on China's part. I've had to sit through so many loving training slideshows because of that rear end in a top hat.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rahu posted:

Wow, 10 dashes.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

quote:

An early map showing a U-shaped eleven-dash line was published in the then-Republic of China on 1 December 1947.[9] Two of the dashes in the Gulf of Tonkin were later removed at the behest of Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai, reducing the total to nine. Chinese scholars asserted at the time that the version of the map with nine dashes represented the maximum extent of historical claims to the South China Sea.[10] In 2010, the PRC published a new national map which incorporated a tenth dash.[citation needed] Subsequent editions added a tenth dash to the east of Taiwan island in 2013, extending it into the East China Sea.[11][12][13]

Because China Thread #1 intersects politics and global affairs we have unnamed posters trying to draw a similar line around it :v:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

not sure if i'd describe my PRC/CCP stance as radical, but i got here via hong kong, the nine-dash line, other needless geopolitical bullying, and the suppression of marxist students.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I first ordered a watermelon drink and it wasn't real watermelon, just some stuff that tasted like a jolly rancher

what the hell kinda country was this

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

WarpedNaba posted:

I was on the fence for a bit, but when Poohbear went straight to Dictator for life it was pretty obvious what was going to happen next.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When we get new thread rules, are we going to have to tow the line with all of the CCPs demands, or just a select list. I'm hoping it's more four rules than nine dashes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You can tow the line. You can toe the line even. You may NOT kowtow though due to the origins of the phrase.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 29, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Always good to remember that the tiny minority of posters rabbling over in QCS sincerely believe the massacre photos from Tiananmen were staged by the CIA using crisis actors.

But the mods allow them to post their purestrain insanity and open genocide denial freely on this website, despite their constant and increasingly fervent attempts to shut down any discourse they disagree with by weaponizing forums features such as the rap sheet and report button.

Food for thought.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rime posted:

Always good to remember that the tiny minority of posters rabbling over in QCS sincerely believe the massacre photos from Tiananmen were staged by the CIA using crisis actors.

But the mods allow them to post their purestrain insanity and open genocide denial freely on this website, despite their constant and increasingly fervent attempts to shut down any discourse they disagree with by weaponizing forums features such as the rap sheet and report button.

Food for thought.

This is all well and good but I’m pretty sure you’re the “I wish the virus killed more people guy” iirc so just in your case specifically the QCS superstars are actually right.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This is all well and good but I’m pretty sure you’re the “I wish the virus killed more people guy” iirc so just in your case specifically the QCS superstars are actually right.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'll cop to having made some over-the-line posts here that I didn't consider in the larger context of enduring stereotypes and the global wave of sinophobia, though I'm still angry after a year of people close to me telling me they lost friends and family because of something that started in A+ material for a PETA commercial. The latter would be true no matter where covid came from.

If the regulars want a different IK (God knows I named a few when I was approached) then I will happily step aside rather than have arsonists in waiting try to police speech in a thread I find very informative and funny.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I'm glad genocide-deniers and cia-minded conspiracy theorists are so concerned for the wellbeing of this thread they don't post in

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I am not. I find it disharmonius in the extreme....

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Shumagorath posted:

I'll cop to having made some over-the-line posts here that I didn't consider in the larger context of enduring stereotypes and the global wave of sinophobia, though I'm still angry after a year of people close to me telling me they lost friends and family because of something that started in A+ material for a PETA commercial. The latter would be true no matter where covid came from.

If the regulars want a different IK (God knows I named a few when I was approached) then I will happily step aside rather than have arsonists in waiting try to police speech in a thread I find very informative and funny.

I don’t think you’re doing a bad job or anything you said was particularly gross. Maybe not worded great in the context of rhetoric about China used later but that’s pretty nitpicky, it’s kinda obvious that it’s more about “QCS regulars” punishing posting enemies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Free Kovrig and Spavor, Taiwan #1, Free Hong Kong.

e: Xinjiang too.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 29, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

E: Am I doing this right? :ohdear:

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 29, 2021

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Shumagorath posted:

You made some off color jokes and now QCS regulars are pretending to be really mad about it. It's performative bullshit and has to stop at some point, why not the Straights of GBS?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

imagine being a prolific poster in the "let me speak to your manager" forum haha

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

d0s posted:

imagine being a prolific poster in the "let me speak to your manager" forum haha

why didn't marx or lenin simply ask to speak to their manager? makes u think.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Shumagorath posted:

This is extremely mature. :)
No threads should be removed from GBS.

I look forward to being educated maybe and entertained probably about a subject I know nothing about

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Our IK has lost the Mandate of Heaven, every poster for themselves!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im gonna need you all to start probing yourselves for a while while we work things out

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

14 hours, for each of the Xi Jinping thoughts, please

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Wait what, he actually stepped down? Why even bother?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

LimburgLimbo posted:

Wait what, he actually stepped down? Why even bother?

Fluffdaddy pulled Shuma's buttons, because Fluff thinks that Great Autismos post two pages back about his potentially genocided ex-girlfriend is "racist" and reflects on the threads general vibe or something. :shrug:

The Great Autismo! posted:

your friendly reminder that the uyghur girl I dated from xinjiang in 2012 simply vanished off all internet in 2018 and her friends don’t even know where she is

there may be a solid reason for it, however, given the nature of the situation in xinjiang, I am personally a bit trigger happy to tell people to loving eat poo poo when they come in with their absurd “well wait is this being funding by the CIA and it’s what they want u to think” absolute loving nonsense

Fluffdaddy posted:

The my Chinese Girlfriend bit set off all my racism alarms. Pulling buttons and hoping that we can find someone else to ik that thread.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 29, 2021

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

lmao loving what

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Great Autismo wasnt the IK tho? It was Shumagorath

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's extremely loving dark. Jesus.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Oh I didn't realize that there's now a specific thread in QCS for it. Boy do I love that in order to even know what's going on I apparently have to be a loremaster camping in several forums.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

nah pretty sure Fluffdaddy is referencing this post in the QCS thread

Shumagorath posted:

OP is mad I made fun of him until he got thread banned from the Google Stadia shark tank thread in loving Games.

Making fun of stux will cause him to read your entire post history; everyone should try it.

e:
Now that I've caught up with the thread: I am mad that government middle management graft perpetuated the perfect conditions for a zoonotic-origin virus to spawn (housing multiple species together in unsanitary conditions, one or more of which is a known coronavirus reservoir). I am mad Xi himself seems to have been complicit in the coverup that let the virus get out of control. I still am, because had those wildlife markets been closed like the top-level government ordered instead of kept open on the DL, we might have been spared four million deaths. I'm also mad that people on my side of the globe have had 18 months to figure out basic mask-wearing and still can't seem to manage even that.

My ex's family is Chinese Canadian and found the same things equally gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tbf that was referring to Shumagorath mentioning his ex girlfriend I think.

But either way yeah QCS dogpile that mysteriously happened after the thread got linked in CSPAM claiming it's full of racists and liberals and they should check it out.