Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Happy Thread posted:

You are a feedback thread regular

I am here because someone invited us from the Epstein thread

STOP MAKING LISTS OF POSTERS GODDAMNIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Raskolnikov38 posted:

STOP MAKING LISTS OF POSTERS GODDAMNIT

*adds you to the Anti-Listites list*

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

do it happy thread, i want to taste the bullet point b*tch :cool:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

when you think about it, nobody makes more lists of posters than astral

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Posting power grows out of a bullet point on a list

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Okay: you're weird. But seriously the problem is that this isn't happening, it's not getting squashed at all and the chat thread dumb fucks are never going to read the room and take the hint. Left alone they'll just do it more, as you pointed out yelling at them also makes them do it more, all that's left is mod action which hasn't been happening, hence the feedback I'm currently giving. I would like this stupid bullshit that's super annoying to anyone who doesn't have chat thread brain damage to be kept in it's own thread so I can not read it. Doesn't seem like a big ask. Before anyone tries to be like lol you're so mad or whatever: I'm at work, sitting on the toilet, my time has literally no value right now

Yeah I agree on all points. I guess what I'm trying to say is that more thread-specific IKs that know the tone of their thread that are willing to tell popular chat thread posters to shut up for 6 hours would be cool and good and way way better than whatever cesspit lead to idiots like squizzle and Flavius getting buttons because they were always going to be biased towards leniency/special privileges for their chat thread buddies and I think we agree more than we think we disagree?

And to bring up the games thread again, someone started beef posting or whatever the other night and no one really paid attention to it and it just kind of died out on its own.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

looking forward to the list of threads that are “real cspam” vs the pretenders

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
no true spamsmen

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Happy Thread posted:

You are a feedback thread regular

Don't post in this thread again.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

real cspam, provisional cspam, new cspam, official cspam...

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

Once again, I'm going to ask: Is this a thing that actually happens with some frequency?

If so, followup, have you tried telling them to gently caress off or something?

Just look at cumshitter posting in this very thread if you want to see how that normally goes and how unbelieveably irritating it is to read

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Azathoth posted:

real cspam, provisional cspam, new cspam, official cspam...

I call dibs on the Provo cspam

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I call dibs on the Provo cspam

Provolone Spam

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

when you think about it, nobody makes more lists of posters than astral

:raise:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

smarxist posted:

I think it's really weird and foolish to try and either navigate towards, or pine for, the energy that existed here under completely different circumstances/material conditions, 4 years or even 2 years ago. Posters are always going to cycle through and move on to other poo poo, some come back, some don't, new people take their place (generally in a diminishing returns way)

The focus should be on making what and who is still here as good as it can be, ameliorating tensions between disparate groups and what they consider to be "good posting" (just stay the gently caress away from each other tbqh), because it's wholly subjective and stupid as gently caress to argue the medium instead of just having a conversation about a current event, political news, social phenomenon, a hobby or whatever else we catch in the nets here.

CSPAM is still pretty great despite a lot of the strife and it's more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" type of thing than it is a laser focused, orderly experience with predictable content and quantifiable rulesets rigorously enforced. I post in a lot of different threads, and read a lot more even if I don't feel the need to participate, and I still pick up a lot of interesting knowledge from people sharing their experiences in ways that aren't possible in more rigidly structured posting environments centered on one topic.

So tl;dr just get some reliable, neutral queue janitors to hand time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people, and let the board continue doing what it does.

I agree with this post and the general feel of what CSPAM should be.

The "time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people" is always going to be a judgement call, so there will always be errors in probes/lack of, but as long as you have people willing to have discussions about poo poo, things can be corrected and people can move on.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think it's hosed up how people who don't like the best NBA team (the mavericks) are allowed to post in CSPAM.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

if you have ever played cricket and don't hail from any of the legendary jamaican teams who played in spite of the imperial anglo then you need to take yourself a little trip to qcs and beg for a regular old ban if you don't want to face righteous permanency

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There are unironic golden state and lakers fans too, that's shameful.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Epic High Five posted:

Hell we made boosted an IK and he STILL wouldnt wear the hat

a failure of posting unmatched in its stupidity

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think it's hosed up how people who don't like the best city (Philly) are allowed to post in CSPAM.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think it's hosed up how people who don't like the best NBA team (the mavericks) are allowed to post in CSPAM.

these lists must end, no more playoff brackets

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Mark Cuban is such a nouveau riche weirdo billionaire but you can see the scumbag Pittsburgh boy in everything he does

He fascinates me how out of his depth he can go and still succeed just because he has the infinite money cheat on

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Schnorkles posted:

a failure of posting unmatched in its stupidity
"boosted wear the hat" was just the first fail aids cspam catchphrase
:goonsay:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I like the New England Patriots :)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCN56ZUSD0

welllllllllll, my old ‘spam is a Provo with a beret and a pun
I haven’t seen them lately they’re always on the run
they look so really trendy, in their posts and PM loot
far cooler than those other ‘ourms with their cites and ‘raphs and bruit

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

please come and join the baseball thread we're friendly and would love you to be part of our c-spam sub culture where we mostly get angry about management and bonds not being in the hall.

in the spirit of the feedback thread i'd mostly say that having thread specific IKs is very important because the groups are incredibly different and often times don't intersect well. A mod probably should more just exist above the IK's and follow their suggestions, but the Squizzle/Flavius/etc. situation where a trump thread person rolls into the COVID thread and goes to town is going to piss everyone off.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Before we cast stones at poor posting weirdos we should look inward at the contents of our (your) own databases

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

bonds not being in the hall.

still!?!? lmao god i hate baseball writers

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Let's be fair, iirc it was radium who abused lists mercilessly

(lil programming humor for ya)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

*Fixed a bug where the drop down menu list for forums would not populate until after the latest bitcoin block was mined

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

smarxist posted:

still!?!? lmao god i hate baseball writers

its so egregious that out of the park baseball had to specifically code them not letting him in because he'd get 99.8%+ votes every single year if they didn't.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

PHP is all associative arrays
Literally for everything

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

please come and join the baseball thread we're friendly and would love you to be part of our c-spam sub culture where we mostly get angry about management and bonds not being in the hall.

in the spirit of the feedback thread i'd mostly say that having thread specific IKs is very important because the groups are incredibly different and often times don't intersect well. A mod probably should more just exist above the IK's and follow their suggestions, but the Squizzle/Flavius/etc. situation where a trump thread person rolls into the COVID thread and goes to town is going to piss everyone off.

i think it is silly to mod somebody who has a "home thread" in the first place. i read succ zone, covid thread, trump thread, capitalism thread, all kinds of threads, and the weirdest thing to me is when a mod i know and like from their posts elsewhere comes charging in with a total lack of understanding of the thread they're trying to moderate even when it's a long-standing thread that they probably should understand. this has happened a lot in succ zone particularly. nobody with a very thread-specific vision for what cspam "is" should be ranked higher than IK.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Let's not neglect to mention euphronius' NBA emporium of deeply cursed but probably true opinions

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

some plague rats posted:

Just look at cumshitter posting in this very thread if you want to see how that normally goes and how unbelieveably irritating it is to read

don't sign yr posts [this is a joke]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

I like the New England Patriots :)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thank you mods

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

smarxist posted:

I think it's really weird and foolish to try and either navigate towards, or pine for, the energy that existed here under completely different circumstances/material conditions, 4 years or even 2 years ago. Posters are always going to cycle through and move on to other poo poo, some come back, some don't, new people take their place (generally in a diminishing returns way)

The focus should be on making what and who is still here as good as it can be, ameliorating tensions between disparate groups and what they consider to be "good posting" (just stay the gently caress away from each other tbqh), because it's wholly subjective and stupid as gently caress to argue the medium instead of just having a conversation about a current event, political news, social phenomenon, a hobby or whatever else we catch in the nets here.

CSPAM is still pretty great despite a lot of the strife and it's more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" type of thing than it is a laser focused, orderly experience with predictable content and quantifiable rulesets rigorously enforced. I post in a lot of different threads, and read a lot more even if I don't feel the need to participate, and I still pick up a lot of interesting knowledge from people sharing their experiences in ways that aren't possible in more rigidly structured posting environments centered on one topic.

So tl;dr just get some reliable, neutral queue janitors to hand time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people, and let the board continue doing what it does.

I'm not an important CSPAMMER, but this is a good post.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Let's not neglect to mention euphronius' NBA emporium of deeply cursed but probably true opinions

legit one of the best threads on the forums

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think it would help immensely if posters remembered that this isn't like, a direct action or hard politics forum and to stop taking everything in here so goddamned seriously. like yeah we can have serious convos / threads and do real-world poo poo but 95% of the time it's just people shitposting and nothing anyone says matters or will create a sea-change in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

smarxist posted:

I definitely agree but history shows that it's a bit difficult to actually do. One of the most even-keeled IK's we've ever had was Baloogan, despite his brand of posting. Ultimately he was permad by FAU for posting a Melania Trump glamour shot with the wrong url. So it goes.

I think this is complicated by the fact that aggression is taken to be part of the CSPAM experience. Taintrunner was the most aggressive poster in CSPAM for a long time, so much so that he got a bit of a cult-y following, and in the end that wasn't what he was permad for because of the expectation of aggression. Due to that a lot of the probes and bans I've seen handed out in threads that are going through kerfuffles tend to be against folks either being aggressive against the wrong person or for going against the thread zeitgeist and meet aggression with aggression. I'm generally content to let things play out, though, so maybe my idea of what you mean by aggression is off.