Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What's the UV equivalent difficulty sweet spot in Prodeus? I played the first couple maps on hard but it seems too easy so far. Does the highest difficulty have some gimmick that makes it unfun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

It was a bug in the PC version, console copies didn't play as if you were a glaucoma sufferer.

What? Really? No. That's... I picked it up well after release, shouldn't they have fixed that?

EA never put out any patches, did they.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
360/PS3 era PC-port-of-console-games were typically total poo poo, yeah.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shoeberto posted:

360/PS3 era PC-port-of-console-games were typically total poo poo, yeah.

Aka the "PC gaming is dead!" era of gaming media.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Are there any other good quake 1 map packs I should be trying? I've gone through Arcane Dimensions and most of Alkaline

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WilWheaton posted:

Are there any other good quake 1 map packs I should be trying? I've gone through Arcane Dimensions and most of Alkaline

I liked Dimension of the Past a lot by the new Wolfenstein devs. It's very vanilla though.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Underbright Overdark (copper), Dwell, SMEJ 1/2, Warpspasm, Rubicon 1/2/Rumble Pack, January Jump Jam, The Punishment Due, Ter Shibboleth Redux, Something Wicked This Way Comes or any of the jam packs on quaddicted, really. Too much to mention in one post.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Thanks! that should keep me going

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1409275543888015368?s=20
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1409288443805401088?s=20

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i've been working on a doom wad (mod even?)

i'd love some playtesters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6H92ZvOUt0

details/download are in this doom world thread https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/122889-neverwad/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Boutta play Quake 4 for the first time because a) I had no idea it was available on Steam and b) it's on sale for like 5 bucks. I'm one of those weirdos who likes Quake 2 so hopefully it's a decent enough distraction.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Boutta play Quake 4 for the first time because a) I had no idea it was available on Steam and b) it's on sale for like 5 bucks. I'm one of those weirdos who likes Quake 2 so hopefully it's a decent enough distraction.

It's pretty decent. Make sure yo do some widescreen setup and I'm sure you'll hate the vehicle sections. The rest is good enough in my opinion.

The game went down time ago from Steam and got back up once Bethesda got the rights for it since it was a Raven game published by Activision (id IP).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Boy howdy these weapon sfx are a no go. Gonna have to pause for a day while I break out audacity and wavepad fix this poo poo myself. Devs hire me to determine if your weapon and pickup sound effects suck poo poo or not I'll take free lunch as payment.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Q4 is entirely fine.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Every odd-numbered Quake is a masterpiece, so I can't wait to see what Beth is cooking up for us.

I'm never gonna get to shoot nails into Lovecraftian spawn in impossible Escher & Geiger-like nightmare dimensions, am I? Man, imagine the cool level design you could do with modern hardware.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Tom did Mt. Erebus? We're just finding this out now?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hi John, hope you're doing well, but Tom Hall disagrees on the authorship of E3M6 https://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/toms-games/

quote:

What levels did Tom do? Level 1-4, first half of 1-8, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-7, 3-3, and 3-7. Some of them were subsequently retextured to be episode-appropriate and stuff, and the new monsters were added.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

anatomi posted:

Every odd-numbered Quake is a masterpiece, so I can't wait to see what Beth is cooking up for us.

I'm never gonna get to shoot nails into Lovecraftian spawn in impossible Escher & Geiger-like nightmare dimensions, am I? Man, imagine the cool level design you could do with modern hardware.

There is Scorn. If it ever comes out anyway...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

anatomi posted:

You could always just reskin the original prey.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Doombringer is surprisingly good fun for something that looks like the fake fps game they have a background character playing in a mid 00s telly show. Good movement and the later maps in episode 1 are pretty decent too. A lot of jank, but charmingly earnest jank.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

koren posted:

Doombringer is surprisingly good fun for something that looks like the fake fps game they have a background character playing in a mid 00s telly show. Good movement and the later maps in episode 1 are pretty decent too. A lot of jank, but charmingly earnest jank.

Yeah that game looks fun but it's got probably the absolute worst player character design I've seen in a retro shooter yet. Just utter dogshit.

Also now that the guns don't sound like poo poo Quake 4 is pretty fun. I appreciate playing something so straightforward. There are guys, you shoot 'em, as you progress you collect more weapons that shoot gooder. I like it. Haven't hit the vehicle sections yet though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

It's pretty decent. Make sure yo do some widescreen setup and I'm sure you'll hate the vehicle sections. The rest is good enough in my opinion.

The game went down time ago from Steam and got back up once Bethesda got the rights for it since it was a Raven game published by Activision (id IP).

True story the Original rocket launcher got added to TF2 when Quake 4 got added to Steam the first time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I enjoyed my single playthrough of Quake 4 but don't think it'll be something I'll ever play again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barudak posted:

There has to be a way to remove weapons from my mouse scroll in Prodeus. I see this "loadout" box in between missions but it doesn't let me get rid of the double machine pistols, a weapon that just makes it harder for me to switch between actually useful guns.

I somewhat have this problem with the new Wolfenstein games.

Its cool you can dual wield smgs like the old wolf3d but uhhhh I kinda never want to do it, accuracy is poo poo, but every time I press 4 to switch to smgs I accidentally press it again or press 3 instead and now I've got 2 lugers out and I have to press it again to switch back to one luger before I switch to the smg or I'll have two lugers next time I switch...

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Want to take a moment to appreciate Quake 4’s movement mechanics. The crouch sliding in multiplayer was pretty incredible. Shooting projectiles through teleporters was super cool too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Call me crazy but I've played through Quake 4 like four times compared to the two of Vanilla Doom 3 (and one BFG edition).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More FPS campaigns should constantly upgrade your weapons throughout in order to keep them all viable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The United States posted:

More FPS campaigns should constantly upgrade your weapons throughout in order to keep them all viable

I'd like to see more of the Bioshock approach, where you can upgrade your guns as you go and you have to pick what order to upgrade them in.

I guess Doom 4 sorta does that with the upgrades.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Guillermus posted:

Call me crazy but I've played through Quake 4 like four times compared to the two of Vanilla Doom 3 (and one BFG edition).

I had no issues with it on both of my plays - once on a contemporary build where it ran kinda rear end most of the time, then again years later with a beefy build. It is just overwhelmingly fine.

I like to revisit Doom 3 sometimes for the mood of it, but Q4 doesn't really have much of a unique identity in that sense.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah [Doombringer] looks fun but it's got probably the absolute worst player character design I've seen in a retro shooter yet. Just utter dogshit.

I remember when kristus first posted screenshots of that model on Doomworld many, many years ago and I thought the hat was kinda weird. People also pointed out to him that the pistol renderings he showed made absolutely no sense if you understood how firearms function but he refused to budge on that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

david_a posted:

People also pointed out to him that the pistol renderings he showed made absolutely no sense if you understood how firearms function but he refused to budge on that.

To be fair, this kinda is in line with the retro shooter aesthetic.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah firearms in retro shooters function under the RED WUNZ GO FASTA warhammer 40k rules, they don't even need to be reloaded and merely stepping on ammunition suctions it up into the gun like magic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You jest but if nudoom had tied upgrades to doomguys believing in big guns makes them rip and tear better and so they do, instead of the god armor, it would've been way cooler

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sure sure, but this issue was that the magazine was completely flush with the front of the gun - IE there is no barrel. I tried to find a picture of it but it looks like he may have tweaked it a little since the first shots.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It feels weird that there's no pistol in Doom Eternal. It's like when they got rid of the overhead view in GTA Vice City, it served no practical gameplay purpose any more but it still feels weird not to at least have it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Convex posted:

It feels weird that there's no pistol in Doom Eternal.

Maybe you're already aware, but they got as far as implementing a brand new pistol in Eternal (not just the 2016 one) and ended up not using it :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylF0QyQOYCQ

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gloomlike FPS, Unvanquished just hit Open Beta.
https://www.moddb.com/games/unvanquished/news/unvanquished-052-beta-is-there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whereas modern shooters have true-to-life, realistic guns like this one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

site posted:

You jest but if nudoom had tied upgrades to doomguys believing in big guns makes them rip and tear better and so they do, instead of the god armor, it would've been way cooler

Correct.

ID needs to get the 40k license and make an ork game, you're totally right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
WTF

https://twitter.com/gga_ghostlord/status/1409662811270123523?s=21