Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
C'mon.

It's not like it was a printer or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

They're just carrying the 1...backwards

They're "borrowing from their neighbor." That's how kids are taught to subtract. Although it doesn't work when the number is 10-19.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

No joke they never told us when they were teaching in gradeschool, about an exclusion for the teens, so I, a dummy, have done that before. Replaced a 19 with 119.
:eng99:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

By popular demand posted:

Bad choice for a wingman bro, who's gonna pay any attention to you when the big JC is around? you'd be lucky to get home with anyone, and they are likely to be abstaining until marriage.

"When you saw only one set of footprints, that is when I was slamming both girls."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It does work for the teen numbers... It just doesn't help.

The idea is that kids should have add/sub facts to 20 memorised.

Now I'm interested how other countries taught subtraction though? I thought that kind of algorithm was basically standard in public education systems the world over. Until about 20 years ago at least, when people started realising that drilling algorithms into kids doesn't really help to develop their mathematical reasoning.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bike tory posted:

It does work for the teen numbers... It just doesn't help.

The idea is that kids should have add/sub facts to 20 memorised.

Now I'm interested how other countries taught subtraction though? I thought that kind of algorithm was basically standard in public education systems the world over. Until about 20 years ago at least, when people started realising that drilling algorithms into kids doesn't really help to develop their mathematical reasoning.

Kids need both. Doing simple math in your head quickly is a really useful skill, and hammering algorithms to help kids do it is valuable. Math reasoning is important, too, to develop good problem solving skills. It's not a one or the other situation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

It's not a one or the other situation.

Absolutely, but until relatively recently only one was taught.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bike tory posted:

Absolutely, but until relatively recently only one was taught.

I suspect this is going to be highly school system dependent, and likely dependent on the individual school. There is a ton of variability in American education, which means that it's hard to generalize about "this subject was taught this way at this time."

Anecdotally I can say that I got both in a decent (but not great) suburban public high school. You have the rote algorithmic stuff to get you through specific tasks, but then you also had problem solving stuff like word problems etc to try and get you to implement those tools in a less bounded scenario.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anecdotally I can say that I got both in a decent (but not great) suburban public high school. You have the rote algorithmic stuff to get you through specific tasks, but then you also had problem solving stuff like word problems etc to try and get you to implement those tools in a less bounded scenario.

And then you had people complaining about word problems and saying they hate them and are hard, with no insight into how this suggested they'd memorized processes but hadn't actually learned math.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And then you had people complaining about word problems and saying they hate them and are hard, with no insight into how this suggested they'd memorized processes but hadn't actually learned math.

I hated word problems because I was taught that the answer to the word problem "Billy and Joe walk to the market. Billy buys three apples and Joe buys two. How many apples do they have together?" was not "5" but to write out "Q. Billy and Joe walk to the market. Billy buys three apples and Joe buys two. How many apples do they have together? A. They have five apples together."

I just wanted to get to the math, dammit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I suspect this is going to be highly school system dependent, and likely dependent on the individual school. There is a ton of variability in American education, which means that it's hard to generalize about "this subject was taught this way at this time."

I'd imagine "word problems" for you was still about trying to identify correctly whether to use the one addition, subtraction, multiplication or division algorithm that you'd been taught though. That's more what has changed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't know that the takeaway here is that clear cut. Word problems are slightly infamous for tripping up people who can't read well, which yes, get better at reading too, win win. Except reading skill progress is very correlated to how good your Pre-K was which correlates to being well off and also if you get better at reading later you might already be excluded from advanced math classes for not being good enough at reading when you were 10. To say nothing about cultural contexts built into the word problems which means even if you can read well maybe you just don't understand what's going on in the question because it's something you've never heard about.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If there are fifteen crows on a fence and the farmer shoots a third of them, how many crows are left?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So we're posing word problems? That seems really loving lame.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fried Watermelon posted:

If there are fifteen crows on a fence and the farmer shoots a third of them, how many crows are left?

Fifteen, because more will take the places of the fallen in defiance of the bourgeoisie rentseeking farmer no matter what force he brings to bear.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Someone is gonna eat ET.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lmao @ the dolly parton license plate

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It finally happened!

It's just a Mii-outfit and people are reacting as expected.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Tekkenman and dante are cool and all but unless the last DLC character is rollback netcode what's the point?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dale-Taco posted:

Someone is gonna eat ET.

Yes, that's the joke.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Dixville posted:

Lmao @ the dolly parton license plate

As someone from Tennessee, I can inform the thread that yes, the Dolly license plates are real, and proceeds from ordering these plates help fund her Imagination Library, a worldwide nonprofit that gives a book every month *for free* to children from the time they're born until they turn five, doing absolutely bonkers work at helping to curb childhood illiteracy.

I have a Dolly vanity plate.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Screaming Idiot posted:

Fifteen, because more will take the places of the fallen in defiance of the bourgeoisie rentseeking farmer no matter what force he brings to bear.

It's actually 5 on the left. The others are on the right.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dolly is a loving treasure.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cryte Lynn posted:

As someone from Tennessee, I can inform the thread that yes, the Dolly license plates are real, and proceeds from ordering these plates help fund her Imagination Library, a worldwide nonprofit that gives a book every month *for free* to children from the time they're born until they turn five, doing absolutely bonkers work at helping to curb childhood illiteracy.

I have a Dolly vanity plate.

I'll fight any idiot who hates on Dolly.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dolly owns.

Unrelated:

Dudes rock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Making a urinal out of a keg is kind of neat.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Android Apocalypse posted:

Making a urinal out of a keg is kind of neat.

They do that thousands of times a day at the Budweiser factory.

Folks,

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VanSandman posted:

I'll fight any idiot who hates on Dolly.

I'm with you and I've never even been to Tennessee.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Dolly owns.

Unrelated:

Dudes rock.

I go to a bar that has one of these and yes it’s as fun as it looks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zedprime posted:

I don't know that the takeaway here is that clear cut. Word problems are slightly infamous for tripping up people who can't read well, which yes, get better at reading too, win win. Except reading skill progress is very correlated to how good your Pre-K was which correlates to being well off and also if you get better at reading later you might already be excluded from advanced math classes for not being good enough at reading when you were 10. To say nothing about cultural contexts built into the word problems which means even if you can read well maybe you just don't understand what's going on in the question because it's something you've never heard about.

I wasn't intending to engage with this point, but you're absolutely right. I went to school in an area with a lot of immigrants, and the teachers expected the, eg, kids from Bolivia or Korea to mess up word problems a bit, but I'm sure some, also eg, dyslexic native speakers had a bad time. It's just that my area was also rich as fuuuuuuck. I took an astronomy class in high school at my school's planetarium. I can't imagine what it was like in districts without that level of resources.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

can you pee at the side wall and it sort of flows around the inner wall on its way down?
is it as amazing as it sounds consistently every time?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I hate the maths questions designed to trick you. Like throwing in a random negative question in some poorly written and incredibly clunky way.

"Billy has a box of ten apples. Jenny takes three. Timmy takes one and gives it to Jenny. How many apples doesn't Billy have?"

Or "Choose the least incorrect answer" after 20 questions asking to choose the correct answer.

Then you get to university and not once, ever, do they pull bullshit like that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hate the maths questions designed to trick you. Like throwing in a random negative question in some poorly written and incredibly clunky way.

"Billy has a box of ten apples. Jenny takes three. Timmy takes one and gives it to Jenny. How many apples doesn't Billy have?"

Or "Choose the least incorrect answer" after 20 questions asking to choose the correct answer.

Then you get to university and not once, ever, do they pull bullshit like that.

Thats because poo poo like that has nothing to do with learning or teaching, its just forms of abuse to keep kids on their toes.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

They do that thousands of times a day at the Budweiser factory.

Folks,

The sleeper hit of the page, people, despite slandering the good people of České Budějovice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Biplane posted:

Thats because poo poo like that has nothing to do with learning or teaching, its just forms of abuse to keep kids on their toes.

Not just kids, my yearly training courses I have to do for work also have trick questions, to the point I spend more time trying to figure them out than the training and I still get it wrong after doing the same course for years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason using trick questions in any other context gets you deservedly punched in the nose.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I was just laughing because of the combo of dolly parton and "cruising for pussy," the fact that the license plate exists is awesome actually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If you can't make the urinal doily (shut up that's official name now) spin with your blast, I'm pissing on the floor instead!

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Re: Accessible Math Chat — It’s not a funny picture in the least, but several teachers have been found unironically using a set of word problems that were written by some Boomer as a :airquote:“joke”:airquote: to point out how terrible it would be for math classes to acknowledge Black people, because then all they’d teach is about drugs and hoes and that (c)rap music and those kids need to pull their drat pants up did you know flashing your headlights is a gang sign.

Having learned that, here’s some of Daddies Sauce to cleanse all 1 whole KB of memory of your mental RAM:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kinda looks like Samus Aran.