Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

metachronos posted:

It was a while ago for me but I think Helldump was supposed to stick to on-forums or online stuff only so no doxxing but I could be wrong. It seemed like it just kinda burned out because after a while people had called out all the high-profile posters and it burned itself out.

Yeah, helldump turned into going after increasingly less and less interesting people for more and more bullshit reasons. There was a lot of internet detecting that went too far imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean wasn't half of CSPAM originally serious Trump fans? Like I vaguely I recall it was started as a containment zone for annoying Bernie Bros and Trumpers making GBS threads up D&D.

I could be wrong but I definitely remember there were some real pieces of poo poo that actually legit seemed pro Trump back in 2015.
It's started as a rules-lite election subforum for D&D, so yes, it started out with all sorts. But four years is a lot of time and

Inceltown posted:

Libertarians not being able to hold their own ground in the marketplace of ideas will never stop being funny.
+

Epic High Five posted:

I dont think a right winger would be like, instant banned or anything, but there is a reason why every one that was around ended up self-banning with a racist screed or similar and it wasnt targeted harassment campaigns, it was because they dont actually want to debate or argue about anywhere where there is no manager to cry to and there are shitloads of places on the internet that cater to that they so all left (or declared themselves the god of communism after a cough syrup binge)
took their toll over time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

As far as law enforcement, haven't several admins stated that yeah, law enforcement has reached out just to the staff about stuff a few times?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm sure there was a thread in GBS at some point where GBS mods posted some of the most insane reports they received but I might be misremembering

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, LF was very much the precursor to CSPAM in that there were really three types of threads:
* interesting effortposts about American or world politics (1% of threads but it’s all some people remember)
* just the stupidest shitpost threads, just absolutely completely stupid and unfunny (98% of threads)
* active attempts to get people to commit violence (1% of threads but it’s all the other people remember)

I make no comment on whether those ratios are the same for current CSPAM.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Fish Steer A Dhow thread about the national culture and religion of the United States was extremely funny and good.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

RFC2324 posted:

As far as law enforcement, haven't several admins stated that yeah, law enforcement has reached out just to the staff about stuff a few times?

I don't recall any specifics but yes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the main difference between lf and cspam is that people still had hope back then so the general mood was different. Like the hard core maoist third worldists were talking about murdering the bourgeois from a triumphalist perspective. Now it's much more desperate and waiting for the inevitable fascist blood bath to begin. Things sure have changed in just over a decade.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I know this would never happen but I'd love a PFY thread where mods / people who can see reports post no context whack rear end reports they get.

I'm sure goons would take it too far and attempt to located the offending post but it would be funny to see some of these more asinine ones sometimes.

Almost all the reports filed under Bullshit (that is, actually bad reports as opposed to just ones that the mod isn't taking action on) are from some poster or other spamming 10 reports at somebody who pissed them off, or sending the mods whiny messages in the report reason. There aren't that many funny reports.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

the main difference between lf and cspam is that people still had hope back then so the general mood was different. Like the hard core maoist third worldists were talking about murdering the bourgeois from a triumphalist perspective. Now it's much more desperate and waiting for the inevitable fascist blood bath to begin. Things sure have changed in just over a decade.

Yeah I can’t say that I have political hope any more, but I can’t give up fighting on for what I believe. It sucks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PiCroft posted:

Apologies if this has come up, but what exactly led to the downfall of LF and Helldump? I’ve heard that the Secret Service visiting Lowtax was a fabrication, but the whole period of having a hardcore leftist sub forum and also a forum for doxxing completely passed me by. Based on posts I’ve read, LF was like a proto CSPAM, where people made effortposts about Marxism, leftist thought and communism but ended up closed for reasons I can’t place.

Also, was hell dump an actual approved space to doxx and get super personal about your posting enemies? I have no frame of reference as it was before my time, and I only have quasi legendary stories about it.

From a post I found in QCS by Abe in about 2012 (I wish I remember how I found it), the final reason to close LF was harassment of Grover, IIRC. He also mentioned one secret service visit was about some kind of twitter bot.

The reason Helldump was shut down (most likely, don't know if it was ever stated) is they helldumped an AI mod and made some incorrect accusations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's tough to know for sure but yeah, a targeted FOIA request could possibly prove there *is* something to be found, but it can't really prove that there is not. There are so many agencies and possible search terms that it's practically impossible to know if you've been exhaustive.

I, personally, believe that lowtax was contacted by some manner law enforcement at least once. Details like "by the secret service" and "over this particular post" I am less confident of.

Does the mod forum have archives?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

fool of sound posted:

Almost all the reports filed under Bullshit (that is, actually bad reports as opposed to just ones that the mod isn't taking action on) are from some poster or other spamming 10 reports at somebody who pissed them off, or sending the mods whiny messages in the report reason. There aren't that many funny reports.

Do people still report gifs/memes outside of the gif/meme thread?

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I know this would never happen but I'd love a PFY thread where mods / people who can see reports post no context whack rear end reports they get.

I'm sure goons would take it too far and attempt to located the offending post but it would be funny to see some of these more asinine ones sometimes.

this thread literally exists and is stickied in this forum but it is unfortunately not updated very often at all

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Len posted:

Do people still report gifs/memes outside of the gif/meme thread?

I'm not even a mod anymore and I know the answer is yes

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Charles posted:

Does the mod forum have archives?

Yes, but some stuff gets sucked into the admin dimension instead.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
There was definitely at least one direct thread to Obama's life posted in LF. Whether that resulted in a Secret Service visit, I don't know.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ehh, late stage LF devolved into hopelessness even worse than CSPAM afaik, mostly cause there weren't rules about sharing your suicidal ideation and people took internet mental health stuff less seriously back then. 2010-2011 LF was dire. The Left's general energy post Bernie Sanders 2016 run is actually more hopeful than I remember it being back then.

Early LF was wonderful and full of incredible posters. The Last Days Of Capitalism thread after Obamas election was amazing, Infrateal vs. Heebie-GBS was great, I learned a huge amount about US history that you never hear in a public school classroom.

Oh and it definitely got shut down cause of groverhaus. Grover was a mod with mod friends and I'm guessing they eventually squealed hard enough at Lowtax that he just said gently caress it.

Helldump started out great, purging abusers and genuine pedos and absolutely just owning the poo poo out of smug debate club Ron Paul libertarians who dominated the discourse in D&D at the time. Also some gross but probably harmless weirdos who wanted to like, have Yoshi lay eggs on them, but sexually, got caught up, and called out, which was funny in a sorta cruel way that fit in very well with the general forum culture at the time. Then it degenerated into something like current QCS, but worse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These threads about China sure are causing some poo poo.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If you go back and read late stage LF it was really, really, really bad. Like, abysmally bad. Read some threads and its just page after page of "funny" jokes about people who are gay or transgender or a minority. Just endless white noise garbage shitposting. Everyone remembers the funny highlights about "Now you're immune to Rubella!" but that's not what it was at the end.

Also its very believable that Lowtax got contacted over a post. An r/relationship poster (Smirking Serpent IIRC) got contacted by the FBI over something he linked here and had to explain that he didn't write the original post, it was something from reddit.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Ehh, late stage LF devolved into hopelessness even worse than CSPAM afaik, mostly cause there weren't rules about sharing your suicidal ideation and people took internet mental health stuff less seriously back then. 2010-2011 LF was dire. The Left's general energy post Bernie Sanders 2016 run is actually more hopeful than I remember it being back then.

Yea, this too. If you have archives you can dig up some of the old threads and see it for yourself.

Upgrade has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Jun 29, 2021

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
A big Trump zone I remember morbidly reading was in GBS. Something like "trumps fine lol" and there were all those embarrassing SILENT MAJORITY: poo poo FUCKER avatars/titles. Regularly brave posters would roll in to talk about how Trump actually isn't fine
Or maybe I dreamed it, who's to say what's true in the sagas thread.

I forget who but there's also a funny probe that sorta marks the end of that time where someone posted "I plan to vote for Donald Trump in the general election" and got banned :hellyeah:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Squizzle posted:

total meltdown. in my rancor i grappled with jeffrey on the streambank, holding him in a muscular stalemate for hours, until he struck me on the blue star to hobble me.

this is also why we do not eat the meat of moderators fyi

The only rancor I know of is the one you feed grenades to in kotor so this checks out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Jordan Peterson thread in gbs attracts a genuine reactionary every so often. They mostly have very old reg dates.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I think one of the peak D&D moments for me was when Ron Paul got crushed in the 2008 primary and the libertarian contingent began posting increasingly absurd fantasies about how he could really pull it out, ending with a plan to head en masse to the nominating convention to somehow nominate him through trickery.

Also TobleroneTriangular. It's a shame, but if Toblerone posted today they'd be banned.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bear Enthusiast posted:

all those embarrassing SILENT MAJORITY: poo poo FUCKER avatars/titles

I still see a couple of these in the wild, and I mostly hope the holders haven't bothered to change their av in years

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Upgrade posted:

I think one of the peak D&D moments for me was when Ron Paul got crushed in the 2008 primary and the libertarian contingent began posting increasingly absurd fantasies about how he could really pull it out, ending with a plan to head en masse to the nominating convention to somehow nominate him through trickery.

Also TobleroneTriangular. It's a shame, but if Toblerone posted today they'd be banned.

I'm not sure TT would've been banned, he was a very believable parody of crazy desperate Ron Paul posters, but I don't think he actually mimicked any of the standard libertarian bannable opinions, like "my girlfriend shouldn't have to sit in a car seat" or "minorities are _____". He was (playing as) a blimp obsessed goldbug.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bear Enthusiast posted:

A big Trump zone I remember morbidly reading was in GBS. Something like "trumps fine lol" and there were all those embarrassing SILENT MAJORITY: poo poo FUCKER avatars/titles. Regularly brave posters would roll in to talk about how Trump actually isn't fine
Or maybe I dreamed it, who's to say what's true in the sagas thread.

I forget who but there's also a funny probe that sorta marks the end of that time where someone posted "I plan to vote for Donald Trump in the general election" and got banned :hellyeah:

the best thing to come out of all that a large group of hanger on racists who'd been camping out in gbs, the last bastion of being a right-wing rear end in a top hat, stopped hiding it, I guess because trump would protect their accounts or something?

They ran themselves off the forum better than any purge could do

edit: wtf is this 'tag hater' thing? Have I been tagged as a hater or do I hate tags?

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Jun 29, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
served served served served (IDK lol)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i remain not in on the joke, i'm scared

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What kind of monster could hate tags to such an extent

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
hey that's the guy who hates tags! let's get him!!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
:mad:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most mock threads end up needing to be shut down sooner or later because once they've run out of easy material they start scraping the bottom of the barrel and touching the poop for content. FYAD will apparently actually close the goonlulz thread if it's been slow rather than let it get to that point.

Helldump was basically an entire forum of that, and early 00s era social standards meaning things like 'being a gay furry' was sufficient excuse for active harassment of random people offsite. Last I heard they also started turning on themselves and throwing their friends to the mob.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most mock threads end up needing to be shut down sooner or later because once they've run out of easy material they start scraping the bottom of the barrel and touching the poop for content. FYAD will apparently actually close the goonlulz thread if it's been slow rather than let it get to that point.

Helldump was basically an entire forum of that, and early 00s era social standards meaning things like 'being a gay furry' was sufficient excuse for active harassment of random people offsite. Last I heard they also started turning on themselves and throwing their friends to the mob.

Helldump broke down when people started crossing the line into doxxing and the justifications eroded from "wants to gently caress children" to "posts badly about science." I'm excited to see the QCS story arc!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

i remain not in on the joke, i'm scared

I can tell you the joke is at least partially that Tag Hater is in the form of the Tag Heuer logo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I can tell you the joke is at least partially that Tag Hater is in the form of the Tag Heuer logo.

I'm just not sure what post set someone off and what that would have to do with anything. Maybe the mystery is the point.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Antivehicular posted:

I still see a couple of these in the wild, and I mostly hope the holders haven't bothered to change their av in years

At least some of them were given out to people who disliked Trump by people who liked him.

I mean I got my av changed a few days ago, and my current one is the first time I bought Saladin and my own underneath text. I don't fully understand why people would bother changing someone elses avatar/ adding tags, but I suppose that is up to them.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Jun 29, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

At least some of them were given out to people who disliked Trump by people who liked him.

I mean I got my av changed a few days ago, and my current one is the first time I bought Saladin and my own underneath text. I don't fully understand why people would bother changing someone elses avatar/ adding tags, but I suppose that is up to them.

Sometimes people buy you one to make you mad. Sometimes they buy one because you mad them mad. There was also a bit where people bought a bunch of things because they though Lowtax was telling the truth about the site not getting enough money. Then there was the bit where Jeff offered up permaban rights on his account for the person who spent the most.

Generally it's the mad thing though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inceltown posted:

Sometimes people buy you one to make you mad. Sometimes they buy one because you mad them mad. There was also a bit where people bought a bunch of things because they though Lowtax was telling the truth about the site not getting enough money. Then there was the bit where Jeff offered up permaban rights on his account for the person who spent the most.

Generally it's the mad thing though.

sometimes they also buy them because a poster definitely isn't jerking off to anime tittes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

Whoever did the tag couldn't bother to space it properly though and one of the legs of the A is way skinnier than the others. Shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a really sad, lovely example of how that devolves when it goes completely unchecked, the pioneer of SNES emulation was just driven to suicide after like a decade of harassment by the freaks over at kiwifarms for being nonbinary, which is basically old helldump but a couple orders of magnitude more deranged and malicious.