Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

jokes posted:

Yeah that's what I was worried about. Sort of like how having a good, dedicated artist/drug factory starts ramping up raids in a hurry.

bring your perimeter defenses fully up to snuff, and start chroming your key combatants before you go to year-round internal growing

poo poo like large-scale heated greenhouses is really for the kind of playthrough where you form a solid permanent perimeter and dig the gently caress in; if you do most of the work beforehand it'll be more like you're scaling the raids up to a level where they're appropriate for your killbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just randomly browsing the workshop and this was near the top of most popular in the past week: 1-2-3 Personalities

I'm not so sure about modules 2 and 3, but 1 looks like it's really cool.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Just randomly browsing the workshop and this was near the top of most popular in the past week: 1-2-3 Personalities

I'm not so sure about modules 2 and 3, but 1 looks like it's really cool.

2 and 3 don’t look that different from Peychology and Rumor Has It to me. What I’m curious is if this mod will implement the same Kinsey Scale feature that Psychology has, because that’s very important to me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How do I get rid of a prisoner with a shattered spine that I don't want? I'm assuming if I go to release them they'll just lie on the ground until they starve, I've got a long way to go for drop pods, I'm nowhere near any of their faction's settlements, or any friendly settlements for that matter. This is my "Lost in Space" family colony so I'm trying to avoid performing too many atrocities (although the family that war crimes together stays together).

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Moon Slayer posted:

How do I get rid of a prisoner with a shattered spine that I don't want? I'm assuming if I go to release them they'll just lie on the ground until they starve, I've got a long way to go for drop pods, I'm nowhere near any of their faction's settlements, or any friendly settlements for that matter. This is my "Lost in Space" family colony so I'm trying to avoid performing too many atrocities (although the family that war crimes together stays together).

Maybe try building them them a prison cell that is outside your base, with the door permanently held open and near wherever you'll be fighting raiders, and whenever you get a raid temporarily toggle the bed non-prisoner to make them 'downed' instead of 'in a bed' so that maybe the raiders kidnap them?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Drop pod them back to one of their faction bases. Or someone else's as a "gift", if you don't mind a sold into slavery mood debuff for a bit.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Asimo posted:

Drop pod them back to one of their faction bases. Or someone else's as a "gift", if you don't mind a sold into slavery mood debuff for a bit.

Moon Slayer posted:

I've got a long way to go for drop pods

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Moon Slayer posted:

It's probably also a long time to bionic spines and that's a waste of resources anyway, so... wait for a trader to come buy who's cool with buying slaves? Caveat emptor and all that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The poor thing has a broken spine, just end their suffering.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

The poor thing has a broken spine, just end their suffering.
If it's a faction you don't care about, harvest an eye or a lung or whatever first. War criminal simulator jokes aside you don't want to overdo organ harvesting for the sake of mood but one or two is probably a good "investment" unless you're teetering on the edge of mental breaks constantly.

Also the low tech drop pod version is forming a caravan, leaving the map, kicking them out, and then just immediately returning. But not sure if that's doable with a downed/unable to walk prisoner.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
a prisoner that is immobile cannot cause trouble, and if it's the lost in space family you have access to nutrient paste. just put them on a nutrient paste only diet (go to their health tab and check their diet restrictions) until you can drop pod them back to their people. it doesn't really matter if it's entire seasons before you do it. a no-interaction-besides-feeding prisoner will take up almost no time. in this particular case, feeding a prisoner nutrient paste in this way only entails the labor involved in shoving food down their gullet; there is no cooking, and the resource expenditure is ridiculously small. you will not have anyone wasting time talking to the prisoner - though you ostensibly could. a disabled prisoner makes a very fine Social training dummy; simply set the prisoner interaction to 'reduce resistance', and the wardens will have nice chats with the prisoner, even after resistance is broken. they will not attempt to recruit the prisoner, however, and can keep building Social.

as a footnote, a healer mech serum will also restore the shattered spine if you have one of those, but arguably that's an even bigger waste of resources than laying hands on a bionic spine. it's the price of kindness, as it were, but honestly the price of some nutrient paste meals and an eventual pod home is an extremely small price to pay in scope of the game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 28, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

WTF did I just read “feed them paste until you can pod them back it’s the decent thing to do” what happened to this thread?!

e: I won’t make a disabled social training prisoner, but if someone falls out of the sky hosed up and can contribute to the colony by receiving basic sustenance and the respect of social interaction, well, that seems fair! Also I like to chrome my settlements, so missing organs aren’t really a deal-beaker for me on an acceptable recruit

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 28, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I don't think I've ever built a nutrient paste dispenser, it always seemed so much easier to just make meals with a stove instead.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nutrient past dispensers are really really good for the following two conditions:
You have no one that can cook or cook without giving everyone food poisonings.
You have very little food and you need to stretch it out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah being able to avoid food poisoning, spend no labor time, and use a fraction of the food is amazingly helpful on solo starts or super hostile biomes like ice sheets or extreme desert. You'll want to migrate away from them eventually but if you're in a position where it's good to make one initially you may as well keep it around for a while until you get enough folks to make a dedicated cook worthwhile.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Coolguye posted:

a prisoner that is immobile cannot cause trouble, and if it's the lost in space family you have access to nutrient paste. just put them on a nutrient paste only diet (go to their health tab and check their diet restrictions) until you can drop pod them back to their people. it doesn't really matter if it's entire seasons before you do it. a no-interaction-besides-feeding prisoner will take up almost no time.

Yeah this is what I figured I'd probably just end up doing but wanted to see if there was any other trick.

They're already in a prison barracks with a nutrient paste dispenser, like I build all my prisons. Ironically, though, the prisoner is a Naga, who get far less nutrition from vegetables-only meal, a restriction which apparently also applies to paste meals. So when they eat one it only fills their hunger meter by about a third. Fortunately fine meals aren't a concern at this point but if anything keeping them on paste would actually increase the labor needed to keep them fed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe a drug will restore mobility long enough to let him walk away? What’s the thing that’s preventing him for loving off? Is it “movement” or “consciousness” or something? If you really wanna be sweet you could drug him and give him enough drugs to make his way back home.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a shattered spine is preventing him from moving. no drugs will help that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lucy will iirc lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I guess I don’t know what shattered spines do? The game functions on numbers, so if it sets movement to 0 I figured maybe a drug or something that helps movement would go a long way (since they’re additive). If it’s consciousness, a healthy dose of cocaine would help. Pain? Baby do we got things for pain.

If not you might need to feed and take care of a prisoner long term until you find or research spine replacements. I’d recommend that “reduce resistance” thing to level up social.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lucy will iirc lol
This might actually be the best solution.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lucy will iirc lol

CapnAndy posted:

This might actually be the best solution.

it does not.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Luciferium

the permanent injuries are just that - permanent injuries. a shattered spine is destroyed/gone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

it does not.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Luciferium

the permanent injuries are just that - permanent injuries. a shattered spine is destroyed/gone.
Lucy can fix permanent injuries, it's specifically mentioned in the description and the detailed effects.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CapnAndy posted:

Lucy can fix permanent injuries, it's specifically mentioned in the description and the detailed effects.

it will heal like a scar that leaves your bodypart at like 6.8/10hp but it will not regrow a part from 0hp

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

did you read my post

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah looks like I'm stuck with them until I can research drop pods, which is a ways away. Or get my hands on a bionic spine. They're a decent melee fighter so I may as well just recruit them at that point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

did you read my post
Yes, but I did not understand. I get it now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I also try to be a good guy on the Rimworld but I always end up turning into the Rimworld equivalent of WHFB Chaos Dwarfs, which is just Chaos Dwarfs with less pollution. A -3 moodlet from euthanizing someone who tried to murder you isn't that bad. Remember, raiders came to your home in order to kidnap, enslave, and outright murder your pawns. I'm sure the Robinsons would turn a blind eye.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I mean, giving them one dose of lucy and then not giving them any further doses will also fix the problem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jokes posted:

I also try to be a good guy on the Rimworld but I always end up turning into the Rimworld equivalent of WHFB Chaos Dwarfs, which is just Chaos Dwarfs with less pollution. A -3 moodlet from euthanizing someone who tried to murder you isn't that bad. Remember, raiders came to your home in order to kidnap, enslave, and outright murder your pawns. I'm sure the Robinsons would turn a blind eye.

i mean in that situation the solution would be to just strip them and let nature take its course for a -0 moodlet. a raider that bleeds to death in your front yard is functionally no different from a raider who had their head blown off by a sniper rifle, aside from the fact that you get the former's clothes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i mean in that situation the solution would be to just strip them and let nature take its course for a -0 moodlet. a raider that bleeds to death in your front yard is functionally no different from a raider who had their head blown off by a sniper rifle, aside from the fact that you get the former's clothes.

sometimes you accidentally rescue/capture the wrong pawn and later realize they're paralyzed, and then you're stuck finding the least-bad way to get rid of them.

...unrelated but apparently euthanizing a friendly/neutral pawn doesn't anger their faction, even if they were only downed from food poisoning or booze/weed/etc? your colonists still get the "someone was euthanized" moodlet tho.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Settle in, Rikko, you're going to be with us for a while.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why do they have faces? That seems so weird for some reason

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jokes posted:

Why do they have faces? That seems so weird for some reason

There's a weirdly popular mod that does that.

There's other mods that add hands and super-cursed feet too!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Funny that there's a mouse-person and a naga in that picture and the most unsettling thing is that they have mouths. Rimworld, baby

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Settle in, Rikko, you're going to be with us for a while.

Eugh those faces. Gross.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goons, why does only 1 shield on my ship in SoS2 actually properly be effected by the toggle shields on the bridge button?

E: Alright its because the shields didn't have hull flooring under them

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 29, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Got droner mech clustered and defoilator ship chunked, and that alpha animal rapid cactipine drop pod on my barely past stone age base so decided to hoof it. Between mental breaks and cactipine mauling only 2 of the 5 people made it out with a bonus extra person from a MiB spawn.

Hop over two tiles and set up shop only for a toxic ashfall event to immediately start up, so everyone picks up and moves over a tile or two again.

Then on the new map one of the last three goes berserk and the MiB immediately blows his head off with a bolt pistol. Things somewhat settled down after that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
At about 200hrs I finally researched electricity. Am I doing this right?

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah looks like I'm stuck with them until I can research drop pods, which is a ways away. Or get my hands on a bionic spine. They're a decent melee fighter so I may as well just recruit them at that point.

I think you could caravan them over. I've had colonists, slaves, and prisoners in the middle of a catatonic breakdown get loaded into a caravan by hand. They just get loaded last.

Kris xK posted:

This was last page, but thank you for posting this. I was having trouble with a) my dogs randomly starving and b) my attack animals doing jack poo poo.

I made the changes and everything got fixed up.

:sun::respek::sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I think you could caravan them over. I've had colonists, slaves, and prisoners in the middle of a catatonic breakdown get loaded into a caravan by hand. They just get loaded last.
the added weight would mandate pack animals and would slow down the caravan a lot besides. there's also the threat of raids on either detachment while they're in motion. it's a long enough way to go for a joke that exposes you to tons of risk.