Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Blitter posted:

Not everyone is some witless asshat like you, blindly embracing your for profit death cult.

Perhaps you should learn from your betters and shut the gently caress up about what other people do, in other countries?

Blindly embracing? Look around you, friend. It's endemic, it's never going to be 'eliminated'. You'll get your covid vaccine booster every couple of years for the rest of your life, I reckon.

And, it's going to be OK! Life will go on and we will all adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

Not everyone is some witless asshat like you, blindly embracing your for profit death cult.

Perhaps you should learn from your betters and shut the gently caress up about what other people do, in other countries?

Did you feel cool when you typed this up lol

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Blitter posted:

...really???

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How are u posted:

As we've said before: this is the new normal. Get used to it, it ain't going away. Get your vaccine and move on with life.

I'm getting it on Friday, but in the meantime about 3% of Australians are vaccinated, so we still have to enact meaningful public health policy.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

My concern is that rather than cop the lockdown weeks it requires to get down to zero, NSW will open up again around 10-15 because their government seems fine with just having a constant low burn of COVID, in contradiction to what every other state and territory in the country aims for.

Kerry Chant is very clear that she wants to see no cases outside of those already in isolation and that she wants testing numbers to remain high.

At the moment we're still not seeing testing numbers as high as they were during the Avalon outbreak, even though the current outbreak is just as large.

The wild card is casual contact. We know the risk of transmission between close contacts is extremely high but we don't yet know just how many cases acquired by casual contact might be out there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss is anti-vax. All vaccines, not just covid.

Most of my coworkers don't wear a mask. gently caress, a few months ago one was fired for getting into a screaming match with a customer over refusing to wear a mask.

Most of my customers don't wear one of course.

Am I the only fucker in this town who wears a mask?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Gynovore posted:

...really???

Not every poster has had their government begging them to take mrna vaccines for half a year. It's a delta outbreak in a largely unvaccinated population, and saying "it'll be fine, just get vaccinated" is great but impossible advice, coming from a very, localized and privileged situation.

Do you not consider nz or au as having "done a better job" at fighting an ongoing pandemic?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
South East Queensland has joined the list of places in lockdown.

Our deputy prime minister has been fined for not wearing a mask.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Blitter posted:

Do you not consider nz or au as having "done a better job" at fighting an ongoing pandemic?

That's not what you said, You're backpedalling real hard, you're ridiculous.

As an aside, it's nice that Australia's "gently caress off, we're full" policies have been repurposed for good outcomes, but don't pretend geography doesn't have a lot to do with it

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Blitter posted:

Not every poster has had their government begging them to take mrna vaccines for half a year. It's a delta outbreak in a largely unvaccinated population, and saying "it'll be fine, just get vaccinated" is great but impossible advice, coming from a very, localized and privileged situation.

When I think of Australia and New Zealands dealing with the vaccine I picture a masterful job of finding the cases and stamping them out. Only to have outsiders gently caress it up for them again. Rinse and repeat. Then frustration with people who aren't willing to take the vaccine after all the hard work put in by following measures. But that's just an outsiders very casual view at how they are dealing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

How are u posted:

Blindly embracing? Look around you, friend. It's endemic, it's never going to be 'eliminated'. You'll get your covid vaccine booster every couple of years for the rest of your life, I reckon.

And, it's going to be OK! Life will go on and we will all adjust.
It turns out that for quite a few people, life won't go on. That's kind of the problem

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That looks... bad?

It’s unsourced and not the same data as the NHS data which shows national hospitalisations on a flatline

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can we just put this in a tiny bit of perspective. The vaccines have been keeping the death rate at about 11 average a week for a while now in the UK

450 people a week die from preventable heart conditions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

450 people a week die from preventable heart conditions.

Uh oh. You just said the magic words.

The vaccine is working and afaik not a single one of those deaths are from a vaccinated person.

Do we even know how many (if any) vaccinated people have died from it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Of course there are fully vaccinated people who die of it anyway. It helps to look things up and even cite your sources rather than just making big claims.

The vaccines do a good job of protecting most people against "original" covid. But Delta has already taken over the UK, and when it really hits the US with its much lower vax rate, let alone other countries, things could be rough.

"Of those 73 deaths associated with Delta [in the UK], 26 were among people who had been fully vaccinated."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/race-between-covid-19-vaccines-and-delta-variant-plays-out-in-u-k-11624450110

So that's not ideal

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 29, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Public health England are going to be including that kind of data in the expanded data which is coming soon (tm)

They will also be separating those who died from covid itself from those who tested positive in hospital where it wasn’t a factor.

Edit: the people who died while vaccinated all had pre-existing conditions that made them vulnerable. Which is exactly the reason why we need everyone vaccinated and for people not to go out to the club and then come home and lick their nan.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 29, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Edit: the people who died while vaccinated all had pre-existing conditions that made them vulnerable.
do you have a source for that? While they definitely skewed older, I couldn't find any more detail than that or any claims they all had preexisting conditions

quote:

Which is exactly the reason why we need everyone vaccinated and for people not to go out to the club and then come home and lick their nan.
I think everyone itt agrees, obviously

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One of the big weirdnesses about SAGE and NHS England throughout the pandemic is that they say this vitally important stuff in press conferences, lectures, after dinner speeches and so on but only care about releasing numbers and charts.

because they have such big brains they don’t see how some people can’t tell from the raw data that the vaccines are working, or that they can manipulate thier data to via photoshop and whatnot, because that’s not something that they would dream of doing themselves.

It makes it incredibly hard when you have to do something like say, quote a BBC article that says they found out that FFP3 masks are incredibly effective (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360) when some (non goon obviously) screaming moron on Facebook can throw some anti-mask graph at you which looks incredibly professional and unreadable to layman but is total bullshit.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'll be interesting to see if vaxx numbers increase significantly in Sydney now that they've got an outbreak scare. Numbers surged in Vic in the first two weeks of the outbreak which started a month ago but dipped back again sharply when infection numbers were brought under control and the restrictions were relaxed.

There is more to the vic situation.
Basically on the first day of the lock down the allowed the 40-50 group to get vaccines, ergo the surge. The the hotline was jammed for at least a week, then they shut off bookings. When I got my booking it was in a months time. Clearly their problem is not lack of ppl wanting the vaccine, but the lack of ability to deploy it.

I suspect that hesitancy will not really be a huge problem in au at least from the anti-vaxxers, they have never had much support. They tend to be woowoo types rather than the right wingers.

Although, IMHO, it would be far more efficient to get our quarantine in order than to get a large enough portion of the population vaccinated. (Because until the rest of the world gets rid of covid, there are still going to be the chance that new variants will get past the vaccines)

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I apologize if this is a silly or common question, I struggle to keep up with all of this conflicting data that seems to change every time I turn my back for two seconds. But do we have any data about Long COVID in people who have been vaccinated?

Immunocompromised people are the obvious thing when someone says "this is the new normal", but that's my other concern. Even if vaccines lower the amount of breakthrough cases and the breakthrough cases aren't that bad as far as "you don't usually end up in the hospital on a ventilator", what do the potential longterm side effects look like?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oldskool posted:

unfortunately, the one public figure who could influence the most vaccine-resistant audience to change their mind deliberately got vaccinated under cover of darkness

Tucker Carlson? :v:

Last I checked he was still refusing to confirm his vaxx status

Lolie posted:

At the moment we're still not seeing testing numbers as high as they were during the Avalon outbreak, even though the current outbreak is just as large.

The wild card is casual contact. We know the risk of transmission between close contacts is extremely high but we don't yet know just how many cases acquired by casual contact might be out there.

Yep. The Bondi cluster has now caught up to the previous Avalon cluster and I suspect it'll overtake it pretty quickly:

Avalon topped out at 217 cases in total by the end, if Bondi sticks to the current rate of 18 or 19 a day it'll pass that in another 5 days.

Of course we were still seeing articles a couple days ago saying "The Bondi cluster isn't as large as the Avalon cluster, why are we locking down this time????" :doh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In my experience immunocompromised adults already know how to avoid catching virus and are super happy that the masks that will stop them catching every cold going round have become far cheaper and easily available.

Measles is a threat to immunocompromised that makes covid seem like a walk in the park, it’s easier to catch than even the delta variant and the anti-vaccine rot set in decades ago with MMR so serious post, if you want to do some serious good encourage all your friends and family to double check their vaccine record to be absolutely sure they have had some form of measles jab - you would be surprised and horrified at how many people “missed” school on the day a vaccine was being done and whatnot.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MarcusSA posted:

Do we even know how many (if any) vaccinated people have died from it?

All that’s in one of the linelists that get sent around to approved researchers every day. So the people doing the analysis know, even if the public don’t yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would I want to check my vaccination record when I can just get it again and get :blessed: by huge titers?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got the MMR as a child and I still managed to get measles in my late teens, as did my (vaccinated) brother, who got it about a month later. Neither of us were very seriously ill, so presumably the vaccine prevented that.
I just did a quick check, and it looks like we got in in a year when there was a big local outbreak, caused largely by parents forgetting, or not bothering to get their kids vaccinated. So it wasn't even anti-vax fearmongering, it was mostly just plain laziness.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Both my children got very mild measles when they were 7/5, the chance of that happening was just astonishingly low - 3% if fully vaccinated and you got to come in contact with an unvaccinated person (my son got it from a immunocompromised classmate) but it’s a common thing where if it happens to one sibling then they will usually pass it on to any others and potentially parents and grandparents as well.

We had to quarantine for 6 weeks as a household and the government sent us parcels. The worst thing ever according to them was that it happened the actual first day of the 6 weeks holiday and they had a whole 3 days where they could leave the house before going back to school

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Purgatory Glory posted:

When I think of Australia and New Zealands dealing with the vaccine I picture a masterful job of finding the cases and stamping them out. Only to have outsiders gently caress it up for them again. Rinse and repeat. Then frustration with people who aren't willing to take the vaccine after all the hard work put in by following measures. But that's just an outsiders very casual view at how they are dealing.

Australia is not New Zealand.

Victoria, where Melbourne is located, and where the Labor party holds power, did the hard work of an absolutely brutal lockdown for 8 months to squash out Covid entirely. New South Wales, where Sydney is located, and where the Liberal party is in power (the same party that controls the federal government) went all last year without any sort of lockdown or even mask mandate. The federal government, the NSW government, and the Murdoch media spent all last year making GBS threads all over the Victorian government for its response, while making sure the people of NSW think masks are unnecessary and ineffective. Now the delta variant is spreading in Sydney. Even with the other states shutting borders with NSW, it's just a matter of time until it spreads elsewhere.

On top of that, last year the federal government botched a deal with Pfizer - they sent a junior official with no procurement experience to negotiate ON BEHALF OF THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT. So now we're forced to go with Astrazenaca, which would be fine, except the Australian Medical Association refuses to endorse its use for under 60s. But it turns out the over 60s don't want to use it either because of the reports of the blood clots (and because the olds are dumb as hell). Just yesterday the federal government loving finally said they'd indemnify doctors administering it to any adult, so now those of us who want a vaccine can actually get it. My wife and I are getting our first shot on Friday, but it remains to be seen how many will actually get the AZ shot, thanks to the media playing up the blood clots story.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

DickParasite posted:

Victoria, where Melbourne is located, and where the Labor party holds power, did the hard work of an absolutely brutal lockdown for 8 months to squash out Covid entirely. New South Wales, where Sydney is located, and where the Liberal party is in power (the same party that controls the federal government) went all last year without any sort of lockdown or even mask mandate. The federal government, the NSW government, and the Murdoch media spent all last year making GBS threads all over the Victorian government for its response, while making sure the people of NSW think masks are unnecessary and ineffective. Now the delta variant is spreading in Sydney. Even with the other states shutting borders with NSW, it's just a matter of time until it spreads elsewhere.

NSW had a lockdown early last year. They have also never been anti mask, they have just preferred to take an approach of them not being mandatory, which worked at the time, and at least created a system where many people still wore masks and there was no threat of police fining people. Masks are also currently mandatory in indoor spaces for all of NSW right now, and many people are following those rules from what I've seen. The idea that the NSW government was ever basically Trump-lite in terms of Covid is ridiculous.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/02/the-90-day-lockdown-nsw-police-can-enforce-home-isolation-until-at-least-end-of-june

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/nsw-sunday-coronavirus-update-masks-recommended/12516026

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I apologize if this is a silly or common question, I struggle to keep up with all of this conflicting data that seems to change every time I turn my back for two seconds. But do we have any data about Long COVID in people who have been vaccinated?

Immunocompromised people are the obvious thing when someone says "this is the new normal", but that's my other concern. Even if vaccines lower the amount of breakthrough cases and the breakthrough cases aren't that bad as far as "you don't usually end up in the hospital on a ventilator", what do the potential longterm side effects look like?

if they're bothering to check and keep that data, they aren't really releasing a lot of it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm sure they're collecting the data, but there haven't been enough double vaccinated people for long enough to get any meaningful results yet.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

learnincurve posted:

In my experience immunocompromised adults already know how to avoid catching virus and are super happy that the masks that will stop them catching every cold going round have become far cheaper and easily available.

My partner is immunocompromised and is certainly not "happy" about any of this, even in mostly COVID-free Australia. It's insulting to suggest that immunocompromised people can just take their own precautions and be fine. They can't. During a pandemic, their lives are constantly held hostage to every mouthbreathing motherfucker they come into contact with on the street, in the workplace, in the pub, on public transport.

DickParasite posted:

Australia is not New Zealand.

On top of that, last year the federal government botched a deal with Pfizer - they sent a junior official with no procurement experience to negotiate ON BEHALF OF THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT. So now we're forced to go with Astrazenaca, which would be fine, except the Australian Medical Association refuses to endorse its use for under 60s. But it turns out the over 60s don't want to use it either because of the reports of the blood clots (and because the olds are dumb as hell). Just yesterday the federal government loving finally said they'd indemnify doctors administering it to any adult, so now those of us who want a vaccine can actually get it. My wife and I are getting our first shot on Friday, but it remains to be seen how many will actually get the AZ shot, thanks to the media playing up the blood clots story.

The fact you felt it necessary to specify parties here shows how silly and partisan this is. There is plenty to criticise New South Wales and the federal government for recently, within an Australian context, but globally speaking they are both still A+ gold star COVID response governments. The Liberal Party has also done just fine handling this in South Australia and Tasmania. It's also, as already pointed out, flat out wrong to say that New South Wales went all last year without any lockdown or mask mandate.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh they have the data it’s that they were told to update the dashboard with the additional information only a few weeks ago and it’s that part which is going to take time, because they are going to have to do a whole redesign with both sets of data running simultaneously.

The raw stuff will show up on the covid section of NHS England before we get the idiots guide for the general public

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I said they were super happy that they could find the PPE that actually works, because in the U.K. it was nearly impossible before and you either wore the paper masks or spent an absolute fortune

the rest is you reading stuff into what I said and being a dick about it by selectively quoting.

e: The majority of that post was me asking people to check their vaccination record to protect the immunocompromised

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 29, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I'm sure they're collecting the data, but there haven't been enough double vaccinated people for long enough to get any meaningful results yet.

This is about the only thing giving me pause at this point in time with going out and licking chair seats.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

learnincurve posted:

I said they were super happy that they could find the PPE that actually works, because in the U.K. it was nearly impossible before and you either wore the paper masks or spent an absolute fortune

the rest is you reading stuff into what I said and being a dick about it by selectively quoting.

Sorry if I misread you but "already know how to avoid catching virus" rubbed me the wrong way. One of the major points of this pandemic is that getting sick generally isn't your fault, it's somebody else's fault: the person who didn't wear a mask or didn't stay home when sick or didn't cover their mouth when coughing, etc. Most of us do the right thing, but are perpetually at the mercy of those who don't.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Bardeh posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html posted:

As of May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported vaccine breakthrough cases to focus on identifying and investigating only hospitalized or fatal cases due to any cause.

Note that testing or reporting testing results for vaccinated persons is not required in the US. So no way to capture PAMS cases.

Of course, other countries will monitor and tabulate breakthroughs but with much lower vaccinated numbers it's going to further delay studies and results.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Has anyone recently had any luck convincing vaccine-hesitant people to get the jab?

75% of my wife's family refuses to get it and we're both getting really nervous about what that means for them as PA is now pretty much completely opened up. My BiL is a huge Trump supporter that's currently torpedoing his entire life so I figure he's a lost cause, but I'd like to be a little more comfortable knowing my in-laws might make it through this fall without (at least) a week's stay in the hospital or permanent damage to their lungs and heart.

Should I just consider it useless at this point or does anyone have advice that's worked for them?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

freebooter posted:

Sorry if I misread you but "already know how to avoid catching virus" rubbed me the wrong way. One of the major points of this pandemic is that getting sick generally isn't your fault, it's somebody else's fault: the person who didn't wear a mask or didn't stay home when sick or didn't cover their mouth when coughing, etc. Most of us do the right thing, but are perpetually at the mercy of those who don't.

Yeh they know how not to catch it, it’s just that other idiots don’t know how not to spread it. Like we had to have actual government adverts showing adults how to wash their hands.

Out of the 300 immunocompromised kiddies we deal with you would expect at least 100 of them to get dangerously sick a year, because the underlying conditions they all have exasperate things. Not one of them has had to go to hospital with a virus since the start of the pandemic. We think in part because of masks but also because people are staying way way back from wheelchairs now.

It’s not a awesome thing at all when you think how much pain and suffering could have been avoided in the past if people had just backed the gently caress off and not crowded people in wheelchairs

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

freebooter posted:

The fact you felt it necessary to specify parties here shows how silly and partisan this is. There is plenty to criticise New South Wales and the federal government for recently, within an Australian context, but globally speaking they are both still A+ gold star COVID response governments. The Liberal Party has also done just fine handling this in South Australia and Tasmania. It's also, as already pointed out, flat out wrong to say that New South Wales went all last year without any lockdown or mask mandate.

Scomo and Sky News made this partisan and you're sticking your head in the sand if you pretend it isn't.

Centusin posted:

NSW had a lockdown early last year. They have also never been anti mask, they have just preferred to take an approach of them not being mandatory, which worked at the time, and at least created a system where many people still wore masks and there was no threat of police fining people. Masks are also currently mandatory in indoor spaces for all of NSW right now, and many people are following those rules from what I've seen. The idea that the NSW government was ever basically Trump-lite in terms of Covid is ridiculous.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/02/the-90-day-lockdown-nsw-police-can-enforce-home-isolation-until-at-least-end-of-june

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/nsw-sunday-coronavirus-update-masks-recommended/12516026

My bad re: the lockdown, but not making masks mandatory is implicitly stating they're unnecessary. I never said they were Trump-lite, but they were content to be reactive and light-handed as is their preferred manner of incompetence and here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

A Fancy Hat posted:

Has anyone recently had any luck convincing vaccine-hesitant people to get the jab?

75% of my wife's family refuses to get it and we're both getting really nervous about what that means for them as PA is now pretty much completely opened up. My BiL is a huge Trump supporter that's currently torpedoing his entire life so I figure he's a lost cause, but I'd like to be a little more comfortable knowing my in-laws might make it through this fall without (at least) a week's stay in the hospital or permanent damage to their lungs and heart.

Should I just consider it useless at this point or does anyone have advice that's worked for them?

Is there an old person in a nursing home that can be used as leverage? I strongly suspect those places are going to heavily hint if not outright require it for visitors sooner rather than later.

If that doesn't work, if you've got kids under 12, you can also use them as a scape goat: "sorry since they can't get vaccinated yet we want as many people who plan on being in close proximity to them to be vaccinated"