Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

It was also just a false dilemma in the first place. Recreate the transporter mistake that creates Thomas Riker. Then you have Tuvix, Neeliz, and Tuvok. Then I suppose you have to acknowledge that the transporters can work as human being printers if you arrange the buffer memory correctly. And they don't want to acknowledge that.

That planet was 70,000 light years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

tmp had the best example of how horrific a transporter accident should be depicted

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

instead of "oh no he has different facial hair now" it should always be "fortunately what we got back didn't live long"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

instead of "oh no he has different facial hair now" it should always be "fortunately what we got back didn't live long"

They got back a Tuvix but it died before it could become a moral quandry.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i got this crazy star trek discovery idea...so, a fly ends up in the transporter beam right at the last minute...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are layers upon layers of handwavium which state in no uncertain terms that it isn't replication. but really, transporters don't replicate people because the writers don't want to deal with the obvious ramifications.

except then they kept making exceptions to that rule for one-off episodes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Even if we posit that OK under normal circumstances it's technically not replication... it seems like they could pretty easily make it be replication if they needed/wanted it to be so.

Edit: Or at least like, scan his brain and make a Tuvix hologram before you murder him? If the Picard robot is "really Picard" then that would be "really Tuvix."

The Tuvix question is really kind of a fun moral dilema but I feel like with the technology they have they could sidestep all that if they really wanted to. Janeway killed Tuvix because she wanted him dead, not because he needed to die to save Tuvok and Neelix.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 29, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
janeway being a psychopath explains a lot of the inconsistencies and outright plot holes of voyager, yes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are layers upon layers of handwavium which state in no uncertain terms that it isn't replication. but really, transporters don't replicate people because the writers don't want to deal with the obvious ramifications.

except then they kept making exceptions to that rule for one-off episodes.

That's called out in the technical manual.

And what other exceptions were there? Cause Riker is the only one that's actual duplication I can think of. The rest were things like "got turned into a kid" or "two into a monster" or poo poo like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They made a new Picard, I'm not sure how to treat that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

They made a new Picard, I'm not sure how to treat that

Just ignore it, like the show deserves.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CainFortea posted:

And what other exceptions were there? Cause Riker is the only one that's actual duplication I can think of. The rest were things like "got turned into a kid" or "two into a monster" or poo poo like that.

Kirk get's duplicated into a good and evil version.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CainFortea posted:

The possibility has been known to exist of duplication for a while, but in all cases up to Thomas Riker, the technician was able to quickly fix the glitch before command staff became aware. It is the terrible burden that all transporter technicians share, and also why a phaser is required to be worn at all times while on duty.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

tmp Galaxy Quest had the best example of how horrific a transporter accident should be depicted

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

It was also just a false dilemma in the first place. Recreate the transporter mistake that creates Thomas Riker. Then you have Tuvix, Neeliz, and Tuvok. Then I suppose you have to acknowledge that the transporters can work as human being printers if you arrange the buffer memory correctly. And they don't want to acknowledge that.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Kirk get's duplicated into a good and evil version.

So from this I'm getting that transporters are printers and instead of Red Green Blue dot values, people are printed out using Good, Evil dot values.

BUT WHAT IF THE TRANSPORTER RUNS OUT OF GOOD PRINTER INK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Even if we posit that OK under normal circumstances it's technically not replication... it seems like they could pretty easily make it be replication if they needed/wanted it to be so.

The supposed technowank that manuals have on this is that replicators don't do quantum-level duplication, so all of the cool poo poo and networks that make up our brain and nervous system and things like that isn't running and you just end up with a pile of dead flesh because the connections aren't properly there. It works in a transporter because the matter is quantum tunnelled to the new location and take their quantum states with them.

quantum

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 29, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

God Janeway is so ice cold at the end of that episode

Prime evil Admiral material.

edit: The Federation's abhorrence of cloning prevented them from even considering having their cake and eating it too. Snatch cellular material from Tuvix, do the transporter split, grow Tuvix 2.0 in a vat, watch Neelix not know what to do as he’s displaced by an interloper that does everything better than him.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 29, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There’s a going faction of people who don’t buy into “it's not replication” for transporter science. They are the flat earthers of the 24th century.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it would be harder to not duplicate a human than to duplicate one. just disable the bit where you clear the pattern buffer after transport and send them again

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The supposed technowank that manuals have on this is that replicators don't do quantum-level duplication, so all of the cool poo poo and networks that make up our brain and nervous system and things like that isn't running and you just end up with a pile of dead flesh because the connections aren't properly there. It works in a transporter because the matter is quantum tunnelled to the new location and take their quantum states with them.

quantum

You can't even copy quantum states because of the no cloning theorom, star trek transporters need Heisenberg compensators and all sorts of bs to get them to work, at least we know there's continuous consciousness when Barclay was seeing worm creatures in the transporter bean

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiberius Christ posted:

You can't even copy quantum states because of the no cloning theorom, star trek transporters need Heisenberg compensators and all sorts of bs to get them to work, at least we know there's continuous consciousness when Barclay was seeing worm creatures in the transporter bean

:techno: :techno: in order to get around the issue, rather than actively reading and storing structures in a traditional computer memory (which would require a destructive scan) the transporter entangles the structure and quantum state of the object being transported with pseudomatter in the transporter pattern buffer which retains it as a cohesive whole while the overall quantum system comprising the individual is induced to tunnel to the target location :techno: :techno: sounds good to me okay then

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We can all agree that the crew members who got their brains dumped into DS9's computer core are 100% dead though right, you can store memories digitally but a soul or whatever cant be stored in a computer. The Sisko et al from that episode onward are just copies with the digitized memories of the originals

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Danaru posted:

We can all agree that the crew members who got their brains dumped into DS9's computer core are 100% dead though right, you can store memories digitally but a soul or whatever cant be stored in a computer. The Sisko et al from that episode onward are just copies with the digitized memories of the originals
OK so which Riker got the soul

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Splicer posted:

OK so which Riker got the soul

William. Thomas is a soulless husk whose existence spits in the face of God

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Danaru posted:

William. Thomas is a soulless husk whose existence spits in the face of God
But Thomas is the original

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dr_rat posted:

So from this I'm getting that transporters are printers and instead of Red Green Blue dot values, people are printed out using Good, Evil dot values.

BUT WHAT IF THE TRANSPORTER RUNS OUT OF GOOD PRINTER INK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how people get promoted to admiral.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Danaru posted:

that makes o'brien a copy of a copy of a copy based on the time he was cloned and died and the time he kept doing time slides because of the romulans orbiting the station

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

O'Brien being a faded overcopied wash of soulstuff makes sense

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

o'brien is actually a zimmerman mark 2

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Alternate universe Harry Kim laughs at the idea of the soul!! Oh, what he wouldn't do to a Delaney sister...soulless things, terrible things.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The transporter only saves the soul in the pattern buffer, this is why tom riker turned evil, Will got his back on the return trip

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

that makes o'brien a copy of a copy of a copy based on the time he was cloned and died and the time he kept doing time slides because of the romulans orbiting the station

The irish are born with nine souls, he was down to his last one by the end of DS9 which is why he decided to go back to Earth

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

GolfHole posted:

o'brien is actually a zimmerman mark 2

"We'll take out all my charisma and stunning good looks-"

"Doctor, there'll be nothing left!"

"Oh you flatter me, holographic nurse in my feminized image! But of course there will be one thing left."

*O'Brien hologram flickers on* "Please state the nature of the *sigh* engineering emergency."

"Despair, yet remains."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"COMPUTER DELETE EEH"

"Why does it yell that whenever we turn it on?"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Brawnfire posted:

"We'll take out all my charisma and stunning good looks-"

"Doctor, there'll be nothing left!"

"Oh you flatter me, holographic nurse in my feminized image! But of course there will be one thing left."

*O'Brien hologram flickers on* "Please state the nature of the *sigh* engineering emergency."

"Despair, yet remains."

Lmao

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Unlike the EMH, who loathes being sent to the void space when he's offline, the Emergency Engineering Hologram longs for the sweet nothingness of death.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The EMH was the opposite, he always complained people were forgetting to turn him off and made them give him the ability to do it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The EMH was the opposite, he always complained people were forgetting to turn him off and made them give him the ability to do it

poo poo, you're right. I've created yet another voyager false memory.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Given he was built with a limited operating time forgetting to turn him off was an even bigger dick move than it seemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It was actually both. People leaving him on so he’s bored all day, and people shutting him off when he has work to do