Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
personally I am glad we are turning city vs city heat records into a dick measuring contest to see whomst among us suffers most beautifully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Wolfy posted:

Maybe the nws seattle twitter person is just crackpinged beyond belief

is there literally any climatologist that isnt this way? i really dont think so

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Buddy in Seattle made fun of me for living in a poo poo hole during the icepocalypse in Texas, now they're boasting about surviving hell temps without ac. Can't win.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I saw an Instagram video of some fairly new apt building with the siding warped and falling off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gay_crimes posted:

https://twitter.com/hotcitiesworld/status/1409602711083966464?s=20

Portland was the hottest city on earth for 5 hours, lol

Its reign ended because Mexicali is slow to cool off. The sun has set in Mexicali, it’s still one hundred and four degrees, and it’s only cooling to eighty‐four overnight.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

personally I am glad we are turning city vs city heat records into a dick measuring contest to see whomst among us suffers most beautifully

we already won

https://www.tiktok.com/@calebwfranc...1&is_copy_url=0

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
NWS mets get a lot of communication training as well. It's absolutely critical to the job. They should know better.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

slippery doc posted:

if I didn't want to read ppl edging over catastrophes and the crumbling of society I wouldn't have come to CSPAM, tbf

It's this

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

SirPablo posted:

NWS mets get a lot of communication training as well. It's absolutely critical to the job. They should know better.

they arent doing anything wrong or outta the ordinary you big baby

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

#LavaFire #Weed

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They should celebrate

I want the Twitter birthday balloon effect on every new record break tweet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Weed got smoked by the 2014 Boles Fire. It destroyed a hundred and fifty‐seven homes in a town that had less than three thousand residents.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i met a meteorology student once at a party in college, when i made the mistake of talking to them about the weather

dude rambled about the weather for like no poo poo 45 minutes straight

You met my Grandpa? Anyone over the age of 80 will ramble on about the weather like no one, especially those who grew up in rural areas that grew food.

The good news for those in warming shelters is that these areas of the country (urban) have some of the highest vax rates in the nation. They also don't have any active cases of the Delta variant running around either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toupee Groupie posted:

They also don't have any active cases of the Delta variant running around either.

You take some salt and throw it over your shoulder right now.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

they arent doing anything wrong or outta the ordinary you big baby

Yeah you're supposed to be excited to have lived through it, peak meteorologist energy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

At least when NHC gives hurricane forecasts they've had lots of experience in delivering communications about a very specific kind of threat. Not sure NWS Seattle is used to having to bring out carefully measured words for a heat event.

NWS Seattle posted:

"Hey, hey, everyone, check this amazing weird poo poo out. Like haha poo poo were all totally hosed aren't we. LOL"
:kingsley:
:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

sent from an iphone

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Jun 29, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my furniture is hot and they radiate heat, as does my bed, and so too the floorboards. :(

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tbh i kind of prefer the "HOLY gently caress ARE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS SEEING THIS poo poo?" type of science communication when it's warranted

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know everyone in this thread has read it, this seems like a good time to revisit the bulletin on Hurricane Katrina. It has become a textbook example in communication.

quote:

WWUS74 KLIX 281550 NPWLIX

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH... RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE

OUTSIDE!

Chilling.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

A thing to remember about Katrina was it would have had like 1/5 the number of people who stayed in the city if it had happened a week later. By which I mean it was the end of the month and most people were too loving flat broke to evacuate of the city. This poo poo always hurts the least able to deal with it most.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Already have fires running at 15k acres a day now.

https://twitter.com/CAFireScanner/status/1409795920896561155

https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1409735008672043008

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Platystemon posted:

I know everyone in this thread has read it, this seems like a good time to revisit the bulletin on Hurricane Katrina. It has become a textbook example in communication.

Chilling.

Wow I don't remember it being that stark.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They should celebrate

I want the Twitter birthday balloon effect on every new record break tweet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HonorableTB posted:

Consider it payback for everyone living in Vancouver but working in Portland so they pay no taxes to anyone anywhere

People make that commute? Holy poo poo

UnknownTarget posted:

Just loving LMAO that this is all gonna be memory-holed by December.

It's getting memory holed right now lol

silicone thrills posted:

It really is this. Everyone is excited for their front row seats to the end of this current iteration of civilization.

"current"

It's the final bro

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's getting memory holed right now lol

I'm going around extremely crack-pinged asking people "You up on this PNW heatwave?" and yeah mostly no one has heard of it over here in NYC metro, lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I know it's one of you guys posting on that Twitter. Fess up already!

Honestly I find it kind of refreshing to see them just joker laughing with the rest of us gawking at insane numbers that are somehow normal now. It's like an antidote to the constant gaslighting of our political and media landscape.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Americans are so against taking preventative measures you have to basically tell them Godzilla is coming to gently caress their poo poo up to get them to move.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PSA for Americans

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/shooting-at-sun-wont-cool-down-earth-nasa-scientist-to-turkish-girl-137431 posted:

Shooting at sun won’t cool down Earth: NASA scientist to Turkish girl

ADANA

In contrary to what some locals in the southern Turkish province of Adana do, shooting at the sun with a gun will not cool down the Earth, a NASA scientist has told a curious Turkish schoolgirl.

Umut Yıldız, a Turkish scientist working at NASA, participated in the Science Festival of Adana on Oct. 1.

Answering questions via teleconference, Yıldız was asked by a local schoolgirl whether shooting at the sun is a good idea to get some cool in her city, known for its scorching summer heat.

“No, guns will not work, you have to use missiles,” Yıldız jokingly answered, according to local media.

“I live in California and it is also very hot here, but we don’t shoot at the sun,” he added.

Footage showing Adana locals shooting at the sun out of anger at the extremely hot weather went viral in 2016.

Two men were detained for risking people’s life and the Adana Municipality had issued a warning against those who shoot at the sun.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

mawarannahr posted:

PSA for Americans

gently caress!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

PSA for Americans

Yeah well hows the weather there been since is my question

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

People make that commute? Holy poo poo

Just in case: Vancouver, WA is right across the river. Maybe a 45 minute commute in traffic. People aren't driving 5 hours each way from BC.

Also you pay OR income tax if you work in OR and live in WA. People commute from Vancouver for the same reasons they commute from any suburb.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

mawarannahr posted:

PSA for Americans

we just need a bigger gun

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

gay_crimes posted:

https://twitter.com/hotcitiesworld/status/1409602711083966464?s=20

Portland was the hottest city on earth for 5 hours, lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is this the thread in which I ask whether its hot enough for you?

Because it is for me. 9:30 am and we've sealed off our 27 degree apartment from the outside to try to keep it "cool" for the day.

In Canada.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

go for a stroll posted:

Just in case: Vancouver, WA is right across the river. Maybe a 45 minute commute in traffic. People aren't driving 5 hours each way from BC.

Also you pay OR income tax if you work in OR and live in WA. People commute from Vancouver for the same reasons they commute from any suburb.

Oh man I knew there was a similar named town to a local city too. I just thought it was a portland, WA

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It's 75F and cloudy on the south shore of Lake Superior, a little bit inland. 65F if you're out on the lake. Still, we're keeping about 2900 cubic miles of freshwater in the bathtub over here for when the Big One hits.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Bilirubin posted:

Is this the thread in which I ask whether its hot enough for you?

Because it is for me. 9:30 am and we've sealed off our 27 degree apartment from the outside to try to keep it "cool" for the day.

In Canada.

You all good?

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1410024008343506949?s=19

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I barely survived; it was 115°F for over 10 hours at my house, and the inside of the house was 100°F at 75% humidity. I had a tiny window a/c that's broken af but was able to keep my 'cool' room at 89°F through the worst of it. If it weren't for that janky-rear end window unit, me and my two cats would've surely croaked in that heat.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1410075721725210627?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

holy poo poo