Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Sydal vs Martin 5 4.55%
Bunny vs Statlander 8 7.27%
Ego vs Bear 2 1.82%
Hangman vs Powerhouse 10 9.09%
Omega vs Boy 85 77.27%
Total: 110 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Another important thing from Elevation: Julia! has new gear and it incorporates a huge fuckoff bright-pink bow

A lot of strong matches, but stands outs to me were Wheeler Yuta v. Karl Anderson, KiLynn King v. Riho, The Blade v. Chuck Taylor, The Dark Order v. the HFO, and Penta and Eddie v. TH2. But all of the matches were either very good, or very short.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I really feel that Kilynn King needs to get a tour of Japan under her belt once things open up. She's turned into a pretty decent worker but it'd let her get experience with another style and she'd fit in really well in Japan.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Mr. Squishy posted:

Another important thing from Elevation: Julia! has new gear and it incorporates a huge fuckoff bright-pink bow

A lot of strong matches, but stands outs to me were Wheeler Yuta v. Karl Anderson, KiLynn King v. Riho, The Blade v. Chuck Taylor[/url[, [url=https://youtu.be/0ffw8lyafYM?t=3897]The Dark Order v. the HFO, and Penta and Eddie v. TH2. But all of the matches were either very good, or very short.

It’s very funny to me that they used Lindsay Snow of all people as a seat filler for Elevation and the first 5 minutes of Dynamite. Is that Ashley D’Amboise in that screen shot too doing the same job?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It’s very funny to me that they used Lindsay Snow of all people as a seat filler for Elevation and the first 5 minutes of Dynamite. Is that Ashley D’Amboise in that screen shot too doing the same job?

Yeah. Dani Jordyn, Tesha Price, and probably some others I can't remember were up there too

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

A lot of the seats facing the hard-cam had wrestlers warming them. Presumably the ticket-holder didn't feel like showing up two hours early to watch a recording of (a very good) Elevation. Lindsay's been a regular in the wrestle-crowd for both Darks and Dynamites the past few months, but it's a less noticeable position.

Penguin Patrol posted:

Yeah. Dani Jordyn, Tesha Price, and probably some others I can't remember were up there too

Dillon McQueen, Robyn Renegade and her sister. Over half of the seats had a wrestler in, it was basically Where's Wally.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I'm a big fan of backwards hat Regular Human Ryzin

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Mr. Squishy posted:

A lot of the seats facing the hard-cam had wrestlers warming them. Presumably the ticket-holder didn't feel like showing up two hours early to watch a recording of (a very good) Elevation. Lindsay's been a regular in the wrestle-crowd for both Darks and Dynamites the past few months, but it's a less noticeable position.

Yeah, I knew that they’ve continued to bring in Snow since her injury, just thought it was funny that they would use someone with such a distinctive look to camouflage the fact a ticket holder hadn’t shown up yet.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember being at a WWE tv show and they brought out people that sat in empty seats for like one segment and immediately shuffled them out. This was like 7 years ago now. Anyway, they didn't look that enthused after they got up and left so the payoff must have been lovely. I thought it was kinda lame and really demonstrated how WWE wants to show its fans enjoying the product yet actively loathing their fans at the same time.

Anyway, AEW doing that with indie wrestlers is cooler, I guess. I think its like $50 and comps to hang out and network for a Dark spot. There's always a bit of where's waldo fun finding people I've seen on IWTV the weekend before. And realizing they did 8 hours in a car to get there.

And this is, historically, how a lot of indies have worked in the last 30 years. People show up to shows, help out and maybe get a last minute sub spot or booked on the next show. Pretty sure that WWE has long since closed their backstage after repeated incidents.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Where's Wally

coconono posted:

where's waldo

i don't think either of them have appeared for AEW but i could be wrong

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Penguin Patrol posted:

i don't think either of them have appeared for AEW but i could be wrong

Waldo is also known as Mister Mayhem, and he is the buff dude in the Pinnacle

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

I remember being at a WWE tv show and they brought out people that sat in empty seats for like one segment and immediately shuffled them out. This was like 7 years ago now. Anyway, they didn't look that enthused after they got up and left so the payoff must have been lovely. I thought it was kinda lame and really demonstrated how WWE wants to show its fans enjoying the product yet actively loathing their fans at the same time.
Last time I was at a WWE show was a Smackdown taping in probably '05-06ish. I had really good seats; front row lower level on the narrow side of the arena oval, looking straight on at the ring. They couldn't even fill that section, so they "upgraded" my friend and I to the back of the floor opposite the entrance, and I couldn't see poo poo. The show was literally just floor and hard cam.

Penguin Patrol posted:

Isn't that Danny Limelight behind the guy in the All In shirt?

Also is the guy in the All In shirt Ex without a mask? :stare:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 29, 2021

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

sticklefifer posted:

Last time I was at a WWE show was a Smackdown taping in probably '05-06ish. I had really good seats; front row lower level on the narrow side of the arena oval, looking straight on at the ring. They couldn't even fill that section, so they "upgraded" my friend and I to the back of the floor opposite the entrance, and I couldn't see poo poo. The show was literally just floor and hard cam.

Isn't that Danny Limelight behind the guy in the All In shirt?

Also is the guy in the All In shirt Ex without a mask? :stare:

No, Limelight has dozens of tattoos.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
:toxx: fulfillment part 8!

Doing the Jake Long Watch-a-Long now because dear god, Dynamite's scheduling left me with thin margins this week. Luckily, if the show's any indication, we've got some thin episodes today. Today we're jumping into another two parter, The Egg and The Heist.

The Egg takes place on Easter. Huh. I know holiday specials in general are out of vogue, but I feel like Easter specials were some of the first to disappear. That said, the other half of the episode is checking off one of the biggest, most inexplicable kid's show cliches: raising an egg together!

I need you guys to be real with me here. Is this one of those things show writers imported over from their own childhoods, or were there actually schools doing this kind of thing in the 2000s? I was actually in school around that time, but it was Catholic school, so I never had an assignment like this. Compared to other stock kid's show plots this one's so specific, and yet it was in like every show! I've always been curious!

Also, Jake's raising the egg with both of his friends. We've had people being into monsters in the first few episodes, and now we've got a poly triad. Jake Long's been modern predicting Tumblr left and right.

Unfortunately, that little trio's being broken up so Jake can raise a different egg: a Griffin egg. It gets snatched by the Huntsclan about five seconds after he's given the assignment, so he's not doing a very good job at it. Maybe he should've stuck to the chicken egg.

He manages to get away from them and into a series of setpieces. Jake's had to rescue the egg from being made into a cheese omelette, interrupt an Easter parade, and stolen it from a small child who picked it up on an Easter egg hunt, before losing it in an easter egg factory and having to eat every single candy egg to find the real one. This has just been gag after gag, and that's always a nice change of pace on these 11 minute shorts.

The Huntsclan finally gives up when the egg gets scrambled in their third scuffle, but that turns out to be a bait and switch. It was Jake's home economics egg that got scrambled, leaving the griffin safe and sound. We get some gross magical creature trivia and lame egg puns, and then it's right along to the second half of the episode.

This one's immediately more fun to me because we get some trolls busting into a Leprechaun golf course, stealing their gold, and poofing out. This is all because they were hired by the Eli Panderas, the Wizard of Wall Street, a billionaire playboy and literal dark wizard. Apparently leprechauns are literally dependent on the supernatural luck their pot of gold gives them, and without it they're basically slapstick magnets. With Grandpa, Foo Dog, Jake, and his friends Spud and Trixie, we've got a heist crew going on here! Spud and Trixie are on distraction, Jake and Foo Dog are on extraction, and Grandpa's the getaway driver.

It's all going smooth . . . okay, sort of. Spud and Trixie are mostly bungling through distraction duty, but their attempts at entertaining and cooking are at least keeping attention. Beyond that, this has mostly just been Baby's First Heist, and I kind of wish this episode got more airtime so it could play around with more than just the bare basics. Billionaires are classic villains for a reason, and heists have so many fun elements to play around with besides criss-crossing lasers.

Unfortunately, the easy times come to an end when Jake trips the alarm. To stop them, Panderas unleashes a giant spider called a Kumo. It's the size of the drat vault, can regenerate lost limbs, and breaks through solid steel, so its a pretty hardcore foe for a filler villain! Again, I wish this got to be a full episode. I'd love a full three-minute action scene where this thing got to show its stuff, instead of having the door shut on it while the cast makes a break for it.

With Grandpa at the wheel, they escape, unfortunately leaving the pot of gold behind. Or do they? It turns out, despite being a bit of a loose cannon through the entire episode, Jake actually listened to Grandpa for once and decided to use his head. He swapped the gold for the stew Trixie and Spud were making, leaving Panderas stuck with nothing but a disappointing meal for all his troubles.

This was an interesting set of episodes, for better or for worse. The Egg was filler as filler can get, and unlike most of the embellishments on magical creatures the ones we got this episode was just for a kinda needless gag. It was a fun little setpiece, but that was it. The Heist, on the other hand, was a concept that could've carried an entire episode and I'm a bit bummed it got so abridged. Maybe that's the sign of a good episode, though. If push comes to shove, I'd say it's better for a showrunner to leave your audience wanting more instead of wanting less.

For example, I want more Adam Page - Kenny Omega collisions! It's going to be so satisfying when Hangman finally snatches Omega's crown, and each challenger's leaving me hungrier and hungrier for it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Private party and Matt Hardys Do Rags were very stylish

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

beggar posted:

Jungle Boy has a firm grip on his future with AEW

Just wanted you to know I appreciated this :tipshat:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you nikki bella for inspiring young anna jay to get into wrestling. legend

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1409709153543626769

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Benji and Bulbasaur and Ruta are better but that's a pretty dang good cat

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

mjf has nice nails

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Of course MJF would have a cat for a pet

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

so.....watching elevation.

Eddie was over. like over over.

Like the crowd was into Penta, but really they kinda wanted Eddie Kingston levels of over.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1409704409886453764?s=21

Shida adjusting to life in America is so lovely

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Shida is so lovely

:hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jonny Nox posted:

so.....watching elevation.

Eddie was over. like over over.

Like the crowd was into Penta, but really they kinda wanted Eddie Kingston levels of over.

Eddie Kingston is one of AEW's top faces and it owns :3:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It is pretty wild that Eddie Kingston went from some indie darling they brought in for Cody to beat to a main eventer and bona fide superstar in just one year by sheer force of personality.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cerebral Bore posted:

It is pretty wild that Eddie Kingston went from some indie darling they brought in for Cody to beat to a main eventer and bona fide superstar in just one year by sheer force of personality.

I wasn't watching AEW when the Brodie Lee tribute thing went down, so I only saw the videos much later. I was pretty surprised to see Eddie Kingston doing a big, impassioned speech to the locker room before the event, so I guess Eddie hasn't found respect just in front of the audience, but in the locker room as well.

You love to see it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I almost feel like his feud with Mox was a misstep because it totally seems out of character for someone like Eddie to care more about a title belt than his FAMLEE.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

I almost feel like his feud with Mox was a misstep because it totally seems out of character for someone like Eddie to care more about a title belt than his FAMLEE.

The belt was incidental, that feud was all about his relationship with Mox.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

He was mad at Mox for selling out and for going off and being a big star and leaving Eddie behind, family and friendship and loyalty was always the focus of that feud

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Stu Grayson smiling and thumbs uping in front of a Mission Accomplished banner

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

He was mad at Mox for selling out and for going off and being a big star and leaving Eddie behind, family and friendship and loyalty was always the focus of that feud

yeah, Eddie made up a boogieman of Mox to hate in his head, and Mox had to beat it out of him and now Eddie has his targeting system calibrated correctly again, his grievances were legit, his targets were not

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wasn't watching AEW when the Brodie Lee tribute thing went down, so I only saw the videos much later. I was pretty surprised to see Eddie Kingston doing a big, impassioned speech to the locker room before the event, so I guess Eddie hasn't found respect just in front of the audience, but in the locker room as well.

You love to see it.

Obviously the Elite are the EVPs and Mox is the ace and Hangman's the future star but in many ways Eddie feels like the soul of AEW. His personal story of hustling in the minor leagues for two decades before finally getting a shot at the big time is a perfect mirror for the state of wrestling in America and I feel like more than anyone he symbolises what AEW is trying to be.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerebral Bore posted:

Even more than that, he felt like a dude who was banged up, had been turned down by the PC when they were signing anyone with an indie name and there was retirement talk surrounding him. It's a real feelgood story

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

Even more than that, he felt like a dude who was banged up, had been turned down by the PC when they were signing anyone with an indie name and there was retirement talk surrounding him. It's a real feelgood story

man had to sell his wrestling boots to make a mortgage payment, and now he's main eventing the hot poo poo promotion every third week :unsmith:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

sticklefifer posted:

The feud was absolutely him being mad at Mox for abandoning him with the title being incidental.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Fightful dropping some heavy scoops:
better sponsor than State Farm

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Mane and Tail presents: The Shampoo Shlamboree

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love how Vincels mock Eddie for having a (beer?) belly/gut yet they don't have a single wrestler that can carry the weight of the locker room in a single promo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Stu Grayson smiling and thumbs uping in front of a Mission Accomplished banner

https://twitter.com/stu_dos/status/1409586176164438043?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Please be kind to Stu in these difficult times