Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jedit posted:

On the subject of unfunny fat people: Peter Kay can gently caress off, but does he get to choose the direction he fucks off in?

Phoenix Nights is such drivel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

The best rule of thumb when it comes to etymology is that the more interesting a proposed etymology sounds, the less likely it is to be true.
Speaking of which...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/claudianvm/status/1409832279569018884

Congratulations to Keith's labour on their first policy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Josef bugman posted:

Is it just me or has he gotten more left wing over the years as well?

Maybe, I haven't listened to the Bugle, but before Last Week Tonight he'd have been working in environments where someone else has editorial control; panel shows are the preserve of melty centrism, and the Daily Show under Stewart was that typical sort of surface level "republicans evil, democrats useless" liberal take political centrists in America like so much. Last Week Tonight has gotten a bit more polemic over time in its focus on societal problems, but I don't know if we can say that's Oliver getting more left wing, or just feeling steadily freer to express his views as the show becomes more established.

It also doesn't hurt him that in the hellscape he lives in, basic normal-rear end views like "prison inmates shouldn't literally die of heat stroke" are left wing takes.

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which...

Only 1 of these is correct, 99.2% of all people on Earth get it right!!!!!

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 29, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TheRat posted:

Probably inevitable if you do as much deep research into that hosed up country as he's done over the years.

Speaking of The Daily Show, didn't Jon Stewart recently come out as a full covid lab truther? Like full on madman?

I have more time for covid lab truthers than 5g antivax types or antimaskers because tbh it's far from impossible given the proximity of the first cluster of cases to a virology research institute. I think the idea covid was deliberately released is absurd but someone certainly could have cocked up or cut one corner too many somewhere down the line

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which...

I love how these things float around and people internalise than despite them being the textbook definition of 'source: just trust me bro'

Yes I did see it was a joke

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 29, 2021

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
i think jon stewart's brain broke fully into two pieces when he did his Mr Smith goes to Washington thing with the 9/11 victims compensation fund

StarkingBarfish posted:

im sure the machinations of government will move fast enough to meet this four and a half hour deadline

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Singular lack of women on those comedian lists!

There are, and I was very concious of that when writing it. In my defence it was primarily off a discussion of 90s/00s comedy people, and sadly women stand-ups are thin on the ground. In retrospect I would add in Jo Brand though I'm not up to date enough on how currently problematic she is so would keep her firmly in the Jury's Out column.

On internalised mysoginy. In the past few years I've made a deliberate choice to limit pretty much all new music and fiction that I consume to mainly being created by women. This was after a realisation that for the vast majority of my life all bands, books, films etc. that i've been into have by and large been created by men, mainly for an audience of men, and there is a lot of toxic baggage that can come with that.

Stand up is probably an area that I've ignored, so welcome suggestions for acts to check out (aside from Josie Long who is good and should be more famous).

I thought the playing cards one was true :(

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EvilHawk posted:

My parents once went to see Andy Parsons live and said he was more funny than he was on TV... which isn't really a compliment.

Jo Brand's still good, right? I haven't missed anything with her :ohdear:
I haven't followed her much recently but as my parents for some inexplicable reason still watch the One Show I will forever appreciate how she got Carol Thatcher fired.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'd ask why this didn't apply to the Wales v Turkey game Wednesday before last, but the answer is because that'd really be within Welsh Labour's purview & Welsh Labour is not a loving embarrassment

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My best mate is a London-based stand-up comedian, had a few paying gigs so it's more a side hustle than a hobby now. Most open mic nights I've been to with her are at least half women, and almost always at least one of the men is some middle-class, very handsome white guy who thinks he can just go up and make sexist jokes and people will laugh because it's ironic or whatever. They do not do very well.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

I thought the playing cards one was true :(

It's not completely untrue, while the standard deck of cards was developing in the 15th century it was popular in some places to base the images on famous people. So this myth comes likely from a historic deck which does indeed have the kings actually labelled as Caesar, Alexander, David and Charlemagne. But there was no standardisation, one deck might be like that, another might use French kings from recent history, or completely different historical monarchs. Most decks would have had no labels at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like the honeymoon one and I'm going to tell my FIL that it's definitely true.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hope dootschland win at the football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Stand up is probably an area that I've ignored, so welcome suggestions for acts to check out (aside from Josie Long who is good and should be more famous).

See, I went along to see Josie Long (along with Grace Petrie and Johnny and The Baptists) at the Lefty Scum Tour playing at Kings Place back in 2019, and I was extremely unimpressed. She spent her entire set talking about her baby, and while I can totally understand that being totally the centre of her world, it just wasn’t good comedy. Or indeed comedy at all, really. I barely heard a laugh the entire time she was on stage, and one of my friends left muttering darkly about the Trade Descriptions Act.

I’ll admit I’ve not looked up her other stuff, but after the performance she put on I just had no real desire or interest to. (Grace Petrie was awesome as always though, and Johnny was amusing if not earth shattering.)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
One of my two favourite comedy club experiences was watching the open mic night and some sleazy looking guy comes up and does an entire 10 minute set on how women don't mind tasting themselves on their intimate partners' nether regions but guys find the equivalent very gross. It was very crass and not very funny and that was literally his only joke, repeated in various ways. The crowd was just silent the whole way through with occasional nervous laughter. When he finished no one even did the polite clapping a mediocre act gets and he could not get off that stage fast enough. Usually the comedians hung out after and had a beer and chatted to each other and said hi to (/tried to hit on) some of the guests, but this guy had sprinted out of the door the second he could and we never saw him perform again.

10/10 one of the funniest things I've ever seen

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Creating a purity list of 90's/00's comedians, here's what I have so far.

Richard Ayoade

gently caress no this one’s a Tory oval office who makes tory propaganda for children.

It just goes under the radar because Apple and Onion is so loving irritating that parents tune out before they sneak in “listen up kids the main characters are slum landlords being ripped off this is why you shouldn’t rent to Mexicans”

I swear to actual Christ that was an episode of that loving show.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I had to check this wasn't the guy who does Athletico Mince along with national treasure Bob Mortimer, because if ever there was someone who needed putting in the 'unfunny fucker coasting on coattails' bin...

Anyway that's Andy Dawson.

Dawson's actually a pretty good straight man, a very underappreciated skill (it's more apparent on TFTM because that's much more loosely scripted). Also he does the music cues without which we wouldn't have Dyche motivational tapes or Peter Beardsley, which is more than worth his slice of the Patreon money, IMO.

Also FWIW in both cases he does all the actual boring donkey work or recording, editing, etc. Between those things I think it's fair to say that neither podcast, easily the two funniest things I currently consume regularly, would exist, or at least not in their current forms, so it's a bit unfair to slate him.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

forkboy84 posted:

The Bugle fell apart when he got too successful.

GARLIC BREAD. GARLIC BREAD

The bugle is better than ever when it has good guests on imo

Though they have that one woman on who just hated Corbyn too hard to make jokes when I heard her, so I never listen to her eps

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

gently caress no this one’s a Tory oval office who makes tory propaganda for children.

It just goes under the radar because Apple and Onion is so loving irritating that parents tune out before they sneak in “listen up kids the main characters are slum landlords being ripped off this is why you shouldn’t rent to Mexicans”

Eh?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

learnincurve posted:

Thought you where referring to this, my kids love these fuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dia_Kt8yJNg

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There definitely are good comics, but they're becoming less and less well known because good comics don't get booked on mainstream shows any more, only lovely melty ones at best.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If a comedian was in the Cambridge Footlights they're probably a oval office.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Borrovan posted:

I'd ask why this didn't apply to the Wales v Turkey game Wednesday before last, but the answer is because that'd really be within Welsh Labour's purview & Welsh Labour is not a loving embarrassment

For one nobody cares about playing turkey, but also the Welsh already got to taste footballing success let us have a go, you tyrants

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

This is a separate episode in which they sing a song to their slum landlord in which they indicate he is the best,
Richard Ayoade voices Onion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWUar1yyOc

minema
May 31, 2011
My mum worked with Jo Brand when she was still a psychiatric nurse doing stand up on the side. Said she a terrible nurse who only cared about her comedy career but tbf at least it paid off

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

This is a separate episode in which they sing a song to their slum landlord in which they indicate he is the best,

The gently caress is this.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

The gently caress is this.

Unfunny Aqua Teens ripoff

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s show A LOT on Cartoon Network and that’s not even the most yay landlord/capitalism/racism/national stereotypes thing they’ve done by a long shot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The most dire 'comedian' I saw live was a woman at a science fiction convention evening show. She was Indian and her routine for the 10 minutes I stuck around was how much she loved Jewish cock and her small 'punani' (Hindu* word for lady parts).

The audience seemed very uneasy - especially those with young kids in tow! - not sure whether to 'peer pressure' laugh or not. I walked out, followed by quite a few others. The white, 'woke', middle class trying to be non-racist dilemma - at what point are you being racist and at what point is the 'comedy' not only not funny but also bordering on offensive.

Many years ago I also walked out of Jerry Sadowitz because that was really not funny.

*Ed: I think that should have been Hindi not Hindu - apologies!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 29, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Many years ago I also walked out of Jerry Sadowitz because that was really not funny.

There's a Venn diagram of Jerry Sadowitz fans and Utterly Irredeemable Cunts which is basically a circle.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We are enemies now.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

There's a Venn diagram of Jerry Sadowitz fans and Utterly Irredeemable Cunts which is basically a circle.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We are enemies now.
:yikes:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had a bigpost ready to go about Baddiel but twisto covered all the points better. I guess it depends on your age though as to which era you tend to know him from.

His Mary Whitehouse career hit right at the peak of student culture as well, just before it got completely assassinated by stripping students of their ability to sign on during holidays and then replacing grants with repayable loans. So people over the age of about 45 who went to uni have fond memories of him being the anti establishment comedian, or at least the one who's still willing to engage with public life outside of Mock the Week and voiceovers.

Then for people younger than that, you're going to have the Fantasy Football League / lad combo, and then on the tail end of that the lightning seeds stuff, but with the start he got from Mary Whitehouse I doubt he'd have been able to get involved in any of the other stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is another reason why noone will ever vote for me to be Prime Minister - I have zero interest in who wins a dancing or cooking competition, don't give a toss who wins a football match and don't pretend to buy cornish pasties from non-existent train-station-based pasty stands. That and the sniper watchtowers taking out owners of pooping dogs.
I'll never forget that time Cameron had a go at Corbyn for not turning up to the England rugby game and asked where's your national pride, and Corbyn's answer was that he was at the GP surgery for his constituents he runs every week at that time, i.e. doing his loving job.

Corbyn still somehow came out of that one as the bad guy. I feel like if I got involved on politics I'd end up getting shitcanned not for any of my bad ideas but because I don't know who anyone in Coronation Street is.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

learnincurve posted:

uh wtf. This is awful

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Julius Caesar wasn't a king :colbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The most dire 'comedian' I saw live was a woman at a science fiction convention evening show. She was Indian and her routine for the 10 minutes I stuck around was how much she loved Jewish cock and her small 'punani' (Hindu word for lady parts).

The audience seemed very uneasy - especially those with young kids in tow! - not sure whether to 'peer pressure' laugh or not. I walked out, followed by quite a few others. The white, 'woke', middle class trying to be non-racist dilemma - at what point are you being racist and at what point is the 'comedy' not only not funny but also bordering on offensive.

I very nearly walked out on Simon Amstell in Edinburgh - we bought tickets because he seemed funny on Buzzcocks, but it turns out that Phill Jupitus and Bill Bailey can make anyone funny and on his own Amstell did jokes about clowns sexually assaulting people which were not good.

Best comic I've seen at Edinburgh to this day was a guy called Ciamh MacDonnell, who was a free show. The free shows have been absolute gold sometimes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

She was Indian and her routine for the 10 minutes I stuck around was how much she loved Jewish cock
Are you sure that wasn't Julie Burchill in brownface?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I very nearly walked out on Simon Amstell in Edinburgh - we bought tickets because he seemed funny on Buzzcocks, but it turns out that Phill Jupitus and Bill Bailey can make anyone funny and on his own Amstell did jokes about clowns sexually assaulting people which were not good.
His Netflix special is basically him doing therapy for an hour and a half. I found it interesting in a kind of uncomfortable challenging way, and there are some pretty solid jokes, but if you go into it expecting Buzzcocks Amstell, you are going to be very confused and disappointed.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The most dire 'comedian' I saw live was a woman at a science fiction convention evening show. She was Indian and her routine for the 10 minutes I stuck around was how much she loved Jewish cock and her small 'punani' (Hindu word for lady parts).

I think it was a Shappi Khorsandi bit about her schooldays that ended with 'and then the boys would try to finger you behind the bikeshed'. The sheer wave of 'what is the correct way to react to that' awkwardness that washed over the tv audience (and me at home) was palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

His Netflix special is basically him doing therapy for an hour and a half. I found it interesting in a kind of uncomfortable challenging way, and there are some pretty solid jokes, but if you go into it expecting Buzzcocks Amstell, you are going to be very confused and disappointed.

I went to a Simon Amstell gig when I was at uni and he put a lot more effort into trying to pick up students in the pub afterwards than he did into performing