Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

The Science Goy posted:

I'm going to bed anyway so :shrug:

KitchenAid models in the Bosch 300+ price range are fine, the third racks are well thought out and they dry dishes well. Our last model had bottle wash which was wonderful but our new one has cup/mug cleaners that make up for the lack of bottle wash.

Also the KitchenAid racks feel less jank than Bosch racks. Why is it so hard to make decent racks? So many of them feel terrible.

E: we had a mid grade Whirlpool that came with the house, I thought it was entry builder grade after getting used to our old house's KitchenAid. Turns out that lovely Whirlpool cost $629US. Total junk for the price, didn't dry worth a drat, loud as gently caress, did not-awful at cleaning but not good enough for me. You do get tangible improvements as you climb the price ladder towards/above a grand.

No KitchenAid probe? Cowards.

Kneel down before the supreme manufacturer which makes some awfully poo poo models too since they're owned by whirlpool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Is Yale Appliances still a good resource? I'm researching front load washers and I've been looking at LG's models, but there is a Whirlpool model I like also, and they seem to like the reliability of Whirlpools, especially since the dispenser is at the bottom. They did mention that if Whirlpool didn't sell to builders, the repair rate would be several points higher, but I don't know why that makes a difference?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
There was a giant dead rat in the road in front of my house. Like an absolute unit of a fellow.

NSWF:

Overnight it got moved into my yard. I picked it up with a shovel and hucked it in a bag and it was very smelly. That is all.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Ball Tazeman posted:

Groundhog came back lol

Ours is getting bold about exploring the backyard now that we no longer have a dog:

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Turns out this groundhog we caught is a baby and the mother also came back. I’m sure there will be more wandering around.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

There was a giant dead rat in the road in front of my house. Like an absolute unit of a fellow.

NSWF:

Overnight it got moved into my yard. I picked it up with a shovel and hucked it in a bag and it was very smelly. That is all.

I think this fellow may be full of several smaller fellows.

I kept males and one of my boys got almost that big (in life) but not with those proportions.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Ours is getting bold about exploring the backyard now that we no longer have a dog:

If only they didn't wreck poo poo while making homes, they're so fun to watch otherwise. We've got some bunnies that are entertaining and they make our dog go bonkers, and we haven't seen them try to wreck any of our plants yet so yay.

We just had a landscaper come out to begin plans on grade improvements and a rock wall that goes across our yard and our neighbor's yard, to stabilize and enhance the gross steep slope behind our houses. Gonna be a spendy project over the course of a few years but we stand to gain a ton of functional space and maybe :siren: a horseshoe pit :siren:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I totally forgot to follow up on my UHaul box shipping thing.

Turns out they *did* arrive in 7 big packaged boxes. Not sure why I received a tracking number for literally every singe item.

Also the box quality is legit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FIL's cat absolutely wrecks groundhogs and rabbits - he'd get offerings a few times a week.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thank god the racoons have finally been evicted from the attic. The babies are cute as hell, and I'm cool with them living nearby, just not in my house thanks. The house is for me the forest is for you, and you will respect the accords.

Now time to convince forcefully evict the mice, who have broken the accords

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

TrueChaos posted:

Thank god the racoons have finally been evicted from the attic. The babies are cute as hell, and I'm cool with them living nearby, just not in my house thanks. The house is for me the forest is for you, and you will respect the accords.

Yeah, living in the woods definitely changes the rules for living with the critters. Our detente stands as long as they don't try to get within the envelope of the house (which includes soffit and attic). The mice refuse to abide by these rules, and we are therefore in open warfare.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm hoping for just a super rough estimate on something. We looked at a house today and one bedroom was eliminated and turned into part of the master bedroom. Say the room is eleven feet where the room needs to be divided. Say the room is 7.5 feet high.

What might the super rough estimate be to divide a big room into two rooms, adding one door from a hallway?

I'm sure this is a dumb question given the things I don't know but it's worth a shot to ask.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 28, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

me your dad posted:

I'm hoping for just a super rough estimate on something. We looked at a house today and one bedroom was eliminated and turned into part of the master bedroom. Say the room is eleven feet where the room needs to be divided. Say the room is 7.5 feet high.

What might the super rough estimate be to divide a big room into two rooms, adding one door from a hallway?

I'm sure this is a dumb question given the things I don't know but it's worth a shot to ask.

It's just a partition wall and trim, potentially a door/doorframe so you're into this on the order of a few thousand dollars. Unless you are in an insanely high cost of living area and/or demand this be done right now it should be under $10k, and well under that in most markets. On average. Barring things you've forgotten about, like potentially flooring issues. And assuming average to builder grade finishes.

That being said, good luck getting anyone to come out for a job this small these days.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thank you - that gives a good enough idea.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I was wrong. They groundhog didn’t come back, all the babies just decided to finally exit their house. There are so many little hotties in our yard now. We’ve only managed to catch one and dump it off 6 miles away.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah, living in the woods definitely changes the rules for living with the critters. Our detente stands as long as they don't try to get within the envelope of the house (which includes soffit and attic). The mice refuse to abide by these rules, and we are therefore in open warfare.

Yeah I'll put up with warfare with the mice for the joys of forest living. Did an hour or so of yardwork while watching 6 red squirrels chase each other around, a number of chipmunks ran across my feet (and it's hilarious how startled they get when they realize you're alive), the woodpecker rattled away occasionally, and the little racoons investigated stuff not 10 feet away. Occasionally deer come through, along with turkeys. Only seen a coyote once, but hear them frequently.

I don't mind all the extra work of living in a place like this at all, it's so relaxing. We've got 2 acres not far from the city (30km to downtown of a 1mill population place) and it's the best of both worlds.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there any reason not to paint these exposed drain/vent pipes?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

me your dad posted:

We’re currently doing this to close up a dumb open floor plan between our living room and dining room. We initially wanted a pocket door with built ins in dining room side but have scaled down to save money. Three quotes for plan with pocket doors and built ins were $11k, $5k and $4k. Quotes for just wall have ranged from $1400 to $5k. We’re going with someone in the middle for about $2k to frame, tape and paint both sides.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there any reason not to paint these exposed drain/vent pipes?

Not that I can think of. You don’t like them?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I think they're beautiful. My wife has asked me to paint the laundry room, so I'm going for an even coat where possible.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I would box them in then paint, but it may not be worth the effort depending on the location.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Colored duct tape and glitter glue

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

I had a raccoon get in my attic a few times and one of them was clever enough to find a way in between my 2nd and 1st floor and I could literally hear him scraping away under my closet. The joys of owning a box framed house. I've since closed up their entry point but they still manage to get in the eaves sometimes. The sight of a raccoons now makes me feel so much rage.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

extravadanza posted:

I had a raccoon get in my attic a few times and one of them was clever enough to find a way in between my 2nd and 1st floor and I could literally hear him scraping away under my closet. The joys of owning a box framed house. I've since closed up their entry point but they still manage to get in the eaves sometimes. The sight of a raccoons now makes me feel so much rage.

This, but it's squirrels for me. They're all fine and cute and whatever out in the woods, but if they break into my house then it's war.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i have told the hornets that if they stay outside they get to live

and if they come in the garage or patio, they get the spray.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

god drat I tried one of those hampton bay ceiling medallions to cover up an area that I tried to fix up with paint (I'm dumb) and it looks way worse, it's like HELLO HERE I AM, A VERY BRIGHT WHITE CHEAP MEDALLION!!!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You're supposed to paint it with your ceiling paint

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I painted mine a contrasting colour and I think it looks pretty cool, pic is in my build thread somewhere

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, you can also do it in a contrasting color, I just mean you don't put it up as naked white plastic and expect it to look right

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, you can also do it in a contrasting color, I just mean you don't put it up as naked white plastic and expect it to look right

The problem is that the ceiling was painted 15 years ago, so I have no way to match it. Also I don't have an actual fixture up, just one of those concealers. Which actually held the medallion up fine (the concealer is 4 3/4" diameter, and the medallion hole is 4", so it works), but it still looked weird. Obviously you are supposed to use it with an actual fixture.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

On the other hand, if you're a heavy smoker, about six months will see it matched right up.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having most of my place repainted, so I'll get an estimate to spray the ceiling, gently caress it

gotta love the previous owners who painted the ceiling, but didn't take down the ceiling fixtures first

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 30, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Holy moly just finished up replacing two tile walk in showers with two different contractors and learned a ton about the 8 million ways they can fail and ruin your house. They were built with two completely different methods and both have different issues to fix so now we're getting quotes to replace the 40 year old downstairs one with fiberglass because what a horrible slog to get done with added bonus paranoia of finding something bad in 5 years behind the walls. Do not recommend.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Holy moly just finished up replacing two tile walk in showers with two different contractors and learned a ton about the 8 million ways they can fail and ruin your house. They were built with two completely different methods and both have different issues to fix so now we're getting quotes to replace the 40 year old downstairs one with fiberglass because what a horrible slog to get done with added bonus paranoia of finding something bad in 5 years behind the walls. Do not recommend.

Please share your wisdom! What are the different ways they were ruinous? Eventually we want to gut the bathroom off of our primary bedroom which will include retiling a walk in shower and removing tub surround in favor of a stand alone tub.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

actionjackson posted:

I'm having most of my place repainted, so I'll get an estimate to spray the ceiling, gently caress it

gotta love the previous owners who painted the ceiling, but didn't take down the ceiling fixtures first

Whatup, lazy PO bud

Thankfully this is in my bedroom so I don't really care that much, but FFS.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Closing on a house tonight and the previous owner took their washer/dryer. What's the good one to get, I assume there are some Opinions around here given what I've seen on dish washers.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

leper khan posted:

Closing on a house tonight and the previous owner took their washer/dryer. What's the good one to get, I assume there are some Opinions around here given what I've seen on dish washers.

Speed Queen top load washer/front load dryer with mechanical controls. There are a couple different models available that fit that spec.

Quality is good, fewer electronics to worry about, repair-ability is high.

https://speedqueen.com/products/all-products/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I watched the series finale of Bosch last night, and just as the credits started to roll my Bosch dishwasher chimed to let me know it was done. A blessed day.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

leper khan posted:

I'm sure you know this, but in case others don't you have to write in to the offer to keep most appliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tezer posted:

Speed Queen top load washer/front load dryer with mechanical controls. There are a couple different models available that fit that spec.

Quality is good, fewer electronics to worry about, repair-ability is high.

https://speedqueen.com/products/all-products/

I'll 2nd the Speed Queen. I've got the washing machine and we're really happy with it. Using the oxy clean also made a huge difference with our ridiculous water.