Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Lone Badger posted:

Pity there's no Nier: Gestalt

Papa Nier is real to me dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Replicant has a stronger story, imho, so you're in good hands there. The combat is more in line with Automata than the original version now, too.

Hmm ok I'll probably pick it up, thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
been looking for cheaper stuff to pick up. i've heard something or other about all of these, and they're all sub or around $5. any particular recommendations?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

been looking for cheaper stuff to pick up. i've heard something or other about all of these, and they're all sub or around $5. any particular recommendations?

I think I know why its called HARD west

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rinkles posted:

Dungeon of the Endless is great if the idea of a roguelike tower defense game interests you. It's real good. Steamworld Heist was also solid for a playthrough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sorry, don’t remember who that is.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Dicey Dungeons, Steamworld Heist, Dungeon of the Endless are all good. NEO Scavenger went beyond that to be one of my favorite games of whatever year it came out.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any strong opinions on Nier Replicant? I liked Automata but mostly for the weird story, the combat was just kind of okay.

I say go for it if you like Automata, but it definitely felt lesser to me.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The free copy of Surviving Mars that Humble was giving out a while back has got me interested in playing city builders again, anybody got words on what's good in the genre right now?

I've mainly been looking at
Per Aspera
Anno 2070/2205
Worker's & Resources: Soviet Republic (EA)
Industries of Titan (EA, have heard it's still on the barebones side)

I've already got Skylines and the old Impressions games and so on. Surviving Mars was pretty fun early but it feels like once you get the basic production loops going it's mostly smooth sailing unless you get a rare random event.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Neo Scavenger is one of the best survival games but it's kinda hard to get into. Also, it's coded in Flash.

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Hard West's combat is kind of broken and the campaign map is half-baked, but it's stylish as hell and definitely worth getting now that it's only $1 on Fanatical (in the Summer Bundle).

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any strong opinions on Nier Replicant? I liked Automata but mostly for the weird story, the combat was just kind of okay.

how well did you tolerate having to replay a significant portion of the game as 9S, because replicant is way way worse about making you replay stuff & doesn't even give you a new character for it or change things up anywhere near as much, it gets very tedious.

there are very clear reasons why it was just a polarising cult classic originally & not the huge hit that automata was, and you get to see a lot of the things that automata did, just done worse with less of a budget. the only thing that there's a reasonable argument that it does better than automata is some of the characters are more emotionally compelling (but i didn't really feel that way), and in terms of the plot & how it presents itself, it was a little novel for its time but doesn't really push things anywhere near as far as automata either

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Don't play it too long that you can't return it if you're not sure at first. This one sounds like it should appeal to me, and I was coached through playing it, and I was just cocking my head like... this is it? This is the gameplay? I suspect that even the people who enjoy it wouldn't use "fun" as the first word to describe it. I'm not saying that it's one of these super obtuse or complex games, cause it's not that either.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Industries of Titan (EA, have heard it's still on the barebones side)

Industries of Titan is very fleshed out now, but i'm not sure if I really enjoy it. There is alot of spinning plates involved and some of the mechanics, such as power management, are frustrating rather than interesting.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mescal posted:

Don't play it too long that you can't return it if you're not sure at first. This one sounds like it should appeal to me, and I was coached through playing it, and I was just cocking my head like... this is it? This is the gameplay? I suspect that even the people who enjoy it wouldn't use "fun" as the first word to describe it. I'm not saying that it's one of these super obtuse or complex games, cause it's not that either.

From what I recall, most of the variety comes from using the different unlockable characters, not unlike FTL’s ships. It’s a decent roguelike with a nice aesthetic, just don’t expect it to be a forever game like DCSS, TOME or Hades.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Xeras posted:

I was looking for a good FPS but the reviews on Shadow of the Tomb Raider don't seem great. Is it worth $13? Any other recentish suggestions?

If you haven't played DUSK go get it now

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Lone Badger posted:

Pity there's no Nier: Gestalt

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is the realm of PC: just mod him back in:

https://www.nexusmods.com/nierreplicant/mods/17
https://www.nexusmods.com/nierreplicant/mods/24

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Rinkles posted:

Steamworld Heist is really good. Probably my favorite casual turn based game.

Jack the Ripper is maybe second best Sherlock Holmes game (bit janky, though)

Bureau was passable, IMO not worth it, but some people seem to like it.

I didn't like DotE at all.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I loved dungeon of the endless. A bit of a longer run based roguelike/lite/whatever, real time with pause, a bit of tower defense, it's a fun mashup and plays well. The design and music is also pretty good imo. I played it for like 50 hours, well worth the price.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xeras posted:

I was looking for a good FPS but the reviews on Shadow of the Tomb Raider don't seem great. Is it worth $13? Any other recentish suggestions?

Overload

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Bureau is bad, don't bother. It has a passable twist towards the end, that's probably the most interesting thing to be said for it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

Industries of Titan is very fleshed out now, but i'm not sure if I really enjoy it. There is alot of spinning plates involved and some of the mechanics, such as power management, are frustrating rather than interesting.

Yeah. The gimmick of being able to design your own buildings is pretty cool at first, but after a while it ends up a bit superfluous once you figured out your favourite layouts for a given purpose. When I just need some extra power I'd like to be able to just plop down a power building, and not have to build a new factory (floor), wait for it to finish, then fill it up with various generators and fuel fabricators. The game really needs a "copy current floor layout functionality, and it's weird that it doesn't seem to have one at this stage.

Now, it does have some dedicated buildings for power generation etc. available as well, but those are locked behind a fairly lengthy grind. Clearly the idea is for you to make do with self-made buildings until you're too rich to have to care about such things, but currently that's kind of a pain.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hwurmp posted:

Overload

Seconding this. Overload is basically everything your rose-tinted brain thinks Descent was and should be, it's great fun with good weapons, levels, enemies, even a well-thought out customization/advancement system for the single player campaign.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Samopsa posted:

I loved dungeon of the endless. A bit of a longer run based roguelike/lite/whatever, real time with pause, a bit of tower defense, it's a fun mashup and plays well. The design and music is also pretty good imo. I played it for like 50 hours, well worth the price.

I’ll second pretty much all of this, right down to the time played. I’ve never been able to get into tower defense stuff, but I had a blast with DotE. It’s a steal for that price.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Palpek posted:

I didn't notice, I was frustrated by the gameplay too much.

Anyway, any solid solitaire recommendations other than Fairy Solitaire and Fairway Solitaire itt?

FreeCell Quest

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bureau is a pretty solid third person shooter but you can see the stitching in the script from the old versions of it and the ai will literally sit and do nothing if you ever stop ordering it around

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
there was a good, thorough lp of bureau that got some devs along for the ride too but it doesn't seem to be in the archives

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah neo scav absolutely owns but its also a very difficult game to get into

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

there was a good, thorough lp of bureau that got some devs along for the ride too but it doesn't seem to be in the archives

This one? I found it in the forum archives, though not the public LP Archive site.

Amusingly, the OP mentioned they would try and get it in LP Archive on that thread's final post, and the author is still around, so maybe it can still be preserved there.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xeras posted:

Most FPS and third person shooters play very similarly to me, sorry.

This fundamentally doesn't make sense to me sorry. Third person shooters give you far more spatial awareness since you can rotate the camera around your character. In an FPS if your character isn't looking at something, you can't see it. That one thing completely changes how you play each type of game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Name one FPS where you can admire your own butt

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
played through most of Carrion yesterday, probably gonna finish it tonight. fun game though I don't think it does nearly as much as it could with its premise

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5O0BnVzmEc

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hwurmp posted:

Portal

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Trickyblackjack posted:

I say go for it if you like Automata, but it definitely felt lesser to me.

lih posted:

how well did you tolerate having to replay a significant portion of the game as 9S, because replicant is way way worse about making you replay stuff & doesn't even give you a new character for it or change things up anywhere near as much, it gets very tedious.

there are very clear reasons why it was just a polarising cult classic originally & not the huge hit that automata was, and you get to see a lot of the things that automata did, just done worse with less of a budget. the only thing that there's a reasonable argument that it does better than automata is some of the characters are more emotionally compelling (but i didn't really feel that way), and in terms of the plot & how it presents itself, it was a little novel for its time but doesn't really push things anywhere near as far as automata either

Thanks for weighing in, I should probably just wait till it gets cheaper.

Any other recent story driven 3rd person arpg type stuff that'd you'd recommend? I've already played Horizon, Death Stranding, rear end Creeds, Yakuza...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:hai:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
outer wilds is constantly making me poo poo my pants despite having zero enemies. parking your spaceship on something going very fast through space is nerve-wracking.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Hwurmp posted:

portal

e: gently caress

goldeneye 007 / perfect dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Foul Fowl posted:

outer wilds is constantly making me poo poo my pants despite having zero enemies. parking your spaceship on something going very fast through space is nerve-wracking.

in VR that game is amazing and also terrifying.