Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I would strongly suggest so, yes. Hopefully it's the home strait now, and that's a crazy price for a 1060. Hold on just a little while longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We're at a crossroads with the GPU market right now. Second-hand prices have dipped somewhat, but that downward trend basically stalled over the last week. We seem to be at an awkward period where GPU companies have stopped shipping their non-LHR cards, but the LHR cards have yet to really hit the market outside of maybe a handful of models. (note: LHR cards are the ones that intentionally gimp ethereum mining.) The downward trend may not resume until we start seeing some actual LHR card drops.

Basically, I don't think the market is going to get worse, but it could take a couple weeks before we start seeing meaningful price drops again in the second-hand market. I'd definitely wait a bit before pulling the trigger on any heavily overpriced cards.

edit: for what it's worth, it seems pretty easy to get a 1060 6GB in on American ebay for around $300 if you're watching all the listings, so seeing a $480 price is especially gross.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 26, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

I need a sanity check.

I'm still with an i5-750 and GTX660. I probably won't be buying a whole new computer in the next few months even though I obviously really, really should. I've adapted over the years by basically mostly playing lo-fi indie stuff and avoiding graphically intensive games and it's been fine. But I've started Dark Souls 3 and this is the first time where I've had to drop down to 720p to get 60fps. It plays fine obviously, just looks a little grainy, and well, I'm not used to it.

I found a local shop that according to its site has a GTX1060 (the 6GB model) for the equivalent of just under $480 (not in the US and the prices here are higher in general, but that's still obviously high). I'd have to call tomorrow to check if it's actually in stock.

I'm seriously considering it. But it feels insane to go for it. I know "anything you can get your hands on" is the general advice right now, but I'll be bottlenecked by my CPU anyway for a while longer. And when I do buy a new computer I might as well aim a little higher than 1080p60, and then the 1060 would be kind of useless. On the other hand, it will allow me to play whatever games I've passed on in recent years without having to commit to buying a whole new system just yet.

I could also get a 1650 or 1050ti for cheaper, but they're obviously still overpriced.

Stick with the 660 and adapt to 720p, right? Especially since crypto appears to have taken a bit of a hit in recent weeks.

Do not do this, especially as you’re likely gonna bottleneck on your CPU.

Deal, and wait the few months and hope it shakes better when you can replace the whole system is my advice.

I am not a lawyer.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Thanks all, that's the kind of sensible talk I needed to hear I think. It'd have been a massive overreaction to having to turn down the resolution on one game, but for a few hours there the irrational part of my brain had the upper hand.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

pumped up for school posted:

I've been WFH since 2019 and I still have irritants with this. For monitors I had enough inputs so docking work machine HDMI out to 2 monitors, and home machine DP out to same monitors. It does take 4-5 button presses on each monitor to swap. Irritating but doable.

Keyboard and mouse, though (using logitech unifying) I haven't figured out an easy way other than having a second KB&M, which is just more clutter that I hate.

Look into DDC control if you want to be able to switch monitor inputs via a hot key. For Windows, Control My Monitor can do the switching, and AutoHotKey for the hot keying. On a Mac, ddcctl can do the switching and then something like Karabiner for the hotkeying.

Then for the KB&M you can just use a cheap KVM since you don’t really care about its video support, or something like Mouse Without Borders or Synergy or Barrier to share a single KB/M via software.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
How noticeable is the difference between the Ryzen 5600x and 5800x?
I don't have any interest in playing beyond 1080p 60fps but I do want to be able to multitask a lot, running like Discord video calls / streams or giant piles of browser windows on my second monitor while I play.
More cores and more threads sounds better for that, but how often do modern games come close to maxing out the 5600x for the extra cores to matter?

I currently have a super old cpu and am heavily CPU-bottlenecked in the games I play, and to upgrade I'm going to need the expense of a new motherboard and DDR5 ram anyways, so I'm looking at ~$650 vs ~$750 total to switch to one or the other.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This probably isn't the right place for this but oh well.

Trying to figure out if a KVM can do this:

New work from home person... had a PC hooked up to two monitors with all accessories (mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitors). Now, the docking station with laptop is hooked up to the two monitors and all accessories (mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitors). Attempting to be able to easily switch back and forth from the docking station laptop to the home PC on the same two monitors. Is this possible? How would it work?

If so, any recommended KVM's that would achieve this?

I came up with a solution that I posted about in the last thread. Can only link it here, Awful app doesn’t let me quote it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3#post515001681

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How noticeable is the difference between the Ryzen 5600x and 5800x?
I don't have any interest in playing beyond 1080p 60fps but I do want to be able to multitask a lot, running like Discord video calls / streams or giant piles of browser windows on my second monitor while I play.
More cores and more threads sounds better for that, but how often do modern games come close to maxing out the 5600x for the extra cores to matter?

I currently have a super old cpu and am heavily CPU-bottlenecked in the games I play, and to upgrade I'm going to need the expense of a new motherboard and DDR5 ram anyways, so I'm looking at ~$650 vs ~$750 total to switch to one or the other.

In gaming?

Basically 0 difference. Do not buy a 5800x for this use case

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just checked for first time in a while and newegg has cards listed in stock, like 2060's...but obviously overpriced. Still interesting that there's some options that aren't ebay.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-gv-n2060oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932115

I would be really careful about this. You will note, in the price box, that the seller is not Newegg, but a third party. These products tend to be massively inflated in cost.

The very bottom of the page will have other sellers listed. If Newegg isn't an option, personally, I would pass...

These will often pop up on PCPartsPicker, as well, massively inflating prices if a third-party seller is the only option while pretending to be "from Newegg." At the end of the day, only you can decide if the markup is worthwhile, but do understand that anything not-from-Newegg is probably priced 20%-100% over MSRP.

As for this, specific, $600 2060: it's hard to say yes when a $500 3060Ti will outperform it and and a 3070 at the same price point will net you double-digit performance increases. But it's also hard to say no when that 3060Ti and 3070 are basically the Dragon Balls and you have no hope of getting either...

:shrek:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gone by the time I saw this. :v:

Never in 20 years of ordering parts have I been this frustrated or exhausted looking for something as simple as a GPU. You guys werent exaggerating when you said its hell right now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Furnaceface posted:

Gone by the time I saw this. :v:

Never in 20 years of ordering parts have I been this frustrated or exhausted looking for something as simple as a GPU. You guys werent exaggerating when you said its hell right now.

it's legit gotten a little better of late, actually. this time two months ago was even worse lol

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Gonna trip out to my local micrometer this morning to search for a gpu. Maybe I'll get lucky. My current GPA seems to be sitting the bed so I'm hoping to get ahead of it. Launch 1070 if anyone cares.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Gameko posted:

Gonna trip out to my local micrometer this morning to search for a gpu. Maybe I'll get lucky. My current GPA seems to be sitting the bed so I'm hoping to get ahead of it. Launch 1070 if anyone cares.

I would expect a new graphics card to make your GPA worse rather than better, unless your classes involve lots of 3D modelling and rendering

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would expect a new graphics card to make your GPA worse rather than better, unless your classes involve lots of 3D modelling and rendering

Heh. That’s a pretty good autocorrect.

Trip Report: For those not in the know, Microcenter is doing a queue system now where you show up, scan a QR code, then enter your vitals to get a place in line. Just before the store opens you’ll get a text telling you if you are getting a card or not. Once you ‘win’ you’re assigned a spot in line, and after that it’s first come first serve.

10 minutes to claim your spot once the text goes out, and if you want a specific chipset or SKU it can be luck of the draw, but if you get a spot you at least won’t be empty handed.

Today in Cambridge, Massachusetts they had quite few NVIDA 30 series cards…they might have had some AMD ones as well but my brain would have glossed over those. The QR sign had a list of stock…it was something like 10x 3090, 10x 3090 TI, 10x 3080, 10x 3080 TI, you get the idea. I think they only had 2x of the 3070/3070 TI, so that would have been a hard one to lay hands on.

I scored a place in line and was actually #2 to pick, but I wanted a vanilla 3080 so my future would have been reasonably secure even quite a ways back in line. FWIW, the Cambridge QR period is 9:00 am to 9:30 am, and while there was some activity there it didn’t seem like a big crowd. I feel like anyone who got there in the window probably had a chance to buy a card, and the miscellaneous crowd who were hoping for stock after opening probably did OK as well.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

In gaming?

Basically 0 difference. Do not buy a 5800x for this use case

5800x is a pretty good cpu if you also plan on using the system for content creation.

In normal times: 5800x is the cpu you get if you can't afford $100 more for the 5900x, and you have a need for apps that use more cores. In most cases for content creators or others who need a good amount of cores, you'd be better with 5900x.

Right now though, 5800x is what you mostly have to get if you need a system right now and can't keep trying your luck over and over to get the 5900x.

5800x is still easily enough for most artists and animators though. Pugetsystems uses it for their baseline builds for both 2d and 3d artists. It sucks losing those cores if you did kinda need them, but 5800x will do just fine for most creative professionals for now. Unless you *really really really* need the core count of the 5900x, 5800x isn't bad at all.

Also - if you plan on doing a lot of livestreaming on your system, 5800x is a solid choice since OBS loves multi-core. 5600x should still be just fine for casual streaming for the most part though.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 28, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Spacedad posted:

5800x is a pretty good cpu if you also plan on using the system for content creation.

In normal times: 5800x is the cpu you get if you can't afford $100 more for the 5900x, and you have a need for apps that use more cores. In most cases for content creators or others who need a good amount of cores, you'd be better with 5900x.

Right now though, 5800x is what you mostly have to get if you need a system right now and can't keep trying your luck over and over to get the 5900x.

5800x is still easily enough for most artists and animators though. Pugetsystems uses it for their baseline builds for both 2d and 3d artists. It sucks losing those cores if you did kinda need them, but 5800x will do just fine for most creative professionals for now. Unless you *really really really* need the core count of the 5900x, 5800x isn't bad at all.

Also - if you plan on doing a lot of livestreaming on your system, 5800x is a solid choice since OBS loves multi-core. 5600x should still be just fine for casual streaming for the most part though.

But he’s just gaming, discord and browser tabs.

Absolutely zero of that will benefit from a 5800x+. Not enough to be worth the extra $$ anyway. That cash would be better served shoving into a better GPU or doubling the ram.

The only way I’d recommend a 5800x in this case is if you’re already buying a high end 3080 and 32/64gb of ram and a great case/cooling solution, and you have $100 that extra that you intend to spend. Then sure.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm putting together a new PC for my brother. He's currently using my previous PC that I built maybe 10 years ago? It still has an Intel dualcore 8400 processor :v:

He doesn't play games, so it's a general purpose machine except that he is an amateur photographer with a ton of photos, so extra storage is needed. It doesn't need to be dirt cheap and reliability is important. What I've currently specced for him:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS WIFI
PSU: Corsair TX-M Series TX650M V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - Processor
GPU: MSI N730-2GD3 I've stuck a simple, passively cooled GPU in there as the CPU doesn't have onboard graphics. I'm not sure if that does anything in relation to photo editing software or if I'm better off switching to a motherboard/processor that can handle onboard graphics
RAM: HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB4/16
SSD: Samsung 980 1 TB
HDD: Toshiba X300 HDWE140UZSVA 4TB - 3.5" I would appreciate any advice on which hard drives are the non-crap ones, if there is any appreciable difference between the major brands

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $90.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler (Purchased For $40.00) (If this clashes with the RAM I'll swap for the stock Wraith Stealth, I just had it already)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $108.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 510 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $100.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $90.00)
Total: $558.00

Finished speccing out my friend's new PC. She's upgrading from a 6-year-old iMac and her only stipulation was that she wanted the same case that I have, so I put together this unholy abomination made up of stuff that I could find used for cheap/on sale/or that I already had lying around. That PSU is the one that was buzzing so I'll probably have to find a cheap bronze-tier replacement.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

In that case, a 3600 should be sufficient, especially if your friend is only gaming above 1080p. A 5600x doesn't really make that much of a difference in that case.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

In that case, a 3600 should be sufficient, especially if your friend is only gaming above 1080p. A 5600x doesn't really make that much of a difference in that case.

A 5600x will certainly make a difference, if not now then in a few years from now, where the 5800x won’t make a difference in a few years.

The 3600 is fine, but it’s not adjacent to the 5600x in gaming.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

mA posted:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Absolutely zero of that will benefit from a 5800x+. Not enough to be worth the extra $$ anyway. That cash would be better served shoving into a better GPU or doubling the ram.

The only way I’d recommend a 5800x in this case is if you’re already buying a high end 3080 and 32/64gb of ram and a great case/cooling solution, and you have $100 that extra that you intend to spend. Then sure.

I agree, just spelling out the reasons why you'd go for the other CPUs.

5600x would be just fine for most people here. If you're doing content-creation or similar tasks that involve multi-core apps, then a 5800x or greater.

A 5600x will certainly make a difference, if not now then in a few years from now, where the 5800x won’t make a difference in a few years.

The 3600 is fine, but it’s not adjacent to the 5600x in gaming.

I'd argue that the performance uplift in gaming for zen 3 is easily worth the roughly 60 dollar difference. You'd be gaining something around 20-40fps in a lot of games.

If you are pinching pennies, then 3600 is not bad though, especially if you can find it marked down especially cheap.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 29, 2021

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
My current Gaming PC has a EVGA G3 650 power supply running a GTX 2080 FE, 3700X, ASus Tuf Gaming Mobo, NVME and a platter drive, 16gb RAM @ 3GHz. PSU is probably 2-3 years old I'd say. If I were to upgrade to a EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 would I need to upgrade the PSU? no custom cooling or anything that really pulls from the PSU as far as I can remember.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 29, 2021

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how handy you are but if you already have a dremel and some know how you can pull everything from the case, measure carefully, and dremel out a space for the radiator at the top of the case. If you want to do this make sure you have eye protection and you absolutely must vacuum the case out and sand the edges where you dremeled before reassembling.

I'd cover the top of the case with masking tape, put the rad on and look at where the mounting holes go (push a screw through each hole to mark the tape once you have the rad where you want it), then draw a line with a ruler where you need to cut and go slowly and carefully. I've done this to mount fans before and the rad would be above the pump which is ideal anyways. If you don't feel comfortable with this don't do it obviously but if I was in your shoes and couldn't change the case I'd be doing that.
I seriously thought about this but it seemed like way too much work for the saving.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

can you split the fans/radiator and mount one behind the mesh?

ie:

I though about it but it seemed a hell of lot of work and the amount of room at the front of the case (which has a plastic fronting a few centimetres deep) would have meant that airflow would be highly restricted regardless of whether the fans or the rads were in that part of the case.

Is that one of the older style fractal cases?
Almost all of them now come with a removable top, and most come with a vented option for top mounting a rad. I’d probably be looking to do that if I was in that situation.

Or shove half the rad being the mesh like someone else said. Or the smaller noctua fans on the rad.

Must be I guess? It was newly purchased this month so if it was an old model, it was old stock.

Many thanks for the input all. Given the work involved I just switched out the water cooler for a Noctua D15S which seems to keep things sufficiently cool even under heavy overclocking.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Old PC on the fritz. Repair or build new?

• What country are you in? US
  • What are you using the system for? Light gaming, general use
  • What's your budget? Whatever, looking for advice really
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Anything would be an improvement by this point :v:

Ok so I'm getting a hardware failure on my ~5 year old PC and I've diagnosed it to one of the big three: CPU, mobo, or PSU. Computer will flick on, then off, then on, then off at about 2 second intervals.

I checked the leads on the PSU with a multimeter and they all seemed like the correct voltages. No idea if the power is still clean but I only buy high rated power supplies by well known companies, probably an Antec or a Rosewill

LGA 1150 Intel CPU
ASRock B85M Pro4

So my options as I see it are:

1. Get a replacement motherboard and hope the CPU is fine
  2. Get an upgraded CPU and hope the motherboard is fine
  3. Get a new one of both, and either hope the PSU is fine or get a new power supply too

While I'd love a new GPU, that's been pretty :lol: lately and my old Radeon hunkajunk was perfectly adequate for my needs.

Just wondering what other people would recommend in my situation. I have friends near a micro center so that's an option too.

Edit: forgot to mention that I can't get the motherboard to POST without the CPU in so I can't diagnose it that way.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 29, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SnatchRabbit posted:

My current Gaming PC has a EVGA G3 650 power supply running a GTX 2080 FE, 3700X, ASus Tuf Gaming Mobo, NVME and a platter drive, 16gb RAM @ 3GHz. PSU is probably 2-3 years old I'd say. If I were to upgrade to a EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 would I need to upgrade the PSU? no custom cooling or anything that really pulls from the PSU as far as I can remember.

That will :turianass: probably :turianass: be fine, but EVGA do recommend a 750W PSU for that 3070Ti while only 650W for the 2080 you have...

I would upgrade, if it were me, because I like to have enough overhead that the PSU will actually stay in the gold-rated zone, so ymmv.

DarkHorse posted:

• If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Anything would be an improvement by this point :v:

Ok so I'm getting a hardware failure on my ~5 year old PC and I've diagnosed it to one of the big three: CPU, mobo, or PSU. Computer will flick on, then off, then on, then off at about 2 second intervals.

I checked the leads on the PSU with a multimeter and they all seemed like the correct voltages. No idea if the power is still clean but I only buy high rated power supplies by well known companies, probably an Antec or a Rosewill

LGA 1150 Intel CPU
ASRock B85M Pro4

3. Get a new one of both, and either hope the PSU is fine or get a new power supply too

While I'd love a new GPU, that's been pretty :lol: lately and my old Radeon hunkajunk was perfectly adequate for my needs.

Just wondering what other people would recommend in my situation. I have friends near a micro center so that's an option too.

It's a great time to upgrade, but you are still looking at ~$600 USD to replace everything but the GPU in a bargain-basement gaming setup.

No diagnostic readouts on the mobo? If not, you are down to swapping parts and hoping you pick the right one, which could cost you as much as a new upgrade if you guess incorrectly and can't return.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DarkHorse posted:

LGA 1150 Intel CPU
ASRock B85M Pro4

I had one generation prior to your CPU and when I looked into upgrading my system, I thought "this poo poo is almost 10 years old, I might as well just get the most current gen and really feel that upgrade." They just dropped new processors, and some are cheap but you'll essentially be doubling your performance on a single core. Also moving to DDR4 memory will boosts performance.

Just take the hit and get an 11000 series CPU/mobo/memory, it's like 6 generations of intel cpus upgrade.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's a great time to upgrade, but you are still looking at ~$600 USD to replace everything but the GPU in a bargain-basement gaming setup.

No diagnostic readouts on the mobo? If not, you are down to swapping parts and hoping you pick the right one, which could cost you as much as a new upgrade if you guess incorrectly and can't return.

That's basically what I was thinking. Yeah, mobo doesn't say/do anything unless the CPU is in, and when it's in it just flicks on/off. Money isn't a huge issue thankfully, just as long as they're good value

How much have power requirements grown in the past five years? Should I just get a new power supply so it's in warranty and I don't have to worry if it's adequate for new parts or if I decide to get a new GPU when things settle down?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

That's basically what I was thinking. Yeah, mobo doesn't say/do anything unless the CPU is in, and when it's in it just flicks on/off. Money isn't a huge issue thankfully, just as long as they're good value

How much have power requirements grown in the past five years? Should I just get a new power supply so it's in warranty and I don't have to worry if it's adequate for new parts or if I decide to get a new GPU when things settle down?

If your PSU has a 10-year warranty and is only 5 years old, it's probably good...

...but I always recommend just getting a new PSU when upgrading: it adds ~10% to the cost of the system and its the one component that can destroy all of the others.
:shrug:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If your PSU has a 10-year warranty and is only 5 years old, it's probably good...

...but I always recommend just getting a new PSU when upgrading: it adds ~10% to the cost of the system and its the one component that can destroy all of the others.
:shrug:

Yup, my attitude as well. It's just harder because I usually give my old PC as a hand-me-down and I'm not sure that will be an option now

So, anything egregiously wrong with this list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
Total: $822.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-29 13:07 EDT-0400

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Just over two months in and my ASUS b550 f wifi mother board has crapped out. It won’t recognize when the Ethernet cable is plugged in(cable works fine on other PCs) and Windows no longer even sees that my board has wifi. I downloaded the latest drivers but that didn’t work, even after i reinstalled windows.

Opened an RMA ticket with Asus, but I might make the hour and a half drive to the microcenter I bought it from to see if I can exchange it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Yup, my attitude as well. It's just harder because I usually give my old PC as a hand-me-down and I'm not sure that will be an option now

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
Total: $822.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-29 13:07 EDT-0400

What’s your future GPU plan? 650w may be underpowered depending.

Otherwise build looks great

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

This motherboard is functional but stands out to me as very cheap and bare bones compared to everything else on the list. I'd suggest at the least finding a cheap B550 board for potential future PCIe 4 benefits.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Personally I don't think a 2080 to a 3070ti is enough of an upgrade to be worth however much you'd spend on the new GPU, unless you can get it at RRP and you're planning on selling the 2080 for scalper prices.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 29, 2021

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

What’s your future GPU plan? 650w may be underpowered depending.

Otherwise build looks great

I'm building a 5600x machine right now, with a 1060 in it until I can get a 3060 or maybe 3070. Let's assume I find a 3070 somewhere down the line.

Is 650W not enough?

ben shapino fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 30, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ben shapino posted:

I'm building a 5600x machine right now, with a 1060 in it until I can get a 3060 or maybe 3070. Let's assume I find a 3070 somewhere down the line.

Is 650W not enough?

650W should be more than sufficient for a 3070 and 5600x. I'd only worry about that wattage if you upgrade your CPU and/or GPU to higher-end models.

It's one of those things where if you already have a solid 650 watter, then don't bother upgrading, it's e-waste and a waste of money. But if you're building a computer from scratch, then giving yourself a bit of extra headroom on the PSU makes sense.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

650W should be more than sufficient for a 3070 and 5600x. I'd only worry about that wattage if you upgrade your CPU and/or GPU to higher-end models.

It's one of those things where if you already have a solid 650 watter, then don't bother upgrading, it's e-waste and a waste of money. But if you're building a computer from scratch, then giving yourself a bit of extra headroom on the PSU makes sense.

This. Use your 650 if you have it and it’s in warranty.

Buy a 750w+ if you’re buying new so if you end up with a 3080 or upgrade later you won’t have to upgrade the PSU again (I did this. Bought a 550w and had to upgrade for my 3080 with 7.5 years left on the warranty)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I just upgraded my case from a years-old clunker bought because it was cheap and decently sized, to a Fractal Define Mini C. It's the most thoughtfully-designed case I've owned since a Lian Li that I had back circa 2003.

I know "Fractal makes good cases" is hardly news to anyone, so just take this as a datapoint.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

MSI has this cartoon dragon mascot that they never use in their actual product design (which I'm sure a lot of gamers sick of perpetually-stuck-in-early-2010s 'gamer aesthetics' would enjoy) but they will make a PC that looks like a giant severed head of zer0 from borderlands 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spacedad posted:

MSI has this cartoon dragon mascot that they never use in their actual product design (which I'm sure a lot of gamers sick of perpetually-stuck-in-early-2010s 'gamer aesthetics' would enjoy) but they will make a PC that looks like a giant severed head of zer0 from borderlands 2.

It costs $3400 and looks like this irl lmao