Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Sydal vs Martin 5 4.55%
Bunny vs Statlander 8 7.27%
Ego vs Bear 2 1.82%
Hangman vs Powerhouse 10 9.09%
Omega vs Boy 85 77.27%
Total: 110 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

Obviously the Elite are the EVPs and Mox is the ace and Hangman's the future star but in many ways Eddie feels like the soul of AEW. His personal story of hustling in the minor leagues for two decades before finally getting a shot at the big time is a perfect mirror for the state of wrestling in America and I feel like more than anyone he symbolises what AEW is trying to be.

Yeah, you nailed it IMO. Even if Vince or Paul had given him a chance in the WWE (possibly while drunk / stoned off their gourd, thinking he was a 6'7" superman) he would've been stuck carrying bags and polishing boots for the Undertaker before getting dumped in catering until his contract ran out.

In AEW he was given a chance and he loving ran with it to become a seeming locker room leader, and an insanely over babyface despite having a very ordinary physique. Which, you know, we've been led to believe is a concrete wall blocking access to wrestling success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's WWE's fault. Most not-big-muscled dudes in Vince's house of beef got over by themselves because the boss is stuck at counting pills and syringes backstage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sticklefifer posted:

I almost feel like his feud with Mox was a misstep because it totally seems out of character for someone like Eddie to care more about a title belt than his FAMLEE.

That feud literally was about his family. Eddie's mother was a significant part of the undercurrent of that feud and his motivations. And Eddie has said, outright, the title is the one thing in the world that matters most to him, it's the most important thing in the world, he would sell out his friends and do ANYTHING to get it.

He took the belt, his literal family and his wrestling family and tied them all together into an arc that started at All Out and ended at Revolution, it all totally made sense for his character.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm probably gonna write an effortpost now about Kingston's arc in AEW because it's so loving great and that promo between him and Mox before Full Gear is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in a wrestling show, ever.

Anyway, this sums things up:
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1409311573684989952

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Finally got around to listening to the Inner Circle TiJ on Stadium Stampede 2, fun show with lots of tidbits. Some known, some I hadn't heard.

-They were originally told they had gotten the rights for DMX but last minute found out the family had not signed off on it.
-Upon hearing they had the rights to DMX Jericho told Santana he got it for him as a present only to find out later they didn't have it.
-Megha was offered Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks" which they turned down.
-Jericho tried to get Running with the Devil for him and MJF but they were quoted $500K for a one time use.
-They originally wanted to repel out of a helicopter but Tony is anti-helicopter.
-Sammy wanted to bump out of the helicopter, off the shelves and apparently off the stairs last year too. All were obviously nixed.
-Sammy was told he could not do anything with the scissor lift.
-The chair room is an actual room where all of the chairs are stored.
-The stunt coordinator was someone Hager knew and is married to Taryn Terrell.
-Urban Meyer was Tony's idea.
-They were all terrified climbing the scoreboard, Hager is afraid of heights.
-They originally wanted to zipline into the stadium but it would cost $50,000 more.

They still obviously love being a unit.

Also:

https://twitter.com/BackupHangman/status/1409856174149844995

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 29, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MassRafTer posted:

lmao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

-Sammy wanted to bump out of the helicopter

Sammy why

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Some fun things happening on Dark.

Zachariah is Zac Taylor, a Texas indie guy who trained me! Thought I had spotted him in the crowd on Dynamite.

Also, the debut of Holidead which seems long overdue with her ties to Rosa. Plus, Hyan who I remember being super good.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1409881844049354752
https://twitter.com/LuisQWorks/status/1409881000948252672
https://twitter.com/_thehyan/status/1409880286586867727

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Also whoever was in charge of hiring extras for the club scene only hired men so Jericho told them it's a club it needs women in it too. Filming went so late that all the female extras bailed so the two women in the club were the legendary Megha and someone else I forget. Megha's Instagram handle is now "Legal Girl" thanks to Konnan.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Rarity posted:

Sammy why

We need to find out if anyone voted for this to happen in the prediction game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Tony is anti-helicopter.

It was a good run everybody, back to watching Raw.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Having watched the "Cursed Films" documentary on the Twilight Zone movie, thank you Tony for being anti-helicopter.

That said, let Sammy bump off the top of a skyscraper or something by cutting to a very obvious dummy being thrown off. Then just cut to the ground and he's like "oh man, I fell so far!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Having watched the "Cursed Films" documentary on the Twilight Zone movie, thank you Tony for being anti-helicopter.

That said, let Sammy bump off the top of a skyscraper or something by cutting to a very obvious dummy being thrown off. Then just cut to the ground and he's like "oh man, I fell so far!"

Only if Tony gets the rights to “Sabotage” to play during the spot

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Given the Kahns own a Premiere League team, this probably has something to do with Tony's position on helicopters and stadiums.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

blunt posted:

Given the Kahns own a Premiere League team

Do they?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sometimes!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

IDK i'm a weirdo that watches wrestling not a weirdo that watches football 🤷‍♂️

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

- Hyan vs Abadon
- Arjun Singh vs Angelico
- Ashley D'Amboise vs Julia Hart
- Holidead vs Nyla Rose
- The Blade vs Sonny Kiss
- Baron Black vs Wardlow
- Chad Lennex & Zachariah vs QT Marshall & Aaron Solow
- Sage Scott & Jake St. Patrick vs The Wingmen (Ryan Nemeth & Cezar Bononi)
- Charlette Renegade vs Tay Conti
- Powerhouse Hobbs vs Marko Stunt
- JD Drake vs Frankie Kazarian
- JDX vs Shawn Dean
- Kenny Bengal vs Lance Archer
- Private Party & Jack Evans vs Dark Order (Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, & Colt Cabana)
- Vary Morales vs Lee Johnson

Some awesome matches here if they get time.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pylons posted:

- JDX vs Shawn Dean

About goddamn time we saw The Captain again and well past time he got his first win.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pylons posted:

- Powerhouse Hobbs vs Marko Stunt

:rip:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MassRafTer posted:

Sometimes!

Not right now!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
All this talk about how AEW lets wrestlers develop their own character and the office is really receptive to ideas and they won't let Sammy bump off a helicopter.
Also, Holidead has been conspicuous by her absence in Dark, given how many MPW wrestlers have come through there - hopefully she'll get to do stuff, Nyla's been on a roll squashing people.
This claims to be the full card: the captain Shawn Dean returns to action, JD Drake and Kaz beating the hell out of each other, and another Indian wrestler.
https://twitter.com/KaydrianWebb/status/1409890009054945285
e:fb
e2: lol Marko v Hobbs

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 29, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It really shows in Sammy's one vlog, I've mentioned it before but him and Jericho are cracking jokes while Hager is standing there like he's facing a firing squad.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

blunt posted:

Given the Kahns own a Premiere League team, this probably has something to do with Tony's position on helicopters and stadiums.

That and Kobe Bryant who I think Jericho namechecks in the same podcast.

gently caress helicopters, keep them well away from anything and everything.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

The feud was absolutely him being mad at Mox for abandoning him with the title being incidental.

God damned that was a great build. Every week was one amazing promo after another.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hell yeah, it's been way too long since we got a Marko squash like this.

Excited for JD Drake vs Kaz, Baron Black vs Wardlow, another Chaos vs Bullet Club HFO vs Dark Order tag, and Holidead!!!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Finally got around to listening to the Inner Circle TiJ on Stadium Stampede 2, fun show with lots of tidbits. Some known, some I hadn't heard.

-They were originally told they had gotten the rights for DMX but last minute found out the family had not signed off on it.
-Upon hearing they had the rights to DMX Jericho told Santana he got it for him as a present only to find out later they didn't have it.
-Megha was offered Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks" which they turned down.
-Jericho tried to get Running with the Devil for him and MJF but they were quoted $500K for a one time use.
-They originally wanted to repel out of a helicopter but Tony is anti-helicopter.
-Sammy wanted to bump out of the helicopter, off the shelves and apparently off the stairs last year too. All were obviously nixed.
-The chair room is an actual room where all of the chairs are stored.
-The stunt coordinator was someone Hager knew and is married to Taryn Terrell.
-Urban Meyer was Tony's idea.
-They originally wanted to zipline into the stadium but it would cost $50,000 more.

They still obviously love being a unit.

Also:

https://twitter.com/BackupHangman/status/1409856174149844995

I love this because this means that at any moment Jericho is burying Disco.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

does Disco still podcast with Konnan?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Poor Hobbs, he had a good run

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

So is Leyla Hirsch out of rotation for these shows? Feels like a while since I saw her.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

So is Leyla Hirsch out of rotation for these shows? Feels like a while since I saw her.

Wasn't she on Dynamite like a week and a half ago? When was her match with Nyla?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Wasn't she on Dynamite like a week and a half ago? When was her match with Nyla?

Looked it up and it was two weeks ago (it was the episode on the 11th). So maybe she's just not been on the current round of tapings.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

How far you think he can throw Marko?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

i hope we find out

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

All the way.

whatever "all the way" means to you, that is how far.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lamuella posted:

Looked it up and it was two weeks ago (it was the episode on the 11th). So maybe she's just not been on the current round of tapings.

She was favoring her arm up in that match in a way that could’ve also been selling, but didn’t seem that way, so maybe an injury. Or they’re planning on using her Wednesday so they gave her Saturday off.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW should make one of the web games where you throw marko ridiculously far. If you go far enough he crashes through time which creates infinite markos and eventually buries the universe under the strain of Markoism.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Marko's gonna stick a piece of tape on the catwalks

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, Holidead has been conspicuous by her absence in Dark, given how many MPW wrestlers have come through there - hopefully she'll get to do stuff, Nyla's been on a roll squashing people.

An interaction with Abadon would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

My Lovely Horse posted:

It really shows in Sammy's one vlog, I've mentioned it before but him and Jericho are cracking jokes while Hager is standing there like he's facing a firing squad.

Hager got pretty much the only laugh he's ever gotten out of me, he said something like "I'm shaking, I'm out of breath, I feel a little sick...that's just from climbing the stairs"

https://twitter.com/realmarkostunt/status/1409891151373647874?s=20