Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Q is going to come down to earth on a bird u morans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BeefThief posted:

If these are von Neumann probes there should be no problem destroying them and trying to reverse-engineer any available tech, right?

Well they could be so advanced that their intelligence is akin to ours and then it becomes an ethical question

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Dinosaurs were on this planet for over a hundred and fifty million years, billions and billions of animals running around all over every corner of the earth over the course of millions of years. But all we have to show for it is maybe eleven or twelve thousand fossilized skeletons and some footprints. The crust of the earth gets refreshed and replaced over geological time scales. A global thermonuclear war in the Triassic, for example, would leave no radiological trace whatsoever today. I think you seriously overestimate the likelihood of things (artifacts or individuals) being preserved, or indirect traces (radiological, carbon, mineralogical, etc.) being distinguishable from the background. Do you really think organic hydrocarbons like plastic aren’t going to break down on a timescale of hundreds of thousands, or millions of years? It’s totally absurd (especially in the UFO thread of all places) to dismiss a Silurian possibility out of hand. It’s much more probable that we missed something on Earth, where we know life exists and existed, than out in the stars somewhere.

So are you saying lizards built the pyramids????

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

euphronius posted:

You cant actually go faster than the speed of light. Even if we did it would only be useful to going to the future relative to someone not going as fast as you. The past doesn't exist. it's gone. You can't go back to it.

it’s a lot more complex than that at light speed time stops moving. if you could go ftl and invented a banging rear end telescope you could go far enough away to see the earth in the past and watch aliens doing dog fights before we destroyed their dimension with a nuclear bomb

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rah! posted:

so ur saying its birds

u think the peregrine falcon goes that fast just by diving? lol multiple species have evolved afterburners and scientists are just too afraid to tell us the truth

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There's probably some big pyramids and stuff we've missed/were erased by time

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Inspector Hound posted:

ya and some of the pyramids were probably spaceships that flew away

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

can someone get in here and give me the radiocarbon dating technique used to measure a civilization that built 50+ arcologies and all launched off to space

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

when are these aliens going to show themselves? i'm loving bored of uaps. i can look at the sky and see regular planes and fighter jets that i can't build myself either, but i don't give a gently caress.

and these aliens better have better anal probing techniques than have been reported because i'd take kirk johnson in the galactic probe competition any day of the week

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what a difference a few years makes

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/08/end-of-ufos.html

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

they're called UAP now - the pedophiles at nymag just decided to retire the word

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Butternubs posted:

So are you saying lizards built the pyramids????

the k-t extinction event was caused by negligent tyrannosauroid asteroid miners. Jim Henson’s Dinosaurs! is a dramatization of historical events.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

*as i am being buried by a brontosaurus making GBS threads on me* any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Birds

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

the troodon humanoid rules, love that lil guy

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

clever girl

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
if you reject the Silurian hypothesis it’s because you’re insecure of how fleeting and minuscule our own civilization will be on our own planet. there won’t be a trace of us for the dolphin-octopode hybrid archaeologists to detect except a single fossilized Garfield phone that landed in a patch of sediment and gets exposed on a craggy hillside in ten million years and the locals grind it up to use in witchcraft

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

even here in the US, the Mississippi valley is covered in earthen mounds that were topped with homes and temples and stuff, that were eventually abandoned, and just a few hundred years later many of them ended up looking like small hills rather than man-made structures. If you dig into one you find signs of past human settlement, but just looking, you might not know. Now what would it look like after several hundred thousand or a couple million years? Of course the people who built the mounds didn't have plastic and advanced hyperpiss alloys, which might stick around longer, not to mention theres no left over record of the pollution from industrial processes needed to build advanced stuff in an ancient society...but what if it was technically possible to create warp bubbles with nothing more than the vigorous charging of crystals, and the correct technique. There is that one report of a man flying inside a bubble, with his hands between his legs, as if grasping a "joystick". We must be open to all possibilities

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rah! posted:

even here in the US, the Mississippi valley is covered in earthen mounds that were topped with homes and temples and stuff, that were eventually abandoned, and just a few hundred years later many of them ended up looking like small hills rather than man-made structures. If you dig into one you find signs of past human settlement, but just looking, you might not know. Now what would it look like after several hundred thousand or a couple million years? Of course the people who built the mounds didn't have plastic and advanced hyperpiss alloys, which might stick around longer, not to mention theres no left over record of the pollution from industrial processes needed to build advanced stuff in an ancient society...but what if it was technically possible to create warp bubbles with nothing more than the vigorous charging of crystals, and the correct technique. There is that one report of a man flying inside a bubble, with his hands between his legs, as if grasping a "joystick". We must be open to all possibilities

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vomik posted:

it’s a lot more complex than that at light speed time stops moving. if you could go ftl and invented a banging rear end telescope you could go far enough away to see the earth in the past and watch aliens doing dog fights before we destroyed their dimension with a nuclear bomb

I don’t think a telescope the size of a galaxy could resolve that level of detail unless it were like in the solar system

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

I don’t think a telescope the size of a galaxy could resolve that level of detail unless it were like in the solar system

we can work out the telescope details once we complete the ftl machine

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

aliens if you're reading this I'll take one Wonder Woman plane please. I'm really good at flight simulator 2020 (only crash sometimes) so I'll take good care of it

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

that happened to me once

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

endocriminologist posted:

that happened to me once

thats a bird of prey suffering from anaphylactic shock

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Vomik posted:

thats a bird of prey suffering from anaphylactic shock

haha yeah :/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

birds already evolved a better !!! two legged walking / running body. the humonid upright stance is garbage . we’d be better off as birds. I hope the aliens are birds

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drake no: aliens

drake yes: hyper-advanced prehistoric civilisation of matriarchal shamans subjugating men by astrological magic and albuquerque drives

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Atlantis is real and it was in Bolivia. google it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

birds already evolved a better !!! two legged walking / running body. the humonid upright stance is garbage . we’d be better off as birds. I hope the aliens are birds

could you imagine seeing creatures flying of their own volition and then deciding advanced species have to walk, lol. if these fuckers dont have wings i'm going to be pissed

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Atlantis is real and it was in Bolivia. google it.

fake news

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

drake no: aliens

drake yes: hyper-advanced prehistoric civilisation of matriarchal shamans subjugating men by astrological magic and albuquerque drives

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

fake news

john atlantis, great guy

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

the ship doors open and a super advanced race of pauly shore clones who only refer to ehmselves as encino man emerge

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

i met falco from star fox [not lying this time]

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
if life, intelligence, and technology arose on earth before the Boring Billion and wiped itself out to microbes or worse we wouldn’t have any real way to know about it today. although there’s some evidence of macroscopic life rolling around as long as 2 billion years ago https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099438

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat, what are the chances they evolved into developing the same zipper tech we did

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Hooplah posted:

drat, what are the chances they evolved into developing the same zipper tech we did

zippers are a universal construct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Hooplah posted:

they got that from egyptians or perhaps sumerians, who also loved zippers