Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm fairly certain that someone in this thread, or used to be in this thread, had a dilemma years ago where Reginald D Hunter was trying to hook up with his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

blunt posted:

This isn't how jokes work!

e;fb

Or is it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

What happened to Dylan Moran anyway? He was in basically every British film and sitcom made in the 2000s but I've not seen him in years.
I sort of get the impression he just made enough money to live comfortably and then stopped.He still tours small venues and I think released a DVD a few years ago but honestly, don't blame him.

learnincurve posted:

He also appeared in the Aunt Flo and transphobic it crowd episodes and I can’t remember him apologising for either or condemning Linham.
The average person not wanting to involve themselves with the shitshow that is apology culture does not make them transphobic. Where do you suggest he post the apology, with Linehan's legal team removing google results linking his surname with the word transphobia?

He fell out with Fox after his QT appearance and has never personally said anything transphobic. I think that's about as good as you can expect from your average person.

As far as voice acting goes, most people don't get the slightest info about their characters before they sign a binding contract, especially new actors. Marisha Ray has talked about getting ripped off by being paid scale for 'a soldier in a multiplayer game' only to find it was the female stormtrooper in StarWars Battlefront. Laura Bailey accused of 'stealing work' from POC after accepting a voice role that turned out to be Nadine in Uncharted when she was literally given a casting that said 'female voice' and was later turned latinx.

(E: my point being that Ayoade was likely given a brief of 'funny onion' and locked into a contract, and the same probably happened with the IT crowd. It can be bankruptcy expensive for an actor to leave a contract).

I really don't think this is a situation where you can imply tory or transphobic motives onto Ayoade without the kind of lovely guilt by association nonsense that idiots like Piers Morgan rely on to make the progressive left look bad.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 29, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I saw Nish Kumar a couple of years back at the Hay festival, and he was very cross about the Tories. He goes in the good column.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can't stand the IT Crowd, I dunno, not that I'm any kind of qualified writer or comedian or anything but when your watching a show and feeling like your coming up with better punchlines than those on screen its never gonna be a winner

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OzyMandrill posted:

I saw Nish Kumar a couple of years back at the Hay festival, and he was very cross about the Tories. He goes in the good column.
He is on a few lefty podcasts, most notably TrashFuture where they regularly torment him with books by Tory MPs.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are both very poor films, that's my hot take

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't stand the IT Crowd, I dunno, not that I'm any kind of qualified writer or comedian or anything but when your watching a show and feeling like your coming up with better punchlines than those on screen its never gonna be a winner

I remember finding bits of it really funny but I watched one a few weeks ago to see if I misremembered. There are still some good bits but a hell of a lot of very mid-2000s stuff that had not aged well. I feel like the cast make up for the writing quite a bit of the time, Matt Berry is brilliant in every single role he plays and his delivery could make the ingredient list on a shampoo bottle sound hilarious. Here's hoping he's not a big Tory. He's not really spoken about politics afaik so I have him in the same mental box as David Mitchell where I am very suspicious but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 29, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

Stfu nerd.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThomasPaine posted:

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are both very poor films, that's my hot take

What the gently caress is going on in this thread today?

Has everyone been on the piss since 9am because of the football?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Algol Star posted:

Julius Caesar wasn't a king :colbert:

Got stabbed for trying it though!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sebzilla posted:

I'm being a little edgy lol

Shaun of the Dead was pretty good but I don't think it's quite as good as people make out. Hot Fuzz I just really didn't like for some reason, maybe I need to give it another go. World's End passed me by, should probably watch it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sebzilla posted:

we are all reminiscing about bad mid 2000's british tv like the Mighty Boosh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES, UBER ALLES IN DER WELT

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Shaun of the Dead was pretty good but I don't think it's quite as good as people make out. Hot Fuzz I just really didn't like for some reason, maybe I need to give it another go. World's End passed me by, should probably watch it.

I was going to quote Twisto's 'we are now enemies' thing from earlier at you but if you're in an edgy mode, maybe not!

I really liked Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz. But World's End - nah. Didn't work for me.

I only ever saw a couple of episodes of The IT Crowd as I was living abroad when it aired and I've never bothered to see it on Catch Up. The episodes I saw seemed on a par with Colchester 123 :corsair: in terms of acting, scenes, lines. (While being on a totally different subject matter!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 29, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Worlds End is the worst of the three, but that's because despite it's bodysnatchers premise, it's the most down to earth and realistically tragic of them all, in a way that isn't as funny as in Shaun of the Dead. So it's not as good a comedy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

There's football? :tinsley:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

sebzilla posted:

TP having suspect preferences shouldn't be news to the thread.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

World's End is pretty widely acknowledged to be the worst one by far. I think it does some interesting stuff and some parts are really tragic, but it's not particularly funny or memorable.

SotD and Hot Fuzz are both GOAT films though and I can't think of much at all that hasn't aged well with them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah from what I can tell Dylan Moran did the smart thing and just bowed out to spend his life with his family instead of endlessly traipsing around the circuit. You could tell in his last few stand up shows that he was maybe getting a bit tired of it, and most of his material was very specifically about being married and having children and not an awful lot else.

Good for him.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Boosh is so painfully of its time that it feels a touch unfair. Its like ragging on the 70s for beige living rooms.

Also Worlds End isn't great. It's still great cinematography, but the story feels a touch thin on occasion. Could have done with more time to sand the edges off.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Spaced still holds up in 2021 and that is a hill that I am willing to die on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Also Worlds End isn't great. It's still great cinematography, but the story feels a touch thin on occasion. Could have done with more time to sand the edges off.

Yeah, I watched it in the cinema immediately after the other two back to back and it was a big step down. Definitely felt like an early draft, needed another run through and a bucket of jokes thrown at it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

keep punching joe posted:

people have said a lot of british television shows of the 1998-2021 era in this thread today and i'd just like to say that Spaced is the single best one anyone said and I'm amazed it took this long

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I actually did really like Spaced, my only criticism was that for most of it I thought they were going to do a refreshingly platonic male/female best friend relationship so I was a little disappointed when they shoehorned in the romance at the end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josef bugman posted:

I also think it suffers from spending too much time in the oven/development hell. SotD came three years after Spaced, and Hot Fuzz came another three years later. Then Pegg, Frost and Wright were all famous enough to be busy with more profitable, high profile gigs and it was six years before World's End got made.

It just sort of felt like they'd lost the momentum that they'd spent a decade building up and the magic was sort of gone. I'd still like them to work together again one day though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

World's End is pretty widely acknowledged to be the worst one by far. I think it does some interesting stuff and some parts are really tragic, but it's not particularly funny or memorable.

SotD and Hot Fuzz are both GOAT films though and I can't think of much at all that hasn't aged well with them.

What is a GOAT film?

:duncescap:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Worlds End is the worst of the three, but that's because despite it's bodysnatchers premise, it's the most down to earth and realistically tragic of them all, in a way that isn't as funny as in Shaun of the Dead. So it's not as good a comedy.

Yeah it wasn't what I was expecting and personally hit way too close to home, so it wasn't exactly larf a minute for me lol

I should probably give it another shot

:hai:

It's like a beautiful dream from a different world these days though

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is a GOAT film?

Greatest Of All Time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is a GOAT film?

(Also Greatest of All Time)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

There’s not much. looks sideways at Frost pulling up in the car in SotD.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I've previously mentioned that I don't really "do" video content (e.g. I have no idea what Kieth sounds like, sorry crispix), but I have been building my little RSS list of interesting Youtubers. It's definitely nice to see things outside of a highly regimented, gatekept context, with the freedom of just doing what you want (subject to their funding setup - the people lucky enough to have sufficient Patreon income have more freedom than the ones who "monetize" their videos, or are sponsored by the same 4 companies for some reason).

I do wonder what will happen as the people who default to the BBC etc die off, and aren't replaced by younger people with their Netteflicks and U-Bahns. I'm going to guess: something like the horrendous desperate flailing currently happening in print media? A vicious circle of clickbait (or whatever the TV version of that is - eyebait?) which people hate which makes them switch off which makes the media more desperate, forever into a corncob, amen.

Also I have realised that my Youtube list is almost all men and 100% white, so any tips on people who aren't those things, who have interesting things to say in video form, gratefully received!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sebzilla posted:

Greatest Of All Time

I went to see that in the cinema and it was awful. Not even in the "I don't like this but I can see why others would" just straight up ridicule from my party of 4.

What a weird movie

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

When did SCP really take off? My kids (11 and 9, Christ I’m old now) and their peer group are super into it, whereas to me it’s mildly interesting fanfiction-level stuff. There’s YouTube explainer videos now and everything.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spaced was to the sitcom what the Pixies were to alternative music.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Spaced was to the sitcom what the Pixies were to alternative music.

Everyone who watched spaced wrote a sitcom?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Beefeater1980 posted:

When did SCP really take off? My kids (11 and 9, Christ I’m old now) and their peer group are super into it, whereas to me it’s mildly interesting fanfiction-level stuff. There’s YouTube explainer videos now and everything.

it's been around for ages and steadily gaining popularity, not sure if there was a bump at some point or something though. i think i started casually seeing "SCP xxxx explained" videos probably around a couple years ago

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's kind of cool that it's still popular, I remember reading these as a teenager and I even wrote one that's still up there, somehow. It feels like a bit of old internet that has somehow survived to a new era.

e: haha aww wow, people actually took the time to translate my old lovely spooky story into Russian and Chinese and stuff, that's such a lovely feeling :)

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 29, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/st...aypost515845822

PawParole posted:

if you know how hellworld works, you’d know that Gorgeous Georgie will be the next pm after Brexit Day. It’s already written in the stars.

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't matter how much you keep posting it, george galloway is not the next big thing in UK politics.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Crowd at Wembley booing the German national anthem.

I don't go in for nationalism as a concept but loving hell I hate the English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobstar posted:

e.g. I have no idea what Kieth sounds like, sorry crispix)

Crispix's impressions are 100% accurate