Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Blitter posted:

Note that testing or reporting testing results for vaccinated persons is not required in the US. So no way to capture PAMS cases.

Sorry, what are PAMS cases?

(Google was not helpful here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Presymptomatic, asymptomatic, mild symptoms

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

A Fancy Hat posted:

Has anyone recently had any luck convincing vaccine-hesitant people to get the jab?

75% of my wife's family refuses to get it and we're both getting really nervous about what that means for them as PA is now pretty much completely opened up. My BiL is a huge Trump supporter that's currently torpedoing his entire life so I figure he's a lost cause, but I'd like to be a little more comfortable knowing my in-laws might make it through this fall without (at least) a week's stay in the hospital or permanent damage to their lungs and heart.

Should I just consider it useless at this point or does anyone have advice that's worked for them?

Had some vaccine hesitant family members. Luckily we always have a family retreat. Basically vaccinated family members told the hesitant "no vaccine=no invite." After grumblings about MAH FREEDOMS, they got the jab when they realized the family was serious about keeping them at home.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Doesn't affect me personally but if I was convincing unvaccinated to get it I would mention all the families separated worldwide waiting for their respective countries to get their poo poo together

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/business/status/1409890108610957322?s=21

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Big City Drinkin posted:

Presymptomatic, asymptomatic, mild symptoms

Thanks. I feel like I should have been able to make it there on my own, but :eng99:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can't wait to inherit the ruins of the Old World with my Moderna brethren.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
My sister’s been trying to get her mother in law to get vaccinated, talked about a fully vaccine family birthday party we went to, how everyone on our side of the family are vaccinated, won’t let her babysit the new baby without vaccinating. The vaccinated grandmother in law even rubbed it in by making a show of unmasked kissy faces with the baby (she’s not happy with the mother in law being unvaccinated either since it means the father in law is just going to do what she does too).

Still won’t do it, they’re convinced they can keep masking up and wait out COVID instead. We’re in one of the higher vaccinated areas of the country, but most the places I went this weekend are fully mask-less and the delta variant is coming so best of luck to them, I guess. Her brother in law has the same plan, but he works retail so even if he’s younger he’s going to get exposed constantly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

yook posted:

My sister’s been trying to get her mother in law to get vaccinated, talked about a fully vaccine family birthday party we went to, how everyone on our side of the family are vaccinated, won’t let her babysit the new baby without vaccinating. The vaccinated grandmother in law even rubbed it in by making a show of unmasked kissy faces with the baby (she’s not happy with the mother in law being unvaccinated either since it means the father in law is just going to do what she does too).

Still won’t do it, they’re convinced they can keep masking up and wait out COVID instead. We’re in one of the higher vaccinated areas of the country, but most the places I went this weekend are fully mask-less and the delta variant is coming so best of luck to them, I guess. Her brother in law has the same plan, but he works retail so even if he’s younger he’s going to get exposed constantly.

What are they afraid of, specifically? Anyone that chooses not to get the covid vaccine is scared, sure, but I want to know specifically of what. You can't separate it from the fear, which is always ignorance an most certainly at least skirts conspiracies.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

KakerMix posted:

What are they afraid of, specifically? Anyone that chooses not to get the covid vaccine is scared, sure, but I want to know specifically of what. You can't separate it from the fear, which is always ignorance an most certainly at least skirts conspiracies.

I know my wife's family ranges from literal "It's the mark of the beast" (her dad) to "Well it's just not tested enough and I don't trust it" (her mom).

It may shock you to discover that they are also hardcore conservatives and evangelicals.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I know my wife's family ranges from literal "It's the mark of the beast" (her dad) to "Well it's just not tested enough and I don't trust it" (her mom).

It may shock you to discover that they are also hardcore conservatives and evangelicals.

People are welcome to practice whatever religion they want but when are we going to mark groups that do this in the name of religion as harmful like, publicly

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

KakerMix posted:

She made some vague reference to neurological side effects. I assume it’s some anti-vaccine misinformation floating around. I’m not sure they’re online enough for Facebook, could be they heard it from a relative or something. I get the impression that part of the family tree is mostly unvaccinated since she was apparently surprised our half of the family is fully vaccinated.

I also get the impression they are way over concerned with the possibility of getting sick a few days from the second dose even though my sis did manage to browbeat her hubby to get vaccinated for the kid and he had zero side effects from it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

yook posted:

She made some vague reference to neurological side effects. I assume it’s some anti-vaccine misinformation floating around.

The neurological effects of long haul covid are well understood and devastating. Maybe it will be a good idea for your family to look at some support groups/Facebook groups for people suffering with covid for over a year, in some cases, including brain fog and feeling slow.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

yook posted:

She made some vague reference to neurological side effects.

Maybe she is right and every single person who has been vaccinated is suffering from the same neurological side effect, SMOOtheBRAIN19
it would certainly explain why the posting around here has gotten so much shittier since we all got jabbed

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/PharmacistMama/status/1409921246268112898

The Antivaxxer Qanon Sovereign Citizen mashup thing we've got going in Canada is getting weirder and weirder

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Everyone knows that all diseases that don't put the country in lockdown are fake. That is why nobody ever gets the common cold or the flu.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tucker Carlson? :v:

Last I checked he was still refusing to confirm his vaxx status

I think he was talking about Trump. He got the Pfizer vaccine back in January but it wasn't publicly known until well after he was out of office. He probably could have done some good had he not kept it hidden. Maybe a few chuds would have seen their god king getting the vax and decided that maybe it was ok after all. But nope.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe a few chuds would have seen their god king getting the vax and decided that maybe it was ok after all. But nope.

Ooh I wouldn't bet on that

https://twitter.com/austinkellerman/status/1372862251313532932?lang=en

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1409974944776216579?s=21

Welp

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1409955273465344004?s=20

I don't think we have (known) Delta yet so we'll see if that changes things

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Another Bill posted:

The Antivaxxer Qanon Sovereign Citizen mashup thing we've got going in Canada is getting weirder and weirder

I love the Canadian sov cits that quote American laws because they get their info from US sov cits.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lmao I've been to this town. Boise City is famous for being the only mainland USA town to be bombed in World War II (a pilot on a nearby training exercise confused downtown Boise City for the mock city in the training area, and dropped a bomb on it)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Another Bill posted:

Does Canada, Inc. Corporation have an online store? I'd like some real maple syrup.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Purgatory Glory posted:

I love the Canadian sov cits that quote American laws because they get their info from US sov cits.

I've seen the same thing happen in Australia as well.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

These people seem to know that they're arguments make no sense at all. Also he's the last person they'd like to talk to about it. The lady in particular looked like an rear end though. Enjoy Delta force lady.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Purgatory Glory posted:

These people seem to know that they're arguments make no sense at all.

They learned from the best, they're true MAGA-hearted Trumpers!! Consistent beliefs are for lie-berals

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

A school teacher in Oklahoma (who was really a coach, also taught Biology and was also a minister) told us that Africa is a country. The country of Africa, he said. To which we said: "Africa is not a country", to which he said "yes it is" and we ended up getting detention.

I wish I was kidding.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

To enroll parents had to agree to corporal punishment and the principal kept a collection of spanking memorability in his office. This was in 2004 and it was a public school.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

To this day I don't know how much of my stories come from genuine opinions, or Hicks just like to gently caress with each other. For example, after adapting to this, I (as European exchange student) had half the Football team convinced that in Europe I had, in fact, worked in the coal mines, which was a family tradition.

What I am saying is: These people may be loving with the reporter.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Got moderna'd today. How long until side effects start if they're going to? The timing will be poo poo if I get knocked on my rear end.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

just another posted:

Got moderna'd today. How long until side effects start if they're going to? The timing will be poo poo if I get knocked on my rear end.

less than 8 hours

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

just another posted:

Expect your pubes to fall off in the first 24 hours. Then the anal leakage. Then everything tastes like rubber. Should be back to normal after a week or so. Minus the pubes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

just another posted:

Was the next day for me and my wife, around 12~ hours. For the second shot it was the same but with much worse symptoms, 12~ hours afterwards and we felt like garbage. 24 hours from then we felt great. :toot:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

DickParasite posted:

Expect your pubes to fall off in the first 24 hours. Then the anal leakage. Then everything tastes like rubber. Should be back to normal after a week or so. Minus the pubes.

Imagine it we all decided to inject the vaccine into our balls like you did

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What was this? It’s deleted now.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

sharknado slashfic posted:

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1409955273465344004?s=20

I don't think we have (known) Delta yet so we'll see if that changes things

*anti-vaxx mouthbreathers*

Hmm why isn't it 100%?

See?!?!?! VACCINES DONT WORK!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What was this? It’s deleted now.

Oh weird it was a quote from the CDC stating that like 25% of new cases are the delta variant.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
We really need some "if you're travelling when you get symptoms, stay put and get tested" messaging. Yet another person - who should have been vaccinated given her job - has continued to travel after developing symptoms. It's been confirmed she has Delta and her close contacts are popping positive so the worry is that in the 10 days she was travelling around while infectious she has also passed it on to casual contacts.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sjs00 posted:

Imagine it we all decided to inject the vaccine into our balls like you did

Antibodies gotta be stored somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
people are getting punished for being extroverted and unable to sit still for 2 weeks, and its lol